watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our Captain

Started by Peabody, September 14, 2020, 09:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I have seen a lot of criticism of Tom's performance on Saturday. It's funny how we all see thing's differently, I thought he had a good game, he was involved had and I think he was one of our better performers. As for whether he should be captain, well, that is another argument!!

Whitestone

I agree with you I thought he played well in what was a difficult opener against one of the best sides in the Premier League. An improving Arsenal who on current form would beat most teams in the division.

Mince n Tatties

Agree... Thought he was our best player.

RaySmith

Agree.

As captain- he must bring qualities to the role, or he wouldn't  keep  it, as well as being one of our best players, and his playing position and role too.

Fulham76

Personally, I thought he was becoming more & more invisible during the second half of last season, and the same on Saturday. Although, he seems to be playing much deeper these days, more of a defensive midfielder, than a creative one.

midlandwhites

Sorry, disagree thought he was a passenger and did not have a good game like a couple of others, we need to protect the defenders and need a extra player in midfield, maybe change our formation otherwise these teams will easily beat us with the quality they have.

ALG01

The problem is not TK the problem is we do not have a proper forward line and we do not have a proper central defence. and to be fair i thought harrison reed looked out of his depth.

But this was all oine game against a very good team and we need to see how the new players affect things, but they will not change the issue with the forwards.

Bronaldinho

TC will always get questioned about being Captain, even if he has an okay/good game. The reason being is that he got the captaincy as a reward of performances and as an incentive to stay at the club.

At the time, that was the right decision - but as we move towards a team that is fighting relegation, a more vocal leader is needed. It gives the team motivation and organisation, especially when we have to grind out results.

I thought TC put in a good shift against Arsenal, but he isn't our best player like he was years ago. He's had a few injuries, lost that yard of pace and it doesn't feel like he wants to play those killer passes anymore, and rather play sideways (May be a tactical request though)
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

General

Someone mentioned it in a different thread but, whilst I'm a fan of Tom and think he's a gifted footballer he needs to sharpen up his game to be more influential and fast with how he plays imo, especially to make it in the premier league.

He's clearly a good footballer but you need a bit more aggression than I see from him. He sometimes comes across to me as someone who's taking too long on the ball or who's not fully switched on to the level of the prembership.

He's a fantastic footballer for the champion and I believe can make the grade.

That said though, I think the club needs a new talisman. Someone who can set a new standard and push those around them to the level expected in this league and I think it may be time to review the captaincy.

Whilst I appreciate Tom may be a popular guy in the dressing room sometimes I think he comes across as one of the lads too much and the centre of banter, which isn't always what a leader should be aiming to be.

I'd consider and I know this would be particularly rogue FZA or Mitro. People who are clearly a level of quality and maturity above the others and who can perform in this league. I'd have gone for johansen too but for whatever reason despite being the Norway captain hasn't had a look in for a while.

toshes mate

I would never wish to make a big call on one game especially when so many players didn't turn up as expected but TC didn't have a 'good game' in my book at all.  He wasn't influential enough in helping his other midfielders to get a grip on the middle of the pitch which is where we lost the game, period.  But he'll be better next week against Leeds all other things being equal.

Sting of the North

Some thoughts:

- Agree fully that TC had a good game, one of our best players.

- Don't think any injuries have hampered his ability really, as he never had or relied on pace.

- Pretty clear to me that TC mostly opting to keep the ball is tactical more than anything else. Actually thought he got better and better last season and he was probably overall our best player after the break. In my opinion.

- Don't understand why TC having the armband would in any way stop other players from being vocal. If you need an armband to be a leader then you are probably not a leader. But this discussion has been had to death but in my opinion it's about the least important thing about the team. 

filham

A couple of seasons ago Cairney was outstanding and clearly our best player, these days he is just good but deserves his place as a regular in the team.
He is best playing deep where he can find a bit of space in which to work,
As for being captain it is going to be very difficult for Parker to take that away from him and there is no obvious replacement at the moment.

Statto

Didn't notice him much to be honest. Don't think any of the starting CMs - Reed, Cairney or Onomah - have enough quality to make an impact against a team like Arsenal. The litmus test will be whether they can make an impact against teams like Villa and Leeds. IMO there are question marks as to whether any of them are good enough for the PL.

On the plus side, Anguissa looked a class above, just in terms of his physicality and comfort on the ball

Bill2

TC had a good game but not sure where he was playing, in my mind he plays better when he is slightly further forward. Also please Tom can you try where possible to get the ball and turn towards the opposition instead of mostly getting the ball and then immediately face your own keeper. If you look at Silva for Man City he rarely turns back he will nearly always turn toward the opposition goal and look for a forward pass.

ex-Pat

He's not good enough for the Premier league, Reed is a much better all round player breaks up play a lot more aggressive going forward, would like to see him captain.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Fulham76 on September 14, 2020, 09:36:55 AM
Personally, I thought he was becoming more & more invisible during the second half of last season, and the same on Saturday. Although, he seems to be playing much deeper these days, more of a defensive midfielder, than a creative one.

I agree with this. If we're going to play him he needs to be more creative, otherwise we may as well drop him for someone more physically imposing. He had a decent first half but as you say was invisible second half.

Radiowhite

For me captain is not so important. A real leader will lead whether they have an armband on or not, they will still have their same influence on the team. Tom deserves the band as a display of his services to our club.

Sting of the North

Quote from: ex-Pat on September 14, 2020, 02:09:35 PM
He's not good enough for the Premier league, Reed is a much better all round player breaks up play a lot more aggressive going forward, would like to see him captain.

Maybe Reed is a better player, but in my opinion he surely didn't show it against Arsenal. Looked very much out of his depth. This is of course expected, and Reed just as everybody else should of course be given the benefit of doubt when stepping up to a level above what he has ever really done before. Let's just hope that some of the players that many seem to put their faith in (like Reed and Hector) will step up sooner rather than later, because otherwise it will be a long, hard season. This of course goes for players like TC and Mitro and more as well, since they have only sporadically showed signs of being able to perform at this level before. 

Matt10

How many off the ball runs from our wingers were "creative" runs? When Cav found himself central in the first half was about the only time line-breaching runs were made. That was my criticism of TC not hitting those two passes over the top.

We are a possession based team. It's not even a counter-attacking team, not even a long ball team. We focus on possession by playing square passes. This is why we can have players with multiple passes - and multiple passes at higher percentages. Cairney passing percentage on Saturday? 98.7%. He led the match in that regard. He led the team in the number of passes at 75, with Reed close at 72 (95.8%).  It's not a Cairney thing, it's a Parker thing. It's tactics, and the man is adhering to them.

TC's Sporran

i simply cannot believe what i am reading re the criticism of tc after the arsenal match

and yet anguissa is labelled a class above
i saw him in 10 minutes make 3 poor decisions errors  and looked as if he couldnt be arsed twice after being beaten/disposessed.
was i imagining that?
and then i see he got man of the match? wtf?

im not gonna bother entering the debate anymore because people really do see what they want to see.

i am a big fan of tc but am not blinkered enough to not give him criticism on here when he plays poorly.

yet some on here just get on his case regardless

at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion

even if its wrong