https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Khan and The Fulham Supporters Trust

Started by absenteeism, September 14, 2020, 09:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Jim© on September 14, 2020, 04:50:52 PM
I think you get a little flavour of how Gerry was by his tweets:
"Truth is the current Head of Wrestling instructed the Board not to speak to FST as long as I - a critic - was on the Board. Infact he tried to demand FST remove me from being a member.  Daddy's money can't buy you that.  Alas, the ffc Board have to do what he says."

We don't know exactly what went on, but when you're asking for someone's time like Tony Khan, you do have to show some sort of respect to them (like it or not).
I am yet to see any of the other FST board members walking out in unison with Gerry.

:plus one:

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 14, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 14, 2020, 04:25:38 PM
Quote from: Penfold on September 14, 2020, 10:20:37 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 14, 2020, 10:18:58 AM
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on September 14, 2020, 10:08:08 AM
I think before I could pass judgement or criticism  I would want to know the full story of what's gone on.

This board can be very negative of TK or SP or any player very easily on here and therefore more facts about all situations at the Club need to be known first.

I do remind myself we don't have Clay or Bulstrode!

Agreed. I don't see how anyone can judge this situation based on the extremely scarce information presented in this thread (not that it stops some of the usual suspects). If there is more information available it might be a good idea to present that information.

I have emailed the trust.
Thank you.

Can we also have a post of some of the questions put forth by Gerry over the 4 year period. I would hope to assume that his resignation isn't due to a one off incident.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Serious or sarcasm? You have as much chance of a letter from Santa telling you what you need to do in order to be a good boy to recieve a Porsche in your stocking this year. Come on..

With the resignation and the email out to members, the matter is closed. I would be absolutely amazed if they made any further comment and they definitely wouldn't have sent out any kind of itinerary/timeline of questions over four years in any case.

100% serious.   Before I lambaste Tony Khan based on what Gerry has said I want more info is all.   If there isn't more information other than Gerry saying the "Head of Wrestling" (should have said the Head of American Football as well) did something unprofessional...  well, I don't know Gerry from Tony Khan.

The post was put on a forum so I assume it was to strike up a discussion.    I want more info to discuss.

If there isn't more information I'll know to ignore.

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 14, 2020, 05:01:32 PM

Secondly, I haven't seen anyone here say Gerry is blameless. Keeping it purely to things in the public arena for everyones sake, he has been a very harsh critic on Twitter, for example. He has said things I perhaps wouldn't say or would have worded differently. But Tony is far and above that (or, at least, most of his peers are) and in any case, should not allow personal gripes to spill over into dictator territory where he lays down ultimatums and tarnishes the clubs links with fans.

I'd say I can't beliveve people can defend the actions regardless of what may have caused irritation, but given the state of politics and what people lap up at the moment, I suppose I can.

I guess I'm asking for proof that Tony has done what I bolded.    If there is proof then I too will say that it was uncalled for by Tony and very unprofessional.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 14, 2020, 11:01:43 AM
It is also pettiness on a childlike level which, if you need a recent separate example that this is possible from said individual, see public replies to a journalist that also dares to question The Great One.

If someone post incorrect info, as if it's fact, and TK says it's incorrect (even if it's worded in a 'childish' kinda way) I don't see anything wrong with TK calling the poster on it.

simplyfulham

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 14, 2020, 10:02:29 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 14, 2020, 11:01:43 AM
It is also pettiness on a childlike level which, if you need a recent separate example that this is possible from said individual, see public replies to a journalist that also dares to question The Great One.

If someone post incorrect info, as if it's fact, and TK says it's incorrect (even if it's worded in a 'childish' kinda way) I don't see anything wrong with TK calling the poster on it.

I get the sentiment behind what you're saying, but I just think it's not as black and white as that (no pun intended).

It's a bit like shouting at the weather man after he says it's going to be sunny but it actually rains. You don't know on what information the reporter was acting on, there are a lot of moving parts at play and a lot of reasons why a player, club offcial or agent might spread information that is bending the truth or outright false. 

Like it or lump the print and tv media play a huge role in football. It brings attention, column inches and screen time and with that comes advertising and all the rest of it. Fulham and by extension Tony Kahn have undoubtedly benefited from whole machine.

So to lash out at the hand that indirectly feeds you, seems careless, petulant and lacks class. He just seems naive and seems to want it all his way.

Statto

Quote from: simplyfulham on September 14, 2020, 11:42:52 PM
So to lash out at the hand that indirectly feeds you, seems careless, petulant and lacks class. He just seems naive and seems to want it all his way.

Agreed. There's a catalogue of this stuff from him now. Not just the latest incident and the journo spat you mention, but also Twitter spats with fans, "I'll die at this club" etc, bringing in his mate CK, claiming credit for signings that clearly weren't driven by him, excessively using the expression "me" when talking about the recruitment team or club, and so on. I maintain the view that his heart is in the right place and he's doing a semi-decent job at the moment, but he does come across as having the undesirable personal characteristics you mention.

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Statto on September 15, 2020, 02:31:41 AM

Agreed. There's a catalogue of this stuff from him now. Not just the latest incident and the journo spat you mention, but also Twitter spats with fans, "I'll die at this club" etc, bringing in his mate CK, claiming credit for signings that clearly weren't driven by him, excessively using the expression "me" when talking about the recruitment team or club, and so on. I maintain the view that his heart is in the right place and he's doing a semi-decent job at the moment, but he doesn't come across as having the undesirable personal characteristics you mention.

Think there is an easy explanation to this...he is American. I'm not saying there is somethign wrong with that, just that he will always come across very different compared to someone from the UK. (I'm scandinavian and we are obviously perfect...)

toshes mate

Quote from: KingofCheese on September 14, 2020, 07:49:01 PM
"start that healing process which is have the differences between supporters and him out in the opn where we can all put in our fourpennyworth of obsrevations good, bad and indifferent,"

Sorry Tosh, you aren't speaking for all supporters. What is your particular grievance then?
Sorry, K-O-C, but I am not answerable to you or this Forum, on any point of view I freely and accurately describe. IMHO you need to get off of you high horse and get a bit of perspective.

Andy S

It is sad and needs to have an eye kept on things. I wouldn't want to see manipulation of the FST to any great extent. However sad it is to see anyone made to leave it is only consultative and that is in the interests of everyone. It is important that any questions that require answers are not watered down. They should be presented in exactly the same way. It is always important to be able to ask questions and even more important to get answers

rebel

Khan Junior's treatment of the Trust members is 'contemptible', he has no authority over the Trust but is 'wielding' great power over the Trust. The relationship between the Trust and Club is based on 'goodwill' nothing more.

Khan Junior has great authority over the club, imagine if you are great at your job, but he can't work with you, you have no option but to resign / leave. Not a great position to be in, you just have to become 'yes people'.

toshes mate

Quote from: rebel on September 15, 2020, 09:49:28 AM
Khan Junior's treatment of the Trust members is 'contemptible', he has no authority over the Trust but is 'wielding' great power over the Trust. The relationship between the Trust and Club is based on 'goodwill' nothing more.

Khan Junior has great authority over the club, imagine if you are great at your job, but he can't work with you, you have no option but to resign / leave. Not a great position to be in, you just have to become 'yes people'.
I agree he shouldn't have authority over FST but in principle the Club does have that power since there is nothing in the rules to say FFC must consult with representative groups of supporters.  However, I would like to believe the authority for such decisions is SK and not anybody else.  What if FST started to say who from the Club they are prepared to meet with and who they are not?  Would SK be happy with that?  Of course not and rightly so.

HV71

Agreed. There's a catalogue of this stuff from him now. Not just the latest incident and the journo spat you mention, but also Twitter spats with fans, "I'll die at this club" etc, bringing in his mate CK, claiming credit for signings that clearly weren't driven by him, excessively using the expression "me" when talking about the recruitment team or club, and so on. I maintain the view that his heart is in the right place and he's doing a semi-decent job at the moment, but he does come across as having the undesirable personal characteristics you mention.

Totally agree . He must be seriously insecure and certainly doesn't seem to be comfortable in his own skin. I agree that his heart is probably in the right place , but his head can't be. I'm glad we have the Khans as owners but this frailty has to be a concern - his father has demonstrated his faith in him but clearly even this isn't enough.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: HV71 on September 15, 2020, 12:18:28 PM

Totally agree . He must be seriously insecure and certainly doesn't seem to be comfortable in his own skin. I agree that his heart is probably in the right place , but his head can't be. I'm glad we have the Khans as owners but this frailty has to be a concern - his father has demonstrated his faith in him but clearly even this isn't enough.

I'm glad we have Shahid as Chairman but not Tony Khan as Director of Football.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Woolly Mammoth

Then we are all agreed excellent, time to find a proper qualified professional D of F who has the required knowledge and knows the job and how to negotiate and doesn't have tantrums, but has dignity. Including knowing the circumference and weight of a size 5 match ball at sea level.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: toshes mate on September 15, 2020, 10:22:29 AM

I agree he shouldn't have authority over FST but in principle the Club does have that power since there is nothing in the rules to say FFC must consult with representative groups of supporters.  However, I would like to believe the authority for such decisions is SK and not anybody else.  What if FST started to say who from the Club they are prepared to meet with and who they are not?  Would SK be happy with that?  Of course not and rightly so.

Who actually holds the power here? Club? Supporters? For me it's the Trust, they could escalate things, but probably won't.

A direct quote from the Fulham Supporters Trust:-

'Players, managers, owners and staff come and go, but we, the Fulham supporters, remain through thick and thin. We are the lifeblood of the club; without us there is no club.'

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/

toshes mate

Quote from: rebel on September 16, 2020, 06:22:11 AM

Who actually holds the power here? Club? Supporters? For me it's the Trust, they could escalate things, but probably won't.

I don't feel it will be escalated because personaility clashes normally get sorted without too much fuss which seemingly has happened here.

b+w geezer

The relationship between the Trust and Club is based on 'goodwill' nothing more.
As you say. We may take them for granted by now, but  regular monthly meetings only commenced in Khan times, and were among the first such at a higher division club.
Khan Junior has great authority......if he can't work with you, you have no option but to resign / leave. Not a great position to be in, you just have to become 'yes people'.
Since neither TK nor Gerry normally attended meetings,  there was not in practice a working relationship to forge or lose. Those that do attend meetings make them businesslike, as I understand it.

Even the CEO is an employee, not the owner, so there will be limits to what he can be expected to say at times. Also, these are meetings about spectator issues, the stadium and other primarily off-field matters, not team selections and tactics etc. So too, I think, when Trusts meet elsewhere.

Within those limits, the meetings have value and it would have been sad if they had ceased.

MikeTheCubed

https://www.efl.com/supporters/supporters-charter/consultation--supporter-engagement/

FWIW The EFL requires (as of 2016) that each club meet with a supporter's group at least twice a season.

Don't know however if there is a similar requirement from the Premier League.

b+w geezer

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 16, 2020, 12:38:21 PM
FWIW The EFL requires (as of 2016) that each club meet with a supporter's group at least twice a season.
Interesting. Looking at our own Trust's website, there were occasional meetings earlier, but the monthlies started in Feb 2015. My vague memory is that we were ahead of the curve at biggish club level, suspected to have something to do with Tom Greatrex being prominent at national supporters' level. If there has been a general catch-up by now, then good, hopefully at more than the twice a year minimum and not just through clenched teeth with little genuine communication.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 16, 2020, 12:38:21 PM
https://www.efl.com/supporters/supporters-charter/consultation--supporter-engagement/

Don't know however if there is a similar requirement from the Premier League.

Crikey. Rare to see an EFL rule/idea that is as fantastic as this! I was completely unaware that they did this in 2016, but very much like that the EFL have done that.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Both the EFL and the Premier League passed rules regarding what they describe structured relationships with supporter groups in 2016.

B+W Geezer is right that meetings began between Fulham and the Trust earlier than that, seemingly at the instigation of Alistair Mackintosh.