watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We don't score enough.

Started by AnOldBrownie, September 16, 2020, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

And our style of play isn't going to change overnight, so how do we address it?

We should have scored 3 against Ipswich tonight, yet we score from 1 header on a cross from our new RB.   

During last season we won too many games because of worldies, or relying on Mitro to put it in the back of the net.  We're never a real threat do score from a corner.   How long did it take before we stopped relying on Anthony to send in corner kicks last season?

We're facing tougher defenses now.  I'm expecting Anthony, Ivan and Bobby to score less goals than they did a season ago.

Last year...other than the Kamara counter attack where he and Cav bombed down the pitch after an opposing teams attempted corner kick...I can't remember too many plays where Fulham actually stretched a defense.   AK47 has pace, but he and Kebano shouldn't be our only players that can stretch defenses (this may change now with Tete and Robinson...but then that may expose our CBs).

I'm really worried about scoring now.   

Bassey the warrior

We don't get enough players in the box to score. Watching Leeds play Liverpool, they got 4 or 5 players in the box in their attacks and they scored 3.

fulhamben

i reckon kamara would have got on the end of at least one of robinsons crosses tonight, as he busts a gut to get into the box. im not overly worried yet, as it all depends on parkers team selections
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 16, 2020, 10:16:12 PM
We don't get enough players in the box to score. Watching Leeds play Liverpool, they got 4 or 5 players in the box in their attacks and they scored 3.

To be fair, Leeds also stretched Liverpool's defense by running at them all game.  It's something we don't do.   We're a methodical posession team working for the cross.

I think Antonee and Tete showed potential tonight, but I worry about getting caught out defensively at this level.    Leeds have midfielders that work their ars off to cover tons of pitch.

Quote from: fulhamben on September 16, 2020, 10:17:27 PM
i reckon kamara would have got on the end of at least one of robinsons crosses tonight, as he busts a gut to get into the box. im not overly worried yet, as it all depends on parkers team selections

He does.

Problem with that though, is it limits our substitution options if he doesn't do anything for 70 minutes.   I rate AK7 coming off the bench and catching opposing defenses not expecting his pace.

We have Knock or Cav to come off the bench.    That doesn't cause any EPL team a worry.

ALG01

exactly so, itis hardly rocket science. get enough players in and around the box when attacking.

Deeping_white

I'm going to sound like a stuck record (sorry) but I think part of the issue lies with the attacking mid in that we need someone like Buendia or Boetius who can break the lines and get into pockets of space between teams midfield and defence, or occasionally drift out wide and pull teams into positions they don't want to be in as I think we're too rigid with how we set up in attacking transitions other than the occasional full back overlapping (which at this level should be the norm). With players like Anguissa and Lemina, tonight showed me that they wanted to be more direct so we need players to get into positions where they can press the issue with more direct passing. I can see what BDR was trying to do but he's just not at the standard we need, plus I guess he's more of a false 9 than attacking mid so I won't berate him too much.

I think Aina in the team will help because he's big and fast and he's played in forward positions so that might solve some of the issues, but for me after we get a CB or two, we need a quick AM like the two I mentioned above, Josh King or a forward that is happy playing out wide and can deputise for Mitro at CF if he's not available. I reckon we can fudge a winger through the odd game or two if we have one good winger and a decent striker in Mitro's absence.

Classic94

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 16, 2020, 10:54:18 PM
I'm going to sound like a stuck record (sorry) but I think part of the issue lies with the attacking mid in that we need someone like Buendia or Boetius who can break the lines and get into pockets of space between teams midfield and defence, or occasionally drift out wide and pull teams into positions they don't want to be in as I think we're too rigid with how we set up in attacking transitions other than the occasional full back overlapping (which at this level should be the norm). With players like Anguissa and Lemina, tonight showed me that they wanted to be more direct so we need players to get into positions where they can press the issue with more direct passing. I can see what BDR was trying to do but he's just not at the standard we need, plus I guess he's more of a false 9 than attacking mid so I won't berate him too much.

I think Aina in the team will help because he's big and fast and he's played in forward positions so that might solve some of the issues, but for me after we get a CB or two, we need a quick AM like the two I mentioned above, Josh King or a forward that is happy playing out wide and can deputise for Mitro at CF if he's not available. I reckon we can fudge a winger through the odd game or two if we have one good winger and a decent striker in Mitro's absence.

Agree with most of these points. I think we need two attackers - a creative playmaker-type to split defences, and a quick, direct forward/winger. In my opinion, none of BDR, Knockaert, Cavaleiro or Kebano are up to it as EPL starters. Simply not enough output or quality from any of them. Aina hopefully adds some dynamism out wide once up to speed.

jayffc

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 16, 2020, 10:54:18 PM

+1 players that can play quicker snappier more direct football in advanced positions. Less pondering and sideways more incision. Thats why I'm willing to persevere with Lemina as I think that's the way he likes to play. Interestingly I saw a few times Parker pointing backwards to the new lads when on the ball...only for them to persist looking for the forward option...I actually kinda loved that, hope he doesn't coach it out of them!

Twig

Well tonight they got beat by third division Hull.

bill taylors apprentice

Keeping the ball is great but Cairney, bless him needs to mix it up occasionally, I believe he has the vision and he certainly has the tools to move the ball quicker and stretch the opposition.