watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

ipswich vs fulham how i saw it

Started by fulhamben, September 16, 2020, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

lets start with the i know it was a third division team just to get it out of the way.
but you can only play whats in front of you, and in that respect it was a dominant performance.
from start to finish we were the only team in it. im not sure they even had a shot on target.
our new keeper Areloa, didnt have much to do, but what he did have to do he did well. looked very comfortable on the ball, and the one corner they did have, it was whipped in just outside the 6 yard box, and he didnt mess around. he came out and punched it clear. also another cross was whipped in down the left hand side and he came out and caught it. the last thing i remember was a low cross late on that he got down to and caught it again. i was impressed with what i saw, from the little he had to do. he will be our number 1 this year.
robinson, was another impressive debut, very reminiscent of bryan. defended well and put in loads of dangerous low crosses behind their defence. cant say if he will start but he is genuinely competition for bryan. 
odoi and mlm were solid, didnt let them have a sniff
zambo and lemina, i thought they played really well together. yes they both played a few loose passes that might have cost us on the prem, but decent together considering it was their first time lining up together. i wouldnt be upset if they started together against leeds.
lemina, reminded me of murphy towards the end of his career where he sprayed the ball around a lot. he did it well, and adds a much needed different dimension to parker ball. he has some pace and some height and i can see him getting the nod over reed in the near future.
kebano was kebano, constantly trying to make it happen down the left, and i still think he is our best option there for now. linked up well with robinson.
knockeart, knockeart, knockeart, knockeart . was nearly my man of the match, does everything right but his shots. its sooooooooo frustrating. probably starts against leeds
boby reid. gets about, gets in to good positions, but another one who cant score for toffee. think josh keeps him out against leeds unless he plays wide
mitro, need i say more.
cairney and reed looked good when they came on and bryan only had a few minutes so that just leaves tete.
Tete, from what i was led to believe from what people were saying on here, he was going to be a solid right back who basically didnt leave his own half. well i was ecstatic with his performance tonight, he was solid at the back, and was up and down the wing for the entire time he was on the pitch. he got an assists, probably should have had two and just looks like a fantastic acquisition. he will be our right back unless, aina is even better, of which case we will be sound as a pound down the right. good game all round and on to leeds we go, with parker having a real headache for selctions, for all the right reasons. 
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

General

Knockaert your MOTM? with respect I don't see that at all. He was lively, but ultimately wasteful on every occasion.

Deeping_white

Agree with what you saw, wouldn't say Knocky MoTM though. Have a hunch that we might have Aina in front of Tete and I think that would make us really solid down the right. Tete has quite a cross on him too which I wasn't expecting so that was extra pleasing.

Also what I thought was noticeable was Areola's distribution - think every pass went straight to a Fulham player and he didn't look flustered on the ball at all.

fulhamben

Quote from: General on September 16, 2020, 09:30:49 PM
Knockaert your MOTM? with respect I don't see that at all. He was lively, but ultimately wasteful on every occasion.
was probably, but i gave it to tete

fulhamben

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 16, 2020, 09:34:22 PM
Agree with what you saw, wouldn't say Knocky MoTM though. Have a hunch that we might have Aina in front of Tete and I think that would make us really solid down the right. Tete has quite a cross on him too which I wasn't expecting so that was extra pleasing.

Also what I thought was noticeable was Areola's distribution - think every pass went straight to a Fulham player and he didn't look flustered on the ball at all.
i actually went with tete in the end

The Swan

Thank you fulhamben. Great report on the match. It sounds as if the new boys could be very useful.
The Swan

Mince n Tatties

What the game illustrated was the need for that second striker.
One pundit on radio other day said that Mitro needs to score over 20 goals this season,for us to have a chance of staying up.

Denzil Dexter

Apparently we had 15 shots. 1 scored. 5 saved and 8 off target.

8 shots off target is a worry.  That was the case a lot last season as well. Some of our players need some serious shooting practice!!

General

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 16, 2020, 09:37:42 PM
What the game illustrated was the need for that second striker.
One pundit on radio other day said that Mitro needs to score over 20 goals this season,for us to have a chance of staying up.

Think we missed a trick losing out on Callum Wilson and Ollie Watkins. Need to get Josh King or Babel in or someone of similar quality/ability.

filham

Well I was disappointed, the bottom line is a single goal win last night against lowly opposition just wasn't good enough.

My observations last night were:-

1. We dominated the whole game and were really never bothered by Ipswich

2. The worry is that we scored but one goal and really didn't penetrate enough in the final third creating hardly any clear cut chances.

3. Knock. had about three of his trade mark shots at goal two over the bar and the other wide.

4.Mitro played the whole match and that should mea he is fit and ready for the Leeds game on Saturday.
Our new full backs Tete and Robinson both looked good and will be knocking on the door for a start against Leeds. Tete's
cross for Mitro's goal was sweet.

5.Lemina and Sambo in midfield looked good and will be challenging for a place in the team.

6. A typical Cairney shot from outside the area was well saved by the keeper, hoping to see more efforts like that from him.

7. Odoi and MLM at centre back looked safe and had a comfortable game.

It should be remembered that all of the above has to be seen in the context that we were playin a first division team. It did occur to me that playing in the manner we did we were never going to bother any premier league defense and perhaps if we fail to score against Leeds and Villa Parker will need to change tactics.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: filham on September 17, 2020, 10:02:45 AM
Well I was disappointed, the bottom line is a single goal win last night against lowly opposition just wasn't good enough.

2. The worry is that we scored but one goal and really didn't penetrate enough in the final third creating hardly any clear cut chances.

3. Knock. had about three of his trade mark shots at goal two over the bar and the other wide.

4.Mitro played the whole match and that should mea he is fit and ready for the Leeds game on Saturday.
Our new full backs Tete and Robinson both looked good and will be knocking on the door for a start against Leeds. Tete's

5.Lemina and Sambo in midfield looked good and will be challenging for a place in the team.

6. A typical Cairney shot from outside the area was well saved by the keeper, hoping to see more efforts like that from him.

It should be remembered that all of the above has to be seen in the context that we were playin a first division team. It did occur to me that playing in the manner we did we were never going to bother any premier league defense and perhaps if we fail to score against Leeds and Villa Parker will need to change tactics.

There's absolutely no doubt Parker needs to change tactics. We played a League 1 side and still only created two good chances both by Tete. We need to work on pass and move, so we can use the ball more effectively to stretch sides and pull them out of position, then create better and more chances. It will take a lot of work on the training ground to build that understanding between the players, but it will pay off.

Jim©

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on September 16, 2020, 09:43:29 PM
Apparently we had 15 shots. 1 scored. 5 saved and 8 off target.

8 shots off target is a worry.  That was the case a lot last season as well. Some of our players need some serious shooting practice!!

Not at all, very much inline (infact slightly above) the average when looking at shots on target.
Last season
Liverpool 39% shots on target
Man City 35%
Man U 40%
Norwich 32%
Watford 28%
Bournemouth 31%

So our 53% last night was decent, as was our 40% against arsenal (tiny sample I know).
(as an aside last season it was 35% for FFC which was the best in the top 4).

People question shots on target stats as a shot on target can be a dribbled shot from 40 yards. However these things do even themselves out and more importantly it's a level playing field for all the other teams when compared.

keithh

I thought Robinson played well but generally he did not look up when crossing the ball. Agree that we need another forward.

Deeping_white

Quote from: filham on September 17, 2020, 10:02:45 AM

It was our second competitive game of the season, a potential banana skin and we made sure that they never even laid a glove on us. The team played well within themselves and never really had to get out of second gear, four debuts all at once and not one of them looked out of place and seemed to understand the requirements of their role, and they all got valuable minutes to bring up their match fitness too. Sometimes I think we get a bit carried away and assume we're going to absolutely tonk a lower league team just because they're two leagues below us, when psychologically it's a free hit for them and we're just trying to do a professional job and get into the next round

rebel

At least we had some variation on corners, the set up for Anguissa's volley, then the short corner for Cairney's shot was good play, thinking outside of the box.

WindyCity

As I saw it....only saw the second half.  Pretty much disappointed in the overall play.  Yes, nice to see all the possession, and FFC clearly was the better side.  But very few good scoring chances just leaves me head scratching.  Ipswich could have scored a late equalizer, they had several decent chances, but the game should have been killed off long before that.  And this was against League One competition.  I watched BHA v Chelsea over the weekend and was very impressed with BHA as they attacked and moved forward most of the time.  Totally different approach than FFC.  And they did have some good scoring chances and Chelsea was fortunate to get a favorable result.  I think FFC will need to do much better on the offensive side of the game if we have designs on staying up.  We have a run of games coming up in which we should be competitive and have some point gathering chances.  Too bad we lack that additional solid CB which has been badly needed as we all know for a long time ago.   

rebel

Quote from: WindyCity on September 17, 2020, 04:12:18 PM
As I saw it....only saw the second half.  Pretty much disappointed in the overall play.  Yes, nice to see all the possession, and FFC clearly was the better side.  But very few good scoring chances just leaves me head scratching.  Ipswich could have scored a late equalizer, they had several decent chances, but the game should have been killed off long before that.  And this was against League One competition.  I watched BHA v Chelsea over the weekend and was very impressed with BHA as they attacked and moved forward most of the time.  Totally different approach than FFC.  And they did have some good scoring chances and Chelsea was fortunate to get a favorable result.  I think FFC will need to do much better on the offensive side of the game if we have designs on staying up.  We have a run of games coming up in which we should be competitive and have some point gathering chances.  Too bad we lack that additional solid CB which has been badly needed as we all know for a long time ago.   

There was 4 players making their debuts, so I think we shouldn't be too critical, they've only been at the club for a few days / weeks.

WindyCity

Quote from: rebel on September 17, 2020, 04:15:07 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on September 17, 2020, 04:12:18 PM
There was 4 players making their debuts, so I think we shouldn't be too critical, they've only been at the club for a few days / weeks.

Point taken....BUT, we weren't exactly playing Liverpool or Man City.  Additionally, FFC played many of its' usual starters.  To be fair, this is nothing new, really.  We've seen many FFC matches over last season where the team had much more possession and had very few shots on goal.  Sometimes with lopsided possession advantage we would walk away with one point, or none.