Previous topic - Next topic

sarnian

39 goals from 8 games. Maybe were not the only ones with a crap defence.  :54:

H4usuallysitting

Wait until Man City get going....against Wolves, could be 9 all

b+w geezer

Quote from: sarnian on September 20, 2020, 09:43:49 PM
As implied by those 8 games featuring only 27 'Expected goals,' i.e. defences proving more vulnerable than the attacking danger would normally warrant. As Bielsa noted, Leeds had scored 7 from very few chances in their two opening games, and this was abnormal and could not be expected to last. We were of course particularly inept in assisting them in this, but defences in general are not yet functioning as they will in due course. An unusually short pre-season maybe? Easier to judge in a match or two.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Quote from: b+w geezer on September 21, 2020, 12:18:08 AM
As implied by those 8 games featuring only 27 'Expected goals,' i.e. defences proving more vulnerable than the attacking danger would normally warrant. As Bielsa noted, Leeds had scored 7 from very few chances in their two opening games, and this was abnormal and could not be expected to last. We were of course particularly inept in assisting them in this, but defences in general are not yet functioning as they will in due course. An unusually short pre-season maybe? Easier to judge in a match or two.

This is very sensible analysis. Southampton looked all at sea today - so it isn't just us by any means.

Denzil Dexter

I notice in most matches we play the opposition shots to goals ratio is much better than ours. We are very wasteful 

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

I believe this season, we will do better than in 2018/19 (probably 17th or 18th) and we will do better next season than the previous two seasons (16th in PL or 2nd in Championship). We need to bring in some younger central defenders and another striker to improve the squad over the next three seasons, becoming a premier league team is hard.

rebel

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on September 21, 2020, 01:32:43 AM
I notice in most matches we play the opposition shots to goals ratio is much better than ours. We are very wasteful 

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I've been saying that for ever. Part of it is players making the wrong decision, shooting when there is a pass to unlock the defence.

toshes mate

From the games I have watched the spatial awareness of attackers and quality of finishing seems to have gone up by quite a few notches in the last few years whilst the defensive roles and 'keeper quality overall seem less robust.  Perhaps this is a generational thing when you sometimes get a wave of good midfielders, good defenders, good strikers or good 'keepers.  Been fascinating watching all those runs from deep that catch backlines out time and time again.  Son's four goals against Saints were basically the same medicine each time. 

bog

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on September 20, 2020, 11:33:43 PM

I recall a 9-0 with Wolves in 1959..... :022:

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 21, 2020, 02:36:58 AM
I believe this season, we will do better than in 2018/19 (probably 17th or 18th) and we will do better next season than the previous two seasons (16th in PL or 2nd in Championship). We need to bring in some younger central defenders and another striker to improve the squad over the next three seasons, becoming a premier league team is hard.

It is indeed becoming very hard indeed, much harder than before.
That is why it is even more important that the club brings in the right players in the positions we need strengthening, not this scatter gun approach of signing 3 players in one position hoping that one of them will turn out all right, and because an initial target does not want to come to Fulham for whatever reason, why do Fulham then sign somebody we don't need just to appease the critics and hopefully soften the disappointment of the failure to bring in a player we do actually need.
Compared to most other clubs we always seem overall on average apart from 2/3 exceptions to have players who are short in height and stature, no physical presence and a soft underbelly.
We always seem to be second best in the air, and set pieces defending and attacking are always a struggle.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on September 21, 2020, 09:01:19 AM

092.gif

Oh Captain....... stop.... still gives me nightmares.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 21, 2020, 10:37:42 AM
Quote from: bog on September 21, 2020, 09:01:19 AM

092.gif

Oh Captain....... stop.... still gives me nightmares.

And me. I still recall watching Sportsnight...we were made to pay for beating them 3-1 the previous Wednesday. :022: