more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 25/09/20...

Started by WhiteJC, September 24, 2020, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday Reaction: Robinson and Carvalho

Antonee Robinson was delighted to carry on the Carabao Cup journey after overcoming a strong Sheffield Wednesday team on Wednesday evening, but it was certainly no walk in the park especially early on.

"It was really good," Robinson said. "The way they pressed us at first it looked like it was going to be a night of figuring things out and trying to get ourselves into the game.

"But, when we got around that, we started to play some really nice football and felt comfortable in the game defensively as well, so another clean sheet and another win is good."

Aboubakar Kamara's goal seemed to settle any nerves from the Whites, as Robinson explained.

"We want to play out from the back, and they were a really pressing side.

"You can't always go to Plan A, sometimes you have to go to Plan B and once Abs (Kamara) scored the pressure was off and then we realised we could beat the press easily.

"Once we did that a few times we started to play our game."

Motivation was radiating out of the new signing, as he beamed of how big an opportunity these Cup games can be.

"You want to win every game you play a part in," Robinson stated. "There are lads playing in these games, myself included, who are using this to impress and get involved in those League games.

"We all want to go in the same direction, we want to win games and get ourselves in the team."

After venturing to SW6 in mid-August, the United States international is now starting to nestle neatly into Scott Parker's squad.

"I'm starting to settle into it now," said Robinson. "Moving to a different end of the country, a step-up and a new challenge; it was always going to take time to gel with the lads.

"But every day I'm feeling better and better and looking forward to hopefully getting my chance soon and taking it."

Round Four sees us pitted against familiar foe in Brentford in what will be a hotly contested contest, charged further by our Championship Play-Off final victory over Thomas Frank's side.

"They're going to want to get one back over on us," Robinson calmly explained. "But, as I said, I want to win any game I'm a part in so, rivalry aside, it'll be another chance to hopefully impress, play well, get another win and see where we go in this Cup.

Another player to make a healthy impression on proceedings was Fabio Carvalho, making his first team debut after impressing in the U23s.

"It feels amazing," Carvalho exclaimed. "Something I've wanted to do for a long time and something I've worked hard for.

"I'm pleased I got it today and we got a good result as well so it's a happy day."

The young attacker made a real impact on arrival to the pitch, and could've possibly got a goal to show for it.

"I got a chance myself and I should've scored. It was a good team performance and I think I did well.

"They were a strong team, but we stuck together and did well as a team, as a whole."

Carvalho will perhaps have one eye on the Premier League now, but isn't getting carried away.

"Right now I'm in and out of the squad so we'll just see what happens. Whether I'm with the U23s or the first team I just need to focus and keep working."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/Sheffield-Wednesday-Reaction-Robinson-and-Carvalho/

WhiteJC

Rennes Pushing For Everton And Fulham Linked Defender

Rennes have stepped up on their efforts to sign Everton and Fulham linked defender Jean-Clair Todibo from Barcelona in the ongoing transfer window.

The 20-year-old defender is set to leave Barcelona following a recent meeting with the club hierarchy over his future at the Nou Camp.

Barcelona are prepared to cash in on him and several clubs are believed to be interested in the young and talented French centre-back.

Fulham have reportedly tabled a bid for him and Everton are monitoring him as a potential recruit late in the transfer window as they continue to try and sign a centre-back.

Rennes have also been monitoring the young defender and according to French sports daily L'Equipe, the Ligue 1 club have accelerated their efforts to land him.

Todibo has emerged as Rennes' top target and the club are now pushing to land him in the next two weeks.

The Frenchman is open to a move back to his home country and Rennes have been in contact with his representatives to work out an agreement.

Barcelona are ready to sell for a fee of around €15m but Rennes are believed to be trying to negotiate the price down.

https://insidefutbol.com/2020/09/24/rennes-pushing-for-everton-and-fulham-linked-defender/473936/

WhiteJC

Marlon set for Fulham medical

Brazilian defender Marlon will travel to London today to have a medical ahead of his proposed move to Fulham after the Whites agreed a fee with Sassuolo, according to reports from Italy.

The deal is thought to be worth around £13.75m and the centre half will finalise his personal terms with Fulham when he arrives in England later today, although the Premier League new boys are confident that this will not prove problematic. Barcelona have waived their right to re-sign their former player having held a buy-back option as part of the transfer that took Marlon to Italy in 2018.

The 23 year-old made 23 appearances as Sassuolo finished eighth in Serie A last season, keeping five clean sheets. A ball-playing centre back, Marlon is seen as suiting Scott Parker's preferred style and system, although Fulham are believed to be targeting at least one more centre half as well as further reinforcements in forward areas.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/marlon-set-for-fulham-medical/

WhiteJC

Report: £14m man set for Fulham medical after president confirmed Cottagers 'offer'

Marlon Santos is expected to travel to the UK today in order to put the finishing touches on his transfer from Sassuolo to Fulham, according to Gianluca di Marzio.

With an exasperated Scott Parker rubbing his eyes in disbelief as the Cottagers shipped goal after goal in their first two games back in the Premier League, the Cottagers boss has turned to a £14 million Brazilian to solve the problem.

Speaking to Sky Italia on Sunday, Sassuolo president Giovani Carnevali admitted that the Londoners had made a bid for a talented centre-half who arrived in Italy after spells at Barcelona and Nice.

"We had an offer from Fulham, an important one, so we are evaluating it and the negotiations are in progress. We'll see over the next few days if we can conclude them," he said.

True to his word, it looks like Carnevali is about to 'conclude' those negotiations after all.

Marlon is on his way to England today and could be unveiled as a Fulham player sooner rather than later once he undergoes medical checks in the capital.

The report claims that the commanding centre-half, whos fine range of passes makes him an ideal fit for Parker's 'build from the back' approach, will set Fulham back around £14 million.

Then again, retaining your Premier League status is nothing short of priceless.

If the error-strewn performances of Michael Hector and Tim Ream against Leeds and Arsenal are anything to go by, Marlon should represent an immediate upgrade on the current central defenders at Parker's disposal.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/24/report-14m-man-set-for-fulham-medical-after-president-confirmed-cottagers-offer/

WhiteJC

West London derby lined up in Carabao Cup

Bees to face Fulham next week in Carabao Cup Fourth Round - full details to follow

Brentford will play host to Fulham in only their third-ever League Cup Fourth Round tie in the coming days. The Bees will face their West London neighbours in the last 16 of the Carabao Cup in a tie that will be played next week. Full details on exactly when the game will be played will follow in due course.

The first rounds of the competition are being played in fast-forward due to the 2020/21 season being condensed by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Brentford have won through three rounds in 16 days so far and have equalled their best ever run in the competition. The Bees reached the Fourth Round in 2010, losing to Birmingham City, and in 1982, when they lost to Nottingham Forest. This is the first time Brentford have been at home at this stage of the competition.

The Bees knocked out Premier League West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday night to reach the Fourth Round. Brentford have already beaten Southampton, in the Second Round, and Wycombe Wanderers in their first tie. They now face a third Premier League side in a row next week in only their third competitive game at their new stadium.

Fulham beat Sheffield Wednesday in their Third Round tie last night, having got past Ipswich Town last week. Those are, however, their only two wins of 2020/21 so far. They started the season losing at home to Arsenal before defeat to Leeds United last week.

This will be the third meeting between the teams in just over three months. The last was arguably the most important ever between the teams when Fulham won the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley, winning 2-1 after extra time. The Bees had beaten Fulham home and away in the league campaign and finished above them on goal difference but lost the winner-takes-all showdown for a place in the Premier League.

The last league meeting between the teams ended 2-0 in Brentford's favour with Emiliano Marcondes scoring one and making one while Bryan Mbeumo scored the only goal in the last meeting between the sides at Griffin Park. The teams last met in a League Cup tie in 2014. Fulham won at Griffin Park that night in a Second Round contest.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/september/carabao-cup-round-four-confirmed/

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v singer-songwriter and Tottenham fan Declan McKenna

Something has got to give at Anfield on Monday when Liverpool and Arsenal meet after making 100% winning starts to the Premier League season - but who will prevail?

"Of course Arsenal have improved," said former Reds defender Mark Lawrenson. "But Liverpool are still a level or two above them at the moment.

"I just don't see the Gunners coming to Anfield and causing them problems."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This weekend, he is up against singer-songwriter and Tottenham fan Declan McKenna.

McKenna, 21, grew up in Cheshunt, only 10 miles away from the club's old and new homes and definitely part of Tottenham's territory in terms of the local fanbase. His family are all Spurs fans too.

"There was only ever one club for me - there was never any reason to go against the grain and support anyone else," he told BBC Sport.

"I've gone to games my whole life. We were only five minutes away by train and my older brothers had season tickets when I was very young.

"They are our local club and there is a bit of pride about that, even though there have been lots of ups and downs. That is all part of the fun."

Despite the new Premier League season starting behind closed doors, McKenna was at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for their opening game against Everton - because he was part of the club's on-line pre-match entertainment.

"I was a big fan of our new ground anyhow, and I was quite familiar with it because I went to a few games before lockdown last season," he added. "Despite being bigger, it has a very similar energy to White Hart Lane and already feels very homely.

"But before the Everton game I had a little tour as well and it was great seeing the view of the pitch, even from the highest points at the back of the stands. It is so well done, with the seating slanted so you really feel in the action wherever you are."

Like Spurs boss Jose Mourinho and some of the players, McKenna has also done 'The Dare Sky Walk' at his club's new ground. Only for the brave, it is a climb up a narrow glass walkway that rises 46.8 metres above the pitch.

"Now that is a different perspective altogether!" he explained. "It was great to be able to go up and touch the new 'Chirpy' (the golden cockerel that is the club's emblem) up there.

"The walkway does wobble quite a lot in the wind, though. It was scary - but cool!"

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
MONDAY
Fulham v Aston Villa (17:45 BST)

Fulham have lost their first two league matches and shipped seven goals already, so this is a game they will be thinking they have to get something out of.

Aston Villa will fancy it too, though. They made a confident start against Sheffield United, with a win and a clean sheet, and I'm going to go with them to carry on in that kind of form at Craven Cottage.

Lawro's prediction: 1-2

Declan's prediction: I have got Jack Grealish in my Fantasy Football team so I am going with Villa to edge this, and him to get me some points with the winner. 0-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54267322

WhiteJC

Scott Parker looking forward to Fulham locking horns with Brentford again

Fulham manager Scott Parker is relishing the prospect of another west London derby with Brentford after dispatching Sheffield Wednesday in the Carabao Cup.

The Cottagers set up a rematch of last month's Sky Bet Championship play-off final following first-half goals from Aboubakar Kamara and Bobby Decordova-Reid in a 2-0 third-round success over the Owls.

Parker's side overcame their near neighbours 2-1 at Wembley to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

While he acknowledges there will be far less at stake in next week's last-16 tie, the 39-year-old is looking forward to once again locking horns with Thomas Frank's Bees.

"It's a derby in the next round of the cup so of course it's a big game for both sides," he said.

"The last time we played, that game was certainly a lot bigger than the one we are going to be playing next week.

"That's not to put the game coming up down in any way, that's the reality.

"As always when it's a London derby and you're up against your rivals there's always a little bit more of an edge to it.

"We're looking forward to playing against a very, very good Brentford side, which they are."

Fulham had little trouble overcoming a fully-changed Wednesday side after Kamara and Reid each struck within the opening 32 minutes.
Advertisement

Kamara tapped Anthony Knockaert's pass into an empty net in the ninth minute, before Reid scored for the second successive match by turning home Josh Onomah's centre.

After being beaten 3-0 by Arsenal and losing 4-3 at Leeds in their first two top-flight fixtures of the season, Parker is eager for his side to tighten up defensively.

He believes keeping clean sheets is crucial to the club's chances of staying in the Premier League and, following the shutout against the Owls, hopes they can become a habit, starting at home to Aston Villa on Monday.

"We are not the only team in this league at this moment in time that's letting in a lot of goals," said Parker, who made seven changes for the visit of the South Yorkshire club.

"There are a lot of teams in this situation, that's the division you're in.

"But certainly it's always key to build on clean sheets and get into the habit.

"They're going to be crucial for us this year. It's a good thing tonight that we've managed to keep a clean sheet and score a couple."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-looking-forward-to-fulham-locking-horns-with-brentford-again-1600894632000

WhiteJC

MOT Tactics: Leeds have problem as Bielsa mainstay getting exposed in Premier League

This article is part of a regular series from Leeds United stats supremos All Stats Aren't We – the team also host a brilliant podcast that goes in-depth into the tactics of Marcelo Bielsa and a deeper look at the underlying stats

After the Fulham game, we've been quite critical of Stuart Dallas in the build-up phase. The best way to show this is by comparing him to Luke Ayling.

Here are their heat maps from the Fulham game:

As you can see, Ayling got forward a lot more than Dallas. This would be fine were it not for the fact that Fulham had a structural weakness on their right (Dallas' side) that Leeds exploited for two goals.

Here's the pass completion by areas for the Fulham game:

Leeds build-up in the full-back areas. As you can see, Ayling attempted 50 passes from his starting position in the build-up where Dallas only attempted 20.

Ayling also attempted 9 passes around the corner flag to Dallas' 0.

Some of this comes down to the fact that Dallas is not left-footed. See this article by Athletic journalist Tom Worville.

There are big questions about how successful Stuart Dallas can be at left-back in the Premier League. The question is: will the club try to answer them or not?

https://motleedsnews.com/comment/mot-tactics-leeds-united-problem-as-bielsa-mainstay-getting-exposed-in-premier-league/

WhiteJC

'It's possible': Director says £22.5m reported Fulham target could leave

RB Leipzig's sporting director Markus Krosche has admitted that Fulham target Ademola Lookman could leave the Bundesliga side before the October transfer deadline, while speaking to BILD, as translated by BuliNews.

Considering that the former England U21 international started just one league game last season, and played 100 minutes of football under Julian Nagelsmann, a move away from the Red Bull Arena cannot come soon enough.

According to the Mail, Fulham are ready and willing to offer Lookman a return to the Premier League one year after he was sold by Everton for a cool £22.5 million.

Krosche has admitted that Leipzig, Champions League semi-finalists in 2019/20, will not stand in the 22-year-old's way if an acceptable offer arrives.

"We are dealing with this matter, and it's possible that something will happen. Ademola hasn't played much, and you need playing time as a young player," Krosche said.

An exciting young winger, albeit one who needs to add end product to his speed and trickery, Lookman initially made an incredible impact at the taurine-powered German giants.

He certainly looked a man with more than a few energy drinks in his system when running Bundesliga defences ragged during a loan spell in 2017/18, scoring five goals and setting up three more in just seven starts under Ralf Rangnick.

Fulham boss Scott Parker will be hoping his attack-minded approach can help Lookman rediscover the form that once made him one of England's most exciting young forwards.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/24/its-possible-director-says-22-5m-reported-fulham-target-could-leave/

WhiteJC

'There is now movement in the talks' – Fulham hopes of securing deal looking positive

RB Leipzig are open to letting Ademola Lookman leave the club this summer, with Fulham keen on his signature.

Lookman has had a difficult time in Germany since arriving in a £16m deal from Everton last summer.

The move has not turned out quite as well as he had hoped, with him struggling to establish himself under Julien Nagelsmann or replicate the form from his successful loan spell at the club in 2018.

He has subsequently been linked with a return to England, with Kicker reporting on the 21st of September that a loan to Fulham was being weighed up.

BILD cover the situation today and back up earlier claims, stating that Fulham are 'interested' in his signature.

They say the player's future could be back in the UK and that after to 'bankruptcies' in negotiations between the two clubs, 'there is now movement in the talks'.

That would suggest they are getting closer to a deal and that is something Leipzig's sports director Markus Krösche has hinted at too.

"We are dealing with these personnel," he told the newspaper.

"It may be that something else happens. Ademola played little, and a young player has to play somehow."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-ademola-lookman-rb-leipzig-transfer/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Fulham vs. Aston Villa

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of Fulham vs. Aston Villa, and joining us to give us the Aston Villa perspective on this match was Mark Jirobe from Under A Gaslit Lamp.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/9/24/21454869/cottage-talk-preview-fulham-vs-aston-villa

WhiteJC

Sassuolo defender Marlon takes medical with Fulham

After a positive experience in Serie A, Marlon is one step closer to moving to the Premier League. The former Barcelona defender is in fact currently taking his medical to join Fulham, once he gets his work permit tomorrow, he will sign his contract. Sassuolo are expected to receive €15 million in a deal that was handled by Franck Timboli and Paolo Busardo as intermediaries.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/en-sassuolo-defender-marlon-takes-medical-with-fulham

WhiteJC

Pereira Departs

The Club can confirm that Javier Pereira has left his position as Assistant Director of Football Operations.

Having initially joined in 2015 as Assistant Manager to Slaviša Jokanović, and part of the 2018 promotion winning setup that defeated Aston Villa in the Play-Off Final at Wembley Stadium, he rejoined in January this year.

Javier Pereira said: "Fulham is a club I will always hold a lot of affection for, the staff and supporters have been truly wonderful and I have made many friends for life.

"I would like to thank Mr Khan and Tony Khan for the incredible support they have given to me. The most important thing to me is to be leaving the Club at a time when its objective of being promoted to the Premier League was achieved.

"I will be keeping a keen interest in Fulham and I will be cheering for the team this season. I wish the Club every success and hopefully our paths will cross again in the future."

Tony Khan said: "When Javier joined us again in January, I was excited to have him back with us in a new capacity, as a member of my recruitment staff, as Javi knows our coaching staff and our squad very well and he loves our Club.

"Javi will remain a true friend of the Club, I wish him every success in the future and I know he'll always be rooting for us to do well. Good luck Javi!"

The Club would like to thank Javier for his work during a successful second half of last season and for his services, and wishes him all the very best for the future.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/Pereira-Departs/

WhiteJC

Marlon 'passes Fulham medical'

Sassuolo defender Marlon has successfully passed his Fulham medical and both clubs are expecting the transfer to be officially announced tomorrow, according to reports in Italy this evening.

The Brazilian is expected to receive his work permit tomorrow and the deal, believed to be worth in the region of £13.75m, can then be finalised. Fulham have been searching for a solution to their defensive frailties for most of the summer, but the hunt became even more urgent when Scott Parker's side conceded seven goals in their first two Premier League defeats at the hands of Arsenal and newly-promoted Leeds.

Marlon, who won the Primeira Liga with Fluminese in 2016, has amassed considerable continental experience. The 25 year-old's promising displays in Brazil convinced Barcelona to sign him and, although he made only a handful of first-team appearances for the Catalan giants, Marlon has gained European experience elsewhere. He spent a season on loan with Nice, playing alongside Maxime Le Marchand, and has had two years at Sassuolo, making 41 Serie A appearances.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/marlon-passes-fulham-medical/

WhiteJC

Pereira leaves Fulham

Fulham have confirmed this evening that their assistant director of football Javier Pereira has left the club to become head coach of Chinese Super League side Henan Jianye.

Pereira, who was previously assistant to Slavisa Jokanovic at Craven Cottage between 2015 and 2018, rejoined the London club as assistant to head of football operations and vice chairman Tony Khan in January. The 54 year-old was eager to get back into football management and accepted Henan Jianye's offer two weeks ago.

Fulham's statement this evening quotes Pereira, 54, as saying:

"I would like to thank Mr Khan and Tony Khan for the incredible support they have given to me. The most important thing to me is to be leaving the club at a time when its objective of being promoted to the Premier League was achieved. I will be keeping a keen interest in Fulham and I will be cheering for the team this season. I wish the Club every success and hopefully our paths will cross again in the future."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/pereira-leaves-fulham/

filham

Lawro predicting Villa to win at the Cottage on Monday, that helps to give me confidence.
Just wish Lawro would come out and make us his favourite for relegation.