watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What year are these signatures from?

Started by Hezz, September 30, 2020, 11:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hezz

Can anybody help identify when these signatures might be from (Onedrive link below as picture too large for post limit)? Using Google we've identified a few of the players and we THINK it dates around the early 50's. We can't make out who the chairman is (top right).

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkrmLLVvuc7Lg8B0SHau7nzkU6zwng?e=Y4e8sK

We received this along with a few other mementos and documents of a close family friend who has passed away, but we can't figure out when or why he would have received this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Fulham1959

Conspicuous by its absence is one of Johnny Haynes, so I would say very early 1950s.  Someone on here should be able to be more precise.

A number of clubs used to issue these autograph sheets back in the 1950s, 1960s - a nice idea.

filham

A lovely piece of history bringing back great memories from the early fifties and our first spell in the top flight of English football.

The blurred lettering in the top right corner is the clubs telegrapic address, Fulhamish Walham Green I think.
Frank Osborn is the name printed as our General manager and there is an autograph for Bill Dodgin the team manager.
Other players signatures include Jim Taylo centre half, Len Quested right half, Ian Black keeper, Arthur Stevens outside right, Bob Thomas inside right  and Eddie Lowe left half.

The best clue to the date is that Bill Dodgin became manager in 1949 and transfered Quested in 1952, so as those signatures are visible the document must be dated between1949 and 1952.

Len quested was a very popular, hard workng player and the fans thought letting him leave was the manager's biggest mistake.

RaySmith

Some of these autographs are   very familiar to me as I got them myself - Eddie Lowe, a favourite player of mine, who I got many times on photos, Bill Dodgin, the same, Robin Lawler, Joe Bacuzzi, Beddy jezzard.

These were still players  at the club when I began supporting about 1961/2, except Beddy jezzard who was manager.
But since most of the names on the sheet weren't at the club then, i would say early 50's is probably correct.

bill taylors apprentice

In the typed header it states F.R. Osborne as Sec / general manager so that dates it between 1948 to 64.
Johnny Campbell had retired by 1953 through injury and returned to N Ireland.
Bob Thomas moved to Palace in late 52 
Len Quested was sold in late 51 and emigrated to Aus in 57.

So I would say very early 50's.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Reg Lowe is one of the signatures there, and he joined in 1950s (waaaaaayyyyy before my time, I'm using power of t'internet).
He made 72 appearances.
E Lowe is also there, so if anyone can remember when they both played for the club, might narrow it down.

Woodlawn

My guess would be 1951, so many of those players went on to be managers at other clubs when they stopped playing.

filham

This is a lovely thread showing a real piece of Fulham memorabilia , treat the document with care and make sure it is passed on to a good home where it will be appreciated and looked after.

Hezz

Thanks for all the input and help, folks. Evidently some real passion for the club history.

I'll certainly suggest the paper be passed along to a suitable home - is there an official club museum or somewhere people would recommend sending this?

FFC NY

Like everyone else I narrowed it down to the early 50s 1950-1951. Tommy Cronin came to us in 1950 and as another mention Len Quested left us in 1951.