watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stuart Gray

Started by JimmyConway, October 01, 2020, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

I've always questioned his position as first team defensive coach mainly on the basis that our defenders don't improve as footballers along with making too many basic errors.
But in tonight's game it must of been a record for our defenders not even attempting to block the cross!

Tabby

Maybe there was a reason that Slav didn't want to retain him when promoted.

Andy S

To do nothing solves nothing

BestOfBrede

Must admit, we need a new defensive coach and a new defence also

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Tabby on October 01, 2020, 08:57:34 PM

Weren't we also terrible without him

Tabby

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 01, 2020, 09:21:19 PM

And we've not improved since he came back. So he probably wasn't the messiah of defending that he was made out to be on here.

Somerset Fulham

It is literally just open season right now, isn't it? Think of a name, then blame them...

70sPimlico

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 01, 2020, 09:24:11 PM
It is literally just open season right now, isn't it? Think of a name, then blame them...

Used to be always Ali Mac, who seems to get away with it nowadays

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Tabby on October 01, 2020, 09:22:51 PM

And we've not improved since he came back. So he probably wasn't the messiah of defending that he was made out to be on here.

We got promoted, not starting an argument - but the defensive coach isn't the problem....look at what premiership team's are playing for players.... chelski currently have a £70m+ goalkeeper on the bench.....just about everybody said we're not ready for the prem....and we're not - there's no quick fixes

Tabby

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 01, 2020, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: Tabby on October 01, 2020, 09:22:51 PM

We got promoted, not starting an argument - but the defensive coach isn't the problem....look at what premiership team's are playing for players.... chelski currently have a £70m+ goalkeeper on the bench.....just about everybody said we're not ready for the prem....and we're not - there's no quick fixes

I'm not saying that Stuart Gray is the problem. I'm saying that he isn't the solution.

love4ffc

I do wonder if it is time for Mr. Grey to move on.  My understanding is the players love him, though that should not be the reason to keep a coach around.  I do think we need a new defensive coach.  I've said this before, Fulham need someone who would drill the defense nonstop like I have heard Roy did in his practices.  Maybe, just maybe then we plug the leaky holes and stop shipping off goals for just the fun of it.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

jarv

100 percent agree with H4.....everyone complaining needs to chill a bit.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: love4ffc on October 01, 2020, 11:34:30 PM
I do wonder if it is time for Mr. Grey to move on.  My understanding is the players love him, though that should not be the reason to keep a coach around.  I do think we need a new defensive coach.  I've said this before, Fulham need someone who would drill the defense nonstop like I have heard Roy did in his practices.  Maybe, just maybe then we plug the leaky holes and stop shipping off goals for just the fun of it.   

Agreed.   We're worse at defending corner kicks than any team I've seen this season.    We're opened up in the middle of pitch more than any team I've seen this season...and our positional awareness is horrible when we don't have the ball.

And this isn't new to just the EPL.    Good championship sides can also open us up.   We shipped 3 goals to Sheffield Wednesday simply because they made half time adjustments...

Ok...yes...it's the players too, but someone in the coaching staff is failing in his defensive responsibilities.

The Rational Fan

There is a right time for everything, now is for the DOF and recruitment team to finalise the seasons transfers. The time to review non-plaing staff is when the window is closed and only if the new combination isn't working.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 02, 2020, 03:25:07 AM
There is a right time for everything, now is for the DOF and recruitment team to finalise the seasons transfers. The time to review non-plaing staff is when the window is closed and only if the new combination isn't working.

I think this is sensible. We will need to take stock at 10 games and make decisions, assuming we aren't losing 3-0 every week up to that point i.e. De Boer! Accept some will think this is too late, but the best situation for everyone (in my opinion) would be that results turn around and SP gets us playing, so this is what I will support until then.

H4usuallysitting

Wonder what the stats say about Mr Gray.... I'd bet we've won more game's with him, than without him....also, the player's love him....he isn't the problem - he's given players to work with....we are apparently getting new player's coming in....so, let's see where we are in a couple of months.

Jamie88

I have mentioned this on another thread, but I had heard that he has been having health issues in recent times so I think he has been taking a bit more of a backseat role

toshes mate

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 02, 2020, 11:38:21 AM
Wonder what the stats say about Mr Gray.... I'd bet we've won more game's with him, than without him....also, the player's love him....he isn't the problem - he's given players to work with....we are apparently getting new player's coming in....so, let's see where we are in a couple of months.
+1

Lordedmundo

Quote from: toshes mate on October 02, 2020, 12:07:09 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 02, 2020, 11:38:21 AM
+1

I'm not convinced that Stuart Grey is the defensive coach anyway and therefore do not think he is the problem.

filham

The hard fact is that our individual players are just not up to it, us fans have been crying out for improved players in the back four for a long while , but it just hasn't happened. Parker should be knocking on TK's door every Monday morning reminding him of this priority.
Oh I forgot TK's office is usually empty, Parker has a problem then.