News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Make yourself hard to beat they use to say !!!

Started by JimmyConway, October 03, 2020, 11:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Like many been totally dismayed at recent performances which has highlighted our defensive woes and when you look at some of the goals conceded there are some poor basic defensive errors which as supporters we have become custom to. Good management can't legislate for everything on the pitch but what they will do is organise defences work on strength of defender/s look to improve a player/s have a dossier on opponent/s strengths and weaknesses. So why are we continuously averaging 3-4 goals per game. It's not like we aren't familiar of Leeds and Villa to a certain extent?
We know midfield need to perform protection but the goals conceded so far this season in the league have mainly all been down to poor defending.
The failure in attempting to block a cross? The continuous switching off of the run in behind? The pointing and looking to blame anyone else after a goal has been conceded? It goes on?

So where is the issue - For me it's mainly poor defenders but will not totally exempt management. I can only hope that should we see 2 or 3 new defenders rock up on Monday they have had good defensive coaching prior to arrival as I'm not convinced of our management strength in this area.

Whitesideup

I can see your point, and agree that there have been too many defensive errors, and very early in the game at that, which immediately gives the oppo a confidence boost, and the freedom to risk a bit more.

But the first point you make is the salient one. We should be set up to be solid from the start. Three minutes in against Villa, yes, Grealish ran past Odoi for a one-on-one with the keeper. On re-watching the goal it looks as if Grealish is central about 7 or 8 yards outside our box. I can't be sure as I didn't really think about it at the time, but I don't recall a Fulham midfielder within 10 yards of him. There was certainly no one in front of him. 3 minutes into the game for God's sake, and we are giving a player rated very highly by many, that much space in front of our back 4.

So yes, I want to see us protect that space right from the start. I want to see a defensive set-up that means if one of the full-backs does get forward, the shape of the team adjusts so we just don't leave a gaping hole down that side of the pitch. That can be for the remaining 3 defenders adjusting their positions, or indeed a midfielder holding back or even moving across. But I don't see us doing anything and both full-backs are being caught wrong side of their counterpart who has acres of space in front of him.

So it's all very well Parker saying our defending has not been good enough, but he has to set the team up "to be hard to beat". We have a better chance of winning games if we are 0-0 rather than suffering a 3 goal deficit which has happened in all 4 games so far. Let's start tomorrow.

Southcoastffc

I've been a long-standing critic of Parker, didn't like him as a player for us, thought that despite a very talented squad under him we greatly under-performed in the Championship and didn't think he was the man to lead us in the Prem.  However, I did think that this season his approach would be primarily to make us hard to beat.  I hope he can change things but I'm not optimistic.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.