watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our shape in the games ahead.

Started by colinwhite, October 16, 2020, 10:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

With about six hours of the domestic EFL transfer window it looks like the club is about to sign another Central defender in Kongolo . That makes threee in and as yet none out the exit door. If rumours are to be believed we could also be considering releasing Knockhart on loan.
Considering the possible consequences of our advancements in the transfer market, its seems logical that we are about to see significant changes in our shape. Three at the back with wing backs seems very likely to me, particularly in our away matches. Of course this strategy has been tested from time to time ,but we now have the personel to implement a strong back three with wings backs that can slide back into position to stablise us when under pressure.
I believe our system will be fluid ,523,541,343 call it what you like. Either way it will mean 3 central defenders on the pitch at the same time with 2 deep lying midfielders and three offensive players ,wing backs, with wide strikers rather than traditional wingers who hug the line. Crucially it will be the wing backs that provide width,crossing and make forward runs.
I expect us to be lower in our press (as we were against Wolves) with a more solid defensive press starting from around the centre circle.
Scott Parker is inexperienced as a coach but has a solid knowledge of this division. He wont be able to get quick results and is far from perfect. I hope he is now given time to put his mark on this new team . I believe he was appointed not just to get us up ,but to keep us in the PL. 3 points on sunday could be massive for our season and also give pointers on how the team shape is likely to look moving forward.

RaySmith

Good post Colin.

I think we have had a very good window, even if  still lacking another goalscorer, and hope to see an improved Fulham team.
Well, we seemed to be getting there v  Wolves.

But obviously  we shouldn't expect too much immediately, but time is of the  essence, so the  new line, depending on how many newbies Scott plays, needs to hit the ground running, and points are essential.

WE also need to remain calm if results don't come straight away.
A lot of pressure on the players going into this game, but on Sheff U too.

filham

Not convinced that we will be playing three at the back, if we were to do this where is the cover for injuries red cards etc.

More likely that Parker will stay with just two centre backs and enjoy the security of quality cover.
He may of course be prepared switch to three at the back when chasing a game with only twenty minutes or so left but even that hasn't proved successful.

colinwhite

We now have 5 cbs plus odoi ,so my point was that it would be logical to assume we will play 3 at the back or 5 if you prefer,in some matches.