watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A very strange transfer window

Started by FulhamStu, October 17, 2020, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

In a shortened window that came on us too quickly we have managed to recruit a completely new defence and upgraded midfield and upfront whilst spending less than £20M.  On paper that looks remarkable but we are now presented with a massive challenge on becoming a cohesive team.

Andersen's injury is a big blow as I saw him as our leader and mainstay at the back. Getting Kongolo allows us options to go 3 at the back, for me Tosin, Andersen, Kongolo looks great, but would be brand new and totally untested. With Kongolo needing a few more weeks to get match fit and Andersen injured we can move more carefully towards this system, initially integrating Tosin, then Kongolo, then finally Andersen, this could actually help but we need 2 of Hector, Ream and MLM to get their act together now.

With Andersen out we can also play all 5 loanees, Areola will start, Lemina I am unsure about but could be excellent, RLC should be a star in our first 11 and Lookman has also to start.  We also need Aina until Tete recovers.

It's a massive challenge to get all these new players to gel, and Parker has to meet this challenge to give us a chance.  On paper we look good and the recruitment of the permanent players are good for the future if we are relegated.

I will post another thread about the financial situation as this is about players and tactics.

fcfulham55

I think its the most underwhelming transfer window so far in the years I've been supporting Fulham.

But always proved wrong, so we'll finish top half.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

FulhamStu

Quote from: fcfulham55 on October 17, 2020, 11:49:25 AM
I think its the most underwhelming transfer window so far in the years I've been supporting Fulham.

Haha, we'll suspect you are a relatively young person then because I remember selling Malcolm MacDonald, our top scorer with 5 goals to Luton, swapping one of England's great goal scorers Allan Clark for the useless Frank Large, giving away Paul Parker and Rodney Marsh to the haha's and many more cock ups besides.  Up to the MAF days the transfer window saw us robbed most seasons.

cottage expat

Quote from: FulhamStu on October 17, 2020, 11:58:06 AM

Haha, we'll suspect you are a relatively young person then because I remember selling Malcolm MacDonald, our top scorer with 5 goals to Luton, swapping one of England's great goal scorers Allan Clark for the useless Frank Large, giving away Paul Parker and Rodney Marsh to the haha's and many more cock ups besides.  Up to the MAF days the transfer window saw us robbed most seasons.

Ouch. Painful reminders of the Clark/Large screw up and letting go of Marsh !

fcfulham55

Started following Fulham at the age of 6, Div 2 champion's season.  Then had the best time od my life as a season ticket holder a couple of year later to see us get promoted to the Premier League, champions again. Maybe it was still known as the Premiership as apposed to Premier League right back in those good old glory days.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Mickeyboro

Frankly, Tony hopes RLC will paper over his failings as a Director of Football.

The points given up already while he mucked about will send us down.

How a defence is supposed to organise itself from scratch at this stage is beyond me. And where will the goals come from when Mitro is injured/suspended?

Words fail me...

davew

The transfer window has sealed our fate, we will finish 18th and 19th but not bottom, I hope!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

General

Was about to say, must be very young. I remember a lot of seasons, even up until the end of his ownership where MAF didn't want to spend money in any windows and when he did it was for bargains or by picking up older players who wanted to play again or fringe players who'd shown quality.

The only difference was when we got to the Europa League final and he brought in better managers and spent a bit more on players like dembele the first.

If we had got to the Europa League final with MAF but the amount of willingness to buy players as the khan's have done we stood a chance of making the most of the final appearance but sadly that all got lost in the ether.

Whether they know what they're doing or whether it's been frustrating having to see Fulham go up and down and make the same mistakes, one thing you have to acknowledge with the khan's is they're always open to bringing in players.

rebel

Guys you'll be pleasantly surprised, an 8th or close to finish. Just need Parker to get the best out of the players, play some football, be dynamic, Leeds after we were 4 - 1 down, we have some real quality in the team now.   

Jeroen

Yes, we could have done with a back up striker or starting winger, but.....

I think we did some clever business in the transfer window! We have spend peanuts on quality in defence.
Yes no big name signing, but a defence that gives us a change to stay up and with Tete (option to buy?), Tosin, Kongolo and Robinson we have a defence that will grow and could be there for years to come whichever league we are in! (Or can be sold for a tidy profit)

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Jeroen on October 17, 2020, 08:42:48 PM

I think we did some clever business in the transfer window! We have spend peanuts on quality in defence.
Yes no big name signing, but a defence that gives us a change to stay up and with Tete (option to buy?), Tosin, Kongolo and Robinson we have a defence that will grow and could be there for years to come whichever league we are in! (Or can be sold for a tidy profit)

Tete was signed permanently on a 4 year deal. Whether he would be willing to drop the championship is another question

Twig

Quote from: Jeroen on October 17, 2020, 08:42:48 PM

Not so sure; Tete, Kongolo and Anderson all injured.  Decent defence on paper but by the time we see it click the ship may have sailed.

MickyAdamsFamily

We all would've liked to see another attacking player, someone who can play as a backup to Mitro when he gets suspended/injured, or next to Mitro when we want to play 2 up top, and who could ideally play on the wing, as well. Someone like Karlan Grant (or Ismaila Sarr) woulda been fine...
In truth, Danny Welbeck on a 1-year "prove your worth" type of contract wouldnt be crazy, but we'd have to jettison someone else to clear a roster space, when we've already got too many players and too few places.
Other than that one position, I actually think that we've acquired quality players in the positions we needed reinforcing, and generally got them at reasonable fees. To get Tete, Robinson, Tosin and Kongolo all on long term peranent contracts for around 11mil is really good business (3/4 the price of what Villa paid for Matty Cash). I'm not that big a fan of TK, but we can't exactly blame him for the injuries to Tete and Andersen.

SuffolkWhite

Not read much of above,  but we are where we are, so get behind the team.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

karldutton

Fulham could have easily done with 1 more attacking midfielder or a second striker to help out Mitro upfront a bit more.
I am happy that players like Loftus-Cheek, Kongolo, Lookman...Etc have signed. But, I do think we could have done with another goalscorer, someone that can get at least 10 goals or something like that.

jayffc

Quote from: bytheriverside on October 17, 2020, 11:19:17 PM
Fulham could have easily done with 1 more attacking midfielder or a second striker to help out Mitro upfront a bit more.
I am happy that players like Loftus-Cheek, Kongolo, Lookman...Etc have signed. But, I do think we could have done with another goalscorer, someone that can get at least 10 goals or something like that.

I'm not underestimating Lookman Or RLC to have a standout season in that regard...they've both shown signs of some top talent, but neither has been at clubs where they were the first name on the team sheet and now they have something to prove.

They will be getting regular football, RLC wants to start for Chelsea and England, Lookman also will want to prove he really is the top talent Evertin were foolish to let go.

The more I watch clips of the pair of them the more excited I am to see a triangle of Lookman, RLC and Mitro...cant help but think between them there is enough skill to unlock many defences down the left.

Perhaps that opens up the right side for someone like Kamara or Cav to finally step up. But that left side for us is going to be a big factor....especially with Robinson overlapping.

FulhamStu

Quote from: fcfulham55 on October 17, 2020, 05:54:31 PM

Started following Fulham at the age of 6, Div 2 champion's season.  Then had the best time od my life as a season ticket holder a couple of year later to see us get promoted to the Premier League, champions again. Maybe it was still known as the Premiership as apposed to Premier League right back in those good old glory days.

Thought so... good time to start supporting the whites.