https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Post Match Thread: Sheffield Utd 1-1 Fulham

Started by Milo, October 18, 2020, 01:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: rebel on October 18, 2020, 02:08:20 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on October 18, 2020, 01:58:21 PM
Mitro dropping a 0/10 really tops it off for me. If we're relying on him as our main goal threat we are down, he takes far too many chances to score. How many did he get today and how poor was his link up play.

VAR is pathetic, nobody thought that was a pen until it was freeze framed that Mitro touched their defender

I've been saying this for a long time, he needs 4 attempts to score one goal.
[/quote
Yes, but most of his chances are only half chances at best, usually created by himself getting in where it hurts,   while  being  bashed and blocked off, with little protection as usual.
He was unlucky today, on another he would have  scored.

But there's still too much reliance on him, though Lookman  showed a new  aspect to our game with his individual skill- Anguisssa and Robinson too, even Lemina - so maybe  there  won't be such pressure on Mitro.

Inmyday75

Obvious disappointment in not winning the game, but we could have been 2 or 3 nil down at half time.
The season is a marathon not a sprint and judging us on our second half today, at last we look like we have the makings of a competitive side in this division. Certainly some confidence now moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lordedmundo

Quote from: grandad on October 18, 2020, 02:03:54 PM
Mariner all at sea with the pen. Var is a joke & is truly spoiling the game. How you can give a pen 3 minutes after the event. What would have happened if we had scored in those 3 minutes?

Agreed - absoolutely terrible. If this is the future of football then I'm not interested anymore.  I just don't see that as a foul at all. I thought the rule was that it has to be something clear that the referee has missed.  If VAR is going to dissect every bit of every game then there would be about 300 fouls and 10 penalties over 90mins!  :031:

FFC In Oz

If it wasn't clear a couple of days ago, it's now abundantly clear that signing a King, Grant or Welbeck would have been a shrewd move.  Even an off his game Mitro still provides more than AK or BDR would.

They dominated the first half, and we were all over them in the second, so a draw is probably a fair result on the balance of play.  However, it's disheartening because we were finishing all over them - another 5 minutes and we would have scored.

That begs the question though - why can't we play like that from the start?  Similar thing happened at Leeds where it took being 4-1 down for us to start playing with a semblance of fluidity and urgency.

Areola 7.5 - made a few smart saves, probably should have done better with the corner they got the pen from, although on another day the ref calls for a foul on him.

Aina 4 - sub par performance.  Gave the ball away cheaply a few times and didn't really look comfortable.  Please hurry up and get fit Tete.

Robinson 7.5 - I'm liking him more and more.  I felt sorry for him because he was making a number of runs in the first hour and was being ignored.  Solid defensively too

Adorabioyo 8 - I hope I got the spelling right.  Looks a player.  Has good composure on the ball and seems to get in the right spots

Ream 5 - really poor in the first half, but improved substantially in the second.  Made poor decisions in the first half when he kept backing off and allowed Berge to carry the ball and shoot, and lost McBurnie when he had the golden chance in the first half.  Had a couple of timely interventions in the second half though.

Cairney 6 - much better second half by TC.  He seemed to be more willing to burst forward and get some dangerous balls in, and was unlucky not to score when he forced a good save by Ramsdale.

Anguissa 8.5 - monstrous game by him today.  He was everywhere.  So industrious and he covers every blade of grass on the pitch.  My favourite player currently.

Loftus-Cheek 5.5 - did a few nice things, but overall still looked like he was adapting to the way his new team mates play, which is fair enough.  Gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times, but I like his spatial awareness and the fact that he's always on the move when we have the ball.  Will be a good pick up.

Lookman 9 - Was good in the first half, but the second half was something else.  Once he started to back himself they couldn't stop him.  Lovely goal too.

Cavaleiro 4 - He is the reason why a large number of fans wanted us to sign Benrahma or another winger of first team quality.  Lacks the quality on the final ball and runs himself in to trouble constantly.  4 is probably  generous but I gave him an extra point and a half for effort, because he was constantly running.  The problem is if we drop him, we will get similar output from BDR or AK.

Mitro 1 - Worst game I've seen him play.  Missed a pen.  Gave away their pen for the equaliser.  On top of that missed a handful of chances, that you would expect him to bury 2 of at the minimum. 

Lemina 7.5 - I was SUPER impressed when he came on as a sub.  He looked terrific.  Some nice diagonal balls, and showed quick feet on the edge of their area when he set up Cairney for his chance too.  I would like to see him start in place of Cav next week, and shift RLC out wide (although from what Parker said, this seems unlikely because he sees RLC playing his best football centrally

rebel

Quote from: Milo on October 18, 2020, 02:00:41 PM
I felt penalty was a shocking decision. Barely clipped his boot. There'll be 5 penalties a game if that's the threshold for gods sake.

Felt Robinson has secured his LB spot. Very secure, and a threat at times going forward.

New CB Tosin passed out from back well and laid a good offside trap.

Anguissa as ever retains possession well and suddenly goes up the gears with quick feet.

Lookman a real handful. Rich man's Kebano? Quick feet and a quality end product.

Loftus Cheek didn't look out of place but perhaps a little rusty/lacking form so no real impact per se.

Mitrovic.. well. Just a bad day at the office. No lack of effort. Probably the international midweek game affected him.

Lookman ignored Robinson's runs in the first half, only criticism. You can see wants to make things happen. 

AnOldBrownie

Lookman needs to pass to Robinson on those overlaps. Constantly ignored him.

Areola was great.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

rebel

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on October 18, 2020, 02:00:51 PM
How do you not sub Mitro for AK47 or Bobby with 15 minutes to go?

So frustrating.

Agree, maybe with 25 minutes to go.

clarkey

Fulham defence looked much better today, Ream excellent as predicted. Toisin passing is excellent.

Lookman brilliant so lots of positives but CAV...why ???? He was awful, we played the game with 10 men and he gave the ball away more than he didn't and contributed zero. When free and we had 3 to 1 in the box he passed to the one defender. Appalling. He needs shipping out.

Parker also showed how bad he is with substitutions, which is abig failing of his. At 70 mins Loftus Cheek was shot, needed to come off but he waited another 10 minutes, and of course Cav should have been hooked at 45 mins, we neded either Kebano, Reed or Josh to toughen it up, especially in last 15 minutes. We only used one sub, this is a failing, we needed fresh legs, there is nothing to lose in bringing in some energy at that time. :Look at the impact when he did  make a sub eventually !

Still lots of positives.

grandad

Excellent close up pic on the BBC showing that both players had a foot in the air both trying to get the ball. No way should that be a pen. There was no intent to foul. One of the worst VAR decisions I have seen & there have been plenty of shockers.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Tabby

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on October 18, 2020, 02:18:32 PM

Areola was great.

I felt he messed up pretty bad for their penalty. Should have been punching that rather than trying to collect and dropping the ball in the middle of the area.

Had some good saves though, admittedly most of them were from offside attacks.

rebel

Quote from: andyk on October 18, 2020, 02:01:42 PM
Second half was quality. We bossed the game and they got a very dodgy penalty .  There are signs of hope, Lookman obviously, RLC  too. Pity we didn't win but I'm a bit more hopeful than I was at half time. 
Looking at the table, it's possible 32 or 33 points will be enough this season.

After we went 1 - 0 up, we need to boss the game from the first minute. 

Luka

Disappointed to drop two points.
We had enough chances to have won this comfortabley today, especially in the second half.

rebel

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 18, 2020, 02:01:56 PM
Well we did have the worst player on the park in Mitro.
Overweight,lacklustre,waiting for the ball just to drop for him.
Cost us the game,no pressure on him from another decent striker on the bench.
Don't care how many goals he's scored for us in the Championship,thats history...
Needs a kick up the arse,and hopefully wakens up for the Palace game.

This has been the case for some time.

AnOldBrownie

Start the same team next week... except AK47 on the right. Will need his pace...and Cav doesn't offer more than him on the right side.

rebel

Quote from: RaySmith on October 18, 2020, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: rebel on October 18, 2020, 02:08:20 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on October 18, 2020, 01:58:21 PM
Mitro dropping a 0/10 really tops it off for me. If we're relying on him as our main goal threat we are down, he takes far too many chances to score. How many did he get today and how poor was his link up play.

VAR is pathetic, nobody thought that was a pen until it was freeze framed that Mitro touched their defender

I've been saying this for a long time, he needs 4 attempts to score one goal.
Yes, but most of his chances are only half chances at best, usually created by himself getting in where it hurts,   while  being  bashed and blocked off, with little protection as usual.
He was unlucky today, on another he would have  scored.

But there's still too much reliance on him, though Lookman  showed a new  aspect to our game with his individual skill- Anguisssa and Robinson too, even Lemina - so maybe  there  won't be such pressure on Mitro.

Today he had 3 clear chances, yes he wasn't at his best, but should have scored from the spot.

Mod: Just cleaned up the missing quote.

rebel

Quote from: Tabby on October 18, 2020, 02:20:16 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on October 18, 2020, 02:18:32 PM

Areola was great.

I felt he messed up pretty bad for their penalty. Should have been punching that rather than trying to collect and dropping the ball in the middle of the area.

Had some good saves though, admittedly most of them were from offside attacks.

Agree especially as there were tons of players infront, a bad choice, but made some good saves today.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on October 18, 2020, 02:25:03 PM
Start the same team next week... except AK47 on the right. Will need his pace...and Cav doesn't offer more than him on the right side.

I would prefer to see Lemina start and shift RLC out to the right

Pippo

We started well. But then we were lucky not to go into the break losing 1 or 2 nil. Sheffield clearly the stronger side in the first. We had good possession but absorbed a good few waves of Sheffield attacks. Areola superb aside from spilling the cross that led to the second half penalty. He can be forgiven because he kept us in it in the first half.

Came out much stronger second half. Defence was more solid.
Tosin had a great game and his solidity should inspire confidence for future matches.
Ream alongside had a good game aside from one or two dodgy clearances.
Aina dropped off for most of the match and didn't look confident going forward, still early days for him though.
Robinson was caught out a few times because he was playing so high. But he looked dangerous going forward, and our players failed to find the runs he was making often in the second half. Promising.
Lookman was always trying to find holes and drive into dangerous areas. Rewarded with a great goal. Fantastic balance and acceleration on him. Holds onto the ball for too long at times.
RLC wasn't involved a lot in the first half but grew into the game in the second. The early sub might signify his fitness isn't there yet so hopefully we will see a better performance going forward.
Cairney not great in the first but a different player in the second.
Cav mostly ineffectual apart from a good cross and a touch or two.
Zambo let a few lazy passes stray but was on the whole a dangerous attacking threat. Quick feet and deceptively fast. Uses his body well.
Lemina came on and looked fantastic.

Texas White

Quote from: Milo on October 18, 2020, 02:00:41 PM
I felt penalty was a shocking decision. Barely clipped his boot. There'll be 5 penalties a game if that's the threshold for gods sake.

Felt Robinson has secured his LB spot. Very secure, and a threat at times going forward.

New CB Tosin passed out from back well and laid a good offside trap.

Anguissa as ever retains possession well and suddenly goes up the gears with quick feet.

Lookman a real handful. Rich man's Kebano? Quick feet and a quality end product.

Loftus Cheek didn't look out of place but perhaps a little rusty/lacking form so no real impact per se.

Mitrovic.. well. Just a bad day at the office. No lack of effort. Probably the international midweek game affected him.

Yes shocking penalty decision.
Ream was steady, lots of encouraging signs. I think Mitro was tired. Also he scores more when it comes from the right side.

Not sure what's going on with Cav.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: rebel on October 18, 2020, 02:21:58 PM
Quote from: andyk on October 18, 2020, 02:01:42 PM
Second half was quality. We bossed the game and they got a very dodgy penalty .  There are signs of hope, Lookman obviously, RLC  too. Pity we didn't win but I'm a bit more hopeful than I was at half time. 
Looking at the table, it's possible 32 or 33 points will be enough this season.

Agreed.

It's a shame because we actually look pretty good when we are switched on and playing with some urgency.

We look much more cohesive going forward.

I've no idea why we can't start games like that

After we went 1 - 0 up, we need to boss the game from the first minute.