watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

positives today

Started by Motspur, October 18, 2020, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur

before today I thought we were certainties for relegation; first half I probably felt this same even with possession stats. However second half we controlled the game. the first half defensively we were allowing them to walk through us but the high and consistent straight defensive line saved us as well as several point blank saves. Second half we controlled the game. Lookman was superb; Anguissa a midfield lynchpin; TC excellent - he was more positive today than i've seen previously with Tom. I love Antonee Robinson - he only knows one direction and thats towards the opposition goal. RLC will get better and Mitro will use today as a motivation. Only real disappointment was Cavaleiro supply into the box. Personally i'd prefer BDR in team for movement and getting in the box. Well played too for Tosin on debut. I'm going to sleep better than last night basis our season prospects.

AJW48361

Tosin hard to judge on one performance signs are good though.

General

I have to admit I got very frustrated in the first half and with the first half. We could have conceded a lot. We gave up a lot of chances and had no confidence. It worries me that our second half has papered over cracks. We can't turn up for only one half.

On top of that we looked slightly naive and I said it on other posts and sadly felt harsh in singling out Cav, Ream and Cairney played the ball far too slowly and played at a championship pace - they slowed tempo down to much, took too long on the ball and we had a tactic too where we were trying to catch Sheffield Utd offside when they were on the edge of our box, which is far too risky.

That said, there were clearly positives.

Parker did make a change at half time (although why not when he spotted it during the first half).

Ultimately we didn't buckle though and we had the better possession and could have won the game.

Lookman continued the form he showed at Wolves, which is promising. Aina and Robinson looked solid, so did Tosin.

I think Anguissa looks like he's in for the fight this time. RLC had glimpses of his quality and has only played 4 games since coming back from injury, so lacks match fitness. 

I think there's a real foundation and togetherness in the squad in many ways and with a team so unused to each other, there's clearly a lot of potential as they develop an understanding and compete for positions and build a positivity around the club. Get in Andersen and Kongolo and that base becomes even more solid.

There are a few selfish players in the team who didn't put enough effort in... Cairney and Cavaleiro for me were guilty of walking far too much when had they put in a bit more effort they could've affected the play near them a lot more had they been more active.

Regarding Mitro, I think we need to cut him some slack today. He has had a very busy period in the internationals playing most of the games and only coming back three days ago - must be knackered. He's been soo realiable for us and even if he had an off patch he's still more than earned our patience and respect. He's carrying a lot of expectation.

When we look at who we've played and the form they're in so far then I think we can take comfort that whilst we may be in the bottom half, we're in a position where we can compete and even more so as the team gels.

Aston Villa are 2nd, Arsenal 5th, Leeds 9th (4-3 close game in the end), Wolves 15th (close 1-0 loss) and Sheffield Utd are 17th (and we should've arguably won), we've also got equity in the fact that 3 of our closer games were away games so we still have the reverse fixture to hopefully take advantage from.

Stats from the game were

59% possession to us
15 shots vs their 10
6 on target for both teams

And when looking on the Sheffield Utd boards, even they think we should've/could've won.

Can't help but think we would've been in a better position had we as always made our signings earlier in the window.

70sPimlico

Quote from: General on October 18, 2020, 10:04:08 PM

Parker did make a change at half time (although why not when he spotted it during the first half).

I think Anguissa looks like he's in for the fight this time.

I'm sorry to concentrate on just two of your many points but I was just keen on your answers.

I'm keen to know what you think those changes were at the start of the second half?

I think Anguissa looks like he's in for the fight this time.

Do you think the problem with Zambo when he was here before was lack of fight on his part?

I ask the second point as, well I couldn't disagree any more than I do, but, I generally like your points and was surprised you'd fell into that view of him

Woolly Mammoth

The main positive for me was we got a deserved draw, and should and could have won. We are off the mark, and we were not hanging on to save a point, so it was encouraging and the best is yet to come, and please remember we scored and we are joint 17th and off the bottom.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 18, 2020, 11:44:28 PM
The main positive for me was we got a deserved draw, and should and could have won. We are off the mark, and we were not hanging on to save a point, so it was encouraging and the best is yet to come, and please remember we scored and we are joint 17th and off the bottom.
The main positive for me was, as a team we started to show our potential and I'm sure we have good days to come but, as a result, the posters that have been fairly toxic in their views have been incredibly quiet.