watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Palace

Started by terryr, October 20, 2020, 08:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

Palace fans are already discussing playing us at the weekend so I thought I'd give you a preview of their early comments.

Fulham up next
Will we see an away performance and formation similar to United or will we endure yet another inept performance like the Brighton game yesterday??
If the latter,Roy should be asked to stand down.
Feeling things cannot get much worse and going for a 2-0 win."

" 1-0 Fulham. Defend for 89 minutes and then concede in added time"

" 1-0 Fulham. Defend for 89 minutes and then concede in added time"

" I reckon we'll thrash them 1-0 despite 28% possession"

" A Fulham victory for me.

Yesterday, away from home they had 15 shots with 6 on target
At home yesterday we had only 1 shot and only 1 on target, a penalty."

" I predict we will be boring. (Is that even a prediction any more?)"

" 2-0 Fulham, 0-0 at half time, Benteke on in the 89th minute."

"I predict that a defeat on the back of yet another turgid performance and there will be Vesuvian eruptions on HOL."

" Roy's strength is getting points from the teams in and around us. I think PvA will come back in and that might help us going forward. I'm not expecting us to be entertaining but we have a very experienced team who are more than capable of wearing Fulham down with our organisation, especially if the Cahill/Kouyate partnership can be retained. I'm going for a dull 1-0."

" Post match prezza...

A good defensive performance, the boys worked very hard. I thought we were very unlucky to concede so late on. The second goal was unfortunate, pressing for an equaliser and getting caught on the break. Fulham were very well organised and unfortunately forced Palace into a siege mentality. If only the one attempt on goal we had went in, it would have been a different game.
Eze on in the 68th minute, for Jimmy Mac. Benteke on with 5 mins to go replacing Schlupp. Bats ineffective. Wilf not interested now the transfer window has closed.
Why cant we play like we did pre-season, when hanging on for nil was not the over-riding directive."

" Watch out for RLC - we have first hand knowledge of his ability and he knows how we play and how to get Mitrovich going."

" That was back in the day when we played football. Now we train all week without the ball in preparation for the weekend."

" I have a vision in my mind of the team at Beckenham performing a 'Line dancing' routine all moving in unison from side to side."

" Two lines of 4, each player is allotted 15 sq yards in which to patrol, keeping time with his team mates. The ball is secondary to considerations, it's all about shape."

" I've seen table football teams play a less rigid system than us and they all had metal bars through their chests"

" Fulham's weakness is in defence.
I'd like to see us take the game to them, but of course that is unlikely to happen.
Their signings have strengthened the team and they have more attacking threat now and look a tougher proposition than at the start of the season.
1-1 if we sit back, but 2-1 to us if Roy takes the handbreak off (unlikely)"

" They have added to their defensive ranks recently by signing Aina,Kongolo,Anderson,Robinson,Adarabioyo.
They have only conceded 2 in their last 2 games."

" Despite all the negativity re yesterday and the season moving forward, I reckon it will be 2-0 to Palace. The team Roy puts out will have too much experience and guile for Fulham in my opinion. Anyway, I look forward to the game and hopefully a beer or two in celebration next Saturday night!"

" They really struggled to break down the blades on the weekend. It took a moment of brilliance from Lookman. We can defend solidly and I fancy our attackers to cause them enough problems to make some chances.
I think PVA is probably missed more than many realise. I also wouldn't mind Ward making way for Clyne if he is fit. With our compact defence in the middle, Jairo and Macca don't have the opportunity to create much, they are too busy breaking things up. Some creativity from full back would be really important.
2-0 to us, Batshuayi to get off the mark and Schlupp to score"

" I predict a routine 2-0 win for us and hopefully everyone will stop whining"

" Palace have good away form, and I predict an away 3 points. The good thing at the moment is that players are coming back from injury, so the overall depth of the squad is getting stronger."

" I have finally been put off of football and one man has done it. I can not stomach watching another minute of this absolute shower of s***e. I don't care that we haven't won, I didn't really get excited when we scored because it was so obvious what would happen. The man has zero ambition and has played to draw from the first minute he got the job and playing as any sort of forward player in his setup must be unbearable. He takes the word defensive to another level. Theres never any movement going forward from anybody, when any defender gets it all they can do is lump it forward because there's nobody moving infront of them as the entire team is behind the ball. Its disgusting. TWO shots on goal in three games! has anybody heard of that before? I hear so many people say be careful what you wish for like we've just come up and have a piss poor team. We've been a prem club for nearly a decade now and have some excellent players so to suggest we need to play that sort of s***e and that he's the only manager that can keep us up is ridiculous. I absolutely can not wait until he f***s off, it will be my best day as a Palace fan in recent years. So is there anybody who's happy to continue watching this sort of stuff?

" Agree totally, last season i think the only thing that kept me tuned in was the excitement of the crowds i think. This year with that gone, its a total snoozefest. Its pretty depressing. I had thought that with the attacking options this season that Roy might go for it, but no, same old Roy."

" It's difficult to call it football when we are not interested in attacking and instead all just stand in 2 banks of 5 and shuffle from side to side."

" Embarrassing but so were the displays at Chelsea, Liverpool, defend first its so boring I'd rather lose or go down ( the inevitable) and have a go, this football is piss poor, Fulham should be getting 3pts,"

" Save myself time with these two words
ROY OUT"

" How bad has it got to, that we are trying to count a shot from an off side. May be time for a change of manager and a new mind set, on how to play the game. You can only win games by scoring goals. When we try to hold on to a 1 nil like today we are only one mistake away of a draw or a loss. We always seem to be making individual mistakes. Why are we trying to hold on to a 1 nil against teams like Brighton!!. If we want to stay up we need to be winning."

" Agreed,if we play like this against one of the few mediocre sides in the Prem,one shot against their 20,it is time for a change in direction from the leader who came up with the idea to use Harry Kane to take corners for England.
Fed up with his negativity and capitulation,but cannot see the stubborn old man being capable of any change."

" Ain't posted for a bit, just tend to sit back and see what's going on, but watching today was embarrassing, and am of the opinion that Roy Hodgson has had his day, and it ended around 15 years ago, let's be honest how the hell can a 70 odd year old man change his ways now, so predictable and has been for ages now, does anyone really think he would have the same sort of tactical dynamic as a Klopp,Guardiola,or any of the rest of the premier League managers, all very well being a nice bloke and well respected but a 70s/80s mentality doesn't get results in today's football, before anyone accuses me of being ageist, Roy is 3 year's older than me, sorry Roy call it a day, you are well behind"

" We play so much anti-football that the PL officials must be pleading with the refs to give penalties against us every match and try and speed our demise from Europe's showpiece league. Why on earth would anyone pay money to watch that. My Tottenham and West Ham mates waiting for the next match kept looking at me aghast, all I could do was shrug my shoulders. One Palace fan I was sat with phoned his friggin girlfriend during the game and asked if he could come round because there was nothing on TV. Bad times indeed."

" Sack Now      ...............................................................52   21.49%
Sack if we don't beat Fulham      ........................................37   15.29%
Tell him to play better football, if he doesn't then sack      .........77   31.82%
Keep regardless despite the dreadful football................................12

" Yesterday was absolutely soul destroying to watch. We have to be more adventurous against Fulham....but we won't."

That's it for now.
I'll update later in the week

bencher

Very entertaining as usual. All fans are pretty much the same, never know how good they have it and quickly forget the darker days. I don't recall how he was treated by WBA fans but I would guess we are the last set of fans that has not turned on Roy Hodgson.

It will be a tough game. I had high hopes for our first game 2 seasons ago at home to CP. They basically schooled us in the art of soaking up pressure/possession and scoring out of nothing. I should have realised then that it would be a long hard season. I hope we have grown up a bit since then and can use our qualities (we do have some!) to get 3 points.

ScalleysDad

I had picked up rumblings of discontent at Palace towards the back end of last season and was surprised they had not rung the changes over the break. Getting the England gig is great for the cv but I wonder if Roy has ever been so liked, almost worshipped, before or since his spell at The Cottage. Interesting touch line on Saturday when the new kid on the block meets revered legend.

gang

I don't know Bencher, it was boring and predictable when he was here; my wife's question when I came home was always "0-0 again?"

Southcoastffc

Zaha v Aina, Townsend v Robinson.  Interesting battles there.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Whitesideup

Quote from: bencher on October 20, 2020, 08:50:14 AM
Very entertaining as usual. All fans are pretty much the same, never know how good they have it and quickly forget the darker days. I don't recall how he was treated by WBA fans but I would guess we are the last set of fans that has not turned on Roy Hodgson.

It will be a tough game. I had high hopes for our first game 2 seasons ago at home to CP. They basically schooled us in the art of soaking up pressure/possession and scoring out of nothing. I should have realised then that it would be a long hard season. I hope we have grown up a bit since then and can use our qualities (we do have some!) to get 3 points.
That's exactly how I remember it Bencher. We were the better team by far, but were comfortably beaten 2-0 !!!

And some of the quotes from Palace fans remind me of the way we used to defend and how good we were at keeping our shape back in the days of Hodgson.

Players and tactics have moved on since those days .. do you realize it is nearly 13 years since Roy joined us? and Palace fans may have a point. Teams that are not great can still produce some really good football, Southampton, Wolves, even West Ham for God's sake, and it's not just about sitting back. To avoid a relegation battle Palace are going to have to be a bit more adventurous, and while next week's game is huge for us, it's big for them as well. They don't want to lose. They'd rather be looking upwards rather than over their shoulder at the likes of us creeping up on them.

bencher

Quote from: gang on October 20, 2020, 10:29:39 AM
I don't know Bencher, it was boring and predictable when he was here; my wife's question when I came home was always "0-0 again?"

It depends what we want really. If we want a stable team that is not under relegation threat, RH is your man, and in the long term it can provide a platform to achieve big things, like getting to EL final. If we want exciting football in the short-term, Slavisa was the man for that, but it came with a steep downside.

In some ways Parker has the makings of a hybrid of the two men, but it's a bit early to tell.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: bencher on October 20, 2020, 11:50:48 AM

In some ways Parker has the makings of a hybrid of the two men, but it's a bit early to tell.

I like the sentiment regarding Parker. If we can scrape by this year and stay up I imagine he will only get better. It is amazing to think this is his first job in proper management and he's been doing it for 18 odd months, in very shoddy circumstances! He got backing from the board yes, but he also got us up, including a masterminding of the playoffs.

..FOF..

So based on the sentiment at Palace, we will win:)

Then Roy will be sacked.

RaySmith

We achieved a 7th place finish under Roy ( and  8th under Hughes, and 9th under Coleman), as well as a European Final, with  teams of mainly  veterans and 'solid pro's' .
When Roy took over we looked doomed under Sanchez, and when he left, the media  referring to us as a  solid  mid Prem team.

What would we say if these things looked likely today.
But i think  Scott has done very well so far, and looks the right man for the job, so far anyway.

Bocanegra

The way Palace are playing (compact but somewhat boring) is fine when you are getting wins.

As soon as you get a draw or loss, coupled with a "lacklustre" attacking performances, fans begin to feel annoyed.

Like said above, if Palace sack him and start to drop they will likely look through this current period with a different outlook.

filham

Big match coming up for both teams. A six pointer and possible relegation battle.

Three points and a couple of goals (Mitro and Lookman) and I will be feeling so good about our prospects for the season.

Sgt Fulham

Getting to the Europa League final was pretty interesting. I do miss boring midtable finishes compared to now guessing whether we will lose by 5 or by 6! Not meant as a dig, your opinion is just as valid as mine, but I think 'boring' in the capacity you described is the best a club like ours can aspire to without serious serious investment.

RaySmith

Quote from: Bocanegra on October 20, 2020, 03:07:49 PM
The way Palace are playing (compact but somewhat boring) is fine when you are getting wins.

As soon as you get a draw or loss, coupled with a "lacklustre" attacking performances, fans begin to feel annoyed.

Like said above, if Palace sack him and start to drop they will likely look through this current period with a different outlook.

Like Charlton sacking Curbishey back in the day - an established mid-table Prem team, often punching  well above their weight, but fans thought  it too boring in style and  they could do even better, or  Stoke sacking Pulis -'we're bored with this  way of playing, it's dated- we  want more  exciting football.'

Where are these teams today?

rebel

Breaking down Palace's defence is the key. In general they don't concede many goals, Roy has them well drilled. They counter very well.
Have we got a midfield / attack that can break them down?

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Whitesideup on October 20, 2020, 11:45:39 AM
Quote from: bencher on October 20, 2020, 08:50:14 AM

That's exactly how I remember it Bencher. We were the better team by far, but were comfortably beaten 2-0 !!!

And some of the quotes from Palace fans remind me of the way we used to defend and how good we were at keeping our shape back in the days of Hodgson.

Players and tactics have moved on since those days .. do you realize it is nearly 13 years since Roy joined us? and Palace fans may have a point. Teams that are not great can still produce some really good football, Southampton, Wolves, even West Ham for God's sake, and it's not just about sitting back. To avoid a relegation battle Palace are going to have to be a bit more adventurous, and while next week's game is huge for us, it's big for them as well. They don't want to lose. They'd rather be looking upwards rather than over their shoulder at the likes of us creeping up on them.

We also weren't given a stonewall penalty at 0-1 that could have changed that match. We played well for newbies, but Palace took their chances well.

SP

So true DF, that non decision still aggravates me, it was an obvious penalty.

ffcne

Quote from: SP on October 20, 2020, 05:30:56 PM

yes another Ref who is against us Mr Tranmere Mike Dean.

SP

Quote from: ffcne on October 20, 2020, 06:18:54 PM
Quote from: SP on October 20, 2020, 05:30:56 PM

yes another Ref who is against us Mr Tranmere Mike Dean.

Who knows, that could've been a sliding doors moment for Schurrle, he could now be a Fulham legend!

Milo

Sadly it only takes one or two chances against our defence for them to score and they'll close ranks.