more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Palace

Started by terryr, October 20, 2020, 08:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim©

Quote from: Milo on October 20, 2020, 10:47:40 PM
Sadly it only takes one or two chances against our defence for them to score and they'll close ranks.

Not actually true as you probably know anyway.
We concede a goal every 4.92 shots, with only four teams conceding with less shots (Brighton, Liverpool and Burnley). However, we're giving up the 3rd most shots on target per game- 5.8.
Villa are living a charmed life at the moment, conceding a goal every 22.5 shots or every 8.5 shots on target.

Going forward we've had the 11th most shots on target and 8th most shots. However our conversion rate is second worst in the division- a goal every 4.75 shots on target. Palace (unfortunately) score with every 1.67 shots on target (but have only managed half the shots and half the shots on target of ours).

I started looking at this data a few years ago and it tends to be very precise (for example it got the top 4 correct in the Championship last season). early data seems to show that Newcastle and Palace will struggle more than they seem to be at this moment.

FFC1987

" I reckon we'll thrash them 1-0 despite 28% possession"

This made me chuckle!

WindyCity

Quote from: bencher on October 20, 2020, 08:50:14 AM
It will be a tough game. I had high hopes for our first game 2 seasons ago at home to CP. They basically schooled us in the art of soaking up pressure/possession and scoring out of nothing. I should have realised then that it would be a long hard season. I hope we have grown up a bit since then and can use our qualities (we do have some!) to get 3 points.

Yep, I remember that game well.  I also had high hopes, kicking off a new season in the prem, playing next door rival against which we should have been able to compete, at the Cottage no less.  Very disappointing result and harbinger of things to come......

WindyCity

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 20, 2020, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: gang on October 20, 2020, 10:29:39 AM
I don't know Bencher, it was boring and predictable when he was here; my wife's question when I came home was always "0-0 again?"

Getting to the Europa League final was pretty interesting. I do miss boring midtable finishes compared to now guessing whether we will lose by 5 or by 6! Not meant as a dig, your opinion is just as valid as mine, but I think 'boring' in the capacity you described is the best a club like ours can aspire to without serious serious investment.

Funny, I see this comment "boring" oft used in this forum.  In my world, when you take three points in any match, I find it difficult to ever ascribe the overall match played as boring.  Sure, there may have been some spots that look tedious, but in the end good plays had to have been made to score and prevent.  Generally speaking of course.....

Jim©

Quote from: WindyCity on October 21, 2020, 03:05:17 PM

Funny, I see this comment "boring" oft used in this forum.  In my world, when you take three points in any match, I find it difficult to ever ascribe the overall match played as boring.  Sure, there may have been some spots that look tedious, but in the end good plays had to have been made to score and prevent.  Generally speaking of course.....

I think the drab away form was certainly boring. We rarely went after teams at all  and relied on them giving us results rather than really earning them ourselves. It's what made the europa season (and the 7th finish) so astonishing really

WindyCity

Quote from: Jim© on October 21, 2020, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on October 21, 2020, 03:05:17 PM

I think the drab away form was certainly boring. We rarely went after teams at all  and relied on them giving us results rather than really earning them ourselves. It's what made the europa season (and the 7th finish) so astonishing really

Yeah, but I was talking about 'boring' in a much broader sense, not necessarily attached to a given season.  I see it used all the time in this forum.  Just sayin'......

COYW!

NJFulham

Quote from: WindyCity on October 21, 2020, 02:57:21 PM
It will be a tough game. I had high hopes for our first game 2 seasons ago at home to CP. They basically schooled us in the art of soaking up pressure/possession and scoring out of nothing. I should have realised then that it would be a long hard season. I hope we have grown up a bit since then and can use our qualities (we do have some!) to get 3 points.

Yep, I remember that game well.  I also had high hopes, kicking off a new season in the prem, playing next door rival against which we should have been able to compete, at the Cottage no less.  Very disappointing result and harbinger of things to come......
Schurrle had a penalty that Mike Dean was right in front of and didn't give it. Set the tone.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

fulhamben

this has to be the greatest comment from any team ive ever seen :)
" That was back in the day when we played football. Now we train all week without the ball in preparation for the weekend."
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

Quote from: NJFulham on October 22, 2020, 02:51:42 PM

Schurrle had a penalty that Mike Dean was right in front of and didn't give it. Set the tone.

I was there, and there was little between the  two tems, but they scored and we didn't, and we were denied a pen too.
If my memory is right our next game  was spurs away, and  I think we levelled with them in the first half, through mitro, andlooked threatening as if  we might get another, for a short time, but of course,  they scored, through Kane i think,  and then  it was  all over  really.

Again at Brighton, we should have won, but it was mitro , i think, who gave away a pen, and  they  scored and we only got a point, though we thrashed them at home.

But then confidence seemed to go, and our defence  was often punished  for mistakes it had got away with in the Ch., after what had seemed a promising start - apart from the actual results!

NJFulham

Quote from: RaySmith on October 22, 2020, 03:08:20 PM
Quote from: NJFulham on October 22, 2020, 02:51:42 PM

I was there, and there was little between the  two tems, but they scored and we didn't, and we were denied a pen too.
If my memory is right our next game  was spurs away, and  I think we levelled with them in the first half, through mitro, andlooked threatening as if  we might get another, for a short time, but of course,  they scored, through Kane i think,  and then  it was  all over  really.

Again at Brighton, we should have won, but it was mitro , i think, who gave away a pen, and  they  scored and we only got a point, though we thrashed them at home.

But then confidence seemed to go, and our defence  was often punished  for mistakes it had got away with in the Ch., after what had seemed a promising start - apart from the actual results!
Lucas Moura and Trippier scored. We all questioned Fabri's positioning on Trippier's freekick.

SP

Quite right about Fabri's positioning, I think Trippier had scored an identical free kick for England the week before.