watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

European league on the horizon.

Started by sarnian, October 20, 2020, 03:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarnian

Liverpool and Man Utd now trying to form a European league after seeing their greedy premiership takeover being thrown out. Said for the last 5 years this would happen.

Hope they b**** off and leave the rest of us to enjoy a proper competitive league with no VAR

KingofCheese

Pure greed and will make these "big" clubs even further ahead of the rest of the teams and turning competitions into the Scottish Premier league. I think they should be booted out of the domestic leagues and see what happens to them. Can't see fans having the dosh to travel around Europe each week.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Also its no Surprise that that "corrupt" organisation FIFA is involved - you know the one with Sepp Blatter giving the world cup to a country that uses slave labour to build stadiums and that has temps of over 40c in the summer causing the comp to be moved. It is also the organisation who blocked Durban's airport with their private jets and ended in real fans of the countries involved missing the game during the world cup.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Happy to report the fans of Man Utd and Liverpool aren't keen on it either:

"This is what happens when people don't understand their customers.

It reminds me of when Warner Bros decided to make Batman vs Superman. The thinking was clearly: 'People like Batman, people like Superman. Lets put them together it'll make a lot of money!' Only it didn't make a lot of money because the fans of those characters didn't feel the film made much sense.

The people who own the top clubs don't like football. So they don't understand how European competition is seen as an affirmation of status because its earned. Its a nod to a club's status because you work to get your seat at the table, its not handed to you. Its the result of something, not a glorified friendly competition. This tournament will never rival the Champions League because it doesn't prove anything other than you had a big enough brand to get invited when it started."
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

SuffolkWhite

Let them get on with it, prefer the Championship anyway, and if the Prem was more like the champ all the better.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Wingnut

It'd probably be fantastic from our perspective. The PL would be more like the Championship. I want to see our club play in the top division but the corporate nature of the PL drives me mad.

Quote from: KingofCheese on October 20, 2020, 03:41:27 PM
Can't see fans having the dosh to travel around Europe each week.

Or the world. This will be the ultimate global league. Liverpool, for example, will end up playing in Dubai one week, New York the next, Sydney the week after and so on. The owners will be more than happy with this arrangement because it'll be a one-off event for a huge majority of the fans and they'll be willing to spend far more on merchandise, match tickets etc, than a fan who goes to Anfield week in, week out. 
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

bog

I have been expecting this for the last few years. The Champion's League is now not generating enough revenue for the suits. All they want is money. Well the greedy sods can bugger off to their closed shop promised land set up and we will get on with proper football.  :031: :031:

092.gif   

FulhamStu

It will become more and more a tv sport, as American sports are designed to be.  VAR will allow commercial breaks mid game etc etc etc.

Holders

This explains why they so readily climbed down from the last proposal. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a softener for this all along.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Big T

The final nail in the coffin of football as we know it

World Cup in Qatar
The introduction of VAR
The Superleague

rebel

It won't happen, for other reasons beside football.

Bill2

Quote from: Wingnut on October 20, 2020, 04:10:36 PM
It'd probably be fantastic from our perspective. The PL would be more like the Championship. I want to see our club play in the top division but the corporate nature of the PL drives me mad.

Or the world. This will be the ultimate global league. Liverpool, for example, will end up playing in Dubai one week, New York the next, Sydney the week after and so on. The owners will be more than happy with this arrangement because it'll be a one-off event for a huge majority of the fans and they'll be willing to spend far more on merchandise, match tickets etc, than a fan who goes to Anfield week in, week out. 
But who will they play in Dubai or USA, they don't have a team good enough to compete against the european big guns. Let's be fair we have about 4 teams Spain has 2 and maybe a further one to make up the numbers. Are some of the make weight teams happy to go on to a period of mediocrity or stay in their national leagues and potentially be top of the table.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Bill2 on October 20, 2020, 05:02:20 PM

But who will they play in Dubai or USA, they don't have a team good enough to compete against the european big guns. Let's be fair we have about 4 teams Spain has 2 and maybe a further one to make up the numbers. Are some of the make weight teams happy to go on to a period of mediocrity or stay in their national leagues and potentially be top of the table.

There will be two tiers of teams in this league, the original greedy suit teams and then a second lesser bunch of suit teams like Rapid Vienna and maybe a couple of made up teams to represent other countries - like the Big Bash in Cricket. Atmosphere will be zero and the game just full of adverts. As others say at least we can get on with football.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Lighthouse

Quote from: KingofCheese on October 20, 2020, 03:52:03 PM

It reminds me of when Warner Bros decided to make Batman vs Superman. The thinking was clearly: 'People like Batman, people like Superman. Lets put them together it'll make a lot of money!' Only it didn't make a lot of money because the fans of those characters didn't feel the film made much sense.

The people who own the top clubs don't like football. So they don't understand how European competition is seen as an affirmation of status because its earned. Its a nod to a club's status because you work to get your seat at the table, its not handed to you. Its the result of something, not a glorified friendly competition. This tournament will never rival the Champions League because it doesn't prove anything other than you had a big enough brand to get invited when it started."

Batman v Superman has a long tradition in the comic books so they were really just following the legend. I think they did a good job but sadly it was poorly received. The United and Liverpool European football has also been rumbling for some time. Both clubs know that they can make money without the same level of competition they have to face week in week out. The top clubs can also probably compete in multiple leagues anyway. But by moving away from their home grown support and alienating the domestic league they will have to weigh up the long term financial advantages. But as we have seen with the change in the rules and VAR. The game is not the same animal anymore and slowly but surely the game itself is alienating supporters.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

KingofCheese

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 20, 2020, 05:13:45 PM
Quote from: KingofCheese on October 20, 2020, 03:52:03 PM

Batman v Superman has a long tradition in the comic books so they were really just following the legend. I think they did a good job but sadly it was poorly received. The United and Liverpool European football has also been rumbling for some time. Both clubs know that they can make money without the same level of competition they have to face week in week out. The top clubs can also probably compete in multiple leagues anyway. But by moving away from their home grown support and alienating the domestic league they will have to weigh up the long term financial advantages. But as we have seen with the change in the rules and VAR. The game is not the same animal anymore and slowly but surely the game itself is alienating supporters.

Batman v Superman just seemed to be loads of crashing through buildings..I found it dull..The Watchmen on the other hand...
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: Bill2 on October 20, 2020, 05:02:20 PM

Football is being run like the big breweries ...buy up all the local brands and replace them with tasteless fizzy rubbish - but they found out that drinkers prefer taste rather than low quality at cheap prices.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

fcfulham55

I for one won't be watching any of this super league, so that's 1 less viewing figure lol.  Money money money.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: fcfulham55 on October 20, 2020, 05:37:41 PM
I for one won't be watching any of this super league, so that's 1 less viewing figure lol.  Money money money.
That's the whole point. They don't want your money or any other UK fan's, they want money from abroad because they know their fans will pay more.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on October 20, 2020, 05:42:46 PM
That's the whole point. They don't want your money or any other UK fan's, they want money from abroad because they know their fans will pay more.

Owners like the Glazers are just pirates like those asset strippers that destroyed great old companies.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Penfold

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on October 20, 2020, 05:42:46 PM

That's the thing isn't it? Manchester United and Liverpool are global brands. Someone mentioned beer above. They are like Yank Budweiser and Heineken. Globally known, but not pleasant.

Prefer to be a lesser known quality brand. Augustiner, Westmalle and Timmy Taylor spring to mind 🍻🍻🍻🍻