Penfold

Quote from: St Eve on October 20, 2020, 06:41:37 PM
Why would they even want an average team like United anyway

Good call. They are rank average.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Penfold on October 20, 2020, 06:33:10 PM
Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on October 20, 2020, 05:42:46 PM
Quote from: fcfulham55 on October 20, 2020, 05:37:41 PM
I for one won't be watching any of this super league, so that's 1 less viewing figure lol.  Money money money.
That's the whole point. They don't want your money or any other UK fan's, they want money from abroad because they know their fans will pay more.

That's the thing isn't it? Manchester United and Liverpool are global brands. Someone mentioned beer above. They are like Yank Budweiser and Heineken. Globally known, but not pleasant.

Prefer to be a lesser known quality brand. Augustiner, Westmalle and Timmy Taylor spring to mind 🍻🍻🍻🍻
Good to see someone appreciate Augustiner. Currently working in Munich and it's a top quality beer, not least because they sell it for a bargain 5.30€ for a Maß (2 pints) in their brewery pub.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: St Eve on October 20, 2020, 06:41:37 PM
Why would they even want an average team like United anyway
Because sadly no matter how rubbish manure are people will watch them and buy their merchandise in their droves, it's that much of a brand.

Cornishnick

Let the greedy b's go off and play in someone else's park. If we combined the remainder of the prem and the champo, then split them into 2 leagues, we'd have something quite competitive and enjoyable. I've had a great idea to market it too, we call them Division1,2,3 and 4.   Sorted!!  :005:

jarv

I think we are all in agreement here, let them sod off. Championship football is real football, not the tippy tappy stuff. Cant remember the last time I watched and enjoyed a Euro game that was interesting.

Liverpool fans will miss the derby games, most likely trips to Leeds, Newcastle, Arsenal, Filham etc also.
Manu....who cares?

Somerset Fulham

I'm not against this idea, funnily.  Let these vile clubs naff off into the sunset, and ensure that if they ever want to come back with their tails between their legs then they have to start down where Wimbledon did.

That would leave a properly competitive division where almost anybody could win it from year to year. Sure the quality would drop, but the ceiling for everybody would rise.

gerrys

Quote from: sarnian on October 20, 2020, 03:39:00 PM
Liverpool and Man Utd now trying to form a European league after seeing their greedy premiership takeover being thrown out. Said for the last 5 years this would happen.

Hope they b**** off and leave the rest of us to enjoy a proper competitive league with no VAR
So what happened to Brexit then     064.gif

Tempest

Fulham vs Barca, Madrid, Boca Juniors, Santos etc now if we were involved in a Euro or world super league,  I'd be up for that.

I loved watching us with 2500 people in the cottage v Doncaster 40 years ago but the game then is no the game now or in the future.

If we were competitive then I'd definitely want to see us in this type of competition.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Statto

Am I right in thinking that this competition would replace the Champions' League, Europa League and Club World Cup, but not the PL? So the clubs involved would still have their PL commitments, but this would just be an ancillary competition like those it's replacing.

If that;'s the case then a lot of the comments above seem a bit misguided.

I was against Project Big Picture because it was a naked power grab exploiting the pandemic, but I can't see any fundamental reason to object to this.

If they want to consolidate the competitions mentioned above, restructure them as a league rather than knockout competition, and perhaps increase the number of fixtures slightly, why is that such a big deal? 

Are people just reading a headline mentioning pantomime villains like FIFA, the Glazers and JP Morgan and moaning "greeeeeeed" purely out of habit?

sarnian

Quote from: Statto on October 20, 2020, 09:41:08 PM
Am I right in thinking that this competition would replace the Champions' League, Europa League and Club World Cup, but not the PL? So the clubs involved would still have their PL commitments, but this would just be an ancillary competition like those it's replacing.

I was against Project Big Picture because it was a naked power grab exploiting the pandemic, but I can't see any fundamental reason to object to this.

If they want to consolidate the competitions mentioned above, restructure them as a league rather than knockout competition, and perhaps increase the number of fixtures slightly, why is that such a big deal? 

Are people just reading a headline mentioning pantomime villains like FIFA, the Glazers and JP Morgan and moaning "greeeeeeed" purely out of habit?

They are talking about an 18 team league which means 34 matches travelling across Europe each week. There is no way they can fit in 38 premiership games.

Good riddance I say.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Statto on October 20, 2020, 09:41:08 PM

You're right in saying that it wouldn't initially change the major european leagues per se but I think even then it's a step in the wrong direction because it's granting the richest clubs special status to compete in a competition that others can no longer compete in. It would mean that clubs such as Leicester, Atalanta and even Ajax among others who have been in and have progressed as far as the quarter finals (and further in Ajax's case) in the Champions League in the last 5 years would no longer be able to test themselves at the height of European football, they can no longer have aspirations. Even if the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga etc. would still be the same in terms of how they function intrinsically an element of excitement is lost in that there's no longer a top 4 contest because we know before a ball is kicked who's going to be playing in Europe.

In a way it's actually similar to Project Big Picture in that the big clubs still get their extra powers and special statuses, just instead of it being within an English context it's within a European context. And just because initially the European Premier League wouldn't be a total breakaway doesn't mean that it wouldn't be at some point in the future. If all the TV subscribers pay to watch the Euro prem and not the English prem then they'll just expand the Euro prem into a full on league so they can ensure they get the most matches and thus the most money out of it.

Andy S

There will probably be no relegation. It will be so boring to watch. In a few years time they will be begging to be readmitted. They can go into the lowest league and work their way up again. The fans will only be able to watch home matches and be expected to watch away matches by paying extortionate fees in soulless grounds in front of their own supporters with no atmosphere