Fulham
2-0
West Brom
Leeds
1-4
Leicester

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 West Bromwich Albion

Bobby Decordova-Reid's goal was his third in six games after he also scored in the 4-3 loss to Leeds and the 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in the third round of the Carabao Cup

Fulham secured their first Premier League win of the season as they beat West Brom to move out of the bottom three.

Bobby Decordova-Reid headed Scott Parker's side ahead from close range after Aleksandar Mitrovic's cushioned header had set him up.

The hosts doubled their lead four minutes later and Mitrovic was again involved as he laid the ball off for Ola Aina, who struck spectacularly from 20 yards out.

The Cottagers came close to scoring a third but both Tom Cairney and Decordova-Reid had efforts cleared off the goalline within seconds of each other.

West Brom hit the crossbar through Conor Townsend's misjudged cross when it was goalless, but Slaven Bilic's side remain without a league win in 2020-21 and replace Fulham in the relegation

No Fulham apology needed this time
This match was between two of the sides who had earned promotion from the Championship in 2019-20, West Brom coming second behind champions Leeds, before Fulham beat west London rivals Brentford in the Wembley play-off final.

But both have found life at the top level much tougher, with Fulham only picking up one point from their opening six games, while West Brom had drawn three and lost three.

The visitors almost took a fortunate third-minute lead when Townsend's cross nearly caught out home goalkeeper Alphonse Areola but bounced off the woodwork. However, the hosts then became the better side with the lively Ademola Lookman shooting wide from 20 yards out.

Fulham's opening goal came in the 26th minute as Antonee Robinson's left-wing cross was headed back into the danger zone by the impressive Mitrovic and Decordova-Reid converted for his third goal of the season in all competitions.

It only took the home side four minutes to move 2-0 in front. Aina started the move on the right flank, he linked up with Cordova-Reid and played the ball into the feet of Mitrovic, who, with his back to goal, laid the ball back into Aina's path and he struck a beautiful effort into the top corner for a spectacular first Premier League goal.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa could have even made it 3-0 before the break as he collected the ball following a fine run from captain Cairney but could only shoot at West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.

Fulham had been on a run of four away matches since losing 3-0 at home to Aston Villa, after which co-owner Tony Khan apologised to the club's fans, but their supporters would have been much happier after this showing.

West Brom need to quickly improve
West Brom boss Bilic would have targeted this match as one where three points were possible, but, despite having more possession, will be frustrated with the performance of his players.

The Baggies have now conceded a league-high 16 goals and it was poor marking for Fulham's first as Mitrovic then Decordova-Reid were able to head the ball unchallenged, although West Brom could have done little about Aina's strike for 2-0.

Karlan Grant should have pulled a goal back at the end of the first half, shooting wide from the edge of the penalty area, as the Baggies went the opening 45 minutes without a shot on target.

Bilic brought on Romaine Sawyers, Callum Robinson and Matt Phillips, with captain Jake Livermore one of those replaced, in an attempt to change the game in the second half, but they were unable to make a difference and it was a comfortable night for Areola in the home goal.

This is West Brom's first season in the top flight since 2017-18, but Bilic will be looking for an instant improvement all over the field if they are to avoid being in a relegation battle for the rest of this campaign.

Man of the match - Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham)

The hard-working centre forward did not get on the scoresheet, but did create both goals - the first time he had registered two assists in an English league game

West Brom's worst start in 35 years - the stats
    Fulham are unbeaten in their last 10 league meetings with West Brom (won four, drew six) since a 2-1 loss in the Premier League in October 2010.
    West Brom have not won away at Fulham in the league since October 1967 (2-1), drawing seven and losing 10 of their 17 visits since then.
    Fulham have picked up their first victory and clean sheet in the Premier League since April 2019 against Cardiff (1-0), ending their eight-game winless run in the top flight.
    With just three points from their opening seven Premier League games this season (drew three, lost four), West Brom have made their worst start to a league campaign since 1985-86 (one point), failing to win any of their opening seven games for the first time since 2004-05.
    On his 50th league appearance for Fulham (including play-offs), Bobby Decordova-Reid netted Fulham's opener - he has scored two goals in his last five league games for the Cottagers, as many as in his previous 25.
    Fulham's Ola Aina netted his first ever goal in English League football in what was his 51st appearance across spells with Chelsea, Hull and Fulham.
    Aleksandar Mitrovic has been directly involved in 57% of Fulham's Premier League goals this season (four of seven - two goals, two assists).

'The work rate was nowhere near good enough' - what they said

Fulham manager Scott Parker: "Of course there is relief because we had not won a game. We have won but along the journey there are going to be many bumps.

"There has been a narrative around us because of the money we spent last time. But there has been a single-mindedness about us this season. Defeats are going to happen but they can't bury us.

"The noise surrounds everyone in this league. My message is very different: Try not to let the noise reach the players. Wins breed a bit of confidence - you need wins to get that uplift.

"We definitely got what we deserved. We are definitely maturing and definitely improving. We got a result and it is brilliant but we have to keep moving forward."

Fulham's Ola Aina told Sky Sports: "I'm happy to score my first Premier League goal. It was vital and I'm just happy I was able to help the team to get a lead that we could build on and try to be comfortable.

"It was a very important win for the club. It has been a difficult start to the season. We needed this to build momentum and I'm hoping that's what we can do going on."

West Brom boss Slaven Bilic told BBC Sport: "The lads have been good in training but we only played for 25 minutes.

"They were better than us in everything, one v one, two v two, passing the ball, aggression and commitment, everything really and I'm extremely disappointed - we can't play like this.

"We have to be what we were in the last couple of games. You lose a bit of commitment when you see that the opponent is stronger than you. They were better and I'm really disappointed.

"We need to be much better in everything. It all starts with the work-rate, it was nowhere near good enough. We didn't hurt them enough, it was very slow, waiting for something to happen, that's why we couldn't do anything.

"It's worrying - not the points or position, but the performance. Everything starts with the work rate, commitment, dedication and we simply didn't match them and have to work much, much harder.

"We don't have the most quality. If we work harder, we will have a chance in many games."

What's next?

Fulham have a London derby at West Ham on Saturday, 7 November (20:00 GMT), before West Brom play Tottenham at home the following day (12:00 GMT).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54687123

WhiteJC

Parker's Post-West Brom press conference

Scott Parker was understandably a figure of relief and elation after his side secured their first Premier League win of the season.

A composed Parker took to the media to give his views on a comfortable victory.

"Overall, an all-round very good performance," he started. "The result was everything and we all realised that. Performance-wise we've been progressing in the right direction. We had a real endeavour about us and showed our quality and well worthy of the two goals. I was pleased with how we managed the game in the second half against a team we knew would come out and put us under pressure."

The Head Coach knows the road won't be straight and narrow this season, but he knew his side's quality shone against the Baggies.

"I've been level this season and I've tried to relay that to the team," he continued. "We understand where we are and how our season will look. We are going to have a lot of bumps and I'm not afraid to say that. There is a bit of relief, we want to win football matches. I've got a very good team here and we know this will be difficult. They come in Monday morning and they're the first to put their hand up and understand we need to improve. Tonight, I was seeing that."

The win moves Fulham out of the relegation zone, which Parker remained unfazed by in the grand scheme of the season.

"Our position right now is irrelevant," he stated. "What is relevant is the team moving in the right direction, improving and moving forward. I've seen that in the previous weeks. The table is irrelevant right now, we'll see where we are come the end."

Ola Aina's scorcher lit up the Cottage, and the 40-year-old attributed that to taking a few more risks.

"It was a great strike. We might have to take risks. We're going to have to take risks in or around the box and Ola did that and it's flown into the top corner. Anyone watching us with an open mind will see we have a bit of quality. We had some lovely bits in both halves."

Parker was pressed to single out an individual performance. A task he couldn't commit to.

"I was pleased with Frank [Anguissa]. I'm conscious of singling players out, but to a man, we were top drawer. I've spoken to Frank and he's understanding his qualities, but you can't single out one player tonight.

"It was solid at the back, but as a team we worked hard. I remember them having one shot on target, so we were solid in that instance. It's something we can build on.

"Joachim hasn't had a lot of time to settle. He's been around it for a while though and he's been part of meetings. He'll be a big plus for us.

"I thought Tom [Cairney] was top today. We realise the quality he has. He makes you feel safe when he's on the ball. He was constantly taking the game to West Brom, that's something that needs to stay.

"Ruben is fine. He's been out for a long time. I felt Bobby [De Cordova-Reid] was the one to go with tonight and he will help us moving forward no doubt, he'll play his part. Mario [Lemina] felt his hamstring a little bit in the first half and I didn't want to take any risks. We'll have to see where he is in the morning."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/november/Parker-s-Post-West-Brom-press conference/

WhiteJC

Said Benrahma reacts to West Ham debut cameo and targets first start against Fulham

The Algerian winger was not given much time to make an impact when he came off the bench in the defeat at Anfield

Said Benrahma made his West Ham debut during the Hammers' 2-1 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday evening and is targeting his first start this weekend against Fulham.

The Algerian was thrown on in the 88th minute at Anfield along with Manuel Lanzini as David Moyes' side had fallen behind to Diogo Jota's strike, being pegged back thanks to Mo Salah's penalty five minutes before halftime.

The loan signing from Brentford only managed to touch the ball four times during his very short stay on the pitch as West Ham's four-game unbeaten run came to an end at the home of the champions.

Benrahma had to wait for his first appearance as David Moyes didn't select him for the squad for the 1-1 draw against Manchester City in the previous game but the winger will now be targeting a first Premier League start against Scott Parker's strugglers this weekend.

Writing on Instagram, Benrahma said: "I'm glad I got the opportunity to play my first minutes with West Ham, but disappointed by the result.

"I'm sure we'll be back stronger next week against Fulham."

After Sebastien Haller's somewhat lacklustre return to the Premier League starting lineup where he failed to get a shot on goal, Moyes may be tempted to shuffle the pack to face Fulham, who have yet to win this season, at London Stadium.

In the absence of Michail Antonio through injury, West Ham have lost a huge focal point of their team and the goalscoring threat of Antonio as well, who has netted three times so far this season before sustaining a hamstring problem against Manchester City.

After a brutal run of fixtures, West Ham face a bottom half team this weekend for just the second time so far this season as former Hammer Scott Parker brings his Fulham side across the capital to east London for an 8pm kick off in Stratford.

Benrahma's teammate Tomas Soucek, who has played every minute of the 2020/21 campaign so far, is anticipating a very different match when Fulham arrive.

"It will be a different challenge from the last four games for us now," the Czech midfielder said.

"We've been playing teams from the top six recently and now we want to keep more of the ball and create more chances."

The game against Fulham will be broadcast live on BT Sports Box Office, with fans of both sides having to pay £14.95 for the privilege of watching the game on TV.

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/said-benrahma-reacts-west-ham-19205991

WhiteJC

David Moyes could make controversial West Ham team selection decision for Fulham - insider

David Moyes could drop Sebastien Haller and start Andriy Yarmolenko up front against Fulham in the continued absence of Michail Antonio.

West Ham could sell player who divides opinion in January if valuation is met – insider

That's according to West Ham insiders Claret & Hugh.

Rarely has a player polarised opinion among West Ham fans quite as much as Haller.

Doubters feel the £45million Frenchman is lazy and doesn't want to be at West Ham given his body language and lack of effort.

But some fans are quick to point out Haller played in a completely different system at his previous clubs which got the best out of his abilities. In many ways both arguments have legitimacy and flaws.

Haller polarises opinion at West Ham

It doesn't help that fans have Michail Antonio as a yardstick to measure effort and workrate.

West Ham's number one striker is injured until the end of the month. Haller could certainly work harder in the lone striker role.

Jamie Carragher brutally pointed that out on several occasions in commentary during West Ham's defeat at Anfield.

But what was also abundantly clear from that game is that West Ham do not play to the striker's strengths.

Haller was substituted for winger Yarmolenko at Anfield.

Insiders claim Moyes could consider dropping Frenchman for Yarmo

And now Claret & Hugh claims Moyes could consider dropping Haller for the visit of lowly Fulham on Saturday and replacing him with Yarmolenko from the start.

"Seb Haller may be handed another chance in the central striking role although Moyes is bound to consider starting Andriy Yarmolenko who showed far more energy than the Frenchman when he arrived as a sub at the weekend," Claret & Hugh report.

It would be a highly controversial decision if Moyes were to drop Haller and one that would split the fanbase down the middle.

Yarmolenko was praised by Carragher and some West Ham fans for showing more effort than Haller during his short time on the pitch.

But the Ukraine winger also gave the ball away in his own half as Liverpool scored the winner on 85 minutes.

Whatever your opinion on Haller, it would be harsh if he was dropped for a game against a team West Ham are expected to take the game to.

A hugely controversial and harsh decision

Against Liverpool West Ham defended in large numbers throughout. That meant Haller was denied support for much of the game.

Moyes admitted after the match that it was always going to be tough for whoever played up front for West Ham at Liverpool.

But he also called on Haller to improve his performance levels (Football.London).

Regardless of where you stand in the Haller debate, much of the blame for West Ham's situation comes down to owners David Sullivan and David Gold.

West Ham have just two recognised strikers in their squad in Haller and Antonio.

The Hammers were linked with Josh King in the window but failed to push through a move despite Antonio's history of hamstring injuries.

West Ham are already regretting not bringing in King who would have made an ideal partner for Haller or Antonio or indeed replacement when needed.

https://www.hammers.news/tactics/david-moyes-could-make-controversial-west-ham-team-selection-decision-for-fulham-insider/

WhiteJC

Ola Aina ends five-year Premier League wait with West Brom beauty

The 24-year-old wing-back has ended his wait for an English top-flight goal in Fulham's game against the Baggies on Monday evening

Fulham's Ola Aina scored his first Premier League goal with a beauty in Monday's Premier League clash against West Bromwich Albion, in the process ending his wait to find the back of the net for the Cottagers.

Jamaica's Bobby Decordova-Reid had given Scott Parker's men the lead after 26 minutes thanks to an assist from Aleksandar Mitrovic, and the Nigeria international doubled the advantage at Craven Cottage with a breathtaking effort.

The wing-back had some great exchanges with Mitrovic and Decordova-Reid, allowed some space outside the area, before unleashing a thunderbolt into the top left corner from the edge of the area, which was unstoppable by goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.

In the interesting first half, Slaven Bilic's men took a two-goal deficit into half-time and they would have themselves to blame for not taking their chances.

Having been promoted to Chelsea first-team in 2015, the 24-year-old, who was part of the Blues' three FA Youth Cup-winning sides and Uefa Youth League triumph, was loaned to Hull City after failing to get regular action at Stamford Bridge.

He made just three substitute appearances in the Premier League, one in the FA Cup and two starts in the English Football League Cup for the Blues.

After completing his spell with the Tigers, he was shipped to Serie A outfit Torino for another loan stint. His move was made permanent in a deal worth £8.9m (€10m) after he impressed during his one-year stay in Italy – making 32 appearances and scoring once.

In the 2019-20 season, he accounted for 37 appearances for the Bull, which included 32 matches in Serie A. However, he returned to England to join Fulham a day before their Premier League opening fixture against Arsenal.

Should Parker's team seal the win against Semi Ajayi's Baggies, that will be their maiden win in the 2020-21 campaign after a stuttering start.

Aina is part of Gernot Rohr's Super Eagles to face Sierra Leone in this month's double-header Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in Benin City and Freetown.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/ola-aina-ends-five-year-premier-league-wait-with-west-brom/1bu1m9j5ty9631lzq3u3ypxy2u

WhiteJC

Fulham beat West Brom to clinch all-important first win

Impressive Fulham finally secured their first Premier League victory of the season – and it was well deserved.

Goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina just before the half-hour mark were sufficient to see off West Brom in a contest where the Whites exuded the sort of self-belief and defensive determination that has been often lacking so far in this campaign.

Fulham head coach Scott Parker will be especially pleased with these three points against a tame Albion side, who lacked innovation and never looked like recovering at any stage of the game.

It was vital for the Whites – seeking that elusive win – that they got off to at least a solid start.

But fellow strugglers Albion, also winless, nearly carved out an early goal when Conor Townsend's looping cross came off the bar.

Eventually, Fulham began to enjoy possession with Ademola Lookman lively on the left-hand side.

And it was the winger who created the opening goal in 25 minutes.

From his left-wing cross, Aleksandar Mitrovic was unmarked and able to direct a headed assist for Decordova-Reid to easily nod home from three yards.

The Whites' confidence and aggression was now obvious – and just four minutes later they doubled their lead with a superb effort.

Following some great work by both Decordova-Reid and Mitrovic in the final third, the ball was perfectly placed for Aina to take aim and fire past Albion keeper Sam Johnstone from 20 yards.

Both goals undoubtedly signalled major relief for Parker, witnessing Fulham's best opening half of football since promotion.

Searching for a third, Andre Anguissa tried his luck from distance, bringing out a smart save from Johnstone as the Whites ended the first period full of vigour.

Unlike their previous Premier League outings where defensive frailties were ruthlessly exposed by Arsenal, Aston Villa and Crystal Palace, Fulham were organised and restricted Albion's attempts to claw their way back into proceedings as the second half wore on.

Debutant Joachim Andersen was particularly impressive in this respect, while captain Tom Cairney became more influential going forward.

Perhaps satisfied with their two-goal lead, dominant Fulham didn't create many clear cut chances, although Decordova-Reid saw an effort cannon off Semi Ajayi on the goal line with 19 minutes left, amid home claims for handball, which were dismissed.

It was to prove the last significant act of the evening. Fulham now travel across London to face West Ham on Saturday, in what will surely be a more optimistic mood throughout Parker's reshaped squad.

Fulham: Areola, Robinson, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Aina, Cairney, Lemina (Reed 46), Anguissa, Lookman (Bryan 90), Mitrovic, Reid (Cavaleiro 84)

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-beat-west-brom-to-clinch-all-important-first-win

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 West Brom: Scott Parker seals first Premier League win of the season

Goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina sealed a key victory at Craven Cottage

Pool via REUTERS

Fulham sealed their first Premier League win of the season as goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina earned a 2-0 victory over West Brom at Craven Cottage,

Scott Parker's hosts took a well-deserved lead in the 26th minute through Decordova-Reid.

Antonee Robinson fired in a cross from the left to an unmarked Aleksandar Mitrovic at the far post, who nodded across goal before the ball was turned in by Decordova-Reid.

Minutes later, Fulham doubled their lead through Ola Aina, who fired the ball past Sam Johnstone from the edge of the box.

West Brom had no response as Fulham won 2-0 to record a first league win of the campaign.

Bobby Decordova-ReidMore to follow.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-vs-west-brom-result-premier-league-2020-craven-cottage-b41389.html

WhiteJC

'Would be ideal': West Brom and Fulham urged to sign gifted free agent

West Bromwich Albion and Fulham should take a punt on free agent Jack Wilshere and offer him a fresh start in the Premier League, Harry Redknapp has told The Sun (1 November, page 60).

If the former Tottenham, West Ham and Bournemouth boss was still coaching at the top level, one of the most naturally gifted midfielders of his generation certainly wouldn't be unemployed heading into November.

But while Redknapp would sign Wilshere with his eyes closed, it seems the current crop of Premier League managers are a bit more wary of a man who has started just 18 top-flight games since 2017/18.

The England international had his £100,000-a-week contract at West Ham United ripped up a month ago (Goal).

According to Redknapp, however, two relegation-threatened, goal-shy sides should take a punt on a player capable of unlocking even the most tight-knit defences.

"When you've been in football as long as me, there isn't much left to shock – but seeing Jack Wilshere without a club certainly does," Redknapp says.

"Jack would be ideal for someone like Fulham or West Brom, and if you were paying him on appearances, there would be no risk. I cannot see why they haven't already done it."

Whatever the reason, Wilshere finds himself without a club at the age of 28.

West Ham took a risk on one of the game's most injury-hit players and didn't see much of a return on their investment. Wilshere missed 42 games through injury in just two years at the London Stadium.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/11/02/would-be-ideal-west-brom-and-fulham-tipped-to-sign-gifted-28-year-old/

WhiteJC

Aina blockbuster beats the Baggies

The relief around Craven Cottage was palpable. If Fulham were written off at the start of the season, plenty of pundits seized on their continued defensive vulnerability to write their Premier League obituaries. Scott Parker, lauded as one of the brightest British managers having masterminded a Championship play-off final victory over Brentford, was suddenly considered well out of his depth. The pressure, having gone six games without a win, was palpable. Beating fellow strugglers West Brom was a necessity if only to block out the noise.

Parker, an affable but quietly confident character, professed his belief in both his charges and his personal ability even after the disappointment of last week's defeat by Crystal Palace. He only made a couple of changes, introducing Joachim Andersen in central defence a couple of weeks ahead of schedule after an ankle injury, and recalling Bobby Decordova-Reid on the right flank. Fulham had to survive an early scare, when a mishit cross from Conor Townsend wrongfooted Alphonse Areola and came back off the crossbar, and intially appeared hesitant in possession, but the tigerishness of Maria Lemina, who knitted things together nicely in midfield, gradually garnered the hosts a foothold.

Ademola Lookman, a livewire from the left in his early outings since his deadline day loan move from Leipzig, provided Fulham's first threatening moments. The tricky winger drifted into dangerous spaces in front of the West Brom defence and drove a right-footed effort just wide of the far post. The Whites began to play the pretty passing football they prefer and went in front with a goal of real quality. It owed much to Andre Frank Anguissa's adventure from central midfield as he carried the ball to the edge of the box before finding Antonee Robinson in an advanced position on the left wing. The American international produced a quality cross that Aleksandar Mitrovic nodded unselfishly back across goal for Decordova-Reid to head home, despite Branislav Ivanovic's desperate efforts on the goal-line.

The goal galvanised Fulham, but even they would have been surprised at how swiftly a second one arrived. It came from an unlikely source, with Ola Aina starting and finishing a flowing move down the right, collecting a cushioned pass from Mitrovic, and rifling an unstoppable left-footed strike into the top corner from 20 yards. The former Chelsea trainee had only scored twice in 121 senior appearances before tonight – and neither were anywhere near as spectacular as that sublime finish.

West Brom did spurn a glorious opportunity to pull a goal back before the break, when Conor Gallagher pinched possession from Anguissa and played in Karlan Grant, who lacked the composure he showed against Brighton last week, lashing a rushed effort well wide of the near post when he had time to take the ball on into the penalty area. Indeed, it was Fulham who could have put the game to bed before half-time when another purposeful run from Anguissa culminated in a venomous shot that stung the palms of Sam Johnstone.

Lemina, who had screened the back four impressively, was withdrawn in favour of Harrison Reed at the start of the second half but Fulham managed their lead professionally. The Baggies' only genuine chances came courtesy of a Matheus Pereira free-kick that was smashed into the wall and when a tame Grant header from Darnell Furlong's inviting cross looped safely into Areola's arms. The hosts were comfortable enough to keep the ball, occasionally injecting pace and drive, especially in the form of a rampaging Robinson down the left flank.

Both Anguissa and Cairney, who produced an excellent display in the middle of the park, showcased some fancy footwork to fashion half chances for themselves inside the West Brom penalty area and Robinson produced another excellent cross for Mitrovic, although the Serbian couldn't quite provide a telling contact at the far post having outmuscled Semi Ajayi. Cairney almost caught Johnstone wandering into no-man's land with a delicious chip, but Townsend scrambled it off the line before Ajayi blocked Decordova-Reid's follow-up. At the other end, West Brom's night was summed up when substitute Callum Robinson spotted Areola off his line but his effort from halfway line was well off target and only just dribbled over the line for a goal-kick.

Perhaps the most pleasing element of the evening was Fulham's first league clean sheet of the season. Areola was not seriously stretched in goal and, although there will be far sterner tests ahead, the early impressions of a rejigged back four, of whom Andersen is the eldest at only 24, were positive. A relatively comfortable victory lifted the Londoners out of the relegation zone and within one win of Manchester United. That should ease the pressure on Parker for a while.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Areola; Aina, A. Robinson, Adarabioyo, Andersen; Lemina (Reed 45), Anguissa, Cairney; Decordova-Reid (Cavaleiro 84), Lookman (Bryan 90), Mitrovic. Subs (not used): Rodak, Odoi, Ream, Loftus-Cheek.

BOOKED: Decordova-Reid, Lookman, Reed.

GOALS: Decordova-Reid (26), Aina (30).

WEST BROMWICH ALBION (4-1-4-1): Johnstone; Furlong, Townsend, Ivanovic, Ajayi; Livermore (Sawyers 56); Krovinovic (Phillips 70), Gallagher, Pereira (C. Robinson 56), Diangana; Grant. Subs (not used): Button, Bartley, Gibbs, Edwards.

BOOKED: Gallagher, Sawyers.

REFEREE: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/11/aina-blockbuster-beats-the-baggies/

WhiteJC

Ola Aina's stunner gives Fulham lift-off as West Brom's search for first win goes on

Fulham 2-0 West Bromwich Albion: The hosts finally got a win and a clean sheet on the board

Ola Aina is mobbed by his teammates after a stunning strike
(Getty Images)

As wild as the start of the Premier League has been, the feeling after the weekend was that it was starting to sort itself out. But, pre-season predictions had both these sides pegged as relegation candidates and nothing in their six winless matches leading into this showdown suggested there were any corrections to be made at the foot of the table.

Similarly, the truisms of battling relegations are as they were. Beating the teams around you is a must. And as Fulham satisfied that criteria on Monday night with a comfortable 2-0 victory, their first win of the season, West Bromwich Albion still wait for theirs having spurned one of the six fixtures they need to make count without any real fight.

The match was settled in a first-half, specifically the first 30 minutes. Bobby de Cordova-Reid and Ola Aina were the scorers, both with engaging displays beyond their goals, which were the standout highlights of a gritty affair.

The last time West Brom had a start to the season this bad, with three points and four defeats in seven, was in 2004/05 when survival came through a near-miracle under Bryan Robson. Thus, casting them aside just yet feels a tad premature. But we should not be talking about divine intervention already. Slaven Bilic continued to cut a forlorn figure, not just at odds with his superiors but also those he put faith in getting something from Craven Cottage. They came away with just one shot on target, and were left 18th in the table as Fulham climbed above them.

Fulham have been a statistical conundrum this season, though not one particularly tough to decipher. They have dominated possession in four of their six matches but have been unable to do anything worthwhile with it, hence the single point. But their use of the ball on Monday night was more purposeful and incisive. The goals were the best examples of this.

Both were off the back of wonderfully elaborate moves, the kind Scott Parker's side have theoretically been capable of but never managed to put together on the pitch. The opener came about through slick moves on the ground leading to Antonee Robinson's cross from the left. Aleksandar Mitrovic met it well at the far post allowing Cordova-Reid to head firmly in on 26 minutes.

The second, just 212 seconds later, was sleeker and, arguably, one of the best from this round of games. Fulham swayed the ball from left to right with a lick of swagger, over to right-back Aina, who passed to Cordova-Reid down the line and decided to see what else lay ahead of him.

Though he did not get a direct return pass, his curiosity meant he was in the perfect position for a lay-off from Mitrovic. The former Chelsea full-back gathered his feet before striking pure and true into the far corner. All this in a first-half with just 45 per cent possession, which was also their share across the whole encounter.

It will be at the back where Parker will be most heartened. The numbers tell of the disarray in Fulham's backline: not just the 14 goals conceded but the 10 defenders and two goalkeepers used barely two months into this campaign. There has been a lack of coherence of system and personnel.

But there were promising signs from the centre-back pairing of debutant Joachim Andersen, on loan from Lyon,  and another recent-signing Tosin Adarabioyo making his third appearance. No doubt buoyed by the greater proficiency from the white shirts in front of them, and the limited threat posed by those in yellow and red,

There could, and perhaps should, have been a third for Fulham with 10 minutes to go, when Tom Cairney's dink over goalkeeper Sam Johnstone was kept out by Conor Townsend and then by Semi Ajayi when Decordova-Reid smashed a left-footed effort straight at the defender from eight yards.

Nevertheless, the hosts wrapped up the points the hard way, hassling West Brom at every turn, starting with Mitrovic from the front who began celebrating throw-ins won deep in opposition territory. From moments like that it was clear the "nil" matter more than the "two".

We will find out how much of this is sustainable, with Fulham coming up against West Ham, Everton and Manchester City in their next three fixtures. Parker may know what this league is about as a player, but this was only his fourth win in 17 attempts as a manager and the one he can certainly learn most from given the other three came when Fulham were all-but doomed in their 2018/19 relegation. 

That, though, is a consideration for the near future. For now, a manager who looks like he carries all his team's woes on his shoulders can sleep a little easier. Having got Fulham's worst Premier League start out of the way in the opening six, this was the first match of what the club hope will be a longer run to guarantee their future in it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-vs-west-brom-result-score-aina-goal-report-b1540156.html

WhiteJC

Fulham show 'clear identity' against inconspicuous West Brom

This was indeed a "massive" 2-0 win for Fulham. They looked very good, but West Brom really were awful.

"(In terms of) the positives, I see a clear identity about my team," Scott Parker said after the 1-1 draw with Sheffield United. "I think the first six games, there's been a lot of bright things, there's been a lot of good things, a lot of things that I've been really impressed with."

The party line was the same a week later. "I constantly see improvements," Parker parroted. "There were a lot of good things against Crystal Palace that I see and that I have seen in games, some real positives."

"Scoring first is key," Parker added. Fulham did just that on Monday, the "identity" was clear and the "real positives" – this time – resulted in a crucial 2-0 win. It wasn't quite the error-free football Parker has been prescribing – they were playing a Championship-standard team unable to punish mistakes they did make – but it was a win to take the sting out of Premier League life.

Fulham scored two very good goals. The first: a flowing team move through the pitch featuring a lovely clipped cross from Antonee Robinson, a smart cushioned header from Aleksandar Mitrovic, finished off by Bobby Decordova-Reid. The second: A stunning strike from 20 yards from Ola Aina after further link-up between Decordova-Reid and Mitrovic.

They were goals that illustrated the "identity" Parker refers to. Energy and quality in wide areas, improved through the acquisitions of Aina, Robinson and Kenny Tete – who has impressed since his move from Lyon but missed out through injury – providing enough for their Premier League quality striker to score the goals to keep them up, or – on this occasion – the touches of class to set up his teammates.

Fulham's defence too, looks a lot better. Loan signing Joachim Andersen was solid on debut: progressive in his passing; calm in possession. Alongside former Man City man Tosin Adarabioyo they limited West Brom to very little.

That said, they weren't tested. The Baggies' style and game plan is comparably inconspicuous. Their two true creative talents – Matheus Pereira and Grady Diangana – were atypically lax in possession and worryingly uninterested out of it. Karlan Grant got very little service and lost the ball when he did. Jake Livermore looks as cumbersome and sterile as when West Brom were last relegated from the Premier League.

Parker described this game as "massive" for Fulham, aware that defeat would be a crushing psychological blow. Lose to West Brom at home and talk of lowest points totals and Premier League unworthiness would have been rife.

This win by no means puts Fulham doubts aside. There were occasions when sloppiness and dawdling on the ball could and probably would have been punished by a superior team. And because it was only West Brom – a particularly poor iteration at that – on the surface this could be little more than one piece of relegation fodder slightly bettering another.

But Fulham weren't slightly better: the gulf was akin to a mid-table side against one at rock bottom. And although that says more about how bad West Brom were than whether or not Parker's side can climb that high (they almost certainly can't), it was an assured performance to build on. One in which their identity was clear to us as well as the manager.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-fulham-2-0-west-brom-identity-parker-clear

WhiteJC

Fulham on the up after Ola Aina seals first win of season against West Brom

Bobby Decordova-Reid (right) gives Fulham the lead after latching on to a knock down from Aleksandar Mitrovic. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC Pool/The Guardian

"Nothing." That was the summary of what Scott Parker thought he could learn from the league table after watching his Fulham side claim their first victory of the season.

The pure clean air of 17th place now circulates around his players but Parker was not in the mood for jubilation or even to express much in the way of relief. A comfortable win over West Brom was the chance instead to reinforce the message Parker has been set on since the beginning – a fight against relegation will be tough for Fulham; but if they are willing to learn from their mistakes, they have a chance.

"I think I've been pretty level this season and I've tried to relay that to the team," Parker said. "We are going to have a lot of bumps in the road and I'm not afraid to say that. But I've got a really good team there and a group open to understanding.

"There's going to be hard points, but each week the boys put hands up to mistakes and are willing to learn and to get better."

Goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina decided this contest in a five-minute burst around the half hour mark. Much of the rest of the match was essentially stodgy and to be fair to a hangdog Slaven Bilic, who seemed to take defeat pretty hard, his team were relatively well-matched opponents for that time. But in the decisive moments Fulham had the strength, the confidence and – most clearly – the plan to make a difference.

The visitors might have taken the lead in just the second minute had Grady Diangana done better with a Matheus Pereira cross.

Less than 60 seconds later and a delivery from the other side deceived Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola in the air and bounced back out off the inside of his left-hand post. Early fleeting moments that later proved fateful.

After a quarter of stalemate, Fulham opened the scoring with a sweeping move. It began with a lofted one-two in the Fulham midfield, the ball played to André-Frank Zambo Anguissa who spread play out left to Antonee Robinson. The left-back, signed from Wigan this summer, lifted his cross to the obvious target, Aleksandar Mitrovic, at the back post. The Serb duly won his header, playing back across goal to Decordova-Reid who got the requisite power in his jump to nod the ball past Sam Johnstone.

It was a great goal and showed off some of the attributes that have been largely concealed in this Fulham side so far this season. Their second, arriving just four minutes later, was all about individual ability and that of Robinson's counterpart on the opposite flank Aina. Another summer transfer – none of Fulham's back five were on their books last season – the former Chelsea man and current Torino loanee had shown a willingness to get forward throughout. This time, when the ball bobbled past his marker 30 yards from goal, Aina was off. He found Decordova-Reid with the pass who quickly shuffled the ball to Mitrovic. Once again the No 9 did his job well, holding off his man and teeing up Aina to drive a perfect left-foot shot inside the far post.

Ola Aina (centre) is mobbed by his Fulham teammates. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC Pool/The Guardian

West Brom had a chance to hit back with eight minutes remaining of the half, after Anguissa gave up the ball under pressure from Conor Gallagher. Karlan Grant, who scored his first goal for the club at Brighton last week, was the beneficiary of the turnover and had time and space to pick his spot up against Areola. The £15m signing got it all wrong, however, and his lofted shot flew well wide.

"I am very frustrated because we were looking forward to this game for a reason,"said Bilic.

"The last couple of games gave us confidence, shape and belief. We were improving, basically growing, but after tonight ... We can't rely on quality, we have to dig in and work hard. If we don't do that we have no chance."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/02/fulham-west-bromwich-albion-premier-league-match-report

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham Beat West Brom 2-0

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, Emilio and Russ shared their initial views on this 2-0 victory for Fulham. They discussed the two goals, and also who they thought was Man Of The Match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/11/2/21546612/cottage-talk-full-time-fulham-beat-west-brom-2-0

WhiteJC

Parker pleased with Fulham's first win

Fulham boss Scott Parker admitted there was an element of relief at Craven Cottage tonight – after the Whites recorded their first Premier League win of the season against West Brom and moved out of the relegation zone.

The hosts were comfortable winners over fellow strugglers Albion courtesy of first half strikes from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina, who struck a superb second from just outside the box. Parker professed himself pleased with Fulham's attitude and intensity and believes his side can build a morale-boosting first victory.

He told his post-match press conference:

"We sat on one point after six games, not won a game, so of course there's a relief amongst the team and amongst the players. I think I've said it many a time this year – we've won the game tonight – along the journey we're going to have this year, there's going to be many bumps.

"Overall a very, very good performance... I think for for everyone in the team, in the club, they needed the win and we got that. I thought we had a real endeavour about us, showed our quality tonight and were well worth the two goals.

"The processes [that] are in place, in terms of coming onto the training field, keep learning from our errors – which we're going to make, coz that's where we are this year – but good group, [that] come in every day in training, working hard, understanding where we are and where we need to keep improving. And that's going to be the same moving forward. There's going to be many more bumps for us this year, as long we adopt an attitude which is one of wanting to improve, wanting to get better, I've no doubt we'll be ok."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/11/parker-pleased-with-fulhams-first-win/

WhiteJC

Fulham to assess Lemina hamstring problem

Fulham will assess a hamstring injury Mario Lemina picked up during the 2-0 victory against West Brom.

Lemina, on loan from Southampton, was substituted at half-time at Craven Cottage, where the Whites clinched their first Premier League win of the season.

Fulham boss Scott Parker explained: "He's struggling a little bit. He felt his hamstring a little bit in the first half, so we didn't want to take any risks. We'll have to see how he is."

Parker praised his players after the much-needed – and fully deserved – win.

The result lifted Fulham out of the bottom three.

But Parker said: "That's irrelevant for me at this moment.

"What is relevant is the team moving in the right direction and improving and us moving in the right way – and I've seen that.

"I have seen that in the weeks before this. Of course the results have not been there, but I absolutely have seen an improvement."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-assessing-mario-lemina-injury-problem

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Scott Parker hails "massive improvements" after West Brom win

Fulham manager Scott Parker played down the importance of moving clear of the Premier League relegation zone following his side's dominant 2-0 win over West Brom.

Goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina secured a first league win back in the top tier for the Cottagers and left the visitors still waiting to break their duck.

The result saw Fulham leapfrog their opponents and out of the bottom three, but Parker believes league position is not especially important at this stage of the season.

When asked what it meant psychologically to be out of the drop zone, he said: "Nothing really to be honest. It's really irrelevant at this moment for me.

"What is relevant to me is the team moving in the right direction and improving and us moving in the right way and I see that and I have seen that in the weeks before this.

"OK the results haven't been there and I understand when the result's not there the noise is 'can't win' but I have seen massive improvements.

"But in terms of the table and where we sit on that, to me that's irrelevant. Let's see where we are at the end, but what is important to me is that the team are going in the right direction and I am seeing that."

On the game, Parker added: "I think overall, all round a very good performance. Obviously the result was important. We all understood that because we started this season and I've sat here and said that performance-wise I think we were progressing in the right way, but I think for everyone – the team, the club – we needed the win and we've got that."

The one downside was the injury to Mario Lemina, with Parker confirming the midfielder was brought off at half-time as a precaution after he felt his hamstring in the opening 45 minutes.

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic conceded his side did not play well enough at Craven Cottage, as they continue their search for a first win back in the top tier.

"I'm very disappointed obviously," he said. "We were looking forward for this game because the last couple of games we looked really good, we played really good in training, lot of intensity, lot of quality to be fair. But when we need to produce it on the pitch we simply didn't do it.

"We were good for 25 minutes but after that they were stronger than us, they were sharper, quicker, better passing, better one-against-one, better in that area where it matters to make a difference.

"That's when it really hurts when you find out that you didn't deserve a thing from this game, you can't say that you were unlucky, you can't say that you missed some chances or whatever, no, they were much better than us."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/fulham-boss-scott-parker-hails-massive-improvements-after-west-brom-win_420850.html

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Scott Parker not interested in Premier League table after beating West Brom

The result saw Fulham leapfrog their opponents and out of the bottom three

Fulham manager Scott Parker played down the importance of moving clear of the Premier League relegation zone following his side's dominant 2-0 win over West Brom.

Goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina secured a first league win back in the top tier for the Cottagers and left the visitors still waiting to break their duck.

The result saw Fulham leapfrog their opponents and out of the bottom three, but Parker believes league position is not especially important at this stage of the season.

When asked what it meant psychologically to be out of the drop zone, he said: "Nothing really to be honest. It's really irrelevant at this moment for me.

"What is relevant to me is the team moving in the right direction and improving and us moving in the right way and I see that and I have seen that in the weeks before this.

"OK the results haven't been there and I understand when the result's not there the noise is 'can't win' but I have seen massive improvements.

"But in terms of the table and where we sit on that, to me that's irrelevant. Let's see where we are at the end, but what is important to me is that the team are going in the right direction and I am seeing that."

On the game, Parker added: "I think overall, all round a very good performance. Obviously the result was important. We all understood that because we started this season and I've sat here and said that performance-wise I think we were progressing in the right way, but I think for everyone - the team, the club - we needed the win and we've got that."

The one downside was the injury to Mario Lemina, with Parker confirming the midfielder was brought off at half-time as a precaution after he felt his hamstring in the opening 45 minutes.

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic conceded his side did not play well enough at Craven Cottage, as they continue their search for a first win back in the top tier.

"I'm very disappointed obviously," he said. "We were looking forward for this game because the last couple of games we looked really good, we played really good in training, lot of intensity, lot of quality to be fair. But when we need to produce it on the pitch we simply didn't do it.

"We were good for 25 minutes but after that they were stronger than us, they were sharper, quicker, better passing, better one-against-one, better in that area where it matters to make a difference.

"That's when it really hurts when you find out that you didn't deserve a thing from this game, you can't say that you were unlucky, you can't say that you missed some chances or whatever, no, they were much better than us."

PA

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-scott-parker-west-brom-premier-league-table-standings-b1543875.html

WhiteJC

Lemina replaced after 'feeling hamstring'

Fulham will monitor Mario Lemina's fitness tomorrow morning after the midfielder felt his hamstring in tonight's win over West Bromwich Albion.

The Gabonese international, on loan at Craven Cottage from Southampton, enjoyed an excellent first half at the base of Fulham's midfield, providing an energetic presence to cover the back four and begin plenty of promising attacks. It came as a surprise when he did not reappear for the second half, having been replaced by Harrison Reed, but manager Scott Parker told his post-match press conference that Lemina was withdrawn as a precaution:

"He's struggling a little bit. He felt his hamstring a little bit in the first half, so we didn't want to take any risks. We'll have to see how he is".

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/11/lemina-replaced-after-feeling-hamstring/

WhiteJC

'It's nowhere near good enough, we can't play like this - we have to be CRAZY!' Fuming boss Slaven Bilic admits his winless West Brom side were simply out-fought after crashing 2-0 at Fulham

Slaven Bilic's side still without a win after their opening seven league games
    The West Brom boss accused his side of disappearing after the first 25 minutes
    The Baggies are 18th and host high flying Tottenham in their next league fixture

West Bromwich Albion manager Slaven Bilic tore into his side after they were comfortably beaten 2-0 by Fulham.

Goals from Bobby Reid and Ola Aina condemned the Baggies to defeat and left them still chasing their first Premier League win of the season.

Bilic's side have only taken three points from their opening seven games and the Baggies boss criticised his players after their latest loss.

'We can't play like this, we can't play like this. We have to get into the red zone. We have to be crazy. He told the BBC.

'We played for 25 mins then we disappeared. It was nowhere near good enough. Everything starts with the work rate. They were stronger, quicker, better in passing, better in one-on-ones, more direct and taking more responsibility.

'They had much more quality. It hurts because everything looked good in the last couple of games. We have to wake up. We can and we have to be much better than this. Everything starts with work rate, commitment and dedication.'

The much needed win for Fulham was their first of the season and lifted them up to 17th

'We need to be much better in everything. It all starts with the work-rate, it was nowhere near good enough. We didn't hurt them enough, it was very slow, waiting for something to happen, that's why we couldn't do anything.

'It's worrying - not the points or position, but the performance. Everything starts with the work rate, commitment, dedication and we simply didn't match them and have to work much, much harder.

'We don't have the most quality. If we work harder, we will have a chance in many games.'

Next up for the Baggies will be a home game against Tottenham on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8907775/Fuming-boss-Slaven-Bilic-admits-West-Brom-simply-fought-crashing-2-0-Fulham.html