watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lesson Learned Re Possession

Started by WindyCity, November 03, 2020, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

Yesterdays' win v WBA shows FFC with less possession than their opponent 46% v 54%.  There were periods where FFC defense just stayed back and in form while WBA did basically nothing while holding the ball.  Also, WBA ended up with only one shot on target, and fewer shots taken than FFC.  Actually I was a bit surprised that FFC had less possession when I looked at the stats, since viewing the game it really looked like FFC was in total control and pretty much bossed the game.  Just goes to show that possession isn't everything and shouldn't necessarily be such a strong goal with FFCs' game plan.

LittleErn

Quote from: WindyCity on November 03, 2020, 03:32:38 PM
Yesterdays' win v WBA shows FFC with less possession than their opponent 46% v 54%.  There were periods where FFC defense just stayed back and in form while WBA did basically nothing while holding the ball.  Also, WBA ended up with only one shot on target, and fewer shots taken than FFC.  Actually I was a bit surprised that FFC had less possession when I looked at the stats, since viewing the game it really looked like FFC was in total control and pretty much bossed the game.  Just goes to show that possession isn't everything and shouldn't necessarily be such a strong goal with FFCs' game plan.

+1

Jim©

Quote from: WindyCity on November 03, 2020, 03:32:38 PM

I think we were much less cautious in possession than we had been- we tried some slightly more dangerous passes, a few longer balls and players drove at the opposition.
I like to think that some of what we saw last night may staind us in a much better stead as we move forward this season..

Dodgin

Leeds 68% possesion Leicester 32% score 1-4

shepperton white

While the stats say WBA had the greater percentage of possession, it seemed to me that most of  that possession was in their own half anyway.

LittleErn

Quote from: shepperton white on November 03, 2020, 05:03:37 PM
While the stats say WBA had the greater percentage of possession, it seemed to me that most of  that possession was in their own half anyway.

Just like ours used to be. Parkerball across the back four and goalie.

70sPimlico

I do find it strange that there are people that seem to belittle the whole possession based ethos, as if its in someway a negative objective. (not on this thread)

I'd much rather a coach that wanted to keep the ball than one who wants to sit back and then launch to the quick lad.

That said, I used to look at us play and pull my hair out. Not that we were knocking it side to side but more that the players in front were not moving and didn't seem to want the ball.

With Lemina, Robinson, ZAmbo, Lookman, RLC and a revitalised TC, we've half a team that absolutely wants the ball. This makes it so easier for making a forward pass. Of course, all of those players are dangerous in their own right and are now taking specific attention that, in turn is giving more space to the others.

I think Parkerball might actually turn out to be quite exciting. The only thing that will of changed will be the personel.

Mr K.Dilkington

possession only matters with what you do with it. no points for possession stats
Foolish ham

LittleErn

"That said, I used to look at us play and pull my hair out. Not that we were knocking it side to side but more that the players in front were not moving and didn't seem to want the ball." Agreed 70sPimlico but It's a matter of cause and effect. If you keep moving into space and the ball doesn't come quickly enough you eventually stop doing it. Which came first? Incidentally, I am not a fan of possession per se - It can be a good thing but the ball still has to be moved quickly or else the area in front of goal becomes congested.

cottage expat

I was impressed with the fact that, instead of the endless back and side passes, they strung together decent forward passes and kept pressing ahead. Having a solid back line 
provides the midfield with that added confidence to press forward. While the Baggies looked lethargic, it was the best Fulham performance I've seen in a long while.

Andy S

I agree as possession only matters if you do something with it. Speed is what wins games in football it is how fast you react that gives you an advantage and wins you. The game. If the ball goes back to the keeper the team needs to start all over again. I think scoring first is also a very big part of winning

Finnans Right Peg

Watching west brom last night was like watching how we have played in the games before loads of possession but no end product and i wonder if there was a stat for how much of the ball both teams had in the other teams half

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on November 03, 2020, 07:03:20 PM
Watching west brom last night was like watching how we have played in the games before loads of possession but no end product and i wonder if there was a stat for how much of the ball both teams had in the other teams half
good comparison really
Foolish ham

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Dodgin on November 03, 2020, 04:59:57 PM
Leeds 68% possesion Leicester 32% score 1-4
Quite,mentioned the same thing on another thread yesterday. Think we now have the personnel to absorb pressure and hit on the break.

Matt10

If anything, all the possession we've had before was a good maximum measurement on how comfortable we are on the ball. Every single player that played last night has incredible ability with the ball at their feet. That is quite promising. Now that we know that is for sure, it's not surprise we then kicked it up a notch and started taking chances by being much more direct. Long may it continue, because when we get on top first, we'll be tough to beat.

battersea boy

I think Scott learned a lot watching Roy and Ray last week.
Keep your shape and press,break and pass quicker.

Matt10

Quote from: battersea boy on November 04, 2020, 12:58:34 AM
I think Scott learned a lot watching Roy and Ray last week.
Keep your shape and press,break and pass quicker.

Good point. I agree. We transitioned to our defensive shape so well last night. It looked like a 4-4-2, but I haven't checked for sure.

colinwhite

We played 442 with Cairney beside Mitro in our press. A play on numbers in a fluid system but a lot of the time thats how we played, with Lookman and Decadova reid tucking in quite deep.

colinwhite

This whole possesion debate is getting abit out of hand. Possession may not guarantee winning games but lack of it certainly doesnt make it any easier to win either!
It all depends on how the game pans out aand who the opposition is. Playing straighter or more direct means more ball loss which is fine if you have scored first. If you let the top sides have too much of the ball their quality will slaughter you. Against a team like Brentford it made sense to sit low and deny their attacking players space. Against w Brom ,having gone 2-0 up we could afford to let them have the ball,as they were doing little to break us down. I would suggest that our possession stats were probably a lot higher up to the second goal. Havent seen it but would be surprised if it wasnt so.

MJG

Its like possession to some people is a bad word. the fact is...and it is a fact...that the vast majority of teams that have the ball more do better.
Yes you can win without the ball and yes leicester won the league etc etc. But what people dont post is when teams that win a game with more possession which is why you get p[eople posting when a team wins with less. Its not rare, its just not the majority of the time.

As the table stands today 6 of the top 10 are in the top 10 for possession. All 3 at the bottom are in the the bottom 6 for possession.

Only 1 team in the league has an avg of more than 12 shots a game without having 50% or more possession.

less possession equals less chances in vast majority of cases.

Now we all agree that piossession for just having the ball is no good, and Slav and Parker fell into that trap, too deep, too slow. It always has to have a purpose, and end game. Slavs was to wear teams down and then go for it. parker is still I think trying to find his real way. The other night showed speed and quicker passing than possibly any game under him. Thats got to be the way forward. But no one is ever going to convince me that possession is a bad thing. Its just how you use it thats bad.

Just the views of a long term fan