more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 04/11/20...

Started by WhiteJC, November 03, 2020, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Opinion: Time For Said Benrahma To Make His Full Debut
Recent West Ham signing Said Benrahma made his Irons debut on Saturday in the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield, albeit a brief outing in which the Algerian was afforded no time to impact the result.

Having sat out the previous week as the Hammers drew with Manchester City at London Stadium, the winger was deemed fit enough for the bench last weekend and was given his first minutes as a West Ham player.

Saturday's goalscorer Pablo Fornals, along with Jarrod Bowen, have appeared in every Premier League game this season, scoring five goals between them [Transfermarkt], although in recent weeks it has been more a case of their defensive acumen and work rate shining through as opposed to attacking prowess.

With Fulham up next for David Moyes' side, the time could be nigh for Benrahma to make his full debut for the club as the Hammers look to return to winning ways in what is on paper a more favorable fixture.

The Algerian terrorised defenders across the Championship last season, including the Fulham backline, picking up two assists and one goal in two league meetings against the Cottagers in 2019/20.

Should Benrahma feature against Scott Parker's side, it would be the 25-year-old's second outing against them this season, having scored twice against the west Londoners in the Carabao Cup a month ago whilst still a Brentford player, including one sublime strike.

READ WEST HAM VERDICT

Both Fornals and Bowen have put in shifts over the last fortnight in two difficult games and are probably deserving of a rest.

Bowen could well remain in the starting XI in a central striking role following a disappointing performance from Sebastien Haller in the absence of Michail Antonio.

Unlike recent fixtures, Moyes will expect and demand his side to have far more of the ball on Saturday at London Stadium, and with the creative spark of Benrahma at his disposal and Antonio likely to miss out once more, what better time to unleash the Algerian?

https://readwestham.com/2020/11/03/said-benrahma-west-ham-debut-opinion/

WhiteJC

Parker admits: 'We needed that' after Fulham bag first Premier League victory of the season

Scott Parker has conceded that Fulham's first win of the season is a huge relief – and will serve to renew belief within his squad that they are improving.

First-half goals from Bobby Reid and Ola Aina (pictured) secured a 2-0 victory over fellow-strugglers West Brom in Monday night's encounter at Craven Cottage and it was enough to lift the Whites out of the bottom three.

But more than that, it is a massive shot in the arm after a miserable start to the campaign, which included three defeats in the opening three home matches.

"Obviously, the result was very important and we all understood that, because performance wise we are progressing in the right way, but for everyone at the club, we needed the win and we've got that," said Fulham's head coach.

"Along the way this season we are going to have a lot of bumps – I'm not afraid to say that – but there probably is a little bit of relief. You want to win matches to gain that confidence. 

"Being out of the bottom three doesn't mean anything really. That's really irrelevant to me at this moment. What's relevant is the team moving in the right direction and improving and I have seen that. I've seen that in the weeks before this.

"I've got a very good team here and a bunch of players that are really open to understanding that along the way we are going to make mistakes and that it's going to be difficult at times.

"Anyone watching us with an open mind and seeing us for what we are can see where we need to improve and can also see we have big quality as well. In the second half we had other elements and some lovely bits. And we were pretty solid. It's something to build on."

Parker added: "All round, it was a very, very good performance. I thought we had real endeavour about us and showed our quality. We were well worthy of the two goals. 

"And what pleased me most was the way we managed the game in the second half, against a team we knew would come out and put us under pressure. We managed the situation very, very well.

"We are going to have to play a little bit differently from last year. We are going to have to take risks a little bit – with shots in and around the box. Ola did that. He took a shot and it's flown into the top corner. That was pleasing."

Baggies boss Slaven Bilic said of the Whites: "They were stronger than us, they were sharper, quicker, better in passing, better in one against one. Better in the areas that make a difference. They were much better than us."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/parker-admits-we-needed-that-after-fulham-bag-first-premier-league-victory-of-the-season

WhiteJC

'It Was A Great Strike' - Fulham Coach Attributes Ola Aina's Goal To Taking More

ulham coach Scott Parker has attributed Ola Aina's goal against West Brom to his team taking more risks within and near the penalty area.

Thirty minutes in at Craven Cottage, the right-back doubled Fulham's advantage with a wonderful strike into the top corner - his first goal in the Premier League in his seventh appearance.

Predominantly right-footed, Aina has been working on his weaker left foot and got the reward for the practice he has put in with a sensational thunderbolt from just outside the box.

Speaking post-match, Parker told Fulham's official website : "It was a great strike. We might have to take risks.

"We're going to have to take risks in or around the box and Ola did that and it's flown into the top corner.

"Anyone watching us with an open mind will see we have a bit of quality. We had some lovely bits in both halves."

Following their first win of the new season, Fulham are 17th in the 20-team table ahead of the London derby with West Ham United on Saturday.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37895

WhiteJC

Fulham promise 'big part' for unused substitute in first win, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Finally win a game, but without RLC

There were four winless teams in the Premier League heading into the weekend, now there are just three. Friendly neighbors Fulham finally recorded their first (league) win of the season, beating also awful West Brom, 2-0, and lifting themselves out of the early-season relegation zone.

Unfortunately for our interests, they did so without Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who was only named to the bench, and went unused. RLC had started Fulham's last two games, a 1-1 draw at Sheffield United and a 2-1 loss at home to Crystal Palace, but on Monday night, manager Scott Parker decided to hand Bobby Decordova-Reid a start on the right wing instead.

The former Bristol City star repaid that decision with the opening goal, while former Chelsea prospect Ola Aina made sure of the points with a fantastic strike and his first goal for the club. (Congrats, Ola!) Speaking of Chelsea boys, Conor Gallagher and the legend that is Branislav Ivanović both started for the Baggies. Gallagher has played the full 90 in West Brom's last three Premier League matches (2 draws, 1 loss).

As far as Ruben's concerned, we can only hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Expecting him to start or play in every games is probably unrealistic (even if Fulham's schedule is relatively sparse with just the one game each weekend), but the point of his move was to play as much as possible. Parker reassured afterwards that the Chelsea loanee will have a big role to play, though obviously the proof will be in the pudding.

"Ruben had been out for a long time, came into the club late and has played two games. I just felt Bobby was the one and we went with him.

"Ruben will have a lot of game time this year and he'll bring his quality and will have a lot to offer. He'll help us moving forward, no doubt. He didn't start this one but he'll have a big part to play."

-Scott Parker; source: West London Sport

Fulham midfielder Mario Lemina (also on loan) suffered a hamstring injury in this game, which could perhaps provide a chance for Loftus-Cheek to play bit deeper than this wing business we've seen recently from both Lampard (during Project Restart) and now Parker.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/11/3/21547311/fulham-promise-big-part-for-unused-substitute-in-first-win-ruben-loftus-cheek

WhiteJC

Chelsea fans react to Ruben Loftus-Cheek being left on Fulham bench

Fulham manager Scott Parker recently snubbed Ruben Loftus-Cheek by leaving him on the bench in the Premier League – and some Chelsea fans gave a worried response on Twitter.

Loftus-Cheek is a highly-rated talent to come out of the Blues academy, but he's been plagued by injuries in his career and he was sent on a season-long loan this year to Craven Cottage to try help him get back on track.

The 24-year-old had previously started back-to-back league games for Fulham following his loan arrival, but on Monday night he was an unused substitute in a 2-0 victory over West Brom.

He is an all-action attacking midfielder that is mainly used in areas up the pitch right now, but he's fallen a long way from the player that was part of England's World Cup squad in 2018.

A selection of Chelsea supporters on social media are suggesting it's a long road back for him to break back into Frank Lampard's side, as it's telling that he can't nail down a starting position for a Fulham team likely to be fighting relegation in the Premier League this season.

But Fulham boss Scott Parker has given assurances that Loftus-Cheek's absence doesn't mean he won't be vital moving froward.

"Ruben had been out for a long time, came into the club late and has played two games," Parker said, as quoted by West London Sport.

"Ruben will have a lot of game time this year and he'll bring his quality and will have a lot to offer. He'll help us moving forward, no doubt. He didn't start this one but he'll have a big part to play."

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/chelsea-fans-react-to-ruben-loftus-cheek-being-left-on-fulham-bench/

WhiteJC

'I see that': Scott Parker outlines what's most relevant after Fulham's first win

Fulham manager Scott Parker has said he is only concerned with moving in the "right direction" following their 2-0 win over West Brom last night, as reported by the Independent.

Goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina gave Fulham their first league win of the season and hauled them out of the relegation zone.

The win helped the Cottagers climb to 17th in the table, one place above Slaven Bilic's West Brom.

Massive improvements
Despite rising above the drop zone, Parker said: "What is relevant to me is the team moving in the right direction and improving and us moving in the right way – and I see that.

"Ok, the results haven't been there and I understand when the result's not there the noise is 'can't win'. But I have seen massive improvements.

"But in terms of the table and where we sit on that, to me that's irrelevant. Let's see where we are at the end. What is important to me is the team are going in the right direction."

Fulham have picked up four points in seven games, with last night's win leaving Burnley at the foot of the table.

Fulham finally find form
Although we're in the early stages of the season, this fixture could prove significant in the fight against relegation.

Despite having more possession, West Brom failed to score for the third time in their last four league games.

Decordova-Reid and Aina scored five minutes apart in the first half and the Cottagers went on to keep their first clean sheet of the season.

Parker said: "I think overall (it was) all round a very good performance. Obviously the result was important.

"I've sat here and said performance-wise I think we were progressing in the right way. But I think for everyone – the team, the club – we needed the win. And we've got that."

https://www.thefocus.news/football/fulham/

WhiteJC

Ola Aina urges Fulham to kick on after 'massive' West Brom win: 'That needs to be the minimum'

Fulham's free-flowing performance on Monday night, which saw them claim their first Premier League win of the season, has set the standard for Scott Parker's side, says goalscorer Ola Aina.

The full-back, who made his top-flight debut for Chelsea in 2016, scored his first Premier League goal, a thunderous left-footed strike into the top corner, to help the Cottagers on their way to a comfortable 2-0 win over Slaven Bilic's West Brom.

It lifted Fulham off the foot of the table and out of the relegation zone.

This was their finest display since earning promotion, with debutant defender Joachim Andersen helping secure a first clean sheet of the season, too, and Aina says that, after the relief of getting their first win, such a performance must be the minimum expectation going forward.

"It was massive," Aina told Standard Sport. "Everyone knows it has been a tough start to the season and to get the three points and the clean sheet, those things are very important.

"We dug in and really showed some resilience, it is an amazing feeling. It is a long season, the team and myself have to take every game as it comes.

"You have to work hard at that, keep training and putting in the effort. What we did last night, that needs to be the minimum. Hopefully, we can kick on from here and keep improving."

Parker said it was a relief to finally have the pressure of a winless run end and praised his squad for their desire to improve, something Aina says is driven by the manager himself.

"He has been great, keeping the belief within the camp and he always tells us that he believes in each and everyone of us, believes in our ability and what we can achieve," Aina said.

"He has been very positive with us — where we lack, he lets us know, and where we do well, he lets us know. He is a very truthful guy and he has been great."

The full-back, who signed on loan with an option to buy from Torino the day before the season started, has had to wait to establish himself in the Premier League, but is now living out his dream at Craven Cottage.

"It is always special getting your first Premier League goal," he said. "It has been a long time since I made my League debut.

"I am just glad that the goal came and I was able to help the team with it.

"It is a dream to play in the Premier League and score, and get games in the Premier League. When I left Chelsea, it was kick-starting a career for myself.

"I always wanted to come back and play in the Premier League. I am just happy that I am making it a reality."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-west-brom-ola-aina-premier-league-b43622.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's first win can build belief

Doesn't the table look much sweeter after a victory? Scott Parker might insist that he will learn little from Fulham's elevation to seventeenth place, but in terms of the fans' morale those three points and a sniff of safety – even at this early stage – makes a real difference. Beating the other strugglers is the bread and butter of a relegation fight (something the Whites haven't consistently mustered in the past) and, however poor West Brom were last night, Fulham dispatched them with a real ruthlessness that bodes well for the weeks ahead.

Parker deserves huge credit for engineering a victory when both goals and points looked tough to come by. His key alterations from the defeat by Crystal Palace, where the same sort of problems dogged a ponderous side, were hugely vindicated. Ruben Loftus-Cheek comes to Craven Cottage with real pedigree, but a lack of form and fitness has undermined his undoubted talent in recent years. He might have been ill-served by being shoved out on the right against Palace, but there was a listlessness about his play that Fulham couldn't afford. Compare and contrast with Bobby Decordova-Reid, who approached the right wing role with hunger, bagging the opening goal as his reward – and the Jamaican forward could easily had another late on.

The boon was the introduction of Joachim Andersen – significantly ahead of schedule after his ankle injury – at centre back. You sense our survival hopes are intertwined with the Danish defender's fitness and fortunes. He was composed, comfortable in possession and regularly in the right position, something you couldn't say about some of his predecessors in our back line, reading danger reassuringly. There will be far stiffer tests to come but this was encouraging start at tackling the team's Achilles heel. Building a partnership with Toisin Adarabioyo, who put together another strong display, will help build confidence as well as a back four that can avoid basic mistakes.

There was clearly a change in approach from the early weeks of the season. We've speculated before about whether Parker's approach will be better suited to the top flight than the Jokanovic method and perhaps this was the first time the manager's pragmatism bore fruit. Fulham had just 46% of possession, having dominated the ball against all opponents bar Arsenal this season, but they used it far more effectively in the final third. A more direct approach didn't dovetail with an abundance of caution, as seen from the thrust provided by the frequent forward forays of our full backs, but it did play to the strengths of Aleksandar Mitrovic, as evidenced by the Serbian's pair of assists – a first for him in English league football.

Mitrovic, who has come in for his critics at times this season, thrives on the sort of service that Antonee Robinson delivered for the first goal. The thrust came from Andre-Frank Anguissa, dynamic from a deep lying midfield position, and Robinson's deep cross was perfect for Mitrovic to attack at the back post. That he aimed across goal after soaring high showed both his own awareness and the value of flooding the box with numbers, which Fulham have failed to do enough this season, and Decordova-Reid could hardly miss with his own header from close range.

Robinson was a potent threat all night, utterly justifying his selection ahead of Joe Bryan, but also showed commendable defensive skills when necessary. His pace provides a real outlet down the left flank and, as Ademola Lookman and he develop a greater understanding, there could be real joy down that side. Ola Aina probably won't ever strike a ball better than he did for that stunning second, demonstrating that he was genuinely two-footed, but the precise passing and movement that created the space for the strike shouldn't go unnoticed. Moving the ball with purpose and at pace creates opportunities – and that has to be the lesson to take from this success rather than returning to the ponderous possession-based stuff that is easy to defend against for disciplined sides at this level.

Perhaps the most striking thing about Fulham's success last night are the options that Parker has at his disposal in midfield. Mario Lemina offered both energy and significant cover in front of the back four, delivering the kind of display that explained why the Whites were keen to recruit him. In his own understated way, Harrison Reed showed just how important an acquisition he was with another excellent second half cameo – and the competition for places is exceedingly healthy. Anguissa, one sloppy mistake aside when he gifted Karlan Grant an opportunity to bring the Baggies back in the game, strode through the centre of the park like a colossus. We didn't see enough of his creative side two seasons ago, but they was plenty to like about his direct running into the heart of Albion territory, often allied with a forward pass. Tom Cairney dictated proceedings with that air of arrogance that has sometimes been missing from his displays at this level, but his imprint was all over this performer. The captain attracted some silly internet carping for featuring both his goal and a place in the Premier League team of the week on his Instagram after the Palace reverse but he answered those critics in the best way possible, with a first-class performance that deserved to be capped by a delightful chip that so nearly brought a third goal.

Nobody should be under illusions that this fixes all the problems that have surfaced in the first couple of months of the step up to the Premier League. West Brom were woeful, a fact that Slaven Bilic bluntly acknowledged afterwards, and Fulham's fixture list throws up some significant tests in the next few weeks: West Ham away, Everton at home, Leceister City away, followed by a trip to Manchester City and the hosting of Liverpool in December. Parker struck the right tone afterwards, emphasising the importance of continuing the learning on the training pitches and building on this success, but momentum is vital in this league and, after weeks of woe, this result will do wonders for Fulham's confidence.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/11/fulhams-first-win-can-build-belief/

WhiteJC

Parker ready after battle of former Irons

Scotty Parker came out winner of the former Irons stars battle last night as Fulham grabbed an invaluable three points over Slaven Bilic's West Brom.

It moved the Whites up to 17th, one place above the relegation spots and ready for the game against the Irons at the weekend, in which they will be aiming to follow up.

It means the Bilic-managed Baggies slipped into the relegation zone and still without a win after being automatically promoted last season.

The Hammers will be keeping a careful eye on a striker who has been regularly linked with us over the past couple of summers – Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic – who despite not getting on the score sheet last was man of the match.

Manager Parker declared himself ready for the weekend when saying of his team with whom there were no injury worries: "We definitely got what we deserved.

"We are definitely maturing and definitely improving. We got a result and it is brilliant but we have to keep moving forward."

https://www.claretandhugh.info/parker-ready-after-battle-of-former-irons/

WhiteJC

Aina calls on Fulham to build momentum after 'massive' win

Goalscoring hero Ola Aina has called on his Fulham team-mates to 'kick on' from what he described as a 'massive' win over West Brom last night and move up the Premier League table.

The on-loan Torino full back struck his first top flight goal, a sensational strike from 20 yards, to double Fulham's lead against the Baggies and secure a first league victory of the season for Scott Parker's side. The win saw the Whites leapfrog their fellow strugglers into seventeenth in the table and Aina told the Evening Standard afterwards just how precious those three points felt:

"It was massive. Everyone knows it has been a tough start to the season and to get the three points and the clean sheet, those things are very important. We dug in and really showed some resilience, it is an amazing feeling. It is a long season, the team and myself have to take every game as it comes. You have to work hard at that, keep training and putting in the effort. What we did last night, that needs to be the minimum. Hopefully, we can kick on from here and keep improving."

The versatile defender heaped praise on manager Scott Parker for keeping his side focused during a tough few weeks at the start of their Premier League return.

He has been great, keeping the belief within the camp and he always tells us that he believes in each and everyone of us, believes in our ability and what we can achieve. He has been very positive with us — where we lack, he lets us know, and where we do well, he lets us know. He is a very truthful guy and he has been great.

Aina was delighted to get on a scoresheet and hopes to be able to establish himself in the top flight, having moved to Italy after failing to make the breakthrough with Chelsea.

It is always special getting your first Premier League goal. It has been a long time since I made my league debut. I am just glad that the goal came and I was able to help the team with it. It is a dream to play in the Premier League and score, and get games in the Premier League. When I left Chelsea, it was kick-starting a career for myself. I always wanted to come back and play in the Premier League. I am just happy that I am making it a reality.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/11/aina-calls-on-fulham-to-build-momentum-after-massive-win/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker reckons Fulham will have to take more risks this season than last

Fulham manager Scott Parker accepts his side will have to take risks this season after they secured their first Premier League victory of the campaign with a dominant 2-0 win over West Brom.

Parker's team moved clear of the relegation zone as goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ola Aina inside the first half-hour gave the hosts a decisive lead at Craven Cottage and the Baggies found no way back.

The result pushed their winless opponents Albion into the bottom three, and Parker believes the Cottagers can continue to improve.

When asked about Aina's powerful strike from outside the area, Parker said: "Great strike. It's something we've spoken about since the start of the season really, the way we played last year and the way we're going to have to play this year is probably a little bit... different in the sense that we're going to have to take risks a little bit.

"We're going to have to put balls into the right area and I think we are number one for crosses in the division, but certainly shots in and around the box we're going to have to take a bit of risk and Ola did that – he took a shot and it's flown into the top corner, so that was pleasing."

Centre-back Joachim Andersen was made to wait for his Fulham debut after sustaining an injury just days after joining the club last month on loan from Lyon, but his first start coincided with a clean sheet, and he feels it is important now for the team to kick on.

Andersen told FFCtv: "It's really important (to take momentum into next game). We need to believe that we have something to do. We played a great game and also in the other games I don't think we did too bad, we just missed that last little touch and we had that today so we must continue to do that."

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic was critical of his side after their defeat, singling out just two players – Conor Gallagher and Branislav Ivanovic – for praise.

Bilic said "I saw tonight a young kid Conor Gallagher and I saw Branislav Ivanovic. A very young guy and an older guy – they had more commitment.

"That's not good when you can see two players that are doing more than the others and it looked to me like that and it can't be the case.

"This is the league and we are the team that can't rely on quality only, we have to dig in and work hard like we have done, especially in the last couple of games. If we can't do that, we have no chance."

The Baggies boss continued: "I don't question the (general) commitment... I've said it looked really good (in previous games).

"I am talking about tonight and what it looked like, we did not have it. We were not good enough."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-reckons-fulham-will-have-to-take-more-risks-this-season-than-last-1604404412000

WhiteJC

Former Southampton and Fulham trialist determined to realise professional dream in Gloucestershire

Midfielder shone in FA Youth Cup defeat at Cheltenham Town

Tuffley Rovers were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by Cheltenham Town on Monday night, but the scoreline of 4-0 was harsh.

One of the standout performers on the night was Rovers' James Sunley.

Jersey-born Sunley showed plenty of promise in midfield in what was the club's first ever appearance in the FA Youth Cup first round proper.

The 17-year-old is in his second year of a Level Three Extended Diploma at Hartpury.

He has previously been on trial at Fulham and Southampton and retains a burning ambition to make it in the full-time game.

"My ambition is to go professional and play at the highest level possible," Sunley said.

"I had to sacrifice things to move to the UK and i've set my goals and been on trial many times, but nothing has ever materialised so I'm still fighting for my opportunity to make it.

"Coming from what I call a 'bubble' in Jersey to being on trials in Category One academies is a step up, but now I think I've matured and I'm ready to try reach my goals and be successful."

Sunley had the opportunity to perform alongside Liverpool prospect Harvey Elliott during his time on trial with Fulham and he regards the current Blackburn Rovers loanee as the best he's played with.

"He's a player I believe is definitely going to make it," Sunley said.

"He's technically gifted and has the drive to be successful. He also scored one of the best goals I've witnessed whilst playing."

In terms of opponents, Miguel Azeez of Arsenal stands out.

"He played in midfield against me and I was his opposite number," he said.

"The way he understands the game and his technical ability on the ball is crazy.

"He is also an athlete and is physically strong, powerful and his stamina is very intense."

Despite the result, Sunley enjoyed the opportunity to test himself against Cheltenham's youngsters at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium.

"On behalf of all of our players, I'd like to thank all the training staff and Tuffley Rovers as a club in general and for Cheltenham Town for giving us this opportunity to showcase our talent," he said.

"I felt we were the better team for the first 15 to 25 minutes but couldn't capitalise."

Cheltenham opened the scoring through Zac Guinan's close-range header from Harvey Skurek's corner before half-time and it remained 1-0 until the 73rd minute.

"To concede from a set piece just before half-time changes the whole dynamics how of we wanted to play and I think we were always chasing the game ever so slightly from then on," Sunley said.

"It was the same story in the second half I believe we played majority of the better football but credit to Cheltenham they defended compact and we're clinical when they had the opportunities to do so.

"After that we had to go for it, it left gaps in our defence and they had the quality on the day to understand and utilise this.

"I think 4-0 was a little harsh but they were clinical when they had to be, this in which I think was the key factor on why they are through to the next round."

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-southampton-fulham-trialist-determined-4664299

WhiteJC

Aina hopes Fulham can kick on from West Bromwich Albion display

The Nigeria international has reacted to his side's victory over the Baggies which ended their unimpressive run

Ola Aina hopes Fulham can kick on from their fine showing against West Bromwich Albion on Monday.

The wing-back scored his first Premier League goal to help the Cottagers secure their first victory in the division this season which ended their five-game winless run.

Aina believes the victory at Craven Cottage should be a turning point for his side and hopes they can build on the fine display.

"It was massive. Everyone knows it has been a tough start to the season and to get the three points and the clean sheet, those things are very important," Aina told Standard Sport.

"We dug in and really showed some resilience, it is an amazing feeling. It is a long season, the team and I have to take every game as it comes.

"You have to work hard at that, keep training and putting in the effort. What we did last night, that needs to be the minimum. Hopefully, we can kick on from here and keep improving."

Aina struggled to establish himself in the Premier League during his time with Chelsea and made do with loan spells before teaming up with Torino permanently in 2019.

The full-back joined Fulham in the summer from the Serie A side on a season-long loan with an option to buy and has now featured four times in the Premier League for the club.

The Super Eagles defender is delighted he is gradually realizing his dream of playing consistently in the English top-flight.

"It is always special getting your first Premier League goal," he continued.

"It has been a long time since I made my League debut. I am just glad that the goal came and I was able to help the team with it.

"It is a dream to play in the Premier League and score, and get games in the Premier League. When I left Chelsea, it was kick-starting a career for myself.

"I always wanted to come back and play in the Premier League. I am just happy that I am making it a reality."

Aina will hope to help Fulham secure their second win on the bounce when they take on West Ham United in their next Premier League game on Saturday.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/aina-hopes-fulham-can-kick-on-from-west-bromwich-albion/120e893qoj0mu1qdj9srrj7zac

WhiteJC

Michail Antonio, Mark Noble - latest West Ham injury news ahead of Fulham

The Hammers suffered no new fresh injury concerns after their loss at champions Liverpool in the Premier League on Saturday

West Ham came through their 2-1 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday evening unscathed as focus now switches to Fulham this weekend at London Stadium.

The Hammers took the lead in the 11th minute at Anfield as Pablo Fornals swept home to fire the visitors into a surprise lead, only to be pegged back by a Mo Salah penalty and substitute Diogo Jota's 85th minute winner on Merseyside.

It ended West Ham's unbeaten four-game stretch as they have emerged from their brutal run of fixtures to start the season with eight points and sit 14th ahead of the game against former midfielder Scott Parker's side this weekend.

Fulham picked up their first win of the season on Monday night as they beat West Browmich Albion, managed by former Hammers boss Slaven Bilic, 2-0 in west London thanks to goals from Bobby De Cordova Reid and Ola Aina.

David Moyes' side lost Mark Noble to injury in training last week as he was not named in the squad for the loss at Anfield though that injury is not expected to sideline him for too long and he could be in contention for a return on Saturday.

Michail Antonio watched on from the stands at Liverpool as his teammate splugged away only to be denied late on. He is expected to miss this weekend's game against Fulham but there is cautious optimism the striker won't be out for as long as initially thought.

Aaron Cresswell also appeared to suffer a groin problem at Anfield that needed treatment though he completed the rest of the game and football.london understands he will be available for selection this weekend.

Apart from that, the injury situation isn't too bad in east London. There will have been knocks and niggles from the defeat on Saturday but Moyes should have most of his players available for the home game in Stratford this weekend.

In light of Antonio's injury, Moyes was asked about the number of soft-tissue injuries players are suffering this season which has risen rapidly after such a quick turnaround between the 2019/20 and 2020/21 campaigns and also, the amount of matches being played early in this campaign.

"It is as if nobody is willing to give anything up at all in the programme and because of that the players are the ones who are struggling with it," Moyes said.

"Nobody would give up the Carabao Cup for example. We couldn't change the Champions League, we couldn't change the Europa League, we are not going to change the Premier League. Nobody is willing to give anything up.

"The only people who will really, well not suffer be because the players are well paid for the job they do, but if you talk about injuries the players will get injured more often.

"Maybe more reason why the squads this season will be up and down is because of how compact the whole season is."

Here is the latest injury news from the Hammers heading into this weekend's clash with Fulham.
Michail Antonio

Type of injury: Hamstring

Date of injury: October 24

Potential return date: November 22

Comments: "We've already got him on the bike and he's moving, which for the type of injury we're really pleased with. He had another scan and an ultrasound as well. He's in a good place."

Mark Noble

Type of injury: Knock

Date of injury: N/A

Potential return date: November 7

Comments: Noble picked up the injury in training and football.london understands he was not risked for the defeat at Anfield

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/west-ham-injury-news-fulham-19205258

WhiteJC

The five players Fulham could be without when they face West Ham

Scott Parker's side didn't appear to pick up any fresh injury concerns following their first victory of the season on Monday night

West Ham face Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday as both sides play their final game before the upcoming international break.

Former Hammers midfielder Scott Parker visits London Stadium for the first time as he brings his team from west to east London and fresh off the back of their first victory of the new season.

Fulham saw off fellow promoted side from 2019/20 West Bromwich Albion 2-0 at Craven Cottage on Monday night to pick up three points for the first time in seven attempts this campaign, a result that also moved them out of the bottom three.

West Ham meanwhile suffered their first defeat in four games at the weekend as they were beaten 2-1 at champions Liverpool, Diogo Jota netting an 85th minute winner after Mo Salah's first half penalty had cancelled out Pablo Fornals' 11th minute opener.

It's only the second time this season that West Hma will have faced a team that sits in the bottom half of the table as their brutal run of games came to a close with the defeat on Merseyside having already played Leicester, Wolves, Man City, Spurs and Liverpool so far this season.

The Hammers will be without striker Michail Antonio this weekend as he has begun his recovery from a hamstring injury sustained in the Man City draw that forced him out of the Liverpool loss. He is not expected back in action until the resumption after the international break at the earliest.

Mark Noble missed out against Liverpool after picking up a knock in training but he is expected to have recovered for the visit of Fulham.

Aaron Cresswell required treatment at Anfield after stretching his groin but the defender shrugged it off to complete the 90 minutes and he too should be available at London Stadium.

But what about Parker's side? He could be without five players as they make the short hop across the capital.

Striker Aboubakar Kamara is definitely unavailable as he serves his second game of a three-match ban after being sent off in defeat to Crystal Palace last month after a challenge of former Hammers transfer target Eberechi Eze.

Winger Neeskens Kebano is rated at 50/50 for the match having missed the last two outings for Parker's side through injury.

Kenny Tete, a summer recruit from Lyon, will miss out with a leg injury. Midfield duo Terence Kongolo and Josh Onomah are also ruled out.

Parker's side seemingly came through their victory over the Baggies unscathed so Parker, as it stands, has no fresh injuries to worry about as he prepares his team to face David Moyes' men on Saturday evening.

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/fixtures-results/five-players-fulham-could-without-19212547

WhiteJC

'It's My Wrong Foot' - Fulham's Aina Reveals His Stronger Foot After Scoring Vs

Nigeria international Ola Aina was delighted to help Fulham secure a 2-0 win against Semi Ajayi's West Brom in a Premier League match at Craven Cottage on Monday evening.

Considering the way Scott Parker's side started the season, the Cottagers were desperate for a win and Bobby Reid got them on their way when he headed the ball home on 26 minutes before a sensational left-footed strike from Aina four minutes later, with both goals assisted by Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Aina has admitted that his right foot is stronger than his left but he has beeen working on his weaker foot and he got the reward for the practice he has put in with a thunderbolt from just outside the box.

Speaking post-match, the Super Eagle told Sky Sports : "Yes, it's my wrong foot but I'm very comfortable.

"I have been working on my left foot and just being able to play on it, be comfortable so it comes as second nature to me."

Former England U19 captain Aina, who started his career as a winger, has been deployed mostly as a left-back for the Super Eagles, including at last year's Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, where he acted as cover for the injured Jamilu Collins.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37899

WhiteJC

Ream and Robinson earn US international call-ups

Fulham defenders Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson have been named in the United States international squad for their upcoming friendlies against Wales and Austria.

Ream, who has made five league appearances this year for Fulham, is in line to win his 41st senior international cap if he is included in the starting line-up for either of the fixtures. The experienced centre back has featured prominently in the American set-up since a recall a couple of years ago, although he is likely to find regular game time at club level more difficult to come by after being replaced in the starting line-up by new arrivals Tosin Adarabioyo and Joachim Andersen.

Left back Robinson has won seven senior caps for the States and caught the eye with an energetic display in Fulham's first league win of the season last night against West Bromwich Albion. The 23 year-old recently displaced play-off hero Joe Bryan in Scott Parker's side and had a hand in the first goal last night, producing a beautiful cross for Aleksandar Mitrovic.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/11/ream-and-robinson-earn-us-international-call-ups/

WhiteJC

Five Thoughts: Fulham 2-0 West Bromwich Albion
Three points, a clean sheet and nothing but good vibes, that's what Fulham's crunch victory over West Bromwich Albion is all about. We've been waiting patiently for Scott Parker's men to explode into action in the Premier League and on Monday, with Bonfire Night in the near distance, we were treated to a top-flight cracker.

The Baggies had reason to be optimistic before kick-off. With three points on the board, an away win in SW6 would hoist them out of the drop zone, however the Whites also had a score to settle. The visitors rattled the crossbar and fired wide of the mark by a matter of inches in the first half, but they were powerless in their futile quest to salvage reward, as Fulham came to life.

Every meeting will test Fulham and push them to their limits, and I'm under no false illusion that this win, as pleasing as it may be, is the answer to our woes. We've a troublesome road ahead in the coming weeks, a segment of games where we will befall hardship as well as fortuity but for now, we've earned the right to bask in the glow of this big, big dub. Sitting pretty in 17th, come on you Whites!

Hunting in Packs
Blood-thirsty, befittingly after Halloween, Fulham morphed into a new, frightening beast on the banks of the Thames against Slaven Bilic's endangered Baggies and the fast-flowing, cutthroat potential this squad possesses finally came to light. From start to finish, back to front, flank to flank, the Whites were enchanting and as West Brom mustered the courage to retaliate, we only tightened our grip. Screws turned, scruffs clenched, no resistive power imaginable could prevent the hosts from claiming three points and a first shut out of the season. Like evil villains glued to the crystal ball, we cackled as Parker's crazed cohort prayed upon our guests' distress, a rampantly satisfying torture, cruelly devised.

Hunting in packs, penning West Brom into corners with no escape, Fulham executed their forceful game plan with paramount perfection. Mario Lemina's eyes were fixed firmly on progression, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa – barring the odd unruly pass here and there – tampered with the visitors' composition and Tom Cairney's ingenuity was unrivalled. We'll laud TC's enterprise further in a little while, honest, but the engine room, as it should be, was the catalyst behind our offensive obsession, and once Harrison Reed entered the fray, our middle third was locked and secured whilst tolerating West Brom's malleable advancements. Defence coincided with midfield, midfield collaborated with attack, and with a unified understanding between each department, Fulham were too hot to handle.

That undying brand of attitude and firmness of purpose will alter our fortunes greatly as the campaign thickens. If we oppose every game from now on with the hungry, insatiable application we exhibited, we have a fighting chance in this division. Without getting too carried away, as it is only a triumph against fellow relegation elects West Brom, that 90 minutes was still very much worthy of the Barclay's, and each point, every singular shred belief is crucial. Despite what the critics and pundits say, there's life in this bedevilled club of ours and the quality within our ranks is equipped and prepared to draw swords against the very best. Prolonging the positivity is the only factor that will hold this camp back, but now we have solid grounds to build upon.

Mitro, the Creator
In one way or another, Aleksandar Mitrovic's presence will attract goals. He didn't beat Sam Johnstone himself, although he was convincingly involved in both of Fulham's first-half strikes and while his primary purpose is to bulge nets, his secondary duty is to supply, it seems. Midway through the opening 45, Mitro greeted Antonee Robinson's tempting cross from the left and he unselfishly hung a back-stick assist for Bobby Decordova-Reid's nodded opener. Interlinking with BDR on the parameter of the penalty area, the Serb served Ola Aina with a deft dab, and the Nigeria international rounded off the move with deadly acuteness. Two assists, that's an invaluable return for the hitman and it proves that he's more than just an arrow in the crossbow.

He won't have things all his own way this season, more often than not he'll meet his physical equivalent, but he's growing with that circumstantial challenge. He's grafting harder in order to guard the ball and that enables our system to construct meaningful sequences in the final third. Without a credible target man, we cannot establish ourselves as a genuine threat and his output, as common place as it may appear to the naked eye, set us apart from the Baggies when it mattered. Branislav Ivanovic and Semi Ajayi got touch tight and Mitro set pre-mediated traps, luring West Brom's defence into vulnerability.

Harry Kane, revered for his deadly exploits, is now Tottenham Hotspur's provider in chief and Mitro', cut from similar material, was the stitching between each vital instance that smothered the Baggies. He's due a prolific flurry, a striker of his calibre will suddenly stumble into form and though he's snatched at open opportunities in recent meetings, his relevance is prevalent and he's developing into an auxiliary playmaker, as he takes an impromptu break from the starring role. That, ladies and gentlemen, is not good news for the rest of the top-flight, because we now have an indomitable hitman with a refined perception of motive.

Fullbacks' Premier Impact
Throw down the red carpet for Aina and Robinson, if you please. Both fullbacks performed admirably along the right and left respectively, holding Grady Diangana and Matheus Pereira under close quarantine, leaving no guesses as to who were the premier duo on show. A prototype of what's to come, both need to improve in certain aspects although early signs are reassuring, because they're happy to commit themselves, taking full responsibility for their actions defensively and offensively.

Robinson manufactured another MOTM performance along the left, efficient and merciless, and his relationship with Ademola Lookman is becoming systematic. The 23-year-old has the pace and athleticism to prosper and he's keeping Joe Bryan out of the starting XI, which is testament to the desire and promise within the USMT representative. He's sensible in possession and supportive wherever required and his intimidating yield suppressed the Baggies' opposite numbers. He's rich in footballing intelligence and his final product's a wholesale hit.

We now turn our attention to Aina, who bounced back following a subpar afternoon against Crystal Palace nine days prior. Defensively, Aina's the weaker of the two but like Robinson, his work-rate is commendable and that atones for ultra-fine inadequacies. Moving forward, he's making a nuisance of himself and as he's perceived to be a winger by trade, sporadic offensive flare is a feature of his game. When you can spank a ball as viciously as he did on the half-hour mark, why be modest? It was intentional, from the moment he steadied himself his laces were trembling and now he's opened his account, I'm expecting even more investment from the former Chelsea prospect. There's plausible balance along the channels and we're becoming a stubborn outfit to break down and resist as a result.

Cairney's Finest Form
Oh, what a delightful sight to behold, Cairney picking the ball up in oncoming traffic and navigating out of one-way streets swiftly and effectively. Aspersions have rightfully been cast over skipper's dedication, he drifts in and out of form so regularly we forget just how spectacular he is but TC got back to what he does best in some style. The Baggies couldn't contain his eagerness to engineer, he was sharp and aware, and for what it's worth the 29-year-old – when he's in his stimulating element – is low-key the best No.10 this division has to offer. No bias intended, but only we can truly appreciate his unique aptitude and we're inclined to rave about it as and when we deem necessary.

Side shuffling swapped for clinical incision, his input split the divide between mastery and mediocrity. Settling and initiating the tempo with seamless precision, the game's entirety was inspected and approved by the overlooked Scotland international and his influence was enduring. Jake Livermore reverted to cynical lunges, Conor Gallagher wished he was back in Cobham and Filip Krovinović couldn't reflect our trend setter's bold dynamism. Poetic, symbolic of his artistry, Cairney produced some of his finest work on an occasion that demanded perfection.

Fancy footwork, practical insertions with the ball at his feet, TC clearly enjoyed himself within the centre of the park and like a proud parent, we revel in it. Amid the craftsmanship, he nearly lodged a third for Fulham with a sculpted effort, but it was not to be. The standout performer, Cairney reigned supreme and was virtually untouchable with various flicks, nudges and pirouettes, all expertly implemented to his side's benefit. As part of a double pivot, he's wasted. As a free-formed protagonist behind Mitro, Cairney writes his own script and plays by his own self-inclusive rules.

Andersen's Assured Debut
Propped up on the sofa with a flexicast, taking in last week's Champions League offerings, Joachim Andersen's social media posts suggested that the Danish centre-half would be out of action for at least a few more weeks yet, although to our delight, we witnessed the strapping 24-year-old make his Premier League bow alongside Tosin Adarabioyo and now we're baying for his next appearance to grace our screens. Defensive frailties have tormented our overall performances of late, although with Andersen banishing impending disasters with an elite sense of authority, Fulham held firm to record a highly coveted and confidence boosting clean sheet.

Ruthless in 50/50s, despite his debatable fitness status, practical with the ball in his custody and willing to lump it clear when necessary, Andersen did all that expected from a centre-back, without being needlessly expressive and excessive. For pace, he was caught out, but we can excuse that because he's obviously not 100% and his positional consciousness ultimately halted West Brom's counters. Competing against Europe's elite last season for Olympique Lyonnais in the Champions League, that experience is going to pay dividends and if we're destined for a season-long scrap for survival, we can count on the Dane.

Andersen conducted himself bravely in an unknown environment. He and Adarabioyo functioned with stability, reason and as a central pairing, they comprised an ideal blend of grit and guile. Centre-halves have to be comfortable under pressure, whilst asserting their command – Andersen brings both defining attributes to the table, a perfect debut, you could say, and I'm intrigued to see how he adapts to life in the big time after showcasing his exemplary credentials at half of his expected capacity.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-11-03-five-thoughts-fulham-2-0-west-bromwich-albion/

WhiteJC

Stadium Store To Close

In line with new national restrictions, the Stadium Store at Craven Cottage will be closed from Thursday 5th November until Wednesday 2nd December.

The Stadium Store will close from 5pm on Wednesday 4th November and will then remain closed as part of the Government's national lockdown coronavirus measures which come into effect from Thursday 4th November.

Supporters can continue to purchase from our Online Store as we remain committed to delivering all orders as quickly and efficiently as possible, however our click and collect option will no longer be available during this period.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and once again thank all supporters for their understanding during this unprecedented time.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/november/Stadium-Store-To-Close/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up: Bettinelli V Christie + Knockaert

Marcus Bettinelli went head-to-head with Cyrus Christie and Anthony Knockaert on Saturday, as Middlesborough welcomed Nottingham Forest to The Riverside Stadium. Bettinelli recorded his fourth clean sheet in five games and was reliable once again for Neil Warnock's side, who recorded a 1-0 win.

Christie nearly grabbed his second successive assist when he fired in a cross to Miguel Guerrero, but Betts flew off his line bravely to smother after an initial block. Knockaert also came mightily close to an assist for the visitors midway through the second period. His whipped cross was met by Ryan Yates, whose powerful header curled just wide.

Boro have now lost just one of their opening nine league games and sit pretty in fifth. They're in action on Tuesday evening as they travel to face Blackburn Rovers. Forest have had a difficult start to the season and are fourth from bottom but will look to reverse their form on Wednesday when they host Coventry City.

Marlon Fossey remained an unused substitute on Saturday for League One side Shrewsbury Town, who were on the wrong end of a 5-1 thrashing against current table-toppers Peterborough United. The Shrews will have a chance to bounce back on Tuesday evening when they host strugglers Burton Albion.

Maidenhead United moved up to fourth in the Conference Premier on Saturday after a 3-1 win over Solihull Moors. Our shot-stopper Taye Ashby-Hammond was busy in the first half, having to make a number of smart saves to dig his teammates out of trouble.

Timmy Abraham and Jerome Opoku were not in action over the weekend for Plymouth Argyle, with their opponents Accrington Stanley recording a number of positive Covid-19 tests. The Pilgrims are back in action on Tuesday, with Swindon Town their next challenge.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/november/Loan-Round-Up-Bettinelli-V-Christie-Knockaert/