watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 10/11/20...

Started by WhiteJC, November 09, 2020, 03:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chelsea legend Pat Nevin argues that his missed penalty was WORSE than Ademola Lookman's fluffed panenka - and says the 1984 pea-roller deserves the crown of worst spot-kick of ALL-TIME

Ademola Lookman has come under fire for a poor attempt at a panenka penalty
    The Fulham winger's effort against West Ham was easily saved in the last minute
    But Chelsea icon Pat Nevin believes his failed spot-kick in 1984 was far worse
    Nevin's spot kick against Man City was straight at the keeper and lacked power

Ademola Lookman's woeful attempt at a panenka penalty for Fulham has opened the debate over which is the worst spot kick ever.

But Chelsea legend Pat Nevin believes he deserves to keep the crown for the most poorly executed penalty for his effort against Manchester City in 1984 - joking that it was 'unacceptable slander' to put Lookman's kick above his.

Lookman, on loan at Craven Cottage from RB Leipzig this season, had the perfect chance to snatch a point for the Whites in the last minute of the game against West Ham on Saturday, with his side losing 1-0, but opted for trickery as he tried the signature chipped penalty.

Ademola Lookman fluffed an attempt at a panenka penalty for Fulham on Saturday night

There was nowhere for the young winger to hide after fluffing his lines in the last minute

Chelsea legend Pat Nevin insists his failed spot kick for the Blues in 1984 was still far worse

But the 23-year-old's gambled backfired spectacularly as West Ham keeper Lukasz Fabianksi failed to be deceived and saved with ease as the lofted kick lacked any power or height.

He was slammed on social media by fans and also came under fire from his manager Scott Parker as he missed the chance to earn a crucial point in Fulham's relegation battle. But Nevin waded into the argument to stress that it was nowhere near as bad as his effort.   

The 57-year-old wrote in a tweet: 'I'm so offended some people suggested the Lookman penalty was worse than mine for Chelsea v Man City! Unacceptable slander. His reached the keeper. Surely I can keep the worst ever crown. Pleeeeeease.'

Nevin stepped up to take a spot kick against Man City but his effort was weak and easily saved

Nevin stepped up to take a spot kick after City goalkeeper Alex Williams felled a Blues player in the box. But the former winger was far too relaxed and barely gave himself a run up.

Chelsea's No.7 initially stepped back before coming forwards to touch the ball and standing behind it - eventually opting to tap it into the far corner, with Williams easily catching it to his left and leaving everyone in the stadium bemused.

Lookman's disastrous kick led to a flood of criticism, with one stunned fan questioning whether the shocking spot kick was the worst penalty of all time.

'And in the 97th minute,' they boggled. 'What is he thinking?'

Another asked: 'Who takes a penalty this way with the last kick of the game? A kick that should have earned a point.'

Lookman is consoled by his team-mates after his costly miss consigned Fulham to defeat

Parker was critical of Lookman after the game but tipped the 23-year-old to bounce back

Parker was left fuming after the game, admitting 'you have to score' if you take the risk of trying a panenka.

'I think at the moment it's so raw,' he said. 'My emotions are one of disappointment, anger a little bit.

'I'm not going to shirk away from the penalty miss. I'm angry and he is as well. You just can't miss a penalty like that. If you take one like that, you have to score.

'He knows that. When you're young, you have to learn quickly. The boy has made a mistake, that's clear.

'He's disappointed, and rightly so. Everyone can miss penalties, of course - but in a certain way.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8928923/Chelsea-legend-Pat-Nevin-claims-missed-penalty-WORSE-Ademola-Lookmans-fluffed-panenka.html

WhiteJC

Ref Watch: What is the new handball law?

Should Leicester and Manchester City have been awarded penalties for handball? Why was Patrick Bamford's 'goal' disallowed? Was John McGinn's first-minute strike wrongly ruled out?

Ruben Neves voices his disapproval at referee Anthony Taylor on Sunday

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher is back to assess the controversial decisions from around the Premier League...

Dermot joined Rob Wotton on Sky Sports News to review the big decisions...

Leicester 1-0 Wolves
INCIDENT: Leicester are awarded a penalty for handball against Max Kilman. Wolves feel hard done by after Dennis Praet's cross hit Kilman's forearm from point-blank range.

VERDICT: Incorrect decision - no penalty.

DERMOT SAYS: "I looked at it and thought, 'is his arm in an unnatural position?' He's running, and does he have the chance to react and get his arm out of the way? I would suggest no, because it comes from such a short distance. There was that one given, and there was also the Gomez one given and I think both were very harsh.

"What I would say is that it was the stance taken over the weekend for whatever reason."

Neville's handball verdict
Speaking on the Gary Neville Podcast:

"If you're a full-back, my job is to block the cross. My number one job in my day was to stop the cross.

"You had to stop that cross with your life, and that meant you'd throw everything at it, your body, which means your arm comes away from your side.

"Defenders like Colin Hendry, John Terry, Steve Bruce were the same, quite often it would bounce off their knee into their arm... every single time now they'd be giving penalties away. But this is great defending! Because you are in desperate mode to stop that ball going into the back of your net.

"There has to be an element of compromise with natural position, your natural position changes. If a ball is hit at you from three yards, it cannot be deliberate. You don't have time for it to be deliberate."

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool
INCIDENT: Manchester City are awarded a penalty on the same afternoon as a similar incident to Leicester's first penalty involving Kilman as Kevin De Bruyne's cross is deemed to have hit the outstretched arm of Liverpool defender Joe Gomez.

VERDICT: Incorrect decision - no penalty.

DERMOT SAYS: "On both accounts, I don't think either Kilman nor Gomez have enough time to react and avoid being hit by the ball. The ball has come so fast and from such a close distance, so I was very surprised both were given. What I would say is that it's easier to move on when both referees are making the same decision."

What is the new handball law?
DERMOT SAYS: "The Joel Ward incident [Everton were awarded a penalty against Crystal Palace for handball] triggered a slight amendment to the 'silhouette definition' we saw before then that anything outside the line of the body was punished.

"It was a hard and fast rule with no exceptions. Following that weekend, it seemed to be that there was this notion of if the arm was in a natural position at that point of play - thinking of the Victor Lindelof handball awarded against Palace - I feel both the two at the weekend fall within that category.

"Both have taken the stance that the arms are out, and it's a chance to look at it over the international break. The referees can discuss whether they need to raise their tolerance a little bit more to identify how far and fast the ball has travelled and whether it's a natural running motion. I feel that's where we are at this point."

Current handball law
It was agreed on October 1 that Premier League match officials would slightly amend their interpretation of handball, after it was discussed at a Shareholders meeting between all 20 clubs.

More emphasis will now be put on what a player's "expected" arm position is when the ball strikes him, and the time they have to react. The "softened approach" has applied since matchweek 4.

In determining whether or not a handball should be penalised the following factors will be considered:

Position of the arm
• Where the arm is in an expected position given player's action
• This includes where the arms are clearly used for balance and/or protection it is less likely to be penalised
• The arms may be outside the player's bodyline and may not be penalised

Ability to react
• Where it is clear that the player does not have the ability to react

Direct shot at goal
• Whether the contact with the arm clearly blocks a direct shot towards the goal

Carragher's handball verdict
Jamie Carragher told Sky Sports:

"Everything looks more obvious in slow motion, of course it does. IFAB seem to be making a mess of the handball rule now, and it's not taken into account situations in a game with any context. There's definitely a big problem, not just with handball but with VAR in general.

"We all feel a lot happier this season because the referees are going to the monitor, but it's made absolutely no difference. Only one referee has stuck with his decision having been sent to a monitor, and that referee made an absolute mess of it.

"As soon as they get sent there, they always change the decision, so it's no different to whether the referee goes and has a look or VAR tells him he's made a mistake.

"One decision in how many? We must be close to 40 or 50 times now where a referee has gone to a monitor and only one time they've stuck with the decision. That doesn't feel right because the referees aren't then going and given their own opinions, they can't be."

Crystal Palace 4-1 Leeds
INCIDENT: Patrick Bamford is denied an equaliser for Leeds after collecting Mateusz Klich's pass and lifting his shot over Vicente Guaita. His feet are in an onside position but his arm - pointing where he wants the ball to be played - is beyond the last Palace defender.

Leeds have contacted the Premier League and PGMOL to ask them to clarify the offside rule following Bamford's disallowed goal.

VERDICT: Unclear.

DERMOT SAYS: "You can argue with me all day about it and I'm not going to defend it. I'm not going to back it but all I can say is, on the day, with what the VAR had at his disposal, that's where he drew the lines, that's the image he had, that's the decision he took.

"That's all I can tell you. I can't justify it; I can't say it's wrong or it's right. Others will judge. I don't know where Sakho was standing precisely but that's what was available and that's what he made his decision on.

"I'm not a technician in the VAR room. I've been quite open and transparent and said I think it's a really tough call. There's no doubt about that. What I would say is whichever way he called it, you are going to unravel it. There's no doubt about that.

"I've only got to look back at the media from the last 24 hours. Not many people are happy about it but that's what the VAR had to make the decision. I never once said it was clear and obvious. The images given to the VAR were the best he had available at that time, and that's what he had to make his decision from. It's the image he had, that's where the line was drawn. He made the decision that it was offside.

"I'm not backing it, I'm not decrying it but I have to live with it. I may not like it but that's what he had and that's what he did." To the VAR, that picture told him it was offside, that's why it was given.

Neville's offside verdict
Speaking on the Gary Neville Podcast:

"It is a nonsense. And it's not VAR. Offside is more consistent than it has ever been before, and you would argue that decision-making is more consistent than ever before.

"And VAR is getting blamed for what I believe is a couple of rule applications. The handball rule is the nonsense, not VAR. The way in which offsides are measured is a nonsense, not the VAR.

"I think we've actually got something pretty good. We're actually getting consistency, but it's a couple of rule changes, with respects to handball, and the offside drawing the line down the arm.

"We don't want to see it. Fans don't want to see it. Coaches don't want to see it. Players don't. Commentators don't. So let's get rid of it, because the game doesn't want to see it.

"Nobody wants to see a player have the ball hit against him from three yards away give a pen away because he can't react in time.

"There's a demand from fans, overwhelmingly, that we don't like this part of the game. And they have to react to this. FIFA, UEFA, the FA - other organisations - they have to come together and say let's change it, let's move it back.

"This is universally disliked. The referees don't like it! I actually think VAR has improved this season, I like referees going to the monitor to have the power, but it's the rules that need changing."

Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa
INCIDENT: Aston Villa think they have taken the lead inside the opening minute when John McGinn finishes beyond Bernd Leno. But upon review, the goal is disallowed by referee Martin Atkinson after being told by VAR David Coote to consult his pitchside monitor. Replays showed Ross Barkley may have been standing in Leno's line of vision.

VERDICT: Correct decision - offside.

DERMOT SAYS: This is 100 per cent right. Not only is Barkley in line with Leno, but he actually jumps as well. Leno would have seen him in his eyeline. Some people have said he wouldn't have saved it anyway, but without doubt he has interfered with his vision.

West Ham 1-0 Fulham
INCIDENT: Tomas Soucek's 91st-minute winner is allowed to stand despite Sebastien Haller standing in an offside position during the first phase of play with the ball played into the Fulham box towards the Frenchman. Haller is still standing in an offside position when Soucek's shot beats Alphonse Areola.

VERDICT: Correct decision - goal.

DERMOT SAYS: VAR checked it as they check every goal, and there's a small anomaly in the law there as when the ball is played towards Haller, even though he jumps for the ball, it's so far above his head that he's deemed not to be interfering with play as he can't play that ball.

"It's impossible for him to play it because of the height of the cross. It's perhaps one of the few times that the law works in the forward's favour. Once the defender heads it out, the ball is still in play. As it gets returned back, Haller was in an onside position."

Everton 1-1 Manchester United
INCIDENT: Jordan Pickford spills Juan Mata's free-kick under pressure from Harry Maguire before the Manchester United defender goes to ground after colliding with the Everton goalkeeper and Michael Keane. Maguire knees the ball over and a goal-kick is awarded.

VERDICT: Correct decision - no penalty.

DERMOT SAYS: "I didn't think it was a penalty because even if the referee had initially given a spot-kick, I'm 100 per cent convinced that the VAR would have overturned it for a push by Maguire on Pickford. The push definitely makes him lose the ball in the air."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12128357/ref-watch-what-is-the-new-handball-law

WhiteJC

Premier League clubs 'to block return to five subs' despite Liverpool and Man Utd demands

There has been mounting pressure to re-introduce the five substitutions rule due to the hectic fixture schedule and growing concerns about players' physical and mental welfare

Many Premier League clubs reportedly remain firmly opposed to re-introducing the five substitutions rule despite mounting pressure from certain 'Big Six' sides.

Five changes were allowed per team as football returned in Project Restart last summer, as top-flight chiefs aimed to lessen the burden on players after the lengthy lay-off during lockdown.

However, clubs voted against continuing the rule ahead of the current campaign, with claims it would give top sides with greater depth an advantage.

Given recent injuries to big-name stars and the packed fixture schedule, there have been a growing number of calls to allow five substitutions per match.

Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are among the 'Big Six' managers to voice their concerns about player welfare.

Nonetheless, many Premier League clubs remain in opposition to the rule, according to the Daily Mail , which adds any mid-season change is highly unlikely.

In order for five substitutions to be re-introduced, at least 14 of the 20 clubs would need to vote in favour of the change at a meeting of Premier League stakeholders.

United boss Solskjaer has regularly criticised United's hectic scheduled and called for more than the regular three substitutions to be allowed after his side's 3-1 victory at Everton on Saturday.

"One hundred per cent," Solskjaer said when asked if he would support five substitutions. "I don't understand and I cannot believe the vote went against because we have to look after the players.

"We have to think about the players. This season is the most demanding season of all.

"I can see the point why clubs voted against but if you take a step back and think about these professional footballers and their mental and physical health the only sensible solution would have been to give us the opportunity to rest a few more.

"We have already seen a lot of injuries in the Premier League. I would have liked to have five subs."

Meanwhile, Guardiola says the five substitutions rule was the main topic of conversation as he talked with Liverpool manager Klopp after the 1-1 draw on Sunday.

The City boss said: "We didn't speak about the result. We spoke about how we need to fight again and again for five substitutions.

"Look, an international England player, Trent Alexander-Arnold, he's injured. All around the world, there are five substitutions.

"But here we believe we are more special people and [use] just three players. We don't protect the players.

"That's why it's a disaster with this calendar. I will demand, if the people allow my voice, to come back with five substitutions.

"It will help the players, the managers and everywhere to do it. If not it's difficult to sustain it."

Liverpool right-back Alexander-Arnold was forced off with a calf injury just after the hour mark, while later on Sunday Arsenal star Thomas Partey was substituted at half-time with a calf injury.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-five-subs-22981557

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ademola Lookman has the confidence and resilience to recover from his Panenka penalty miss

Penalty horror should not dampen striker's confidence or freedom for Fulham

Shocker | Ademola Lookman reacts after his botched penalty against West Ham / Getty Images

Ademola Lookman has not often doubted himself in tough times.

There have been a few difficult moments on his journey from playing Sunday league football as a teenager to joining Charlton, sealing a dream Premier League move and then going on a Bundesliga adventure.

The 23-year-old has always had to be tough since playing against older kids in cages in south London and he will need some of that steel after his failed Panenka against West Ham.

Lookman pulled his shirt over his head in embarrassment after his tame chip into the arms Lukasz Fabianski with the last kick of the match cost Fulham a point.

He later offered an apology on Twitter and a defiant: "I will not let one failure hold me back." He will need to show plenty of resilience to get through what are sure to be some dark moments over the coming weeks.

The winger made it into the professional game the hard way. He was playing Sunday league football for Waterloo FC until he was 16 when he was spotted by Charlton. In a trial match for a south London XI, organised by the FA, at Charlton's training ground in 2013 he caught the eye of the Addicks and was invited to train with their youth team and play in a match. He scored four goals, signed his first contract and was in the first-team two years later.

Lookman soon caught the eye at the Valley and joined Everton for £11million in 2017. After a dramatic Premier League debut in which he came off the bench to score against Manchester City, he struggled to establish himself at Goodison Park and spent 18 months on loan in Germany at RB Leipzig before joining Fulham on loan over the summer.

When faces setbacks, Lookman often returns to his roots to speak to two of the men who know him better than most - Des and Felix, two men who coached him from the age of 11 to 16 while he was playing for Waterloo FC.

"Them reminding me what I have is always refreshing," Lookman said in an interview with the Guardian last year. "Even if there's that second of doubt where you're saying, 'I'm not too sure', they're always like: 'No, no, no, we didn't start off [playing football] to doubt ourselves, we do it properly, we do it because we back ourselves no matter what the situation is.'"

Scott Parker was left angry after the West Ham game but he knows he and the Fulham squad must rally around Lookman, who has been a silver lining for the Cottagers in the what has been a difficult start to the season.

Lookman knows he made a mistake. But his spark, skill and unpredictability was what attracted Fulham to him so they must not try to remove that from his game now.

Since his switch to Craven Cottage, and across most of the 97 minutes before his penalty against West Ham, Lookman has brought a different dimension to a Fulham forward line which has relied too heavily a burden on Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Lookman's care-free and confident approach to football, encouraged by Julian Nagelsmann and now Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl during his time in Germany, is what makes him the player he is, and Parker must continue to encourage it.

"Showboating in a team that is near the bottom isn't a good look," warned Peter Crouch, who himself fluffed a Panenka for England, said in his column in the Daily Mail on Monday.

Expressing himself is what Lookman was signed for, perhaps just not with the final kick of the game. Parker, who wants to build his side around mentality, character and hard work, must marry his freedom with an efficient, ruthless streak.

It is something all the best strikers come to understand, moments of brilliance can get you in front of goal with a fine chance but it is the basics which convert them. Saturday might well have been enough to cement that notion in Lookman's mind.

"Ade has had a steep learning curve tonight," said Parker. "We will get around him. And we will move on. He will, too."

Lookman will unfortunately be left to stew on his error over what will be an excruciating international break.

He should not lose his swagger or confidence to try things on the ball. But maybe next time just smash the penalty straight down the middle.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-ademola-lookman-penalty-panenka-confidence-resilience-to-recover-b60627.html

WhiteJC

Marlon Fossey sidelined

Sam Ricketts confirms Marlon Fossey is due to be sidelined for a number of months.

Shrewsbury Town can confirm Marlon Fossey has temporarily returned to Fulham to undergo injury rehabilitation.

Sam Ricketts revealed earlier today that Town's right-back, Marlon Fossey has been dealt a setback with a knee injury that could see him out of action for two to three months.

"Marlon has returned to Fulham," said Sam. "They will be assessing him from there and taking over the initial bit of rehabilitation.

"We're still waiting on the diagnosis, but it's certainly looking like it will be at least two to three months depending on the surgical opinion."

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2020/november/marlon-fossey-sidelined/

WhiteJC

Marlon Fossey to begin rehab at Fulham as Shrewsbury defender set to miss two to three months

Marlon Fossey will begin his rehabilitation back at parent club Fulham after the Shrewsbury Town full-back was ruled out at least two months.

Marlon Fossey was forced off early into the second half against Burton last week and will miss a couple of months (AMA)

The USA youth international had been a regular at right-back in Sam Ricketts' team this season but limped off with a knee injury early in the second half of last Tuesday's draw against Burton.

Fossey, 22, was sent for a scan towards the end of last week and Town are still waiting on the opinion of specialists but he is set to miss between two and three months.

The California-born Fulham full-back has previously been troubled by serious knee injury.

Ricketts said: "Marlon's returned to Fulham and they'll be assessing him and taking over the initial bit of his rehabilitation.

"We're still waiting on the exact diagnoses but he's going to be between two or three months at least depending on the surgical opinion."

Ricketts confirmed the defender's loan has not been terminated. Fossey has made nine appearances so far for Town in what has been a breakthrough season.

"He's got huge physical attributes, he's good on the ball and has an awful lot going for himself," Ricketts said.

"He's as disappointed as anyone with this knock. You won't meet many lads as keen as him to play and live his life, do everything right for football.

"It's a devastating blow for him but he'll have got a lot out of the games he's played already in terms of his development and he just needs to make himself ready so when he is back he is ready to go again."

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/11/09/marlon-fossey-to-begin-rehab-at-fulham-as-shrewsbury-defender-set-to-miss-two-to-three-months/

WhiteJC

"As I feared..." – National team manager explains Fulham player's absence after Scott Parker decision

While there was hope that Mario Lemina would be part of the Gabon squad for the current international break, the midfielder is unfrotauntely set to sit the next two games out.

Loaned to Fulham for the season by Southampton, the former Juventus man came off at half time in the 2-0 win against West Brom, and Patrice Neveu, the Gabon national team manager, told L'Union last week that his chances of featuring would increase dramatically if he was part of the squad to face West Ham at the weekend.

However, that didn't happen, as Scott Parker decided to leave Lemina out of the game, which the Cottagers ended up losing 1-0.

Speaking once more to L'Union, Neveu gave an update on the situation, providing a little bit of insight into what went on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage as well.

He said: "As I feared, Mario Lemina won't be in the squad. His pain, despite positive MRI results, came back. Not wanting to take any risks, Fulham's coach, Scott Parker, didn't call him up on Saturday against West Ham. He's therefore a forfeit for the double matchup Gabon-Gambia on the 12th and 16th of November".

Born in Libreville in Gabon, Lemina did play for France's U20s and U21s before declaring to play for his home country back in 2015, for whom he has 15 caps to this day, helping them along with two goals.

His last call up was for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against DR Congo and Angola in November 2019.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-feared-national-team-manager-explains-fulham-players-absence-scott-parker-decision/

WhiteJC

Offside and handball laws labelled "abject nonsense" as IFAB chief David Elleray blasted

Former referees' chief Keith Hackett has blasted the latest intepretations of the law, made by former Premier League referee David Elleray, now technical director of IFAB

Former referees' chief Keith Hackett believes the offside and handball laws require "major surgery" and slow-motion VAR replays should be banned to avoid more baffling decisions.

A string of incidents over the weekend started with Leeds striker Patrick Bamford having a goal ruled out for offside for pointing where he wanted the ball played and ended with contentious handball awards against Wolves and Liverpool.

The Bamford ruling was made on the basis the upper part of his arm was beyond the last defender – the so-called 'T-shirt sleeve' interpretation referring to the part of the limb from which a goal can be scored – although even the drawing of virtual lines was barely conclusive.

"Really poor for football. VAR is trying to find excuses for its use," former referee and ex-head of Professional Game Match Officials Limited Hackett told the PA news agency.

"If you hold your arm out pointing there is a lot of arm and the shoulder hardly becomes a scoring point unless it is facing the ball and deflects off it.

"Ultimately it is a very bad decision however you look at it.

"If anyone who plays, watches, owns a club or whatever agrees the Bamford goal is the right decision they should give up football.

"A Leeds fan emailed me to say, 'What do you think?' and I emailed back and said, 'It is not offside, it should be a goal'.

"He came back later in the day and said, 'I switched it off and missed the Leeds goal I was so unhappy with the decision'.

"The offside law and handball law both require major surgery.

"What David Elleray, technical director of IFAB (the International Football Association Board, the body that determines the laws of the game), came up with is abject nonsense and no-one is buying into it."

The handball ruling came under scrutiny after Wolves' Max Kilman and Liverpool's Joe Gomez were both struck on the arm at close range as they ran back towards their own goal.

Premier League amended guidance issued after the start of the season referenced the "expected arm position", pointed out that "arms may be outside the player's body and may not be penalised" and made mention of "where is is clear the player does not have time to react".

At least two of those points, if not all three, could be applied in the cases of Kilman and Gomez, yet referees Anthony Taylor and Craig Pawson both decided to award penalties after reviewing slow-motion video footage on the pitchside monitor.

"What we have here is the initial nonsense to penalise an accidental handball," added Hackett.

"In the Liverpool case there was a stronger argument to give it, but I am still unhappy they are not taking into account the hand and arm movements of a player who is running.

"They (referees) start looking at it on the screen in slow-mo and the incident looks worse, as it always does.

"This weekend Anthony Taylor, one our best referees, looks at that incident in slow motion and that is not right, totally unfair, and should not not be allowed.

"I think with real time it would have shown him the speed at which the ball was kicked, the distance travelled and the inability to move out of the way.

"That is a process I'm not happy with and I don't think it helps football."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/offside-handball-var-ifab-elleray-22983256

WhiteJC

'An embarrassment' – Former Fulham and West Ham star can't believe Lookman's stupidity

With Fulham having conceded an injury time equaliser at West Ham, their luck in being handed a 98th minute penalty reprieve shouldn't have been passed up.

Unfortunately for Scott Parker and his players, Ademola Lookman's idea of gamesmanship completely backfired on him.

As the west Londoners looked to grab a valuable point, Lookman took it upon himself to try a Panenka penalty which didn't even get as far as the goal, so poor was the execution.

t's left former Fulham left-back, Paul Konchesky, raging.

"Lookman is an embarrassment," he said to CaughtOffside.

"I can't believe what he's tried when you're near the bottom. The manager will bite his head off if I know Scotty. You put the ball in the corner, you blast it. It didn't even reach the goal. I'd be ashamed of myself."

The visitors' disappointment won't be shared by their east London counterparts who are playing brilliantly at this point.

Their form over the last few weeks has shown the board in particular that in the right set of circumstances, David Moyes is still a Premier League manager to be reckoned with.

A disastrous spell at Manchester United notwithstanding, the Scot has surely built up enough credit in the game thanks to his stint at Everton.

That's where the Hammers should aspire to according to Konchesky.

"Moyes has got the players in the team that he wanted to get in the team, and the work ethic all over the pitch is great," he continued.

"They're solid in the back line and the midfield three, and there's no reason why he can't get them going in the same way he did with Everton a few years ago."

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/11/09/an-embarrassment-former-fulham-and-west-ham-star-cant-believe-lookmans-stupidity/

filham

Enough has been said about that penalty let us put it to bed and help our best attacking player to develop his game to our advantage.

alfie

Quote from: filham on November 10, 2020, 09:54:41 AM
Enough has been said about that penalty let us put it to bed and help our best attacking player to develop his game to our advantage.
:plus one:
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't