watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (02/12/10)

Started by WhiteJC, December 02, 2010, 07:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334925/Philippe-Senderos-set-make-January-debut-Fulham.html?

Philippe Senderos set to make January debut for Fulham as Swiss defender steps up rehab

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos is on course to make his debut next month after stepping up his recovery from achilles surgery.

Summer signing Senderos was ruled out for six months after rupturing the tendon while on international duty with Switzerland, days before the Barclays Premier League season began.

Waiting almost over: Senderos is making good progress as he battles back

The 25-year-old told the club's official website: 'The cast is off now, and I'm walking without crutches again which feels great.
'The rehabilitation is going well and I'm on schedule, which is pleasing. I know I will be back, and stronger than ever.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334925/Philippe-Senderos-set-make-January-debut-Fulham.html#ixzz16xIW5U5t

WhiteJC

http://www.carpages.co.uk/seat/seat-02-12-10.asp?

SEAT Becomes Official Car Supplier For Fulham Football Club

Underlining its continuing commitment to support British and European football, SEAT has announced its appointment as official car supplier to Premier League team Fulham.

The two-year deal will see SEAT supply the West London club with a number of vehicles for use by various departments.

A variety of new SEAT models feature in the deal including the luxurious SEAT Exeo saloon, accomplished SEAT Exeo ST and capacious new seven-seat SEAT Alhambra MPV.

SEAT is an increasingly well-known name in football circles thanks to a host of UK and European sponsorships, most notably its three-year UEFA Europa League agreement which sees the Spanish brand grab the limelight as presenting sponsor of the pan-European tournament.

Here in the UK, SEAT has been proudly associated with a number of Premier League sides. This year has also seen the staging of the inaugural SEAT FIVES tournament to put amateur teams to the test in the quest for the grand prize of a 'money can't buy' VIP trip to Hamburg for the UEFA Europa League Final which took place in May 2011.

The latest deal, with London's oldest top-flight side, sees SEAT link up with a club that can trace its roots back more than 130 years.

Led by charismatic chairman Mohamed Al Fayed the club has a history of big-name players, too. Johnny Haynes, George Cohen, Jimmy Hill, Bobby Robson and George Best are just a few of the legends to have donned the black and white shirt over the decades.

Welcoming the opportunity to forge a new association with Fulham FC, SEAT UK's Head of Marketing Steve Robertson said: "This deal fits perfectly with our ongoing mission to develop strong and consistent links with football teams, and their fans.

"We all admired Fulham's exceptional success in the SEAT-sponsored Europa League last season, and I very much hope we'll be seeing more great performances from the Whites as this season progresses."

Fulham Football Club Chief Executive, Alistair Mackintosh, added: "I am delighted to welcome SEAT as Fulham's official car partner.

"The Club has made significant strides since reaching the Europa League final last May which include an associate membership of the esteemed European Club Association. Our partnership with SEAT, a very well-respected European brand, will assist in maintaining Fulham's presence as an established Premier League Club, with European ambitions, to international markets."

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/47619/Humble_City_star_concedes_he_may_have_little_choice.aspx?

Humble City star concedes he may have little choice

Manchester City star Shay Given has conceded he may have to leave Eastlands in January suggesting the form of Joe Hart has given him little choice but to seek a new club.

The Republic of Ireland international has cut a frustrated figure as a perennial substitute under Roberto Mancini, and although the 34-year-old has no shortage of suitors with Arsenal, Fulham, Newcastle United and Manchester United all at times linked with the Premier League star, Given admits it would be very difficult to leave Manchester City.

Having played against Salzburg last night, Given remained unsure about where his immediate future lied but paid tribute to Manchester City and the richly assembled squad brought together since the Abu Dhabi based takeover in 2008. 

Given told Sky Sports: "It's frustrating but there is not a lot I can do – Joe is having a great season,
"Personally, I don't know what my situation is at the moment. I'm at a fantastic club and you don't want to run away from a club with great ambition.

"Who knows where my future lies?

"It's tough for me but it was nice to be playing and to put the shirt on again from a personal point of view.

"I got a good reception from the fans, so it's nice to know they haven't forgotten me.

"I think this squad is as good as any in the Premier League. We've got some great players here and a very strong squad."

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/02/fulham-richards-court-of-appeal?

Fulham to take Richards battle to Court of Appeal
• Cottagers seeking justice over Crouch transfer
• Case could see Sir David Richards ousted as chairman

Fulham's mistrust of English football's arbitration process has been laid bare after they took their fight to oust Sir David Richards as Premier League chairman to the Court of Appeal.

Yesterday saw the club challenge a high court judgment for their dispute with Richards over the July 2009 transfer of Peter Crouch to Tottenham to be settled by arbitration.

Mr Justice Vos had earlier granted Richards and the Premier League a stay on the legal action taken against them by Fulham but gave the latter leave to appeal the verdict, which they confirmed they had done in a statement.

An extract read: "There was a previous high court decision in another case that came to a different conclusion on similar issues. Fulham intends to take its case to the Court of Appeal so that this important issue can be resolved in its favour."

Mr Justice Vos said in his earlier judgment: "The arbitrators will have adequate powers to deal with Fulham's complaint properly, fairly and satisfactorily."

Richards' removal is one of two possible outcomes sought by Fulham, the other being a ban on his involvement in future transfers. They would technically be able to achieve either of those aims in independent arbitration proceedings but failure to convince the courts to hear their case would still be viewed as something of a setback.

The decision of any arbitration process is binding, although the club could attempt to take the matter further if the verdict did not go their way.

Fulham are claiming Richards interfered with their bid to buy the England striker Crouch, who ended up joining Spurs for £9million, £2million less than they were reportedly willing to pay.

Richards allegedly intervened because Tottenham were prepared to offer Portsmouth a lump sum up front at a time when the south-coast club's very existence was under threat, while Fulham were thought to be planning to pay in instalments.

The Cottagers believe Richards broke both Football Association and Premier League rules and failed to act fairly by promoting the interests of one club over another.

Though he accepts he did speak with Portsmouth's then chief executive Peter Storrie – a personal friend – Richards denies he sought to assist Tottenham.

He was cleared of any wrongdoing by a Premier League inquiry but Fulham felt otherwise and called in the lawyers, an unprecedented step from a shareholder club against an organisation's chairman.

If Richards is ousted, it would send shockwaves through the English game. The former Sheffield Wednesday chairman has been Premier League chairman for 11 years and is also vice-chairman of the FA, chairman of Club England and is on the FA's international committee.

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02122010/58/premier-league-match-facts-arsenal-v-fulham.html

Premier League - Match facts: Arsenal v Fulham
Facts and figures ahead of Arsenal's Premier League clash with Fulham at the Emirates Stadium.

Robin van Persie has scored four goals in six Premier League starts against Fulham.

Arsenal have won seven and drawn two of their nine Premier League home games against Fulham.

Fulham have never won away at Arsenal in any competition in 24 matches, losing 21.

Fulham have failed to score in four of the last five Premier League games against Arsenal.

Fulham have won just three of their 43 Premier League London derbies away from home and none of the last 32.

Only one team has ever won the Premier League having lost three times at home, Arsenal in 2001-02.

Arsenal have lost three of their last five Premier League matches at the Emirates.

The Gunners have not lost three home league games in succession since March 1977.

Fulham have won none of their last 25 Premier League away games, only one team has ever had a longer consecutive run in the Premier League (Fulham May 2006-March 2008).

Samir Nasri has scored six goals in his last 10 Premier League appearances for Arsenal.

40% of Fulham's goals have been headers, a higher proportion than any other side.
Opta

White Noise

Youth Cup Magic

Thursday 2nd December 2010

Those in attendance at the Cottage on Wednesday evening for Fulham's Third Round FA Youth Cup tie were certainly entertained as the Whites and West Brom battled out a ten-goal thriller in freezing conditions.

West Brom opened the scoring early and against the run of play but the Whites soon established a three-one lead thanks to goals from Ronnie Minkwitz, Aaron Pierre and Alex Brister. The Baggies had the better for the second-half and Ethan Mannion netted twice to take the game to extra-time.

Marcello Trotta put the Whites back in front only to see his Mannion complete his hat-trick – potentially setting up a penalty shoot-out. However, an impressive late brace from Corey Gameiro took the tie beyond any doubt.

Looking back on the encounter, Youth Team Manager Kit Symons gave his assessment of a dramatic night of football.

"It was certainly quite a lively encounter, defences weren't on top that's for sure," he said. "We were three-one up, in control and playing some really good stuff, but we made life really difficult for ourselves after that. We're just pleased to have got through and be in the hat for the next round.

"West Brom are a good team, we did our homework on them, had them watched a few times and got some good footage. We knew their strengths and weaknesses; we had a game plan, which we executed perfectly for the first 35 minutes. At three-one down, they threw caution to the wind and showed what a good team they are.

"There were a lot of encouraging things to take from the game. It's disappointing that we let that three-one lead go - in general the team that makes the comeback goes on to win the game. But our boys showed real character to get in front and then, after letting in another equaliser, go on and win the game.

"Josh Pritchard was suspended going into the game and we had a few boys just coming back from injury so we were a little bit limited and we had to shuffle things around a bit. We're lucky that we've got a decent squad."

Fulham's central midfield pairing of Ronnie Minkwitz and Cheick Toure certainly proved to be an influential factor, with Minkwitz in particular impressing.

"Ronnie covers every blade of grass," Symons added. "He's a high energy player who gets around the pitch really well. He had a virus recently and he's been running on a half-tank over the past few weeks. But we've been very careful with him and made sure he got his rest – it was just as we'll because he rose really well to the challenge.

"In extra-time we had a few people cramping up but West Brom looked in a lot more trouble than us. I told our boys before extra-time that we are fitter and stronger than them, so if we get back to our game plan, we'll cause them problems – and that's what we started doing."

Corey Gameiro's late brace helped push the Whites over the finish line and Symons was full of praise for his display.

"Corey looked a real threat over the top. It was something different for West Brom to think about, Marcello [Trotta] and Karim [Frei] are very different players. Corey is very aggressive; he stretched them and caused them big problems. He took his goals very well for us.

"Cup football is about getting into the next round. There's easier ways of doing it but I'm delighted, the boys worked their socks off and we're in the draw for the next round so it's all good."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335002/Samir-Nasri-set-face-Fulham-Arsenal-team-mate-Robin-van-Persie-start-bench.html?

Samir Nasri set to face Fulham but Arsenal team-mate Robin van Persie could start on bench

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger expects Samir Nasri to be fit for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash against Fulham, but is unsure whether to hand Robin van Persie his second start of the week.

Midfielder Nasri picked up a minor knee problem after coming on as second-half substitute in the Carling Cup win over Wigan at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.

With captain Cesc Fabregas still sidelined by a hamstring problem, the Frenchman provides a crucial creative spark for the Gunners, now just two points off leaders Manchester United whom they face at Old Trafford on December 13.

However, Wenger admits he may have to be cautious with van Persie after the Dutchman completed 73 minutes against Wigan in what was a first start since the end of August having been sidelined by an ankle injury.

'Nasri has got a knock from Tuesday night. It is a knee problem but he should be all right. Apart from that, we do not have any fresh players injured,' Wenger told Arsenal TV. 'There are no other ins or out.

'Abou Diaby and Thomas Vermaelen are not available. Fabregas is still injured, so it will be a similar squad to the Aston Villa game.'

However, Wenger added: 'I will see how Robin recovers (before deciding whether to start him). I rotate a bit from game to game at the moment, so I will see.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335002/Samir-Nasri-set-face-Fulham-Arsenal-team-mate-Robin-van-Persie-start-bench.html#ixzz16xexSqAo

WhiteJC

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-v-fulham-paddy-power-s-preview?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Arsenal v Fulham - Paddy Power's Preview

The Gunners bounced back well from the disappointing loss to Spurs by handing Aston Villa their first home defeat of the season last weekend. Having had things their own way in the first half, Arsène Wenger's side showed the resolve which sees them hold the best away record in the league to hold off a spirited Villa fight-back. Now Wenger will be keen to get back to winning ways at Emirates Stadium against London rivals Fulham.

The Cottagers have yet to win away from home this season and though they've lost just four games home and away from 15 played, all of those losses have come in their last eight games. A run which has seen them pick up just six points from a possible 24. It's been tough going for Mark Hughes' side and though, apart from a 4-1 defeat to Manchester City, they've managed to be competitive in every game, they're really struggling to score goals. Since Bobby Zamora's injury against Wolves four games in to the season, they've scored more than one goal on just one occasion. With Andy Johnson still struggling with niggling injuries following his long lay-off they're relying on their defence to keep them in games.

This should be an open invitation for Arsenal to go all out in attack. They showed against Villa that the best form of defence is indeed to attack, at least when you have the array of talent at Wenger's disposal. Having started the season with 16 goals in their first three home games in all competitions, things have been a little tighter since. Especially in the Premier League, but if the manager sets them on the offensive from the start they could rack up a few against a struggling Fulham side.

The visitors do have a very dogged defensive style but on the expansive Emirates pitch they could find themselves stretched if Arsenal move the ball quickly and get it out wide as often as possible. The match price of 3/10 is one for the accumulators but Arsenal -1 is a decent 5/6, while if you feel there is a romp on the way Arsenal -2 goals is 23/10 and Arsenal -3 goals is 5/1. 

The pace of Theo Walcott could be very effective down the wings, and if he does start he's well priced at 6/1 to score first. The England international has started just three Premier League games this season but has scored the opening goal in two of them. Samir Nasri is enjoying his best spell since joining the Club and has been one of Arsenal's stand-out performers. He has scored the first goal twice this season and has already equalled his best league total in an Arsenal shirt with six goals in 11 starts. At 5/1 to break the deadlock and 13/10 to score anytime, the French midfielder could continue to be a money-maker.

The form guides say this will be tight, if you agree then Arsenal 1-0 at 6/1 and 2-1 at 7/1 are the bets for you. However, something seemed to click in the second half against Aston Villa and if the home side go for the jugular we could be looking at 4-0 at 12/1 or maybe even 5-0 at 25/1.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/SchwarzerSigns.aspx

Schwarzer Signs Contract Extension

The Club is delighted to confirm that Mark Schwarzer has signed a contract extension with Fulham that will see the Australian international goalkeeper remain at the Cottage until at least the summer of 2012, with an option for a further year.

Schwarzer committed his future to Fulham on Thursday afternoon ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against Arsenal at the Emirates. Since joining Fulham on a free transfer from Middlesbrough in the summer of 2008, Schwarzer has played an integral role in the Club's outstanding recent success.

During his first season at the Club, Schwarzer was voted Fulham's Player of the Season after the Team's most successful ever League season, which saw the Whites end the 2008/09 campaign in seventh place. More success was to follow last season with Schwarzer starring in goal as the Whites reached the Final of the UEFA Europa League in Hamburg.

Schwarzer's consistently outstanding form during his time at Fulham has been recognised by players, fans and pundits alike, with the Australian keeper earning the Barclays Player of the Month Award in February 2010 after recording five clean sheets in eight matches. Schwarzer has earned over 80 caps for Australia and competed in the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Finals.

After extending his contract with the Club on Thursday morning, Mark Schwarzer said:

'I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation surrounding my future in recent months. The Club, Manager and Team have all highlighted their desire to see me stay at the Cottage and after successful negotiations I can confirm that my future is with Fulham.

'Since I joined the Club in 2008 we have enjoyed a great deal of success and I believe Mark Hughes and the Team will build on this success over the forthcoming seasons and continue the Club's progress. I have enjoyed two memorable years at the Club so far and I am now looking forward to many more.'

Fulham Manager Mark Hughes commented:

I've always stated my desire to see Mark remain at Fulham since I arrived at the Club during the summer. A goalkeeper of Mark's calibre will naturally attract the attention of the biggest clubs but his decision to stay at Fulham is a sign of the Club's growing stature in the game. Mark is an important part of my plans for the future and I am delighted to see one of the game's finest current goalkeepers commit his future to the Club.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/SchwarzerSigns.aspx#ixzz16xht1vnk

WhiteJC

http://www.101greatgoals.com/homesick-fulham-look-set-to-lose-again-when-they-arrive-at-uppish-arsenal/75035/?

Homesick Fulham look set to lose again when they arrive at uppish Arsenal

Level on points with Chelsea. Two points behind Manchester United. In the Carling Cup semi-finals against Ipswich. In reasonable shape to progress out the groups in the Champions League. And having dealt with their yearly November nightmares for 2010. Things are looking pretty decent for Arsenal at the minute.

By contrast, the Gunners cross-town rivals Fulham will arrive at the Emirates on Saturday with far less pomp in their step. With just one win (at home over Wigan) to show in their last twelve matches, the Cottagers are badly floundering. Yes, Mark Hughes has had plenty of injury problems to contend with during that time, but there are few positives to suggest that they can get an away result this weekend.

Fulham will be looking to draw inspiration from the performances of West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham against Arsenal this season. All three teams managed to walk away from the Emirates victorious, and knowing that Cesc Fabregas remains on the sidelines while Samir Nasri is not 100%, Fulham can dupe themselves that they have a chance against the Wenger Boys.

But Mark Hughes is really up against it this campaign. Sparky has struggled to push the Cottagers on since taking the reigns in the summer from Roy Hogdson, and his side looked destined to be involved in the relegation dogfight all the way until the end of the season. With just two wins to show since the start of the season, Fulham have everything to do to show that they aren't a soft touch.

Not winning, it's easy to pick apart further problems in the Fulham squad with age being cited as one of the major problems facing the team in the next few years. The likes of Mark Schwarzer, Danny Murphy, Simon Davies and Damien Duff are well into their 30s and the west Londoners will have to back Hughes with cash if he is able to rejuvenate the side to be able to compete at the highest levels.

The loss of their star striker Bobby Zamora has also hit them hard and is reflected in their poor goals return. Fulham have long struggled in the goals department, and they'll be depending on the likes of Clint Dempsey and Zoltan Gera to make up for the lack of goals from their frontmen. Fulham will also be looking to the likes of Brede Hangeland to cause a nuisance in the Arsenal box from any corners, free-kicks and set-plays.

Knowing whether Arsenal can repel the Fulham attacks remains a doubt. Long gone are the days when the north Londoners had a rock-solid defence. Nowadays Arsene Wenger is regularly restricted to selecting his available defenders, rather than his preferred defenders, as injuries take hold in his squad. That, coupled with Arsenal long-standing goalkeeping issues, mean that it is very difficult to say with confidence that the Gunners will see out a shut-out against Fulham.

While Arsenal's defence can be criticised though, going forward things look a lot brighter. For the first time in a long time, Wenger has the luxury of having forwards Marouane Chamakh, Nicklas Bendtner and Robin van Persie all fit. Moreover, speedstar Theo Walcott, trickster Andrei Arshavin and goalscorer Samir Nasri are all available too. With such firepower in their ranks, Arsenal scoring seems an inevitability.

And then we arrive to the history books, which show that few games in the Premier League are more one-sided than this.

The statistic are damning.

Arsenal have won seven and drawn two of their nine Premier League home games against Fulham. Fulham have never won away at Arsenal in any competition in 24 matches, losing 21. And Fulham have failed to score in four of the last five Premier League games against Arsenal.

It's all pretty depressing stuff if your a Cottager, and the omens that a sea-change is in the offing are few and far between

101gg predicts: Arsenal 3 – Fulham 0

Arsenal 1.28; Draw 5.92; Fulham 14.22

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/AustralasianWhites.aspx?

Congratulations Australasian Whites

Congratulations to The Fulham Australasian Whites who have officially reached the next level of International membership after gaining a total number of 25 members. To join the group or simply get involved visit their website at www.ausnz.co.uk

After reaching the next level of International Membership they are now entitled to many more benefits listed below:

Benefits

•  Official Status

•  Certification of Affiliation

•  Details on official club website (contact name, email address, URL and logo)

•  Two Signed Kits and one signed football (to raffle off)

•  Tour of the Cottage (for any members who make a group trip)

•  Monthly Prize Draw

Requirements

•  One secretary to run scheme on behalf of club and liaise with Fulham FC

•  Secretary must fill in an Official International Members Club form. (keep track of what members are in what official members club)

Fulham Football Club would like to invite all of our fans from across the globe to set up their very own Official International Members' Club. There are some fantastic benefits on offer once all paid members have signed up with the Club through our official registration channel.

There are four levels of International group membership now available. Just 10 paid Fulham Members are required to meet the Club's official entry level status and receive the first level of Fulham FC benefits so don't miss out and sign up your group today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/AustralasianWhites.aspx?#ixzz16yDpwXXJ

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/9251601.stm?

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer signs new contract

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has signed a new contract to keep him at the club until 2012.

Australian Schwarzer, 38, who moved to Craven Cottage from Middlesbrough in 2008, was linked with Arsenal during the last transfer window.

"He was obviously very flattered by the interest. We're delighted that he's decided to stay here and we can move forward now," said manager Mark Hughes.

Schwarzer added he was "delighted" to have ended speculation over his future.

"The club, manager and team have all highlighted their desire to see me stay at the Cottage and after successful negotiations I can confirm that my future is with Fulham," Schwarzer told the Furlham website.

In his first season with the Cottagers, Schwarzer was named the club's player of the year as then manager Roy Hodgson took Fulham to seventh, their best finish in the Premier League.

The keeper has also played for Australia 82 times, including at both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/12/02/arsenal-v-fulham-82029-27757701/?

Arsenal v Fulham

FULHAM should be boosted by the return of Andy Johnson for Saturday's trip to the Emirates.

The former England striker returned to training today after missing last weekend's draw with Birmingham due to a calf problem.

However, boss Mark Hughes expects him to recover in time to line up against Arsene Wenger's men.

Meanwhile, Carlos Salcido has failed to shake off an ankle injury, so John Pantsil could keep his place in defence, with Chris Baird switching to left-back.

But the game has come too soon for Mousa Dembele, who will return to training next week.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-suffer-massive-setback-in-pursuit-of-new-k?

Arsenal suffer massive setback in pursuit of new 'keeper
Arsenal - Mark Schwarzer commits future to Fulham

Arsenal have suffered a fresh blow in their search for a new goalkeeper after Mark Schwarzer signed a contract extension with Fulham.

There has been a great deal of speculation surrounding the future of the Australian as he headed towards the end of his deal with Fulham, but the 38-year-old stopper has committed himself to Craven Cottage until 2012 at least.

"I'm delighted to have finally signed a contract extension with Fulham after a great deal of speculation surrounding my future in recent months," he told the official Fulham website.

"The club, manager and team have all highlighted their desire to see me stay at the Cottage and after successful negotiations I can confirm that my future is with Fulham.

"Since I joined the club in 2008 we have enjoyed a great deal of success and I believe Mark Hughes and the team will build on this success over the forthcoming seasons and continue the club's progress. I have enjoyed two memorable years at the club so far and I am now looking forward to many more."

Arsene Wenger was thought to be keen to bring the experienced international to the Emirates Stadium during the summer Arsenal allegedly failed to strike a deal with Fulham.

The Arsenal boss has been linked with moves for an array of glovemen as he looks to find a more reliable alternative to current Gunners 'keepers Lukasz Fabianski and Manuel Almunia.

Fabianski has gathered some admirers after a recent run in the Arsenal first team, but Wenger is still thought to harbour some doubts regarding the consistency of the young Pole, so the Gunners are understood to still be monitoring a number of potential targets.

Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina and Middlesbrough youngster Jason Steele have also been linked with Arsenal as the Gunners steps up their pursuit of a new 'keeper.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/12/02/fulham-defender-gears-up-for-arsenal-test-82029-27757800/?

Fulham defender gears up for Arsenal test

AARON Hughes reckons a single yard will make or break Fulham's hope of a first Premiership away win at Arsenal on Saturday – and their first anywhere in the league for 16 agonising months.

The Whites defender and his team-mates know what's coming at them when they step out at The Emirates – it's just a case of being slide-rule perfect as they try to stop Fabregas and co.

"You know what to expect," said Hughes, "and Arsenal are criticised for over-playing.

'But if you're a yard out of position when they're passing the ball, such is the speed, they're going to cause problems."

For all that, Hughes points to a couple of draws against Arsene Wenger's team as well as a win at the old Highbury when he was with Newcastle – and reckons Fulham have usually given a good account of themselves in north London for little reward, including a 0-0 back in February, 2009.

He said: "If we had gained a win on that day, there could have been few complaints.

"I don't think being away is a mental issue. We train all week exactly the same whether it's home or away. Maybe it's just something small that we've overlooked."

One thing's for sure – Hughes reckons Wenger's life and that of his own boss Mark Hughes is vastly overrated.

The Northern Ireland international has revealed little desire to become a manager when he finally hangs up his boots – which may be at the end of his current contract in 2013 at age 34.

Instead, Hughes is toying with the idea of coaching kids - just like former team-mate Erik Nevland who returned to Norway in the summer.

The defender said: "There's as much pressure on a manager in the Premiership as on players. I think it could be far more rewarding finding and developing young players at grass-roots level."