watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poland v Russia

Started by Motspur Park, February 26, 2022, 11:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motspur Park

I see that every topic mentioning Russia is deleted. I also understand the no politics rule because it is divisive.

However, whichever way you look at things, politics and sports have always been and will always be linked to some degree. At what stage are we allowed to discuss football matters?

Poland has refused to play Russia the the World Cup qualifiers and I applaud their decision. How long can this farce go on where authorities turn a blind eye to what is going on because it will hurt them financially. Somebody has to make a stand and Poland deserves credit for being the first.

Lewandowski (sp) has taken to social media in support of the decision and Cash of Villa and others have also added their backing.

Let's hope this gathers momentum putting pressure on the aggressors for their country's nonsensical actions.

Holders

Hear hear! Sunday's match will be interesting to see what reception the blue team receive and what flags Liverpool turn up with. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffc73

Well done Poland.
They are doing much more than just refusing to play a game of football.

Southcoastffc

Agreed.  Bravo Poland.  The mealy-mouthed approach of playing all games in a neutral venue is pathetic.  IMO there should simply be a blanket ban on Russian participation in all sports. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

St Eve

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 26, 2022, 12:10:53 PM
Agreed.  Bravo Poland.  The mealy-mouthed approach of playing all games in a neutral venue is pathetic.  IMO there should simply be a blanket ban on Russian participation in all sports. 
couldn't agree more

copthornemike

Well done the Polish FA.
Any nonviolent ways to embarrass the Russian leadership and cause them to explain (more probably lie) to the Russian population have to be applauded.
Will FIFA and EUFA demonstrate a similar moral compass to the Polish FA, or will they take a cowards approach and fine the Polish FA? If they dare so our own FA should withdraw our own participation in what is a World Cup with a particularly troubling background.

copthornemike

And I would just wish to add my support to the OPs comment concerning the deletion of threads mentioned Russia.
On this occasion I would implore our admin team to make an exception to their guidelines on this one particular occasion as I am sure all the site's contributors would support such an approach.

Mince n Tatties

Yes dont know why the threads concerning Russia have been taken down,as it's nothing to do with politics,it's to do with a tyrant wanting to show his power to the world.
Saw a clip on the net last night of ordinary Ukraine people taking out Russians in a jeep and a tank...Great spirit by them.

sunburywhite

I blame the mods

Whitejcvic, Burtvic, Elgreeniovic, etc
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Friendsoffulham

In the past, we have been lenient with sports related threads that have been tied to political views, however, 6 or 7 replies later, the usual few spoil it for others, by going off on a political rant.

We'd like to be more lenient, but, people just don't get it, regardless of how many times we point them to the guidelines, remove posts, or send them PM's.

Based on this, we took the stance that Friends of Fulham is now a politically free forum, and all posts that invite politics, are removed without question.

For example, we've just had to delete a couple more comments in this thread, because people can't keep to the original post, without ruining it for others.

Until this changes, politics in any form are banned from this Forum.

Cobh Fulham Fan

How exactly do people expect to have a political discussion on sites such as this without experiencing political rants?

And why is it that those who go off on political rants, just happen to be the ones whose views differ from our own?

If people want to engage in political discussions where everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet, then perhaps they should sign up and join a political party webpage.

Lets instead stick with what unites us all - Fulham Football Club!

Ludlow Richard

I applaud Poland. Szczęsny's statement is especially powerful. What is admirable about the stance is that this would have been the last shot at a WC final stages for players like Lewandowski but principle has been put ahead of personal success. Much more of a powerful message being sent to Russia by this action than by banning Russia for the Eurovision Song Contest.

No doubt FIFA will award the game to Russia. Then their opponents in the play off final will refuse to play them, which will mean Russia qualifies for the WC finals by default. And if teams refuse to play them and FIFA keeps awarding games to Russia, we could get to the farcical situation where Russia win the world cup. It won't come to that of course. But you never know with football.

Motspur Park

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on February 26, 2022, 02:13:11 PM
I applaud Poland. Szczęsny's statement is especially powerful. What is admirable about the stance is that this would have been the last shot at a WC final stages for players like Lewandowski but principle has been put ahead of personal success. Much more of a powerful message being sent to Russia by this action than by banning Russia for the Eurovision Song Contest.

No doubt FIFA will award the game to Russia. Then their opponents in the play off final will refuse to play them, which will mean Russia qualifies for the WC finals by default. And if teams refuse to play them and FIFA keeps awarding games to Russia, we could get to the farcical situation where Russia win the world cup. It won't come to that of course. But you never know with football.
This is exactly what does need to happen. If FIFA won't ban them, then every team drawn against them should refuse to play. Better still, get a statement of intent in advance and then force the world body's hand.

filham

Anything to do with Russia has gone beyond politics and is now more to do with war.

davew

Quote from: sunburywhite on February 26, 2022, 01:11:46 PM
I blame the mods

Whitejcvic, Burtvic, Elgreeniovic, etc
LOL, funny!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

cookieg

All sporting bodies should ban Russia from all competitions for life. This is beyond politics people are dying because of a madman and his ego.

Twig

Just want to add my support to this thread. Ban Russian teams and individuals from every form of international sport. I know it's tough on some decent fair minded Russian sorts people but that nation is a pariah state now.

Mince n Tatties

Russian people  been arrested in St Petersburg for protesting against Putin....Feel sorry as they will be off to Siberian Camps.

SG

We've pussy footed around Russia for too long. What the hell is this abomination of an Olympic team ROC. Get tough and ban them from every possible sport sine diem.

bencher

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on February 26, 2022, 02:13:11 PM

I think you've just uncovered the real purpose behind all of this - Putin has figured out a dead cert way for Russia to win the WC.
Time to start a breakaway competition, perhaps to be called the Universe Cup.