more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lookman should have stepped up and taken the pen yesterday

Started by Dixie, November 23, 2020, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: Milo on November 23, 2020, 10:59:14 PM
Mitro should be taking no discussions. Why is he hiding? Must be confidence but I really didn't expect that from him because he's normally so boisterous on the pitch..

He's only human, whatever his image.

he took so much stick on social media over the last miss, and also missing other chances - do we think that it never gets to him?
And, in Fulham's position, every missed  scoring chance   can mean the difference between staying up and going down.

I suppose  player always have the choice of whether to be  nominated pen taker or not.
If a player doesn't feel confident, then  he  might feel on a hiding  to nothing is he steps up to the plate.

Cav  has a good  pen record anyway, and obviously agreed to take them. Maybe the only one!

I think being Fulham's pen taker is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment, with few volunteers for this role!

Sting of the North

Quote from: SouthIslandWhite on November 24, 2020, 01:36:59 AM
There should be 3 penalty takers, no more and they all need to be ready each week. If we are awarded a pen, you go first to #1, if he can't go then it's onto #2.  If that player isn't available then it's off to #3. It's simple but best of all: It's a plan. If you fail, oh well, you had a plan and there's no confusion or arguments about who ought to be taking which penalty. Plans are all about preparation and that calms everyone down. Right now as far as penalties go, there appears to be no plan.

What makes you think there's no plan? It sounds like you haven't been paying attention to what is actually said by Parker.

Sting of the North

I find it very hard to believe that Cavaleiro was on the pitch for the sole purpose of taking a penalty, because that sounds absolutely imbecill. Did Parker actually say that, or is this just yet another fan made up thing that risks becoming the truth with all the regurgitating that goes on here?

RaySmith

Quote from: Sting of the North on November 24, 2020, 07:09:19 AM
I find it very hard to believe that Cavaleiro was on the pitch for the sole purpose of taking a penalty, because that sounds absolutely imbecill. Did Parker actually say that, or is this just yet another fan made up thing that risks becoming the truth with all the regurgitating that goes on here?

I'm certain that wasn't  true - that parker wouldn't keep cav on just for that.

Even if, cav was the  designated pen taker, as seems to be the case, then there had to be someone else   designated to take them in the case of something happening to cav - he could have got injured for a start.

To be honest, i thought it was a joke , saying  Parker kept him on because of that.

Whatever peeple think of him, Parker is a pro - been in the game since   his teens, and would never  keep a player on whom he thought should be replaced, in case there was a pen.

I'm sure every player in the team is capable of taking a decent pen, but it's having the nerve to step up, and then put it away, which is the  problem - but they must all be well capable ot taking a pen, even the keeper.

i mean I, like  most fans probably, could take a pen at age  71, as long as  I hit hard, laces through the ball, low and straight, which  means that if the keeper stood still in his line it would likely  hit him - but I certainly wouldn't want to take a pen  in such a pressurised  situation.

I just use this as an example that all pro players must be able to take decent pen - a placed , accurate pen.

But i do think, if nervous, go for hard, low and straight - at least  you'll hit the target and it has a good chance of going in -  unless it actually hits the keeper, it's very hard to save.

But what do i know!

FFCBadger

Historically Lookers has always been a bit fragile, if keeping him away from the pen spot maintains his confidence then so be it.
Pretty poor given his pay but confidence counts for a lot apparently?

BDR has the best record but was subbed I believe. I'd say the order is BDR, Mitro, Cav at a guess currently...

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Dixie on November 23, 2020, 10:47:15 AM
I'm amazed that he didn't - couldn't ask for a better opportunity to exorcise the demons from the Wet Spam game and redeem himself!
This is someone who is paid £60k a week to play football, he should be demanding the chance to prove that he's worth it.

It's a shame, because other than the very good assist for RLC's goal, he wasn't involved nearly enough, I hope his confidence hasn't gone

And if the coach said someone else was taking it?