watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Buying British

Started by mrmicawbers, November 26, 2020, 09:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmicawbers

I have noticed more of late in the Supermarket more specifically going out of my way to purchase British produce.I don't remember me actively pursuing that train of thought until fairly recently.It's obvious what's driving it.Is it only me?Oh and trying not to buy French Wine which was difficult to start with but find loads of decent substitutes from around the world.Maybe it's a boredom thing and I have too much more time on my hands in the current situation.

Holders

I've always bought British or European for preference. A couple of countries elsewhere I actively avoid.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ScalleysDad

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 26, 2020, 09:44:57 AM
I have noticed more of late in the Supermarket more specifically going out of my way to purchase British produce.I don't remember me actively pursuing that train of thought until fairly recently.It's obvious what's driving it.Is it only me?Oh and trying not to buy French Wine which was difficult to start with but find loads of decent substitutes from around the world.Maybe it's a boredom thing and I have too much more time on my hands in the current situation.

It is very likely you might be actively pursuing British goods in the new year.......... if you can find them. I have ex colleagues in Lithuania, Poland and Belgium. Their collective take on the new year is that we will be able to buy as many teles  as we want......... tinned tomatoes or salad less so.

FFCBadger

Oh and trying not to buy French Wine which was difficult to start with but find loads of decent substitutes from around the world.

Yes, there are lots of alternatives but why are you avoiding French wine?

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 26, 2020, 10:54:05 AM

It is very likely you might be actively pursuing British goods in the new year.......... if you can find them. I have ex colleagues in Lithuania, Poland and Belgium. Their collective take on the new year is that we will be able to buy as many teles  as we want......... tinned tomatoes or salad less so.

Some people are bound to get all "millennium bug" over it but the reality is there's nothing you can get now that you won't be able to get in the New Year. Worst case scenario you'll just have to pay an extra 50p if the gov decides to tax it. Or there'll be a small wait whilst the delivery truck queues in Calais. But it's not WW2.

mrmicawbers

I deal with a lot of manufacturing companies in England and Wales and many reporting they have never been so busy.Various reasons for this but hopefully will continue.

Fulhamfan666

If I like it I will buy it, if not I will not.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: FFCBadger on November 26, 2020, 12:54:13 PM
Oh and trying not to buy French Wine which was difficult to start with but find loads of decent substitutes from around the world.

Yes, there are lots of alternatives but why are you avoiding French wine?
It's pretty obvious they have an issue with us.I was a Francophile and even had a property there a few years ago.I know they would love us to fail on our own so hence my wine embargo.There's some lovely Chilean Viognier in Tesco £7.50 marked down to £6 and the if you buy 6 you get an extra 25%off.

filham

Lots of reasons why we should all buy British and perhaps one of the best is to save fuel emissisions due to transport costs.

Ronnief

Lots of vineyards in Surrey and Sussex with some award winning wines so why not buy British?  :wine:

Woolly Mammoth

I only buy English Wines, I have a cellar full of them, I also have a cellar full of coal, and the coal is also English.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: filham on November 26, 2020, 03:06:37 PM
Lots of reasons why we should all buy British and perhaps one of the best is to save fuel emissisions due to transport costs.

Quite right - the shorter the supply chain the better for the environment.

In a previous job I was on the corporate environmental committee for a FTSE 100 company. It was the '90s so that was quite radical for its time. Anyway, it was considered that the most environmentally damaging thing that the company did with its fleets of ships and lorries was to transport vast quantities of bottled water from country to country. The next was bringing wine from the other side of the globe.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Milo

I always get British made cheese in Waitrose etc as I'm interested and have an affinity towards the various places eg today bought Colbert Basset Stilton from Notts as I spent 5 years there.

I've also been shopping in the local butchers and going to the farmers market each week.. but that's partly because we don't have a supermarket in Blackheath... so I don't really have a choice haha.

Milo

Quote from: Ronnief on November 26, 2020, 03:29:20 PM
Lots of vineyards in Surrey and Sussex with some award winning wines so why not buy British?  :wine:

I had the Bolney Estate Dark Harvest from Waitrose when it was on offer, very good!

john dempsey

I buy all my British produce from ALDI.
Anglo/German relations and all that.
Plus I find Frau Merkel extremely attractive.

mrmicawbers

Have started to buy English Wine at the Chartham Vineyard which are very decent.Plan to invest in their Sparkling this Christmas.They do a tour of the Vineyard and wine tasting of 6 wines for 12 Quid which I plan to do in the spring.

fcfulham55

I actually have for years! In fact, I'm willing to pay extra for British where I can. If not, items imported from Canada,  Australia or New Zealand. Part of the Canzuk upcoming union.

We have the best Apples in the world. But people buy french apples because they look better. 🤦‍♂️
Sent from my Nokia 3310

mrmicawbers

Quote from: fcfulham55 on November 26, 2020, 07:14:23 PM
I actually have for years! In fact, I'm willing to pay extra for British where I can. If not, items imported from Canada,  Australia or New Zealand. Part of the Canzuk upcoming union.

We have the best Apples in the world. But people buy french apples because they look better. 🤦‍♂️
Cox Orange Pipe lovely.Happy Memories of getting them in my Christmas stocking as a child.That's when apples were apples

mrmicawbers

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 26, 2020, 07:37:15 PM
Quote from: fcfulham55 on November 26, 2020, 07:14:23 PM

Cox Orange Pipe lovely.Happy Memories of getting them in my Christmas stocking as a child.That's when apples were apples
Pippens

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Milo on November 26, 2020, 04:12:50 PM
I always get British made cheese in Waitrose etc as I'm interested and have an affinity towards the various places eg today bought Colbert Basset Stilton from Notts as I spent 5 years there.

I've also been shopping in the local butchers and going to the farmers market each week.. but that's partly because we don't have a supermarket in Blackheath... so I don't really have a choice haha.

I live near Blackheath. If you like cheese try Chislehurst farmers market. Italian guy there who sells loads of different types of cheese. Chislehurst farmers market is every 3rd Sunday of the month when not in lock down