more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 28/11/20...

Started by WhiteJC, November 28, 2020, 12:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Parker insists Fulham aren't daunted by three tough games ahead

The task facing Fulham over the next three matches is tough but they're not daunted by it, says boss Scott Parker.

In fact, 'tough' doesn't cover Leicester away on Monday night, then Manchester City, also away, before fans are welcomed back to Craven Cottage for the first time in nine months against champions Liverpool on December 12.

But Parker insists his troops are ready for the challenge.

He said: "There's no point in thinking the next three games are a write-off. Let's try and get out of here with not too much punishment.

"In some games the challenge is going to be greater, of course it is. But it always starts at 0-0, and if you apply yourself, have a strategy, ride it out with a bit of luck, you can get a result.

"Tough? They're a million per cent tough, but if you go about it the right way, you can get something.

"Daunting? No, this is why we worked so hard to get out of the Championship last year to embrace these sorts of challenge.

"If we play Liverpool or Man City, we have to put our stamp on the game, and then we can maybe get some points out of it.

"History tells me if you go about it the right way, you can get something.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-insists-fulham-arent-daunted-by-games-against-liverpool-man-city-and-leicester

WhiteJC

How to out-fox the Foxes
Mike Forrest looks at how we can topple Leicester on Monday.

Not many tip us to bring anything back from Leicester on Monday night, except a good hiding, but that is – of course – far from a foregone conclusion. I believe Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ademola Lookman and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are key to any success we may have at the King Power – and I'll attempt to explain how.

Relighting Mitro's fire
Two goals and two assists in nine league appearances is not a bad record to have. Nor are they exceptionally good numbers. For the man behind them, Mitrovic, it's perhaps a disappointing return considering the burden of expectation that rests on his shoulders.

The once consistently formidable and steely Serbian has melted to a diluted version of his true capabilities at times this season. Glorious chances squandered against Sheff United saw Mitro looking skyward, beseeching his goalscoring guardian angel for answers.

His fiery finishing ability had been snuffed out for now. He often cuts a figure of frustration with the scant service from his teammates prickling him into vexation.

Whether Mitro's muted performances are a hangover from the hamstring injury that saw him unable to start the play-off final, a loss of form, or playing in a team that has been more dysfunctional than functional, who knows.

What is for certain is that there's more to come from him, which should be a cause for optimism going into the Leicester City match.

Dynamic movement has never been part of his game, and recent tactics have seen him being outnumbered and easily suffocated by the opposition. However, against Everton, Mitro was able to drift away from Yerry Mina to find space around the edge of the box. Loftus-Cheek then fed him a pass and followed it up with a surging run beyond the Serbian international.

Mitro was able to return a perfectly weighted pass. Loftus-Cheek won a penalty, subsequently missed by Cavaleiro, of course, but it showed that perhaps both RLC and Mitro could be more fruitful if they play closer to each other.

Revving up Loftus-Cheek
The run, drive and pass from RLC was his biggest contribution in a Fulham shirt up until that point. It came from him playing central and close to Mitrovic rather than out wide where Parker has regularly played him. Just as Mitro has looked isolated up front, Loftus-Cheek has equally looked cut adrift when playing out wide.

Playing in an attacking central position, Loftus-Cheek was able to display some of the qualities that have so far eluded some of his performances this season.

After winning the penalty he was able to surpass this contribution by finishing off a Lookman pass a minute or so later. Lookman beat Digne with ease. Loftus-Cheek took up a nice central position, finding a pocket of space between Everton's centre half and central midfielder, and finished off the move.

Unfortunately, that was to be the zenith of our day. Twenty minutes to go, and an equaliser needed to rescue an unlikely draw, Everton prepared themselves for an offensive barrage from us.

The expected onslaught never materialised, with Fulham only mustering a meek salvo of two further shots on target – both benign attempts. Perhaps credit should to go to Ancelotti and Everton for stifling any attacking space rather than needing any existential introspection on our part.

Letting Lookman run
Going into Leicester, the trio of Lookman, Loftus-Cheek and Mitrovic have shown that they all have the quality to cause the Foxes trouble. The key now is for Parker to be able to coax this quality into output.

Putting Loftus-Cheek central and closer to Mitrovic will certainly help, but a peek into Tottenham's success with their Harry Kane and Son Heung Min partnership could also yield potential solutions.

Fulham has been utilising Ademola Lookman by giving him the ball to his feet and expecting magic from his strong dribbling skills. We should also look to utilise his pace with an obvious tactic that Mourinho's Tottenham has leveraged very well.

They get Harry Kane to drop deep, defenders drawn to him, which creates space for the speedy Son to run into. This has helped Son to a goal return of nine goals in nine appearances. Could this be replicated with Mitrovic and Lookman? For this tactic to be deployed it would require flexibility from Parker to relinquish his devotion to passing into feet rather than space.

On paper, we have an attacking threat capable of inflicting the first blow on the opposition. Come Monday, it would be good to see us defending a lead rather than chasing one. With Mitro, RLC and Lookman firing on all cylindars, we might even bring a point or three back down the M1 with us.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-11-27-conquering-leicester-outhunting-the-foxes/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker can exploit Leicester weakness by starting Mitrovic on Monday

Fulham face a tough game away at Leicester City on Monday night but they can give themselves a good chance by exploiting a weakness in the Foxes' defence.

Brendan Rodgers' side shipped three goals at Anfield in their last league fixture, with all three goals coming from crosses into the box, including two from corners.

They also conceded three times in their midweek Europa League tie against Braga and although they secured a point with a late Jamie Vardy equaliser, it seems clear that their defence is vulnerable at the moment.

In order to best exploit Leicester's current weakness from crosses, Parker must start Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The 26-year-old was benched for the Cottagers' 3-2 defeat against Everton in their last Premier League fixture but has shown himself to be a goal threat at times this season, having contributed two goals and two assists in nine top-flight appearances (per WhoScored).

WhoScored describes one of the former Newcastle United man's strengths as headed attempts, so he could be a threat against Leicester's depleted defence should his teammates be able to get quality crosses into the box on Monday evening.

The foxes have Ricardo Pereira and Caglar Soyuncu, who were both so impressive last season, currently missing from their backline due to injury and perhaps Mitrovic can be the man to take advantage at the King Power Stadium.

The striker's best performance of the campaign thus far was arguably in the 2-0 win against West Brom, when he provided two assists and earned an impressive match rating of 7.55. Following that game, Parker was full of praise for his forward, saying:

"I think Mitro would be the first to say he's very disappointed with his performance (against Sheffield United). It can happen to anyone, but he probably put a lot on himself, which you often find that a lot of players do.

"Since then there's been a real credit and a real drive in him. I think he's been at the forefront of everything and I think you see that definitely on Monday night.

"A player who was relentless in his work ethic, his all-round play for the team was very good and he comes away with two assists, which was very pleasing as well.

"He's been first class and needs to maintain those levels, which I'm sure he will, and keep helping us in this division." (per Evening Express)

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/scott-parker-leicester-mitrovic-fulham-cottagers

fulhamben

Not sure how our badly worked short corners will cause Leicester any problems.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

WhiteJC

Duncan & Diego

As the football world mourns the passing of Diego Maradona, we have been reminded of his unique persona and brilliance through a plethora of anecdotes, clips, and photographs.

One of his most iconic pictures was at the climax of the 1986 World Cup, a tournament in which he'd been at his dazzling best as Argentina lifted the trophy in Mexico.

You may have previously clocked the shirtless reveller in said snap and assumed he was a jubilant Argentine. No, that is in fact Duncan Coales of London.

Aged 26, the lifelong Fulham fan departed the UK for what was supposed to be a six-month trip around the world. Two-and-a-half years later he still had not returned and was instead in the middle of the Estadio Azteca pitch celebrating right next to one of the greatest footballers the world has ever seen.

"I'd been to India, Thailand, Bali, Australia, New Zealand, and then the States," Duncan tells fulhamfc.com. "It was always in the back of my mind that I might get to the World Cup, and when I was working at a hostel in Los Angeles I met four English guys, two from Ipswich, and one each from Norwich and Hastings. This one lad bought this car, just a $500 job, so off we went."

A 1,500-mile road trip ensued from LA to Monterrey – the location of each of England's group matches.

"The results of the group games were mixed, but we just had such a good time," Duncan recalls with vigour. "We'd heard there was going to be trouble, but everyone was so welcoming. The Mexicans were really hospitable. Monterrey was only a small industrial town, and after the games the locals would fill pick-up trucks with beer by the stadium and invite us to parties. We'd end up round people's houses, miles from anywhere."

A generational Fulham fan – "My Grandad had a haulage business that he started with a horse and cart in Hammersmith" – Duncan was accompanied on his trip of a lifetime by a flag that he fashioned from some pilfered Los Angeles linen.

"I made it from an old bed sheet that I nicked from the hostel I was working in. I put a red cross in the middle of it, put DUN in one quarter, CAN in the other, and then I had FUL-HAM on the bottom. It got recognised a lot, which was brilliant."

England's two knockout games – a Round-of-16 clash with Paraguay, and the infamous defeat by Maradona's Argentina – were both played in the capital, thus determining Duncan's next stop.

"Unbelievably the car managed to keep going, so we headed down to Mexico City. We only had one mishap, when we went over a bumpy road and split the fuel tank. We managed to limp into this tiny town and found a garage where they welded it up and sent us on our way.

"The Paraguay game was good. There was a bit of tension around the Argentina game because of the Falklands. There was nothing too nasty but you could tell they really wanted to win that one. Obviously the game didn't go too well for England, but we weren't worried about trouble."

With the Three Lions now out of the tournament, Duncan and his comrades hit the road once more.

"We headed off to Acapulco for a week. Another Fulham fan, called Alex Ferguson – or The Traveller – who a lot of people will know, was down there as well. Alex was great. Everyone kind of idolised him, there was so much respect there. Alex would hold court in some of the pubs down in Acapulco. He was just blinding.

"We toyed with heading back for the Final. We didn't have tickets but decided to have a go at getting in. We were all in our England gear and people kept coming up to us wanting pictures."

(Duncan puts the locals' fascination with the English down to the 'hooligan image' that had been painted in the media: "There was a curiosity around so called 'English hooligans.' When we got to Monterrey there was a headline in the paper, 'Los Hooligans are coming.' A lot of them were actually disappointed when they found out we weren't hooligans.")

The 1986 World Cup Final was a classic. Argentina had squandered a two-goal advantage against West Germany, but a late strike from Jorge Burruchaga earned them a 3-2 victory. The official attendance at the match was 114,600, but you can add at least another five to that courtesy of Duncan's group.

"We had a wander round the ground, saw this bloke on a gate, gave him a few pesos and he snuck us through. And that was it, we were in! We were right behind where most of the goals were scored. Again there was no trouble, even with our England shirts on. It was a cracking game, and it was just great to be there.

"At full-time, one of the Ipswich lads looked at me, I looked at him, then we both looked at the fence. 'Yep, come on.' It was a bit of a high fence, you had to hang there and get yourself up on top, and then over a ditch at the other side. There were a few Mexican security guards or police dotted around, but we waited for our moment, and next minute we're on the pitch. I headed to where all the action was, and that's where the picture came from. It was just madness. We had to get off the pitch pretty quickly, though, as we got sussed. I still can't believe it now when I look at it. Bloody hell, there's me literally on Maradona's shoulder."

Maradona didn't score in the Final but was in incredible form throughout the tournament, hitting five goals and claiming the Golden Ball. One of those goals of course still doesn't sit right with England fans, but Duncan believes the man's brilliance overshadows everything else.

"You could see it in the Argentinians, they idolised the fella. He was God to them. The outpouring for him this week has been brilliant. I think unless you're a really bitter England fan then you forget about what he did and just appreciate him as a footballer.

"I never had a bugbear with Maradona for the Hand of God goal. Although, if it had been against Fulham I would have!"

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/november/Duncan-Diego/

WhiteJC

Leicester trio could return to starting line-up for clash with Fulham

Jamie Vardy, James Maddison and Youri Tielemans are expected to return to the Leicester starting line-up against Fulham.

The trio began Thursday's Europa League clash at Braga on the bench but came on during the second half as the Foxes came from behind to earn a 3-3 draw and seal qualification for the next round. Wesley Fofana and Nampalys Mendy were also rested in Portugal, with Fofana playing 45 minutes and Mendy an unused substitute, having started the Premier League defeat to Liverpool, and they too could also be recalled.

Midfielder Wilfred Ndidi, out since September with a groin injury, could return against Zorya Luhansk in the Europa League next week while right-back Ricardo Pereira, absent since March with a serious knee injury, is also making progress in his recovery.

The striker has served a three-match ban following his red card against Crystal Palace last month.

Defender Kenny Tete is back in training following a calf injury but he is not yet in contention.

Leicester provisional squad: Schmeichel, Ward, Jakupovic, Justin, Fuchs, Morgan, Evans, Thomas, Fofana, Choudhury, Tielemans, Mendy, Praet, Albrighton, Gray, Maddison, Barnes, Under, Perez, Vardy, Iheanacho.

Fulham provisional squad: Areola, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson, Aina, Cairney, Reed, Zambo, Mitrovic, Reid, Lookman, Rodak, Hector, Ream, Bryan, Kebano, Loftus-Cheek, Cavaleiro, Lemina, Kamara.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/leicester-trio-could-return-to-starting-line-up-for-clash-with-fulham-1606489723000

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Leicester City vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of Leicester City vs. Fulham and to help us with the show, we were joined by Jamie from Leicester Fan TV.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/11/27/21722682/cottage-talk-preview-leicester-city-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Supporters to Return to Craven Cottage

The Club is delighted to confirm that we look forward to welcoming supporters back to Craven Cottage for the first time since February, when Fulham host Liverpool on Sunday 13th December.

Following this week's announcement that sees London being confirmed in Tier 2 of the latest government Covid-19 measures - effective from 2nd December - a limited number of supporters will now be able to attend matches.

As previously communicated, any access to games will be made via a ticket ballot process, of which 2019/20 Season Ticket Holders will be provided priority to enter. 2020/21 Seasonal Hospitality guests will also be contacted in due course.

The Club is now working through the logistics of ballot details, ticket distribution and operations for ensuring the safety of supporters at Craven Cottage, and hope to provide a further announcement next week.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/november/Supporters-to-Return-to-Craven-Cottage/

WhiteJC

Marcus Bettinelli is attracting Premier League interest after strong start to Middlesbrough loan spell, with Neil Warnock's side boasting the best defensive record in England

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli is flourishing under Neil Warnock at the Riverside
    Warnock's Middlesbrough side are just five points adrift of play-off spots
    Bettinelli has kept seven clean sheets, with Boro conceding just seven goals

Marcus Bettinelli is back on the Premier League's radar following his excellent start to life at Middlesbrough.

The goalkeeper is flourishing under Neil Warnock at the Riverside Stadium having joined the club on loan from Fulham at the start of the season.

Warnock's side are in the play-off places and just five points adrift of the automatic promotion places, thanks in no small part to their excellent defensive record.

Marcus Bettinelli is back on Premier League radar after his excellent start at Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough have conceded just six goals all season - the best defensive record in the top four divisions.

Bettinelli has managed seven clean sheets already this season, the best record in the Championship.

And his performances are starting to attract interest from Premier League teams as he bolsters his reputation as one of the best goalkeepers outside the top-flight.

The 28-year-old was called into the England squad by Gareth Southgate in 2018 and was rated as one of the best emerging keeper's in the country.

But Fulham's relegation that season resulted in Bettinelli losing his place in the England set-up - but a return to the Premier League would put him back on the International radar.

Middlesbrough have the best defensive record in England's top four divisions this season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8994109/Marcus-Bettinellis-strong-start-Middlesbrough-loan-spell-attracting-Premier-League-interest.html

WhiteJC

Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Joe Bryan's roles as Fulham come close to clicking ahead of Leicester

Scott Parker was speaking ahead of Monday's clash with Leicester

Ruben Loftus Cheek of Fulham FC (Photo by Chloe Knott - Danehouse/Getty Images) (Image: (Photo by Chloe Knott - Danehouse/Getty Images))

Scott Parker believes his Fulham side are close to clicking but they must cut out their individual mistakes to be successful.

The Cottagers enter a tough set fixtures against Leicester, Manchester City and Liverpool feeling they could have earned more points in recent weeks. The 40-year-old boss was fairly evenhanded in describing his side's progress.

He said: "I feel it's close. As a team we're going in the right direction. It's fine margins, it's the nous in what I believe and talk about. In this division you can't lose a minute of concentration. In this division you can't afford to be the wrong side of someone, or to make individual errors because you get punished.

"At times we've fallen short there this year. I think anyone who watches us with half a clue on football will see where some of our deficiencies are, but will see clearly where we are as a team and what we're doing and how good we are at times. The way we play takes courage."

One player who made a claim for a place in Fulham's starting XI is Ruben Loftus-Cheek, fresh from an impactful cameo against the Toffees. However, having replaced Tom Cairney in the fixture Parker may have left himself with a difficult decision. However, the Whites boss noted it wasn't that simple.

He said: "I see him as a player between the lines really. I see him as an attacking minded player, someone who can get in between the lines. We saw a fine example at the weekend.

"He needs that run of games, that belief, that real clarity in what's going to define him as a player and a real understanding of what he is. I see him as someone who gets between the lines, creates goals, scores goals.

"There's flexibility in the way we lay. He can play off the side, he can play as a 10, it's not just one position in my team that's up for grabs. We can be flexible in how we play him."

Joe Bryan has struggled to earn a start since the emergeance of Antonee Robinson in the first team, and hasn't been on the field from the opening whistle since facing Wolves early in October.

In that clash, the defender played in a more advanced role and it is something Parker would consider using again.

He said: "I think we did that against Wolves. Joe played further up. He did that at Bristol certainly and he's played there for us before. I remember a couple of times we played him further up. It's a possibility and something we'll keep an eye on."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/leicester-vs-fulham-team-news-19359929

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough could face January headache with reported Premier League interest in Marcus Bettinelli

Marcus Bettinelli is on a season-long loan at Middlesbrough from Fulham but his solid form has put Premier League clubs on notice

Middlesbrough could face a goalkeeper headache in January, with reported Premier League interest in Marcus Bettinelli.

Bettinelli is on a season-long loan at Middlesbrough from Fulham, but all season-loan loans in the EFL come with a recall clause in the favour of the parent club active during the January transfer window.

And according to a report in the Daily Mail, Premier League clubs are aware of his fine form at Boro this season, which could prompt some movement in the new year.

Bettinelli's contract at Fulham expires in the summer where he will be free to leave the club for nothing, and his move to Teesside in the summer was likely the end of a spell at the club that saw him twice promoted to the Premier League.

But if Premier League clubs do show interest in January then the Cottagers may be tempted to recall him and look to make a little money through a sale to a fellow top-flight side.

Bettinelli has had little work to do at Middlesbrough due to the solid defending in front of him, but manager Neil Warnock was so keen to add him to his squad in the summer because he felt he needed a more vocal organiser between the sticks. Bettinelli has certainly added that, while always proving reliable so far when called upon.

Conceding just six goals in 13 league games so far, he has seven clean sheets which is the best record of any goalkeeper in England's top two divisions.

The goalkeeper is understood to be enjoying life on Teesside under Warnock's management and seems unlikely to actively pursue a move away while playing regularly. Fulham do have the option to take the decision out of his hands, however.

If they were to, Boro would be facing a January headache in that department after selling Aynsley Pears to Blackburn earlier this year.

Dejan Stojanovic is back-up to Bettinelli, while under-23 talent Sol Brynn is currently third-choice.

But with his squad numbers thin and his funds small, Warnock will hope not to have the need to add to his squad with a new goalkeeper as he prioritises arrivals in other positions.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbrough-could-face-january-headache-19361578

filham

An improving Loftus Cheeck, a refreshed Mitro combining with the talented Lookman could give us hope against Leicester. Of course we need the rest of the team to perform at their best at the same time but Parker is right we should live in hope.