Main Menu

Anderson Appeal Successful

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 22, 2020, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: LittleErn on December 23, 2020, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on December 23, 2020, 02:54:43 PM
Quote from: colham on December 23, 2020, 10:27:59 AM
There were several possible readings of the incident depending on whether it was accidental contact or deliberate which seems to depend on where it was. 

Outside the box was a deliberate foul, but it they go for the potential touch on the underside of the boot for Wilson's dive, then it would be accidental. 

So it seems the appeal may stem from the argument that IF the ref was correct in awarding a penalty, there's no way it was deliberate - OR if it was deliberate, then there was cover so not the last man. I don't think there's any argument that Andersen was trying to play the ball in any scenario.

The alternative is that they admit the Ref got the penalty decision wrong even with VAR, which I can't see them admitting.

This, in a nutshell.

I think that is what I said earlier? "There are two possibilities here why it might be a penalty but not a red. It may be that the FA considered that we had another defender who would have got back, or that they thought Andersen's contact was accidental. They can't have thought it was a dive or they would have given a retrospective yellow." So I am entirely in agreement with you.

Agree entirely, have also tried to explain it on various other threads that this is as far as I know not an indication from FA that the penalty was incorrect but merely an interpretation of the events in the light of when a straight red can be given.

alfie

This is why we get frustrated, they have made a decision fortunately in our favour, but make no attempt to enlighten supporters on the reasoning, consequently we just end up making guesses and speculations.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Sting of the North

Quote from: alfie on December 23, 2020, 06:05:38 PM
This is why we get frustrated, they have made a decision fortunately in our favour, but make no attempt to enlighten supporters on the reasoning, consequently we just end up making guesses and speculations.

Agreed. The lack of transparency is astonishing, yet expected.