watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Netflix sports films and docs.

Started by I Ronic, December 03, 2020, 08:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Ronic

Watched "The Battered B@st@rds of Baseball" last night on Netflix.
The Portland Mavericks were the only independent team in baseball in the early 70's start by the actor Bing Russel (father of Kurt Russel)
The documentary is absolutely brilliant. About how true fans of a sport, washed up or past over players can compete and win.
Well worth a watch.

Jim©

Watched Undefeated the other day, about a college american football team- pretty powerful stuff, worth watching if you've not seen it.

I Ronic

I'll check it out. Thanks Jim. Going back to "The Battered B@st@rds of Baseball" it's about grass roots sport and ordinary people. They just happen to watch and play baseball.

Jim©

Will watch it, thanks.
There's also a docu film Next Goal Wins about American Samoa football team (the ones that got beat 31-0 by Australia). Very amusing and heart-warming story.

FFC In Oz

Last Chance U is a fun watch - highly recommended.

FFC In Oz

Oh, and The Last Dance is the best sports doco I've seen (I'm a basketball fan though)

filham

I want to see the film called "Keeper" about that great Man. City goalkeeper Bert Trautman. I think it was released at the end of 2019 but it was not shown at my local cinemas. Anyone know what happened to it and how to access it.

Asotosyios

Quote from: filham on December 03, 2020, 12:22:36 PM
I want to see the film called "Keeper" about that great Man. City goalkeeper Bert Trautman. I think it was released at the end of 2019 but it was not shown at my local cinemas. Anyone know what happened to it and how to access it.

You can purchase it for 5.99 on Amazon - not sure if you can find it somewhere else.

The Last Dance is fantastic and you don't even have to be a basketball fan to like it.

The Battered B@st@rds of Baseball - very interesting and entertaining. It shows what a club means to the fans and the community.

bog

There is one about Michael Jordan. I cannot recall the name of it now but it was phenomenal.

3-lions

Not a fan of baseball. That Brad Pitt Film about the Stats is as far as i've got. Yes it was great film as is Draft Day, NFL film... seen that Trautman film and the 'too long winded' Last Dance. Good, but not a patch on Mo Farah No Easy Mile, from 2016.. if you haven't already. Respect to him and his 'sacrifices'   067.gif to reach his goal.   :Haynes The Maestro: :hook: another must see is imo Conor McGregor: Notorious, well made and I dont watch MMA. The Tottenham one where they follow the Side 'All or Nothing was ok, but revealed nothing about Mourinho's supposed tactical genius, not a sight of his 'famed' tactics board / book. Just a lot of shouting. 086.gif.

Carborundum

Not on Netflix, but can recommend ESPN's "Forty two to one" film about James Buster Douglas, who beat Mike Tyson at long odds against.  In one sense it's a classic Rocky story, but it seemed better than Rocky largely because the portrait it painted of his parents moved me almost to tears.

bill taylors apprentice

I also recommend "Last goal wins" in fact I think I'll watch it again.

If you like Golf "The Short game" is wonderful.

Plus, there's a series of short docu's called "Losers" which tells the stories of epic tales of defeat.
Some are famous like golfer Jean van de velde and some not like Sled dog musher who spent years chasing a title in the famous Iditarod, but a harrowing experience in 2016 tested her fortitude and changed her life for the better.