more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 04/12/20...

Started by WhiteJC, December 05, 2020, 12:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Sister Bliss from Faithless

Tottenham have never before been so far above Arsenal going into a Premier League north London derby, but will form count for anything on Sunday?

Spurs, who are top of the table after 10 matches and have not lost in the league since the opening weekend of the season, are guaranteed to be at least 12 places above the Gunners at kick-off.

Their previous biggest advantage was 11 places, when Spurs were 10th and Arsenal were 21st before they met on the second weekend of the 1993-94 campaign. Arsenal won that game 1-0.

"Arsenal's performance in the win against Manchester United at the start of November was excellent," BBC Sport football expert Mark Lawrenson said. "But since then they haven't come anywhere near that in the Premier League."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 Premier League matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This weekend, he is up against Sister Bliss, from iconic electronic outfit Faithless.

Faithless have just released All Blessed, their first studio album for 10 years, and have launched a campaign for the Choose Love Help Refugees charity called #playitforward which is designed to raise money for charity through the sharing and giving of music.

"Play It Forward sounds like a football charity, but it isn't," Sister Bliss told BBC Sport. "Along with a lot of other artists, we are signing and auctioning lots of vinyl to help people who are living in the most unimaginably tough conditions."

Fans returned to football matches this week and Sister Bliss knows all about the difference a crowd makes when you are performing - whether it be music or sport.

"At the moment our new music can't exist in the arena that it was supposed to - with a live audience at an indoor venue or festival," she explained.

"The album is about the life we are living right now, and finding empathy and tolerance, and the things in life we need to nurture us and connect us to each other.

"It has got very warm vibes - people have said it is like getting a big hug. You can still experience that listening to it through your headphones, but I am just gutted I can't play it to people in person and have that amazing connection, which is an extraordinary feeling.

"Sport is the same. For the past few months, the emotion and energy you get from being the person playing in front of a crowd, and where that takes you, has been missing from the experience.

"Let's hope we all get it back soon, because we all yearn to feel that again."

Sister Bliss is well-versed in the fortunes of several different London football clubs because of her Tottenham-supporting dad and her band-mates - Maxi Jazz is a Crystal Palace fan and associate director of the Eagles, while Rollo Armstrong follows Arsenal.

"I feel like I have got allegiances in north London and south London," she added. "Is that even allowed?!"

"But Arsenal probably need all the support they can get right now. As Rollo lamented to me this week, they cannot get their act together at the moment."

Man City v Fulham (15:00 BST)

Fulham got a really good win against Leicester last week - they played very, very well.

Scott Parker's side are easy on the eye and that's a big tick for him, however I don't think they'll have much of the ball against City.

The Cottagers aren't ones to park the bus in front of teams, but the only chance they have against Pep Guardiola's side is by having possession because they're not very good at the back.

It's also worth remembering that City have won their past nine matches against Fulham and scored a hatful of goals in the process.

I wouldn't say it's a 'free fixture' but if Fulham get beaten 3-0 or 4-0 it won't raise eyebrows.

Lawro's prediction: 4-0

Sister Bliss' prediction: City got five goals against Burnley last week and I think they could do the same again here. 5-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55144701

WhiteJC

Fantasy football tips for gameweek 11: Time for Patrick Bamford, Riyad Mahrez & Bruno Fernandes?

So the first thing in any fantasy football manager's in-tray this week is what to do with your Aston Villa and Newcastle assets and, when I looked on Wednesday morning, that was quite a lot of you....

It's quite conceivable you've got Emi Martinez, Jack Grealish and one of Ollie Watkins or Callum Wilson in your squad because of an enticing set of fixtures for both clubs before the Christmas schedule.

We'll have to wait and see what the Covid-19 situation means for Newcastle's next game at home to West Brom, but Aston Villa will be back in action away to Wolves in gameweek 12 so, depending on the make-up of your squad, you might just be able to leave a Villa player or two on the bench this week without it having to affect your transfer plans or forcing you to use the free hit chip. Try and keep the chips for when you really need them if you can.

Personally, I've decided to sell Martinez, partly because Villa's number two Jed Steer is my back-up, which would then see me without a keeper for gameweek 11, and partly because Villa have conceded 11 goals in their past five games, with Martinez only saving four of the past 12 shots on target he has faced.

I didn't quite have the budget to stretch to Edouard Mendy, who's gone up to £5.2m this week, or Lukasz Fabianski at £5.1m, so I have plumped for Southampton's Alex McCarthy, who costs £4.6m and has games against Brighton (a), Sheffield United (h) and Arsenal (a) to come in the next few weeks.

Grealish will sit on my bench and return in gameweek 12.

Time to bring in Bamford?

If you are thinking of removing Wilson then what about bringing in Leeds striker Patrick Bamford?

Some would still grumble that he misses too many opportunities, but at just £6.1m as a regular starter in the team that statistically has created the most chances in the league from open play, he seems like a very good option.

As Statman Dave pointed out in our Fantasy 606 podcast this week Bamford has had the most shots (40) in the Premier League this season and he has been on the end of 12 'big chances' - more than any other striker in the competition.

Apparently he has missed nine of those but he has already scored seven goals this season and those chances are going to keep coming.

I also really like the look of Leeds' Rafinha as a midfield option at £5.4m - he's started their past two Premier League games, had four shots in each of them and scored the winner at Goodison Park in Gameweek 10.

Full-backs Luke Ayling and Stuart Dallas are also great value at just £4.5m each and offer plenty of potential for attacking returns in Marcelo Bielsa's offensively minded set-up.

Mahrez to put Fulham to the sword?

The most tantalising fixture for fantasy managers this week will be Manchester City's home game against Fulham - although fans of the visitors will quite rightly point to their superb win at Leicester last time out and City's goals drying up again against a stubborn Porto defence on Tuesday.

It is a fool who tries to predict any Pep Guardiola line-up but the fact Riyad Mahrez got a complete rest in midweek must make him very tempting to fantasy managers at just £8.3m, having already started seven of the nine Premier League games this season and coming off the back of his hat-trick against Burnley.

He is City's top points-scorer in FPL this season. However, 33 of those 45 points have come in just two games - so there is always the risk he might not fire against Fulham even if he does start the game.

Kevin de Bruyne is your best bet for City having also been able to put his feet up on Tuesday night, but if you've got Raheem Sterling as well - like my Fantasy 606 friend Chris Sutton - and you've been frustrated with just seven points in the past five gameweeks, then stick with him because there is nothing more annoying than selling a player and watching them make hay.

One player I'm very glad I've stuck with right from the start is Bruno Fernandes.

His price has gone up from £10.5m to £10.8m after 38 points in the past three gameweeks but it will be money well spent I assure you. He has scored a remarkable 121 points in 11 away games since joining Manchester United in January and now it is West Ham's turn to try and stop him in gameweek 11.

Jose Mourinho has given us Harry Kane owners a little scare about potentially missing the north London derby on Sunday through injury, particularly considering a phenomenal record against Arsenal that has seen him score 10 goals in 11 Premier League games against them.

He may well be in lots of managers' minds as a captaincy choice this weekend. I've got Kane but my armband will either go to De Bruyne or Fernandes.

That decision has to be made by 11:00 GMT on Saturday before Burnley against Everton at 12.30. Good luck and please get in touch with us on the Fantasy 606 podcast using the e-mail address - [email protected]

BBC Radio 5 Live's Alistair Bruce-Ball hosts the Fantasy 606 podcast with former Blackburn Rovers and Norwich City striker Chris Sutton and Stat Man Dave.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55169693

WhiteJC

Ticket Ballot Details

The ballot to secure tickets for Fulham's December home games will open for supporters to enter from 10am this morning.
THE BALLOT

This ballot is open exclusively to 2019/20 Season Ticket Holders and will remain open until 12pm (midday) on Monday 7th December.

The first ballot cycle covers the following home fixtures:

Fulham v Liverpool on Sunday 13th December, 4:30pm
    Fulham v Brighton & Hove Albion on Wednesday 16th December, 8pm
    Fulham v Southampton on Saturday 26th December, 3pm

Tickets for each fixture will be priced at £40 for adults and £20 for juniors, young adults and over 65s.

Seats will be allocated in the Hammersmith and Putney Ends.

Accessibility tickets are priced at £20 for adults and £10 for juniors and concessions, with personal assistant tickets free.
*Please note that when applying for tickets you will have two options: General Admission or Accessibility Tickets. If applying for a junior seat, this price class will be debited as so if successful in the ballot.

Entrance to the ballot cycle means supporters could be allocated a ticket at any of the three fixtures available. Fans entering the ballot should therefore be prepared to attend any one of the available matches.

In order to provide opportunity for as many Season Ticket Holders to attend matches this season, once a supporter has received a ticket for a match they will be unable to apply for future ballots until all other Season Ticket Holders who wish to enter have been successful.

Fans who are unsuccessful in all three fixtures of the first ballot cycle can re-apply for future games and will have the same priority as those who only enter the second ballot cycle, and so on.

In the event of demand within a ballot cycle being low, supporters may win more than one fixture within that cycle of games.
APPLYING FOR TICKETS

Season Ticket Holders will need to have their OneFulham Account set up in order to log in to the online tickets site.

Tickets will be allocated one per person.

Supporters can apply for tickets in groups of up to five people, who must all be from one household. In order to do this online, please ensure you have connected your family members to your account in the Friends & Family Network section of the tickets site. More information of how to do this can be found here.

If successful in the ballot, you will be allocated seats next to those who you registered with. Please remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that your group is adhering to current UK government guidelines.

Supporters should not apply for the ballot if at the date of the match you will be required to self-isolate following travel to the UK from a foreign country, or you are prevented from travelling to London as a result of being in Tier 3 of the UK Government's Covid-19 restrictions.

The ballot will be drawn after the window ends at midday on Monday 7th December. There is no first come, first served basis, and all entries will have a fair chance.

Supporters who are successful will be notified via email on the following dates:

Liverpool – Monday 7th December
    Brighton & Hove Albion – Wednesday 9th December
    Southampton – Friday 18th December

Payment will automatically be taken from the provided debit or credit card 3-4 days after notification.

Please note, those who are unsuccessful will not be emailed.

Supporters with accessibility needs will also need to apply through the ballot, selecting the appropriate category class upon application.

TICKETING FAQS
CODE OF CONDUCT

When applying for tickets fans will need to agree to a new Code of Conduct, which outlines the safety and security measures which will be in place at Craven Cottage.

Click here to read the Code of Conduct
YOUR SAFETY & WHAT TO EXPECT

The experience of attending matches will be different to what fans were previously used to.

More information as to what to expect on matchdays can be found in our dedicated FAQs section.

Visit Matchday FAQs
THANK YOU

This has been a challenging and unprecedented time for everyone, and we want to thank supporters for their patience, understanding and ongoing support.

Whilst we understand that some fans will be disappointed that they will miss out on attending matches, we have and will continue to adapt to the continually evolving situation.

The Club will endeavour to respond to any supporter queries as soon as possible, however, as we anticipate a high volume of inbound enquiries we politely ask for your patience.

We hope to be able to welcome more fans back to Craven Cottage as and when we are able to do so.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Ticket-Ballot-Details/

WhiteJC

Loftus-Cheek getting back to his best, says Parker

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is showing glimpses of why Fulham were so keen to sign him on loan from Chelsea.

And Whites boss Scott Parker has his hopes pinned on a return to form for an England international who lost nearly all of last season because of an Achilles injury.

A rusty Loftus-Cheek made his Premier League debut for Fulham in the 1-1 draw at Sheffield United in October, but has gradually exerted more influence over the subsequent four games.

Parker said: "Ruben's been out for a lot of time and he does need games.

"Are we seeing the best Ruben Loftus-Cheek? I think there are parts where we see his proven quality in games.

"I think the more games he plays the better we're going to see him.

"I see someone, like against Everton, who came on and you could see what he can bring to a team – how good he is with the ball technically. He can only get better."

Meanwhile, Kenny Tete is closing in on a return to action but will not be involved against Manchester City this weekend.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/loftus-cheek-getting-back-to-his-best-says-parker

WhiteJC

Rocky Road to Safety
It was quite apt that two days after boxing veterans Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. returned to the ring, we also showed that there is still fight in us. Parker had previously used pugilism as an analogy to describe his approach to the season: "With the right mindset we'll make sure the downs don't knock us out," he said. "A jab on the nose, guard back up again and start punching."

This was said before the first game of the season against Arsenal. Four games later, with eleven goals conceded and zero points earned, and he could have been forgiven for thinking that his team was already knocked out cold before being able to muster a counter punch.

The media were quick to throw scorn in Fulham's direction. After a pummelling defeat inflicted by Aston Villa, pundit Jamie Carragher was salivating with criticism on Sky's Monday Night Football saying, "I'm more certain of Fulham going down than Liverpool winning the league". This stinging condemnation came after only three league games.

Absorbing such blows so early in the season could have been a morale killer. A spat between Parker and the Director of Football arose after the latter publicly apologised for the Villa defeat. More self-inflicted uppercuts in the form of missed penalties and poor defending were to come as the season progressed.

Given all these issues it is not unreasonable to expect that one of Parker's biggest challenges would be to keep camaraderie in the dressing room high. German managerial star, Julian Nagelsmann, is quoted as saying, "Thirty percent of coaching is tactics, seventy percent social competence". At times that scale has probably been more like 10% tactics and 90% social competence for Fulham and Parker.

Off the pitch, a bloated squad has seen Parker having to exclude the likes of Kevin McDonald, Stefan Johansen, and Jean Michel Seri from Premier League registration. All three were unable to find a move away from the club and still report to training. Michael Hector suffered a severe loss of form and was removed from the starting eleven. Even Aleksandar Mitrovic has failed to find his form.

Our first-choice centre-back pairing of Tosin Adarabioyo and Joachim Andersen were both signed on the last day of the transfer window. The squad consists of five loanees where again it is presumably a challenge to integrate them into the squad and to get everyone fighting for a common cause. For much of the season, Parker has been fighting with one hand tied behind his back.

With all this baggage and heading into the Leicester City game, Fulham had not yet earned the right to be confident of achieving a positive result. However, after surviving an early scare where Leicester had hit the post and then the bar, Ademola Lookman was played clean through on goal after a powerful run from Frank Anguissa.

Lookman, letting the perfectly weighted pass run on ahead of him, took one touch to compose himself. Positioned twelve yards from goal for the first time since that infamous West Ham penalty, but to the left of the penalty spot, he opened his body up and coolly slotted the ball into the corner of the net. A perfect finish added to his assist against Everton in the previous match, and his continued productivity will go a long way in atoning for that penalty sin.

The form of a less courageous player would have completely crumbled after the public ridicule he received. Ten minutes later and another Fulham player had the opportunity of redemption. A good long ball from Ola Aina and a persevering run from Bobby Reid saw the latter earning a penalty from a clumsy Leicester defender.

Ivan Cavaleiro eagerly grabbed the ball. The spectre of his own penalty embarrassment against Everton, and the pressure of the team having missed our last three penalties, both cast a large shadow. Facing a goalkeeper, Kasper Schmeichel, with twenty-two career penalty saves, Cavalerio smashed the ball into the net.

The two goals secured our second victory of the season. It is a testament to Parker and his coaching staff that the players got their guard back up and left a few blows on Leicester. It also showed that the dressing room is still responding to his management. There is a long way to go to achieve Premier League survival, but this victory could see us standing tall at the end of the season.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-12-03-rocky-road-to-safety/

WhiteJC

Pep Guardiola has big selection decision with John Stones for Man City vs Fulham

Manchester City defender John Stones dropped to the bench for the midweek trip to FC Porto in the Champions League.

Pep Guardiola has to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to John Stones and Benjamin Mendy on Saturday.

With Fulham the visitors, Manchester City are looking to register another three points to climb back up the Premier League ahead of next weekend's showdown with Manchester United.

Guardiola was able to rest a number of his more important players on Tuesday for the draw at Porto in the Champions League, and he will be able to rotate more in the final group game at home to Marseille next week having secured top spot in Group C.

Among the players rested in Portugal was both Stones and Mendy, with the pair impressing in their previous two starts and earning praise from their manager. Their demotion to the bench at Porto was likely for fitness reasons, and they will hope for a recall for the visit of Fulham.

After all, Guardiola himself said that good performances will see a player retain his place in the side only last week.

"Ruben [Dias] is playing every game because he doesn't make mistakes, he leads the line and does almost everything perfect," Guardiola said.

"It doesn't matter about the past or who you were, you have to win your position every three days. There'll be some players who are playing good and will not be rotated but if players are playing good they have more chances to stay on the pitch."

"The guys who play good are going to continue to play, if they don't make mistakes that cost a lot - especially in defence - they'll have more chance to continue in the team."

If Stones and Mendy were rested in Porto, by Guardiola's own standards they should return against Fulham. However, the next three fixtures - at home to Fulham and Marseille, and then the trip to United - will require rotation. The fitness concerns over three games in a week will take priority over any other considerations.

In central defence, Ruben Dias has started all four games since the international break, and Aymeric Laporte has sat out the last three. It would make sense for Laporte to come in against Fulham with Dias given a deserved rest. The natural partner would be Stones, to keep the momentum going for the Englishman.

Then, Guardiola could conceivably rest his 'top three' centre-backs against Marseille, giving Nathan Ake and Eric Garcia some valuable game-time in that game to ensure he has Stones, Laporte and Dias all fully fit for Old Trafford. Whatever partnerships Guardiola chooses, it will indicate his latest order of hierarchy among the centre-backs - the Fulham game is the most important by virtue of being the next game and the need for points in the league, then the United game will take preference over the dead rubber Marseille fixture.

That derby will pose another selection dilemma, especially if Stones plays well in either of the next two games. Does Guardiola stick to his word that solid performances won't see a player get dropped, or will he reunite Laporte and Dias against a United attack who have got the better of the Blues in three of the last four meetings.

This is a debate that will only get stronger this week, but for now Guardiola could do worse than reinstating Stones for the Fulham game. As well as it being a sensible opportunity to give Stones another chance to impress, it would back up his comments that strong performances keep you in the team.

If Guardiola looks elsewhere and uses Stones against Marseille, for example, he might get a different message that there is still a block to his route back into consideration for the big games.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-stones-guardiola-fulham-19397809

WhiteJC

Fulham player 'rejected' Man United and Tottenham for specific reasons – Made 'right career choice'

Fulham took Joachim Andersen on a loan deal from Lyon on deadline day of the last window.

The centre-back left Sampdoria for the Ligue 1 side in 2019 and having struggled in his debut season in France, the Dane was allowed to join the Cottagers on a temporary deal.

Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur were previously linked before he agreed to join Lyon.

BT in Denmark claims the defender is now having a lot of success at Craven Cottage after rejecting 'big clubs' in the past.

The 24-year-old has 'moved all the way to the top' at Fulham in 'record time', and this suggests he made the 'right career choice'.

According to the report, it's well known that Manchester United and Tottenham looked at Andersen before he moved to Lyon.

BT provides specific reasons why he decided against joining either of the two English clubs.

It's claimed Andersen 'rejected' Tottenham because the 'possibility of resale was poor', and gave a 'cold shoulder' to the Old Trafford club because of the uncertainty around Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's future.

There were also bids from AC Milan and Valencia, but Champions League football weighed in his decision to pick Lyon.

BT state the player picked Fulham in the summer as Scott Parker was 'crazy' for his signing and the agreement also included a good financial deal.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/pl-player-rejected-man-united-and-tottenham-for-specific-reasons-made-right-career-choice/

WhiteJC

Fulham player says 'something needs to be done' about future – Wants 'concrete chat' with Parker

Stefan Johansen last featured for Fulham in the Cottagers' 3-0 defeat to Brentford in the EFL Cup on October 1st.

Since then, he has made one appearance for Fulham's U23 side in November and the midfielder was forced to play in the Premier League 2 after Scott Parker left him out of the league squad for this season.

Johansen's contract at Craven Cottage runs until 2022, but he will have to look for solutions in the winter market, if there's no change in his situation.

The former Celtic man will turn 30 in January and speaking to the Norwegian media in November, the player admitted he's in search of a last "big contract".

TV2 have interviewed the Fulham man to discuss Norway's decision to sack Lars Lagerbäck and replace him with Ståle Solbakken.

The new national team coach has already stated playing time at club level will be crucial when he picks players for upcoming international fixtures. After Solbakken's latest comments, Johansen admitted he wants more clarity on his future.

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that this isn't ideal. You can train as much as you want, but you have to play matches to get fit," he said.

"I'm sure there will be an evaluation right after Christmas, where we have to agree on what is the best way forward in my career, whether I stay at Fulham or if I move. At least something needs to be done.

"I've talked to him [Parker] for a while, but we need to have a more concrete chat about what's the deal. Of course, I don't want to sit in the stands for the rest of my career."

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-player-says-future-evaluated-right-christmas-admits-something-needs-done/

WhiteJC

Manchester City v Fulham

TEAM NEWS

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he is confident Sergio Aguero will be back to his best once he has fully recovered from his knee injury.

The Argentina forward has been ruled out of Saturday's Premier League match with Fulham at the Etihad Stadium.

It means Aguero will have played in only four of City's last 29 games since he suffered the injury against Burnley on 22 June.

"When he is fit, he'll be the same player," said the City boss.

Concerns have been raised about the 32-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

"Of course age is age and the physicality is different," Guardiola added. "He will need a bit more time than [Phil] Foden or Raheem [Sterling]. But I'm optimistic he will help us this season.

"What Sergio needs is for there to be no pain in the knee. Today he feels much better. With one or two weeks training in normal conditions he will come back.

"I want him back as soon as possible. His sense of goal is unique. We are already five or six months without him, that's a long time."

Fulham head coach Scott Parker has a fully-fit squad aside from long-term absentee Kenny Tete.

Defender Tosin Adarabioyo, who signed from Manchester City in September, is set to feature against his former club.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham got a really good win against Leicester - they played very, very well.

Scott Parker's side are easy on the eye and that's a big tick for him. However, I don't think they'll have much of the ball against Manchester City.

The Cottagers aren't ones to park the bus in front of teams, but the only chance they have against Pep Guardiola's side is by having possession because they're not very good at the back.

It's also worth remembering that City have won their past nine matches against Fulham and scored a hatful of goals in the process.

I wouldn't say it's a 'free fixture' but if Fulham get beaten 3-0 or 4-0 it won't raise eyebrows.

Prediction: 4-0

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Manchester City have won their past nine games against Fulham in all competitions by an aggregate score of 27-3.
    Fulham are on a 15-match winless run against City in league and cup (D3, L12).
    The Whites have gone seven hours and 51 minutes without a goal against City in all competitions.
    The sides met in the FA Cup fourth round at Etihad Stadium in January, with City winning 4-0.

Manchester City

Manchester City's tally of 15 points after nine fixtures is their lowest since 2008-09, when they had 13.
    They are looking to win successive league games for the first time since a six-match sequence between July and September.
    The five goals they scored against Burnley last weekend was as many as in their previous six league fixtures.
    City are unbeaten in their last 39 Premier League home games against promoted opposition (W35, D4).
    Riyad Mahrez, with four league goals, is the only player to score more than twice in the top flight for City this term.
    If selected, Phil Foden will be making his 50 Premier League appearance. Only two other City players have reached that landmark before their 21st birthday,

Fulham

Fulham have won two of their past four league matches. They had previously taken just one point from their opening six games.
    The Cottagers are attempting successive Premier League away victories for the first time since August 2013.
    Scott Parker's side have seven points after 10 games, which is two more than they had at the same stage of their previous Premier League season in 2018-19.
    They have lost 27 of their past 28 Premier League fixtures against the established top-six teams, drawing the other at Manchester United in February 2014.
    Fulham have conceded a league-high 19 goals.
    They have been awarded five league penalties this season, second only to Leicester's tally of eight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55111847

WhiteJC

Ola's GOTM Nomination

Ola Aina's wonderful strike against West Bromwich Albion has been nominated for the Premier League's November Goal of the Month award.

It was lovely build-up between Aina, Bobby De Cordova-Reid and Aleksandar Mitrović to set up the chance, which the former took full advantage of by spanking it into the top corner on his supposedly weaker foot.

As good a goal as it was, it was also vitally important in giving Fulham a cushion against the Baggies as we secured our first win of the season.

Aina is up against James Ward-Prowse, Danny Ings, Jamie Vardy, Eberechi Eze, Solly March, Riyad Mahrez and Raphinha, and you can vote for the Fulham man here.

The vote closes at 1pm on Monday, with the winner announced later in the week.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Ola-s-GOTM-Nomination/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Manchester City vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of Manchester City vs. Fulham and helping us with this show was David Mooney from the Blue Moon Podcast.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/12/4/22152657/cottage-talk-preview-manchester-city-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Report: Palace U23s fall to defeat after encouraging start v Fulham

Fulham 5-2 Crystal Palace U23s

Crystal Palace Under-23s fell to a 5-2 defeat against Fulham on Friday afternoon despite an encouraging first-half display, with the Cottagers proving too clinical after the interval.

Summary

Max Meyer and Stephen Henderson are named in the starting lineup.
    Jay Rich-Baghelou's strike gives Palace a seventh-minute lead.
    Rob Street doubles the visitors' advantage with a close-range header.
    Jean-Pierre Tiehi pulls one back for Fulham.
    Half-time: Fulham 1-2 Palace
    Fabio Carvalho levels the scores soon after the break.
    Fulham take a 3-2 lead through Carvalho's second.
    Carvalho completes his hat-trick from the spot
    Tiehi makes it 5-2.
    Full-time: Fulham 5-2 Palace

Palace started the game on the front foot and made an early spell of pressure count when Kian Flanagan set up Rich-Baghelou, resulting in his impressive strike from distance crashing into the net to make it 1-0 after just seven minutes.

The visitors continued to probe the Fulham defence after breaking the deadlock, and they were not far away from adding a second when Street saw his low finish saved after he was teed-up on the left side of the box.

Meyer produced a moment of class to orchestrate Palace's next chance as he twisted away from a challenge before feeding the ball into Street. The Palace frontman did well to evade the reach of a nearby defender, but curled his strike just wide of the right post.

However, Palace did eventually make their continued dominance count in the 41st minute. A free-flowing spell of possession resulted in the visitors winning a corner on the left flank, and it was Meyer who met the delivery and produced an improvised flick to find Street at the back post. The forward then directed a composed header into the right side of the net to double Palace's lead.

With Palace seemingly comfortable in the lead, Fulham produced an immediate response and opened their account just two minutes later. Carvalho slipped a pass through to Tiehi in the penalty box and the striker slotted the ball underneath Henderson to ensure there was just one goal to separate the sides heading into the interval.

The Cottagers emerged from the break in determined fashion and this saw Henderson tested early in the second period. Sylvester Jasper whipped a promising free-kick towards goal, but the Palace stopper did well to push it away from danger.

Fulham levelled the scores in the 56th minute when an intricate move culminated in Jasper sending a disguised pass to Carvalho just inside the box, and he then produced a quick-fire effort to drill the ball into the left side of the net.

The hosts now had the momentum and their continuous pressure led to them taking a 3-2 lead eight minutes later. It was the same successful combination with Jasper once again the provider as he played in Carvalho who took his shot from a tight angle and lifted it in to put Fulham in the driving seat.

Palace were now looking to forge a route back into the game as they started applying pressure on the Fulham defence for the first time since the break. Reece Hannam conjured a golden opportunity when his dangerous delivery evaded both Fulham centre-backs, but the arriving Street also failed to make a connection.

Shaun Derry's side registered another major chance when Rich-Baghelou put his close-range header high, but Fulham won a spot-kick soon after when the ball hit Noah Watson's hand inside the box. Carvalho stepped up and slotted home to make it 4-2.

Fulham further increased their advantage when Jayden Harris' marauding run down the left wing saw him enter the box, and pull the ball back for Tiehi who poked home from close range to complete the scoring for Fulham in the 82nd minute.

The match proved to be a steep learning curve for Palace despite their promising first-half display, and Derry will be hoping his side can bounce back when they host Newcastle later in December.

Fulham: Ashby-Hammond, Aina, McAvoy, Mundle-Smith, Larkeche, Page, Hilton, Harris, Jasper (De Havilland 90), Carvalho, Tiehi (Taylor-Crossdale (90+2).

Subs not used: Duru, Schwarzer.

Palace: Henderson, Russell, Hannam, Boateng, Rich-Baghelou, Banks (Pierrick 59), Woods, Meyer (Matthews 84), Flanagan (Spence 74).

Subs not used: Webber, Taylor.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/december/match-report-fulham-5-2-crystal-palace-under-23s/

WhiteJC

Parker hails Cavaleiro but insists Mitrovic can still play big role

Fulham boss Scott Parker says his team pose a different threat with Ivan Cavaleiro as a lone striker – but insists Aleksandar Mitrovic can still play a big role.

The Portuguese laid to rest the ghost of missed penalties when he converted at Leicester on Monday for what turned out to be the winner.

Meanwhile, the man forced to watch from the bench until he came on for the final few minutes, passed up a golden chance for 3-1 with a gaping goal at his mercy – albeit one from 50 yards.

It's fair to say this is not Aleksandar Mitrovic's time, although Parker is reluctant to agree the Serb doesn't suit the counter-attacking style that's meat and drink to Cavaleiro.

"Aleks can definitely fit into that," Parker said.

"But Cav has done very, very well as a nine. There's a different dynamic to what Aleks brings. Cav can stretch back lines a little bit.

"In terms of positives and weaknesses, they probably balance out each other. Both are going to be needed for different games at different times in the season. Every team in this division has that flexibility.

"Even though Cav's not really a recognised number nine, he's come in over the last two games and has done really well."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-hails-cavaleiro-but-insists-mitrovic-can-still-play-big-role

WhiteJC

Ballot Update

Following today's ticket ballot launch, in which the Club has received a high number of opening day entries, we are aware that a number of supporter enquiries have been attempted via email and phone.

Please be assured that the [email protected] and [email protected] email inboxes will continue to be monitored over the weekend, and the team will endeavour to respond to your query or provide support as quickly as possible.

In order to help manage requests and provide response in a timely manner, when contacting the Ticket Office we politely ask that fans please avoid sending emails to both of the above email addresses.

The ballot remains open for Season Ticket Holders to enter online at eticketing.co.uk/fulhamfc until midday on Monday 7th December.

Any supporters who are experiencing difficulty and subsequently send a ballot application request via email prior to the 12pm deadline on Monday will have their application honoured, providing the relevant eligibility criteria is met.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Ballot-Update/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker talks up Tosin Adarabioyo potential

Fulham manager Scott Parker believes Tosin Adarabioyo has the potential to become a "top Premier League centre-half" ahead of their clash with his former club Manchester City on Saturday.

The 23-year-old defender joined the Cottagers for an undisclosed fee from Manchester City on a three-year deal in October and has impressed since his arrival in an entirely new back four.

Parker admitted he had followed the player's progress for a number of years and insisted there is more to come from the youngster after some impressive performances already this season.

"I think Tosin's a player, I think value for money it was a great deal for us because I first saw Tosin play for Manchester City Under-23s against Tottenham Under-23s when I was there for my year with the under-18s and he shone out there," Parker said.

"Last year at Blackburn I kept a close eye on him and he had a very good season under Tony Mowbray and what they did; he's young, really lovely on the ball.

"(His) development's still got loads and loads... there's development in him to become a better player than what we're seeing but there's no doubt that he's come in and for someone so young and in a new environment, he's really hit the ground running.

"It's the first time he's played in the Premier League on a consistent basis so yeah I'm really pleased with him.

"I still think there's more to come, there are so many other areas that he can keep improving in, and he will which is brilliant to know because you can see him fit into the team and he's done very well."

Adarabioyo was born in Chorlton and came through the Manchester City academy but was limited to just eight first-team appearances and also spent seasons away from the Etihad at West Brom and Blackburn, but Parker said he has learned a lot from former manager Pep Guardiola.

"I think you can definitely see (it) the way he is, he's a ball-playing centre-half, plays through the lines, nice with the ball and confident with the ball so there's definitely that element that you can tell he's been schooled in a certain way and it's probably the other side that we need to keep working on.

"The defending, the bread and butter of his game – and Tosin does that as well. He's done extremely well, he's got loads and loads of facets to his game, he can keep growing and become a top Premier League centre-half."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/news/scott-parker-talks-up-tosin-adarabioyo-potential_425154.html

WhiteJC

Manchester City-Fulham Preview: A Must Win

Manchester City host Fulham trying to get their title challenge on track.

With Manchester City languishing in the lower half of the table nearly a quarter of the way through the season, the Citizens have to get things on track. Burnley last week was a real turning point, as they finally put in a trademark big result, but immediately followed it up with a sleepy midweek performance that has come to define the team this season.

With Fulham at home up next, City must get all three points. While its difficult and too early to label any match as "must win", the team will not have many easier results on paper this season. Given the start to the campaign, anything less than three points could continue a worrying trend: not only could City not win the title, they may not even compete for it.

Fulham's defense has been shaky, conceding 19 goals in 10 games, the worst rate in the Premier League. Although City had seriously struggled to find the back of the net for most of the season, the Burnley win could provide the spark needed to put up another big result as a signal of intent for the former champions. With a busy December period under way, this represents a real opportunity for City to start to make up some ground on leaders Tottenham and the rest of the contenders. Overall, this is a very important game for City, and one where three points are absolutely required.

Predicted XI: Ederson (GK), Kyle Walker (RB), Rúben Dias (CB), Aymeric Laporte (CB), Benjamin Mendy (LB), Rodri (CDM), Bernardo Silva (CAM), Kevin De Bruyne (CAM), Riyad Mahrez (RW), Gabriel Jesus (ST), Raheem Sterling (LW)

https://mancitysquare.com/2020/12/05/manchester-city-fulham-preview-must-win/

WhiteJC

Tosin Adarabioyo backed to develop into top-class Premier League defender

Fulham manager Scott Parker believes Tosin Adarabioyo has the potential to become a "top Premier League centre-half" ahead of their clash with his former club Manchester City on Saturday.

The 23-year-old defender joined the Cottagers for an undisclosed fee from Manchester City on a three-year deal in October and has impressed since his arrival in an entirely new back four.

Parker admitted he had followed the player's progress for a number of years and insisted there is more to come from the youngster after some impressive performances already this season.

"I think Tosin's a player, I think value for money it was a great deal for us because I first saw Tosin play for Manchester City Under-23s against Tottenham Under-23s when I was there for my year with the under-18s and he shone out there," Parker said.

"Last year at Blackburn I kept a close eye on him and he had a very good season under Tony Mowbray and what they did; he's young, really lovely on the ball.

"(His) development's still got loads and loads... there's development in him to become a better player than what we're seeing but there's no doubt that he's come in and for someone so young and in a new environment, he's really hit the ground running.

"It's the first time he's played in the Premier League on a consistent basis so yeah I'm really pleased with him.

"I still think there's more to come, there are so many other areas that he can keep improving in, and he will which is brilliant to know because you can see him fit into the team and he's done very well."

Adarabioyo was born in Chorlton and came through the Manchester City academy but was limited to just eight first-team appearances and also spent seasons away from the Etihad at West Brom and Blackburn, but Parker said he has learned a lot from former manager Pep Guardiola.

"I think you can definitely see (it) the way he is, he's a ball-playing centre-half, plays through the lines, nice with the ball and confident with the ball so there's definitely that element that you can tell he's been schooled in a certain way and it's probably the other side that we need to keep working on.

"The defending, the bread and butter of his game – and Tosin does that as well. He's done extremely well, he's got loads and loads of facets to his game, he can keep growing and become a top Premier League centre-half."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/tosin-adarabioyo-backed-to-develop-into-top-class-premier-league-defender-1607121049000

WhiteJC

Man City can belatedly achieve season first against Fulham

Manchester City take on Scott Parker's Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday looking to hit a first for the season

Consistency is key
Pep Guardiola bemoaned Manchester City's lack of consistency last season. Is it any wonder they were unable to challenge Liverpool for the title, he mused, when it took them until the penultimate league game for them to win four matches in a row?

The margin for error will almost certainly be greater this season with no team hitting the heights that Liverpool and the Blues did between 2017 and 2019, but Guardiola's team still need to perform much better than they have done so far.

Despite only sitting three points off the top of the table with a game in hand, City head into their 10th league fixture of this campaign looking to win consecutive matches for the first time in a row; for comparison, the longest it has ever taken Guardiola in his four previous seasons to do that has been four games.

You have to score the goals
City's inability to get results has largely been a product of their shortcomings in front of goal.

A Riyad Mahrez hat-trick against Burnley last week catapulted him to the top of City's scoring charts in the league - two clear in fact of his nearest rival.

For only one player to have more than two goals to their name after nine weeks does not reflect well on the team that have previously been untouchable as top scorers.

Guardiola and the players believe that more goals are not far away, so they will hope that those numbers will go up considerably pretty quickly.

Wealth of options in defence
In contrast to the attack, the defence hasn't looked better for a long time.

John Stones and Eric Garcia have both kept clean sheets in the last week and the signing of the dependable Ruben Dias looks more inspired with every match to mean that Aymeric Laporte - the man City couldn't function without last season - has been kept out of the team for three games.

Add in the return to fitness of Nathan Ake, Benjamin Mendy and Aleks Zinchenko and Guardiola is not only flush with options but flush with good options.

Watch out for Fulham bounce
Guardiola prefers to play the newly-promoted teams later rather than earlier in the first round of fixtures, when they have lost the winning mentality that saw them win most weeks.

But if he will have been happy to see the timing for Fulham (and West Brom, who they play in less than a fortnight) when the schedule was made, the match now looks a bit more tricky.

Having been cannon fodder in the early weeks of the season, Fulham were much improved in November. A first win of the campaign over West Brom was followed by narrow defeats to in-form West Ham and Everton before victory away at Leicester.

City should still comfortably win the game, but Fulham will be revitalised.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-fulham-team-latest-19399781

filham

So pleased that Lawro is predicting a huge 4-0 defeat for us today, that removes any pressure.
I always get nervous on the rare occasions he favours us.

Twig

Quote from: filham on December 05, 2020, 09:37:20 AM
So pleased that Lawro is predicting a huge 4-0 defeat for us today, that removes any pressure.
I always get nervous on the rare occasions he favours us.

You don't get nervous too often then!