News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The jury cant still be out on Scott Parker.

Started by colinwhite, December 13, 2020, 06:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 11, 2021, 09:40:44 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 11, 2021, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 11, 2021, 04:43:10 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 11, 2021, 03:30:39 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 11, 2021, 03:10:47 AM
Parker must continue to improve the team or its "Parker Out". Parker must get us above 30 points for the season to keep his job, come 17th if he is backed with big budget reinforcements and prove he keep us in the premier league in 2022/23. If we go down with a depleted squad that he cannot bring back up, then another manager is required.

We are not even halfway through the season and your saying you want the manager out if he fails to keep us up, what nonsense. If we finish 18th and go down it means that there 17 teams better than us. You must remember that will not signal the beginning of the end, it will only signal the end of the beginning. You seem to be always planning for Doomsday, are you by any chance in the undertaking business or do you work in a morgue.
For managers whichever Division you play in, every match is a challenge, every day is a challenge at training, keeping players happy, especially the ones not getting a game. Each player is different with his own characteristics and personality. Always trying to get the best out of them and attempt to drain every ounce of sweat out of them and keep them hungry, whist handling injuries, illness, suspensions and loss of form. They have to try and manage to keep all those plates in the air at once, that is why they are called managers, they have to manage and lead.
As they say, success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan. So try and appreciate and show appreciation to what he is achieving and how he is negotiating all the obstacles and potholes and banana skins that come his way. It's a 24 hour a day job, and it's 24/7 for a very good reason.

You're Correct. I would "Plan to avoid Doomsday" (i.e. losing parachute payments like QPR, Hull etc), because FFP (with parchate payments) has completely rigged the English League that which makes it very easy for clubs to hold their position as a "Yo-Yo" team, very difficult to rise above it quickly and once lost takes a minor miracle to regain (eg Wolves backroom deals or Maddison sale for Norwich). Rarely, does a team do it the transistion from the playoffs in a season.

If Scott Parker goes down with a decent squad (better than last time) and he thinks he can bring up back up again, then he can stay. If we go down and he thinks too many players must be sold to reach FFP so he thinks we have no chance, then Parker must go. Frankly, if Scott Parker does well and comes 18th with next seasons money already spent, then he might want a better team (like West Ham), because Parker won't hang around if we have don't have the players we need to get promoted again.

As an example, FFP is so ridiculous that Sheffield United is one of the worst premier league teams ever, and provided it reinforces its squad a little next season it could win the Championship, but any team losing their players will struggle to get automatic promotion.

Scott Parker goal should be to stay a yo-yo team and gradually improve, but if the club backs him with future seasons spending then he needs to deliver this season. I acknowledged he is improving the squad, but the Khan's have a big decision to make to they spend big to stay up to become a premier league club and/or do they ensure the planning keeps us a yo-yo club until the team cohesion is better. If Scott Parker wants to not spend and keep the squad together with a plan to come up again if required, I would 100% support that.

If Scott Parker wants gamble everything on Red and we get Black, then there is very little left for him to stay for. Football is dominated by money, spend all of next seasons budget to stay up and there is nothing left for next season.

You say the Khans will have a big decision to make, and that's what worries me as historically at times they have made costly errors of judgement. So I am not as confident as you seem to be in their decision making. Therefore perhaps the best decision is to spend to stay up rather than spend to try and come back up. Players moving in and out every year is not a good policy to embrace and destabilises the club and team, and the Chairman stated he wanted sustainability, and continuing to yo yo can only cause the string to wear and tear and break away from the yo yo, then where will we be.
Becoming what you call a yo yo club can only make you dizzy, and being dizzy can lead you to not only make  errors of judgement, but could also push you onto the scrap heap.

I don't think spending big to either Stay Up or Get a Double Relegation is a wise strategy for our DOF.

Spending money to stay up will be more advisable I would have thought as it will continue to supply the finance to sustain the club in the Premier. By going down we will lose money and players we would have kept if we stay in the Premier. Also we are more likely to attract better quality of players if we are in the Premier.  Let us hope our current D of F makes the right choice.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Parker now established for the rest of the season ,at least, as our manager. The team is looking solid but struggling to score goals and it is essential that TK comes up with a new striker in the next couple of weeks to demonstrate that he is giving Parker full support.

Gezza

Quote from: filham on January 11, 2021, 04:20:45 PM
Parker now established for the rest of the season ,at least, as our manager. The team is looking solid but struggling to score goals and it is essential that TK comes up with a new striker in the next couple of weeks to demonstrate that he is giving Parker full support.

I don't think it will be that easy to capture a quality striker in the January transfer window. Although if we don't I am sure the TK haters will be out in force.

YankeeJim

The mark of a good manager is, does he do well with what he has? Some coaches can handle the group of egos that a top six team has but likely couldn't get the best out of a poor team. Does anyone think Jose Mourinho could have kept up the lot we had in 2018? Sometimes the opposite is true. David Moyes comes to mind. He had solid success with a mid budget Everton and has West Ham playing as well as I can remember. Yet, he did poorly at Manu. Sir Alex was a legend at Manu and he was able to do a lot with less as his success in the SPL proved. He, I think, is the exception.
With a speedy, half decent striker acquisition this month, we'll stay up easily. Without, it'll be nip and tuck. Parker won't be able to do much in the later circumstance. We'll be tough to beat against the big boys but will continue to struggle to score against the rest. After years of not having a nil-nil at the Cottage, we'll likely have a dozen more.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

rebel

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 11, 2021, 05:29:29 PM
The mark of a good manager is, does he do well with what he has? Some coaches can handle the group of egos that a top six team has but likely couldn't get the best out of a poor team. Does anyone think Jose Mourinho could have kept up the lot we had in 2018? Sometimes the opposite is true. David Moyes comes to mind. He had solid success with a mid budget Everton and has West Ham playing as well as I can remember. Yet, he did poorly at Manu. Sir Alex was a legend at Manu and he was able to do a lot with less as his success in the SPL proved. He, I think, is the exception.
With a speedy, half decent striker acquisition this month, we'll stay up easily. Without, it'll be nip and tuck. Parker won't be able to do much in the later circumstance. We'll be tough to beat against the big boys but will continue to struggle to score against the rest. After years of not having a nil-nil at the Cottage, we'll likely have a dozen more.

There are managers that could have kept us up, you need to remember it was a three manager season. The Khan's lost their 'nerve', if we had Roy Hodgson, he would of kept us up. They 'booted' Slav out, when he was getting to grip with things, performances were improving, they hired Magath who offered nothing. Then they appointed Parker.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Gezza on January 11, 2021, 04:55:20 PM
Quote from: filham on January 11, 2021, 04:20:45 PM

I don't think it will be that easy to capture a quality striker in the January transfer window. Although if we don't I am sure the TK haters will be out in force.

Tony Khan needs to do what is "Best for this Club", not what is best for Scott Parker's future. TK is the co-owner and doesn't need to demonstrate his support of Scott Parker with a new striker. If a striker appears on the market that we can afford (ie. less than £20m) that will keep us up (38 points) then I'm sure TK will buy him; but no point buying someone worse than Mitrovic.

Truth: A striker that costs less than £20m that is better than Mitrovic that wants to join FFC might not exist.

Outcome: Parker needs to do the best he can with what's given, we should be able to get 30 points without reinforcements, but a few bad decisions our way, an extra player finding form and a bit of luck, we might get 38 pts.