watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

I had mine three weeks ago today so that means I should be protected quite well.... I hope so.

With luck i will have the second jab in toime to go to cyprus.. I will not go but the jab will be in time.
I will hapopy to go for a walk on Brighton beach, we haven't been anywhere for a year now!

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on March 05, 2021, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on March 05, 2021, 09:17:23 AM
Several sources of research suggest obesity has a major effect on infection rates by respiratory viruses.  Countries where populations are normally well within BMI (Body Mass Index) optimums of less than 30 and greater than 15 (for adults) seem to be healthier and less likely to be infected. 

Looks like there may be diet incentives coming from the government sometime soon and whilst not replacing vaccination could be a much healthier way to herd immunity in the future. 

That was pretty obvious from day 1 surely
Yes it would seem so and it is interesting that the World Obesity Foundation used WHO's World Obesity Day both last year and this to signal that if you are overweight you will become more susceptible to seasonal 'flu than simply via age alone.  The recent research paper by John Hopkins Coronavirus Observation Centre on obesity may therefore be placed in the virtue signalling category.   However, there are research papers which have concentrated on weight alone and it is a risk similar to 'tobacco causes early death' advice.   

Even without exercise younger children tend to breathe shorter and faster than adolescents and adults because their lung capacity is low and when infected children very rarely get serious Covid-19 symptoms.  This may suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted more readily if your breathing is deeper because your weight is causing you to work harder than your lungs are capable of sustaining even in modest activity.   Just what additional effort is added via wearing a mask appears to be an unknown.     

Twig

Quote from: ALG01 on March 05, 2021, 03:29:51 PM
I had mine three weeks ago today so that means I should be protected quite well.... I hope so.

With luck i will have the second jab in toime to go to cyprus.. I will not go but the jab will be in time.
I will hapopy to go for a walk on Brighton beach, we haven't been anywhere for a year now!

Brighton beach, ah yes I have vague memories of that. Seriously though, it will be wonderful to be able to enjoy just a bit more of our lovely country. I think I've walked and cycled every single street in my local area!

hovewhite

I'm gp5 and had mine

toshes mate

Here is a paper (preprint) that deals with the SARS-CoV-2 variants and, specifically, T-Cells.   Of note is that the T-Cells of import in the study occur from natural immunity and/or vaccination with the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines (which featured in the study).   This suggests that evidence of strong T-Cell behaviour previously seen in healthy immune systems may be just as significant as antibodies in reducing the severity of infection if not more so.   The comments section on the paper is interesting.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.27.433180v1.full

mrmicawbers

Going to get my vaccination today in Ramsgate although I live in Whitstable and that's the nearest centre to me.I have had covid and last week had my plasma taken for the antibodies in my system.This week I received a letter saying that I did not have enough in my system to give them to sick coronavirus patients,although the plasma can still be used.I would assume from this that without the vaccine I could catch it again.So anyone out there who thinks they are immune as they have already it might need to have a rethink.

blingo

Has anyone changed their minds about the vaccine with what's going on with blood clots?
I'm still going to wait.

SP

Quote from: blingo on March 15, 2021, 08:28:13 PM
Has anyone changed their minds about the vaccine with what's going on with blood clots?
I'm still going to wait.

No, I've just been able to book for tomorrow.

cookieg

I'm still going to wait.

Europe has although I can't help thinking that this is a convenient excuse for their mismanagement in signing contracts for vaccines early on.

cottage expat

I'm still going to wait.

No. If you look at the data the incidence of blood clots among the vaccinated and non-vaccinated is no different.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: cookieg on March 15, 2021, 10:08:43 PM
I'm still going to wait.

Europe has although I can't help thinking that this is a convenient excuse for their mismanagement in signing contracts for vaccines early on.
You could be right... looking at the WHO data,  40 people out of 10 million, numbers are less than you would expect during a non vaccine year... it is all quite suspicious??
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

sarnian

The European Union mucked up their purchase of vaccines, are jealous of the way the UK has tackled vaccination and they are short of supplies. They are looking for excuses to delay things until they receive enough stock to vaccinate their citizens at a closer rate to the UK.

Twig

I'm still going to wait.

No, and you should get yours.

davew

I'm still going to wait.
Had mine 4 weeks ago and looking forward to receiving the second dose. If some EU countries are possibly unduly worrying about the AZ vaccine then that should mean that there is more available for the UK and other countries in the short term. Who really knows if it is safe or not, you take the vaccine and you take your chances!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: sarnian on March 15, 2021, 11:09:24 PM
The European Union mucked up their purchase of vaccines, are jealous of the way the UK has tackled vaccination and they are short of supplies. They are looking for excuses to delay things until they receive enough stock to vaccinate their citizens at a closer rate to the UK.
They will be miles behind us by then, I agree about their failings in procuring the vaccine but not your other points.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Holders

The issue is to how to maintain public confidence in a brand that's received at least four waves of criticism/misperception: 1. "less effective" due to differing trial methodologies and limited testing in older age groups, 2. contract/supply issues, 3. it's UK research (our image is tarnished in the EU) and cheaper than the US alternatives so "can't be as good", 4.blood clots.

It could be argued "more for us, then" but that's extremely short-sighted as all populations need maximum rapid vaccination for a host or reasons.

Do countries press on regardless and perhaps increase jab-resistance (which is stronger on the continent anyway) or suspend use probably unnecessarily and then re-launch with the concern dispelled? On balance, I can understand the latter approach. The EMA and WHO have reviewed the data and are satisfied so it's just window- dressing.

Anyway, if anyone's worried about getting the AstraZeneca vaccine because 40 people out of 17m have reported a (most likely unrelated) clot do not read the leaflet in a box of Paracetamol!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: sarnian on March 15, 2021, 11:09:24 PM

On your last point, it's in the UK's strong interest that they do.

FulhamStu

This is typical politics. The EU and big EU countries within should be ashamed of themselves.  Get the bloody vaccine and be safe to yourself and others.  If you refuse, when restrictions are lifted, continue to stay at home.

Holders

Quote from: FulhamStu on March 16, 2021, 10:53:15 AM
This is typical politics. The EU and big EU countries within should be ashamed of themselves.  Get the bloody vaccine and be safe to yourself and others.  If you refuse, when restrictions are lifted, continue to stay at home.

It's not the EU: individual countries make their own decisions, in the same way as the UK did when it arranged its own separate procurement, approved AZ early and started jabbing in December - whilst we were still subject to EMA rules.

I agree that once the hoop has been jumped through* (see above) all countries need to get on with it as rapidly as possible.

*EMA press conference at 1.00pm GMT.

toshes mate

As I understand it the EU members agreed to Brussels undertaking the procurement of vaccines on behalf of all member states last year.  That is why we have seen what we have seen by way of the slanders directed at the UK by ... Brussels.  But I could be wrong since the main arms of our MSM are still smarting over Brexit.