watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could we still qualify for Europe?

Started by Blingo, February 17, 2011, 10:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blingo

We are not that far off of the pace are we?

Peabody

There may be a way in through The Fair Play League.

ImperialWhite

We're 6 points off 7th - possible? Stranger things have happened. If we can keep up our current form I think we could (a challenge, we've got a tough run in).

Matt

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 17, 2011, 11:23:50 AM
We're 6 points off 7th - possible? Stranger things have happened. If we can keep up our current form I think we could (a challenge, we've got a tough run in).

4 points above relegation as well. Would rather be totally safe before I start to look up.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Matt The Swede on February 17, 2011, 11:30:54 AM

4 points above relegation as well. Would rather be totally safe before I start to look up.

I know, I know... but look at the form table.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FormGuide

If we can maintain this, or something nearly as good as this, we'll be there - all our competitors  are at the wrong ends of the table. The relegation fodder are still stuck at the bottom, and the mid-tablers are lower mid table. We're 6th!

Matt

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 17, 2011, 11:38:04 AM

If we can maintain this, or something nearly as good as this, we'll be there - all our competitors  are at the wrong ends of the table. The relegation fodder are still stuck at the bottom, and the mid-tablers are lower mid table. We're 6th!

Still a quite tough run in as you mentioned. I think we'll finish just about were we are at the moment and top 10 at best. Hope you're right though!

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Matt The Swede on February 17, 2011, 11:43:43 AM

Still a quite tough run in as you mentioned. I think we'll finish just about were we are at the moment and top 10 at best. Hope you're right though!

I hope I'm right too, but I also suspect that your prediction is probably more likely. Fingers crossed and all that.

Still - next season, with Zamora and without that awful run without runs, I think Europe is a genuine possibilty. We feel like an improving team, to me.

Matt

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 17, 2011, 11:47:38 AM
Quote from: Matt The Swede on February 17, 2011, 11:43:43 AM

I hope I'm right too, but I also suspect that your prediction is probably more likely. Fingers crossed and all that.

Still - next season, with Zamora and without that awful run without runs, I think Europe is a genuine possibilty. We feel like an improving team, to me.

Add to that, that in the summer Hughes will have the chance to stamp his mark on the squad. The change from being a defensive team to become an attacking team will take place.

MJG

sorry but not by the league, run in is tough and the best chance of europe is the fair play back door or the cup final.

HatterDon

If we get to the cup final and we're drawn against a top 4 side, we're in win or lose.

The year we finished 7th may never happen again as more clubs become richer. If we're going to get into Europe again, it's going to be via the FA or League Cups.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TonyGilroy

I wouldn't expect us to finish as high as 7th but we are only 6 points behind Sunderland and have to play them so why not.

We're 6th in the 8 game form league. Continue that form and we probably would finish 7th.

AlFayedsChequebook

I highly doubt that we could, but if this current patch of form continues (a draw or win against Man City) then why not.

I also don't think our run in is a bad as people think.

MrFFC

no we have left it too late. but hughes is shapeing together a very good squad for us imo
Come on you Whites!! :)

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 17, 2011, 03:38:10 PM
I highly doubt that we could, but if this current patch of form continues (a draw or win against Man City) then why not.

I also don't think our run in is a bad as people think.

It certainly looks a helluva lot better now than it did in December.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Blingo

We can beat ANY team in the prem on our day, so why NOT? We are getting much stronger, BZ is coming back, I reckon we could do very well in what remains of the season and do not need to fear ANYONE.

This board needs a Blingo Hat along with the rest of the smileys etc on here.  :011:

COME ON YOU WHITES.

Burt

I think qualifying through position in the league is a bit of a stretch. Achievable, given how tight it all is, but perhaps either the Fair Play or getting to the FA Cup Final is the more likely route.

Would prefer the Wembley option myself... What a good day out that would be!

MJG

Quote from: Blingo on February 17, 2011, 04:51:51 PM
We can beat ANY team in the prem on our day, so why NOT? We are getting much stronger, BZ is coming back, I reckon we could do very well in what remains of the season and do not need to fear ANYONE.

This board needs a Blingo Hat along with the rest of the smileys etc on here.  :011:

COME ON YOU WHITES.
In the prem we can beat any team on our day that is correct, but so far this season while we have had good performances against so called big clubs(top 6)..we have no wins.
Man Utd-Draw-still to play away
Arsenal-Lost-Still to play at home
Man City-Lost-Still to play away
Spurs-Lost twice
Chelsea-Lost & draw
Liverpool-Lost-still to play at home.

So we have played 8 times against the top 6 and have 2 pts from those games.
4 games left against them, I would hope we win at least one of them, but its all well and good having great performances, but wins are needed.

I have not checked but i'm sure we have beaten at least one of the top 6 each season since we came into the prem, could this be the worst season we have against them?

MikeR

I think we have a 50-50 chance still. We still have several paths open, listed below in my guess at decreasing order of likelihood.

• UEFA fair play ranking. We need the Football League to maintain its 2nd place intermediate ranking (or fall no lower than 3rd), Chelsea to make Europe some other way, and Blackpool to not pip us in the league fair play ranking. This is definitely our best chance. Making it in this way would start us in an even earlier round than we began last year - probably mid-July against Central Siberia FC.
  • FA cup runner-up. We would need Arsenal to win the League cup, and a top 6 team to beat us in the FA cup final.
  • 7th place in the league. We would need Arsenal to win the League cup and top 6 teams to play in the FA cup final.
  • FA cup winner. No help needed for this path.
  • 6th place in the league. We would need Arsenal to win the League cup or a top 5 team to win the FA cup.
  • 5th place in the league or higher. Highly unlikely, but no help needed for this path.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken