more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 18/12/20...

Started by WhiteJC, December 17, 2020, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Newcastle United vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is our preview of the upcoming match for Fulham against Newcastle United, but we also had some more commentary on the Fulham 0-0 draw against Brighton & Hove Albion as well.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/12/17/22187656/cottage-talk-preview-newcastle-united-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v singer Becky Hill

Leeds make their first visit to Old Trafford for more than 10 years when they play old rivals Manchester United on Sunday - but who will come out on top?

"Of all the games where we say we'd love to have a crowd, this is a big one," said BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson.

"It's not a derby, but there has never been much love lost between the two sets of fans. That helps to create a really intense atmosphere, which normally adds an edge on the pitch too.

"This time? Well, Leeds will be dangerous going forward, of course, but I just feel their attacking mindset will play into Manchester United's hands."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 Premier League matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This weekend, he is up against singer and Walsall fan Becky Hill.

Hill's latest single 'Space' was released in October and her debut album comes out in March.

She is a prolific songwriter and has penned more than 600 tracks, but admits she is yet to write one about watching Walsall.

"My first solo single was called 'Losing' which might have worked, but I'd like to make it clear that was not about the Saddlers!" she told BBC Sport.

Saturday sees Walsall take on Port Vale, who count Robbie Williams as their most famous fan, in the big game in League Two.

"Right, we've got some pop star rivalry here haven't we?" Becky added. "I'll have to hit Robbie up and tell him that his boys are going to get beaten. "

There are other, bigger, Black Country clubs but Hill never considered supporting any of them.

"I have a very vague memory of being taken to a Wolves game when I was very young - but then we never went back," she explained. "It was always the Saddlers for me with my dad at the Bescot after that.

"There's nothing like being at game - not just for the football, but for the sights, the sounds and the smells.

"The food is part of the nostalgia as well - my dad would always have a Bovril, and buy me a Yorkie and a hot chocolate to keep me happy.

"As a kid the only thing that was missing was the singing - it seems weird to say now, but the one thing I always used to want was for the crowd to start chanting.

"My dad always used to sing 'walking down the Wednesbury Road, to see the Walsall aces' around the house but they never really burst into song when I went, for me to join in.

"It's not quite the same but he was at a Walsall game a few years ago and they ran out to one of my songs. I think that was probably his proudest moment."

Walsall's home, the Bescot [now known as Banks's Stadium] is situated right next to the M6 motorway so is easy to spot from afar.

"I get a buzz every time I go past," added Hill. "I went there a lot when I was a kid and it brings back so many fond memories whenever I see it. Every single time I take a picture and send it to my dad saying 'up the Saddlers'.

"He always messages me back saying 'The venue of dreams'."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Newcastle v Fulham (20:00 GMT)

Fulham have picked up a couple of decent draws in the past few days, against Liverpool then Brighton, but they were hanging on in both games.

Newcastle fell apart at the end against Leeds in midweek but they are at home this time and they will expect to win this game - their recent record at St James' Park against teams below them in the table is pretty good.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Becky's prediction: 1-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55307810

WhiteJC

We Need Three Points – Fulham Defender Stresses Newcastle United Must-Win Game

Fulham defender Joachim Andersen has termed the Cottagers' forthcoming Premier League game against Newcastle United a must-win match.

17th-placed Fulham will be looking to move further away from the relegation zone when they lock horns with Newcastle at St. James' Park on Saturday night.

The Magpies go into the game on the back of a 5-2 defeat to Leeds United and Cottagers star Andersen feels the trip to Tyneside is a good opportunity to add three points to their tally.

The Denmark international is of the view that the Newcastle trip is a must-win game for Fulham and has stressed the need for his side to be prepared.

Emphasising the need for the visitors to bag the three points, Andersen insisted that Fulham will put on a show at Newcastle on Saturday.

"Again, it's similar to Brighton in that it's a game we have to win, in my opinion", Andersen told Fulham's official site.

"It's a good opportunity to get three points and we must make sure that we're ready to go there and do that.

"Now we have tomorrow [Friday] to work on some things and then we'll see where we stand and I'm sure that we'll play a great match.

"We need the three points."

Fulham travel to St. James' Park on the back of consecutive draws at home against Liverpool and Brighton & Hove Albion.

https://insidefutbol.com/2020/12/17/we-need-three-points-fulham-defender-stresses-newcastle-united-must-win-game/486203/

WhiteJC

After 196 games, Fulham's glorious home run without a goalless draw is over

A question – if hardly anyone is there to see it, did Fulham really have a goalless draw at Craven Cottage? After 196 games, nine years, four months and three days, one of English football's most ridiculous statistics was consigned to the history books after neither Fulham or Brighton and Hove Albion could break the deadlock in a scrappy relegation six-pointer last night. You'd expect Richard Osman to weave this fantastic factoid into one of his gameshows before too long and, as long as the contestants weren't regulars at the Cottage, it would probably register as pointless too.

The streak started unremarkably enough, with Martin Jol's first game in charge against Aston Villa on a seriously hot afternoon by the banks of the Thames. The Dutchman, who came to have a rather reckless disregard for the finer arts of defending, began by separating the Thames Barrier to fit Philippe Senderos into the Fulham back four, shifting Aaron Hughes to right back. His teams were brimmed full of flair players and Fulham's fortunes see-sawed from the sublime, when Clint Dempsey scored 23 goals in 2011/2012 and Moussa Dembele was converted into a classy central midfielder, to the ridiculous, most famously when he insisted that his side had won the second half after a shambolic 2-0 defeat at Southampton.

The Cottage faithful were treated to some outrageously gifted forward players in those nine years. Both Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff's best days were behind them, but there was a period of purring at the laconic skills of Dimitar Berbatov and purring at Pavel Pogrebnyak's remarkable start to what was a brief Fulham career. We marvelled at the Mahamadou Diarra-Demble midfield axis, but an ageing squad was in serious need of an overhaul. Looking back the writing may have been on the wall with the departure of Danny Murphy, even if Giorgos Karagounis' herculean efforts in the twylight of his career were well appreciated.

The catastrophic 2013/2014 season with three managers ended with Dan Burn, now plying his trade as a flying full back at Brighton, hopelessly out of his depth as a right back as Felix Magath's side were mercilessly pulled apart at Stoke. Mad Magath's penchant for running above all else and bizarre belief in the magical healing qualities of cheddar cheese persuaded senior players to seek alternative employment as the Whites dropped through the Premier League trapdoor and a second successive relegation appeared likely as his quixotic team selections paid little respect to the Championship.

Despite dropping down a division, Fulham remained the great entertainers. Some of that was because Ross McCormack brought his goals and artistry from Leeds, forming a potent partnership with Mousa Dembele, but a great deal was down to an abject rearguard that featured a succession of shambolic defenders. Fernando Amorebieta seemed like a red card waiting to happen – saving his most iconic moment for a play-off semi final at Griffin Park when he broke Brentford hearts whilst on loan at Middlesbrough – Nikolay Bodurov was never in the right position and poor old Shaun Hutchinson, now a dependable defender with Millwall, seemed to have a different partner every week. Ragnar Sigurdsson has subsequently admitted that he didn't really take his Fulham career all that seriously, Richard Stearman never reprised his outstanding Wolves form in SW6 and even Tim Ream looked like a fish out of water in his early days. All this added up to goals galore.

Even as Slavisa Jokanovic gradually put his imprint on a side that flirted outrageously with the drop, Fulham were far from solid at the back. The Serbian's football was spellbinding to watch but had risk-taking at its heart, as was sadly shown when his stylish play-off winners couldn't cope with the step up. At times, it felt like Fulham's commitment to offering entertainment in both boxes should be guaranteed at the bottom of every match ticket.

The memories remain magical though. We had three years of savouring the emergence of Ryan Sessegnon from sixteen year-old schoolboy to the sensational talent who shushed the Gallowgate and the Cold Blow Lane in quick succession. The appreciation of Tom Cairney's left foot continues today and that late equaliser against Leeds, curling into the top corner, can never be recalled too often. Of course, Aleskandar Mitrovic, who did so much to make Fulham a Premier League side in two different promotion campaigns, played his own crucial role in keeping the record going: sweeping home from Sessegnon's pass in stoppage time against Huddersfield, after Aboubakar Kamara had inexplicably wrestled a spot kick off him ten minutes earlier, and providing redemption with a trademark header in injury time to beat Swansea last term after his own penalty failure.

Scott Parker, who was on the pitch for plenty of those games, now has the task of keeping Fulham above the drop zone in one of the most unpredictable campaigns the English game has ever seen. The early signs are that he will pivot to pragmatism in search of safety and the impregnability of Fulham's rearguard last night should be recognised as an encouraging sign. He won't countenance a capitulation to Claudio's catenaccio but Fulham's defending could become a little less frenetic, which we can all come to cherish.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/after-196-games-fulhams-glorious-home-run-without-a-goalless-draw-is-over/

WhiteJC

Steve Bruce asked if he will review his tactics before facing Fulham

Newcastle United take on the Cottagers on the back of a 5-2 mauling against newly promoted Leeds United

Steve Bruce has insisted he will not panic in terms of a radical change in tactics ahead of the clash with Fulham.

Despite his side capitulating defensively following what Bruce described as the Magpies "chasing the game" after going 3-2 behind at Leeds United, the Toon chief will not tear up his play book and start afresh this weekend.

Bruce has consistently stated that Newcastle are slowly developing towards a more offensive approach but after his side had just 31% possession against newly promoted Leeds, fans can't see any signs of United evolving.

The last time Newcastle conceded five goals in a game, Bruce scrapped plans to play with a back four following a 5-0 defeat against Leicester City.

When asked if the 5-2 defeat at Elland Road would spark a similar type of reaction, Bruce stayed calm and insisted that he could not judge the progress of his side on a chaotic final 15 minutes against Marcelo Bielsa's side.

Bruce said: "I think I have made my thoughts on this pretty obvious.

"I want to go and play in a certain way. And today that certain way was because of the way we finished the game.

"Up until then we could have defended better, don't get me wrong.

"However, we chased the game and got caught.

"You just can't do that at this level.

"The last 10 minutes masked what the game really was.

"Yes we were up against it at times but I always thought we carried a threat and that's what we will continue to work on."

Bruce did not shy away from the fact his players were particularly poor defensively though.

He reflected: "Simply we gave two or three poor goals away.

"That put a different reflection on the game.

"The last 10 minutes is hard to analyse it.

"I know Leeds caused us problems all evening but we'd shown a certain resilience against it.

"For me we always looked a threat the other way.

"Unfortunately, at the wrong time we've gave away poor goals.

"We didn't defended well enough and got punished."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-newcastle-tactics-fulham-19475691

WhiteJC

The 'screaming' Scott Parker team talk that inspired Newcastle and the forgotten European night

Scott Parker will return to St James' Park with Fulham on Saturday and ChronicleLive has taken a look back at the former England international's time on Tyneside

The buzzer is about to go in the away dressing room in the Arasen Stadium and Newcastle United's European ambitions hinge on what happens in the next 90 minutes.

It's July, 2006 and Lillestrom, the Magpies' Norwegian opponents, have an away goal advantage following a 1-1 draw in the first-leg of their Intertoto Cup tie at St James' Park a week previously.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has just given his team talk and it has fallen to Scott Parker, the newly-appointed skipper, to have the final word before the players make their way out onto the pitch.

"I've not come this far to not play in Europe," Parker roared. "I've not come here to get knocked out of the Intertoto Cup. This club belongs in Europe and I expect everyone to be with me. Losing isn't an option."

Matty Pattison, who was on the bench that night, told ChronicleLive that the 'hairs on the back' of his neck were standing up as Parker 'screamed at the top of his voice'.

It certainly did the trick: Newcastle beat Lillestrom 3-0 in their own back yard to advance into the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup.

Parker was a different type of captain to predecessor Alan Shearer, who was even more vocal, but, similarly, he led by example with his high standards.

Take the night Parker was eventually presented with the Intertoto Cup 'trophy' ahead of the Magpies' UEFA Cup last 16 tie against AZ Alkmaar eight months later.

There are no cursory smiles for the cameras; Parker looks like he wants the photograph over and done with as soon as possible so he can get back to the task in hand.

Lee Clark, who played alongside Parker under Graeme Souness and also coached the midfielder under Glenn Roeder, remembers how the England international 'gave absolutely everything every single day'.

"Scott was exceptional," Clark told ChronicleLive. "You couldn't question his professionalism and you couldn't question his attitude and his application.

"His preparation and everything was spot on. He was a consummate pro. He was a very impressive lad in terms of how he held himself and how he went about things so I'm not surprised at the success that he's since had as a manager."

Parker was Souness' first summer signing in the summer of 2005 and the Scot had spoken to Frank Lampard and John Terry about the Lambeth native beforehand. Shocked, the pair could not believe Chelsea were letting their compatriot go.

Parker was keen for a fresh start as he looked to put an injury-disrupted campaign behind him after the 24-year-old broke his foot twice and missed out on an official winner's medal following Chelsea's title win. Understandably, those setbacks scarred Parker mentally as well as physically.

While Spurs, his boyhood club, were also interested, Parker felt Newcastle was the best place to kickstart his career and play regularly.

Being a former midfielder himself, Souness used to take Parker aside and get him to visualise lini

When it came to those battles in the middle of the park, there were three distinct styles Souness wanted Parker to have in his locker depending on the opposition.

The first was, obviously, keeping hold of the ball in a possession game; the second was a box-to-box tussle where Parker needed to be fitter than his opponent to get up and down the pitch; and the third was a scrap where challenges and winning second balls were the order of the day..

Parker took that all on board and Dean Saunders, who served as Souness' assistant, believes if you 'filled the team out with Scott Parkers, you'd have a decent side because his mentality used to spread through the dressing room'.

"No players are perfect," Saunders told ChronicleLive. "We all have strengths and weaknesses - no matter what level you play.

"But I always thought it was impossible for Scott Parker to have a bad game because although he might misplace passes on a certain day or he might miss a chance, I knew every week he was giving you everything he had. That overrides all the weaknesses."

The best example of that commitment was, perhaps, Parker's performance in Newcastle's 1-0 win against Arsenal back in December, 2005.

Parker inspired his side to victory with a dominant display in the middle of the park and, after losing a tooth following a nasty collison with Jens Lehmann, the midfielder played on while biting on gauze before finally coming off late in the game.

Emre, who was also in the starting line-up that night, admits it was a 'big honour' to be Parker's midfield partner.

"Some professionals show their leadership by their acts instead of their words," Emre told ChronicleLive.

"Scott is a guy like this and all his team-mates respected him so much. He is such a gentleman."

When Shearer retired at the end of the season, it was not a huge surprise that Roeder, Souness' successor, named Parker as captain.

However, the England international was sold to West Ham a year later by Sam Allardyce, who was the Magpies' third manager in 18 months.

Given how inquisitive he was as a player, who was always asking questions, it has not shocked any of Parker's former team-mates that the 40-year-old has become a manager in his own right ahead of his return to St James' Park with Fulham on Saturday.

Parker will no doubt be wearing one of his designer suits on the touchline and he was similarly classy as a player as Matty Pattison recalls.

"He liked his fashion," Pattison told ChronicleLive. "He was very much old before his time with his clothes and that.

"He loved a brogue and tight clothes before they were actually out. He loved a little bit on the karaoke as well. He was a very good singer.

"You probably didn't expect him to be the way he is when you saw him on the football field but he was very cultured off the field."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-fulham-scott-parker-19475325

WhiteJC

Cairney could be in line for Fulham recall against Newcastle

Tom Cairney's hopes of a recall to the Fulham starting 11 against Newcastle appear to have been boosted.

Cairney hasn't started a game since the 3-2 home defeat by Everton on November 22.

In fact, the one-time captain has had to warm the bench as an unused substitute in the past two games.

However, boss Scott Parker admitted he will have to rotate the squad for the trip to St James Park on Saturday as tired players make way for fresh legs.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek got Parker's approval as attacking central midfielder, but missed a golden chance to secure the Whites a win against Brighton when he fired against the keeper's legs whilst clean through.

Parker is weighing up whether to recall Cairney and make other changes.

"Tom's a very technical player," Parker said.

"I think Ruben's attribute is running, and more breaking lines from deep.

"Tom can control a game for you; he can really dictate a game in his classy way that makes him a great footballer.

"Both have their differences, and both have niche skills that's different from each other.

"They're both going to be very important for us."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/cairney-could-be-in-line-for-fulham-recall-against-newcastle

WhiteJC

'Better than Joselu' - the 'controversial' former Newcastle cult hero set for St James' Park return

Aleksandar Mitrovic is set to make his second return to St James' Park as a Fulham player, and his time at Newcastle United continues to be the source of debate

An unreliable liability or a promising striker never truly given the opportunity he deserved?

There perhaps has not been a player to have divided Newcastle United's fanbase as much in recent seasons as Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The Serbian international was the fourth biggest transfer in the club's history when he arrived from Anderlecht in July 2015 in a reported £13m deal.

Mitrovic was a boyhood Magpies fan and spoke of his hopes of replicating his hero Alan Shearer's achievements in black-and-white following two prolific seasons in Belgium.

But just three years later, the United supporter agreed a permanent switch away to recently-promoted Fulham following a positive loan spell at Craven Cottage.

The deal - potentially rising to £27m with add-ons - represented a huge profit on a player who struggled to convince at St James' Park. Yet given the Magpies attacking woes in recent times, there are some who still question the wisdom of selling the young international striker.

Mitrovic is set to return to St James' Park for the second time as a Fulham player on Saturday, although the 26-year-old has struggled for starts in recent weeks.

With 17 goals in 72 appearances at United, how should Mitrovic be remembered for his time on Tyneside?

Chronicle columnist John Gibson said: "Mitrovic splits opinion right down the middle. He was a controversial player who came into a club where centre-forwards are judged by the highest of standards.

"If you look to the likes of Shearer, SuperMac, Wor Jackie, Ferdie, and Cole, he can never compare. Nor was he in my opinion as good as Ba, Rondon or Wilson which is fairer.

"But he was better than Joselu, Muto and, yes, Joelinton who is not a number nine nor a regular goalscorer."

Mitrovic was one of several high-profile signings ahead of the Magpies' doomed 2015/16 campaign, with the likes of Florian Thauvin and Gini Wijnaldum also joining Steve McClaren's side.

At the age of 20 following three successful seasons in Belgium and his native Serbia, Mitrovic was catapulted into the spotlight and tasked with spearheading United's frontline in the Premier League.

It was a responsibility that the young striker would later admit came too soon into his fledgling career.

Mitrovic told the Mail Online. earlier this year: "I was expected to play straight away and score goals, like Papiss Cisse did a few years before.

"It's a new experience for me. When I came to Newcastle I was very young. The period I needed to settle in... I didn't have one.

"I will always love Newcastle, but that was a big problem for me."

Norm Riley, a contributor to True Faith's fanzine and podcast, added: "I think he had too much asked of him initially.

"He came into a club that only stayed-up on the final day of the previous season, and was expected to lead the line from the off more or less.

"Cisse by this point was a shadow of the player he had been when he first arrived and I think Mitrovic was looked upon as being the main man.

"It was a lot of pressure and expectation on someone who was expensive, full of potential but obviously not as good as what people thought when signing him. Sounds familiar, right?"

It was a season which ended in disaster for United. McClaren's dismal tenure was terminated in March 2016 following a bleak home defeat to Bournemouth.

Rafa Benitez was parachuted in, but was unable to prevent the Magpies suffering their second relegation of the Mike Ashley era.

Mitrovic himself had made a steady start to life in English football. The young striker netted nine league goals in his debut campaign, including a brace against relegation rivals Norwich City, and the equaliser in the Tyne-Wear derby.

However, ugly disciplinary concerns were clear from the outset. Mitrovic was lucky to avoid an instant dismisal for a lunge just seconds after being substituted on for his debut against Southampton, and was dismissed just 20 days later in the home defeat to Arsenal.

There was also a red card in the final-day thrashing of Tottenham Hotspur, and the arrival of Benitez relegated the striker to a bit-part role in the following two seasons.

Gibbo said: "It can be argued that Mitro was a flat track bully and I felt he had rough edges and was a walking yellow or red card.

"He played to the crowd, no question, and therefore had his devoted fans but he is really a top Championship striker rather than a top Premier League one.

"Never rated by Benitez, his time was up."

Benitez turned to Dwight Gayle in the summer of 2016, and the new Newcastle number nine played a leading role in the Magpies' Championship-winning campaign.

In contrast to the pressure that seemingly greeted his arrival, Mitrovic was relegated to a cameo role and even fell behind veteran striker Daryl Murphy in the pecking order.

It was a source of contention in the stands that ran into the following campaign as Joselu became the latest man to keep Mitrovic out of the team - despite his own indifferent form in front of goal.

But with Benitez's side securing an instant top-flight return and successfully staving off the threat of relegation, Mitrovic found his star waning among the Toon Army.

Norm said: "The best of Mitrovic is playing for a team that is happy to have him work at a rate of his choosing and to play an individual role in a team game.

"He is a good Championship forward in the right team. I am yet to be convinced of him as a main man in a mid-table Premier League club."

Desperate for first-team football, Mitrovic joined Fulham on loan in January 2018 and made up for lost time by netting 12 times in just 17 appearances as the Cottagers earned promotion to the Premier League.

The Serbian striker also netted for his country in the World Cup in the summer, but by this point his future clearly lay away from St James' Park.

United potentially doubled their return on a player who had proven underwhelming in black-and-white. But frustratingly for fans, the sale was not reinvested immediately as Benitez had to acquiesce to the loan departure of Gayle to bring in Salomon Rondon.

For Norm though, there is no questioning it was a superb bit of business for United.

He added: "The club more than doubled its money on a player whose goal-scoring record at Newcastle was one in every four games, who was never going to fit into a Benitez side and who, it seems, would be unlikely to to be a Premier League regular for the rest of his career."

The lofty price tag clearly did not affected Mitrovic at Craven Cottage. Despite suffering his second Premier League relegation before his 25th birthday, the striker still netted 11 times in the top-flight and his 26 goals the following season helped fire Fulham to promotion via the play-offs.

Sammy James, the founder of fan blog Fulhamish, insists the club have no regrets over the £27m deal.

Sammy said: "He's been amazing. Simply put, one of my favourite ever players to pull on the Fulham shirt, and that's no exaggeration.

"He has twice fired Fulham to promotion, and in our last full season in the Premier League, was the only player who even looked like he had the ability to keep us in the division.

"Without his goals and contributions, there is no way Fulham would even have reached the play-offs. There were numerous games last year which he basically won by himself. That alone, is more than worth the transfer fee paid for him."

Mitrovic was expected to be the main man for Fulham once again this season, but has so far struggled to impress. An early brace at Elland Road are his only league goals of the campaign, and the 26-year-old has found recently himself on the periphery of Parker's plans.

Despite this recent form, United fans will still be fearful of their former striker returning to haunt them on Saturday.

Sammy added: "Parker has discovered that a pacy, counter-attacking style can work with this side, but with Mitro in the team he is not quick enough up top to adequately perform in that kind of team.

"However, there is still nobody in the team who can finish at the same level as Mitro, and therefore, there will still definitely be a big part for him to play if Fulham do stay up this season."

It was a black-and-white dream that did not work out for Mitrovic, but the Sebian international is adamant he bears no grudges against his former employers.

The Fulham number nine previously told Premier League World: "I didn't score as many goals as I wanted but, in the end, I made so many friends there.

"The supporters there in the stadium, everything, the city are so lovely. The people are always so kind.

"It's hard as well when it's not going well. It's a tough place to play with a lot of pressure but it's a really massive club."

In Callum Wilson, the Magpies have seemingly finally found the solution to their goalscoring worries since their return to the Premier League.

But with Andy Carroll and Gayle's ongoing injury frustrations, and Joelinton's struggles in front of goal, is there a sense Mitrovic would prove an asset to the current Magpies set-up?

Gibbo added: "Of course he would do a better job today than Carroll but he is nowhere near Wilson.

"It was better for him and for us that he went elsewhere. What we then did with Joselu and Yoshinori Muto is totally another matter of course."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-fulham-newcastle-united-19461210