watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our finishing wasn't great

Started by rebel, December 17, 2020, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

I though the keeper made a good save, going the wrong way, he  blocked it with his legs.

It wasn't  that bad a miss, he created the chance with his own strength and skill, and put the ball on target, keeping it low - and certainly not straight at the keeper.

For bad misses you should look at Villa last night - most of their shots were high or wide, even from Grealish.

filham

Quote from: Andyb on December 17, 2020, 09:22:23 PM
Crying out for a pacey striker who can finish....
As most teams are and the problem is a lot of other clubs can afford to pay more than us.

Twig

Quote from: General on December 17, 2020, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: FFC In Oz on December 17, 2020, 09:58:08 AM
RLC one was a gift.  That's the one that should not have been missed.

Tosin should definitely have hit the target with that header too

Again - RLC's wasn't a gift - I called someone else out on this earlier and they went and rewatched it on amazon and came to the conclusion that it wasn't actually the easiest opportunity as

a) the ball was passed to Ruben whilst he was at a standing position and not moving
b) there were a lot of onrushing defenders
c) not until late in the phase did he ever have control of the ball, he was chasing it.

And just because - whilst we're all enjoying our armchairs, I suppose you could've done better?

When it comes to our attacking it wasn't great, but i'm frustrated by those who want to constantly criticise, it's not the only way to get players to have an impact or improve, plus we've actually been ok at scoring or looking like scoring or creating goalscoring opportunities so far this season and as far as the league goes are near the top in terms of chances created.

Against liverpool there were a few very subtle reasons why we didn't win, Anguissa and Tosin were marginally offside when they were in one on one and then secondly Alisson was in genuinely inspired and one could argue lucky form.

Even yesterday, despite not having a huge amount of clear cut chances, the ones we did have had some brighton fans giving their goalkeeper Sanchez their MOTM vote.

It's not time to panic, we've got a long way till the end of the season and January is soon, it's time to start putting pressure on Tony Khan to get us in one or two key forward players (Babel would be ideal).. We'll just have to wait and see. But earlier transfer business could again be key.

In terms of our Defence, I'm feeling more and more confident. Anguissa is clearly doing well, so is Lookman and Decordova Reid. I personally think RLC is improving and showing his qualities enough to merit his place - Cavaleiro needs to be switched out for mitro that's all and I think both lookman and RLC need to dovetail off Mitro and his ability to win aerial balls, hold up play and play people in.

I would have had some sympathy for your arguments if you hadn't spoiled it with this "I suppose you could've done better?". I'm 68 yrs old and never progressed beyond GWR 3rd team. Of course I wouldn't have done better but then I'm not and never was, a top flight footballer.

Bassey the warrior

That's the difference, same thing against Liverpool. We're relying on our superb defence shutting out the opposition because we're not scoring enough. I'd like to see Lookman get in the box more and crack off more shots as he looks a good finisher. Cavaleiro keeps getting in great positions but his finishing is poor, hopefully he can improve that.

Kebano is a good finisher, I would bring him on earlier than Kamara who isn't really justifying his time on the field.

Twig

Quote from: alfie on December 18, 2020, 09:13:19 AM
Quote from: rebel on December 18, 2020, 09:01:17 AM
Quote from: bog on December 17, 2020, 02:59:44 PM
If RLC had pace he may have tucked it away as he had to shook early.

092.gif

All he had to do was angle his shot, power wasn't a necessity, he just blasted it at the keeper, hoping to beat the keeper.
Yep that's all he had to do, easy isn't it

Silly sarcasm. No it isn't easy but he's a top flight player who is there to do more than just the easy things. I'm not suggesting it was a sitter but it was undeniably our best chance and he did miss it.

ALG01

Again - RLC's wasn't a gift - I called someone else out on this earlier and they went and rewatched it on amazon and came to the conclusion that it wasn't actually the easiest opportunity as

a) the ball was passed to Ruben whilst he was at a standing position and not moving
c) not until late in the phase did he ever have control of the ball, he was chasing it.

And just because - whilst we're all enjoying our armchairs, I suppose you could've done better?

When it comes to our attacking it wasn't great, but i'm frustrated by those who want to constantly criticise, it's not the only way to get players to have an impact or improve, plus we've actually been ok at scoring or looking like scoring or creating goalscoring opportunities so far this season and as far as the league goes are near the top in terms of chances created.

Against liverpool there were a few very subtle reasons why we didn't win, Anguissa and Tosin were marginally offside when they were in one on one and then secondly Alisson was in genuinely inspired and one could argue lucky form.

Even yesterday, despite not having a huge amount of clear cut chances, the ones we did have had some brighton fans giving their goalkeeper Sanchez their MOTM vote.

It's not time to panic, we've got a long way till the end of the season and January is soon, it's time to start putting pressure on Tony Khan to get us in one or two key forward players (Babel would be ideal).. We'll just have to wait and see. But earlier transfer business could again be key.

In terms of our Defence, I'm feeling more and more confident. Anguissa is clearly doing well, so is Lookman and Decordova Reid. I personally think RLC is improving and showing his qualities enough to merit his place - Cavaleiro needs to be switched out for mitro that's all and I think both lookman and RLC need to dovetail off Mitro and his ability to win aerial balls, hold up play and play people in.

rubens was one on one with the keepr, had the ball under good control but the problem he faced was he was very straight onto the goal and the keeper did well to narrow all the angles. If rubens was the player now he used to be, i suspect he would have made a better attempt and possibly scored. As it was the effort was poor and that is all there is too it.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: ALG01 on December 18, 2020, 12:06:00 PM

rubens was one on one with the keepr, had the ball under good control but the problem he faced was he was very stright onto the goal and the keeper did well to narrow all the angles. If rubens was the player now he used to be, i suspect he would have made a better attempt and possibly scored. As it was the effort was poor and that is all there is too it.

I agree.

Yes, there were defenders sneaking up from behind, but those sort of chances have to be hit either side of the keeper, not straight at him.  Composure was lacking.

General asking if I could have done better is irrelevant as I'm not paid 150k a week to play football.

alfie

Quote from: Twig on December 18, 2020, 11:56:47 AM
Quote from: alfie on December 18, 2020, 09:13:19 AM
Quote from: rebel on December 18, 2020, 09:01:17 AM
Quote from: bog on December 17, 2020, 02:59:44 PM
If RLC had pace he may have tucked it away as he had to shook early.

092.gif

All he had to do was angle his shot, power wasn't a necessity, he just blasted it at the keeper, hoping to beat the keeper.
Yep that's all he had to do, easy isn't it

Silly sarcasm. No it isn't easy but he's a top flight player who is there to do more than just the easy things. I'm not suggesting it was a sitter but it was undeniably our best chance and he did miss it.
Yes you are correct it is silly sarcasm, but I get so fed up saying things like  "all he had to do"  we see the best players in the world miss what are so called easy chances. I was very professional in my job, but occasionally got things wrong, as I am sure you probably did as well.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't