Everton
2-1
Arsenal
Newcastle
1-1
Fulham

WhiteJC

Newcastle United 1-1 Fulham

Matt Ritchie unwittingly sent the ball into his goal after it bounced off his face

Callum Wilson scored his eighth goal of the season as a patched-up Newcastle earned a point against 10-man Fulham at St James' Park.

The Magpies, affected by coronavirus inside the camp during the past two weeks, were second best to the visitors, who came to St James' Park on the back of two credible draws.

Having taken a first-half lead, Scott Parker's men looked good for their first win since the 30 November. However, that all changed 62nd minute when they suffered the double blow of Joachim Andersen's sending-off followed by Wilson's equaliser.

The Danish centre-back clearly pulled back the striker as he raced into the area, but it was unclear whether the foul took place outside the box. Referee Graham Scott, after a lengthy check of the replays on the pitchside monitor, showed Andersen a straight red and pointed to the spot. Wilson emphatically fired home the equaliser.

It was tough on Fulham, who had looked the more composed with their methodical build-up play, while in spells the Magpies XI played like they met for the first time.

Fulham had been particularly effective with deliveries from the left, so it came as no surprise when Ademola Lookman's corner caused confusion in the home area in the lead-up to the opener. Young centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo sent his header back into the six-yard area where Bobby Decordova-Reid produced a flick which went in off the face of Matt Ritchie.

Lookman had also gone close with a downward header while Decordova-Reid should have done better with a side-foot effort.

Despite playing more than 28 minutes with a man advantage, Newcastle looked little more threatening.

The point lifts Steve Bruce's men up to 12th on 18 points, while Fulham are in 17th with 10 points.

Tough luck for valiant Fulham
Parker will surely have thought his side had done enough for victory.

After a start to the season which saw their relegation odds further shorten following five defeats in their first six Premier League matches, Fulham appear to be finally getting their just rewards for their methodical approach at this higher level.

On Saturday, they did not have to be at their best against a disjointed home side, although there were a handful of impressive performances.

Lookman, on loan from RB Leipzig, has perhaps found his home at Craven Cottage. He was brilliant on the left and almost as a second striker, creating three efforts on goal including two on target.

Gabonese midfielder Mario Lemina was back in the line-up and was diligent in both attack and defence. His ball into the area for Decordova-Reid, called up as a late replacement for Ivan Cavaleiro, should have been put away.

Fulham remained spirited even after going down to 10 men, and despite missing out on a possible three points, this performance will have again delighted their fans.

Wilson saves the day for Magpies again
Prior to the match, Bruce highlighted - as he has repeatedly recently - how much his side had been affected by the coronavirus, which initially resulted in the postponement of their match against Aston Villa at the start of December.

However, victory over West Brom and a competent 77-minute display against an effervescent Leeds suggested that his side could continue producing displays that have so far seen them keep clear of the relegation battle.

It was not a lack of fitness but a lack of cohesion that affected Newcastle in the first half on Saturday.

They marginally improved after the break, but with Miguel Almiron and £40m signing Joelinton once again misfiring it was left to Wilson to save the day.

The former Bournemouth striker has arguably been the Magpies' best signing in recent seasons. Whether he was fouled outside the area or not is debatable, but his pace and nous got him into the position that forced a mistake from Andersen before he coolly dispatched from the spot.

Bruce cannot afford to rest him over this festive period and will be praying he stays fit.

Fulham pay the penalty - stats

Newcastle are unbeaten in their last six Premier League home games against Fulham (W3 D3), last tasting defeat in May 2009.
    Newcastle have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 11 Premier League games at St James' Park, their longest run without a shutout in the competition since February 2005, when Graeme Souness was in charge (also 11 games).
    Fulham have picked up points when finishing a Premier League game with 10 men for the first time since April 2013 when beating QPR 3-2. They had lost the previous five instances.
    No side have conceded more penalties in the Premier League this season than Fulham (five), with the Cottagers doing so in three of their last four matches.
    Andersen is the third Danish player to see red for Fulham in the Premier League after Leon Andreasen in February 2008 v West Ham and Claus Jensen in April 2005 v Bolton.
    Newcastle have won a penalty in three of their past six Premier League home games, as many as their previous 58 in the top-flight at St James' Park.
    After missing two of his first four penalties in the top four tiers of English league football, Wilson has scored 10 of his following 11 from the spot.
    Wilson has scored eight goals in 12 Premier League appearances this season, as many as his he did in 35 games in the last campaign for Bournemouth.

What's next?
Newcastle are at Brentford in the EFL Cup on Tuesday (17:30 GMT) before they go to Manchester City next Saturday (20:00). Fulham are at home to Southampton next Saturday (15:00).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55268101

WhiteJC

Post-Newcastle Press Conference

Scott Parker was proud of his players on Saturday evening, when a combination of skill and grit saw them take a point from a controversial trip to Newcastle.

Fulham were in control on Tyneside and deservedly led through Matt Ritchie's own goal, but the hosts claimed a point when Callum Wilson netted from the spot after Joachim Andersen was sent off.

"I have nothing but admiration and good words to say about my team," Parker said. "I thought we were exceptional tonight, certainly first half I thought we showed a real quality about us.

"Probably a fair reflection would have been a couple of goals going in. We missed a couple of big, big chances in the first half.

"And then there's no denying that in the second half the penalty changes the game, and the sending off. Down to 10 men we had to show another side to us and really roll our sleeves up and show our resilience, which we did, so overall I thought we showed two sides to us tonight.

"One is our quality and how well we can play, and the flip side of that is the last 20 minutes, a real solidness to get out of here with a point, but overall I'm very, very pleased with the team.

"I'm disappointed with the penalty and how it came about, but overall I've got real praise for my team."

Replays showed that Andersen felled Wilson some distance outside of the penalty area. And when referee Graham Scott went to check the VAR monitor, one assumed it was to confirm a free-kick decision.

But apparently the penalty had already been locked in by that point, and the check was to ascertain whether or not to dismiss Andersen.

It's a decision which does not sit well with Parker.

"I think there'll definitely be an appeal," he said. "I've gone and looked over the penalty incident, and I'm not saying this with emotion or being biased, I just don't understand how he's given the penalty if I'm being brutally honest with you.

"The initial foul takes place outside the box. Callum Wilson then steps in the box and falls over. At real speed I understand why the ref may have given it. I get that, and two years ago, without VAR, it's one of those things you have to take on the chin that the referee has made a mistake.

"What's puzzling and concerning, is we have VAR now, he walks over to a screen, I don't know if he's seeing a different angle to what I've just seen in the changing room, but the initial contact takes place outside the box, he then falls over. That's what's concerning.

"The game has changed, I think we all recognise that, the game's become a bit of a shouting match in terms of any slight contact, any shot in the box that's hit someone's hand, everything's up for appeal in this day and age.

"What's concerning me is that we brought VAR in to make correct decisions, and yet again I sit here – like a manager or two every week – and am not quite sure how we've come to the decision, and that's what's puzzling.

"We've got every gimmick, we've got every slo-mo, we have all this five minutes wait, and yet we're still – for me - not coming up with the right decision.

"I don't know if there's a lack of communication from Stockley Park to the referee on the pitch, or whether there's an ego involved where he's thinking he's given the decision and doesn't want to really turn it around.

"The game's changing drastically, we're evolving things in football and I don't mind that, if we're getting to the right decisions. But sitting here, with everything in place and the way the game's going, and still not coming to the right decisions, it's criminal for me.

"And that's what's frustrating and that's what's disappointing."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Post-Newcastle-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker and Fulham dealt big setback over key man ahead of Southampton clash

Fulham will be without central defender Joachim Andersen for the Boxing Day clash with Southampton at Craven Cottage after he was sent off against Newcastle United

Fulham are set to be without a key figure for the Premier League clash with Southampton on Boxing Day.

Scott Parker's men welcome Southampton to Craven Cottage on Boxing Day, but Fulham will be without Danish defender Joachim Andersen.

That's because the defender will be serving a suspension after being sent off in Fulham's clash with Newcastle United at St James' Park this evening.

Andersen, who is on loan at Fulham from French side Lyon, was shown a red card by referee Graham Scott after a VAR review, having brought down Newcastle striker Callum Wilson, who then scored from the penalty spot.

Andersen conceded a penalty after making the challenge, but following a review by the video assistant referee, the decision was made to send him off.

As a result, Andersen is now set to miss the visit of Southampton on Boxing Day.

That is a significant blow for Parker and Fulham, with Andersen being a key man for Fulham in recent weeks as Parker's side have shown signs of improvement following their promotion from the Championship.

This was Andersen's eighth appearance for Fulham since joining on loan from Lyon, with the 24-year-old establishing himself as a regular in the side.

Andersen is not the only player who will miss the game at Craven Cottage through suspension though, with Southampton set to be without midfielder Oriol Romeu after he picked up his fifth booking of the season in the 1-0 defeat against Manchester City today.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/scott-parker-fulham-setback-southampton-4816205

WhiteJC

Southampton dealt huge double blow ahead of Fulham clash amid anxious wait over Danny Ings

Oriol Romeu picked up his fifth yellow card of the season as Southampton faced Manchester City, while Danny Ings went off injured before half time at St Mary's

Southampton have been dealt a massive double blow in their Premier League clash with Manchester City this afternoon.

Already trailing to Raheem Sterling's opener for the visitors, Saints then suffered further setbacks in the first half of the contest at St Mary's.

First, midfielder Oriol Romeu was shown his fifth yellow card of the season in the Premier League, which will mean an automatic one-match ban for the Spaniard, who will now miss the Boxing Day clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Saints were then dealt another big blow moments later as top goalscorer Danny Ings went off injured, with the striker replaced by Nathan Tella after going down unchallenged.

It looked to be a knee problem for the former Liverpool man, who has only recently returned from a spell on the sidelines, having had knee surgery in November.

Ings was out for just over a month with that knee injury, but returned for the 2-1 win against Brighton earlier this month as he came off the bench to score the winner for Ralph Hasenhuttl's side at the Amex Stadium.

But Ings, who has previously had two serious knee injuries while at Liverpool, went down the tunnel and looked to be in some discomfort as he did so.

Tella replaced him just before the break at St Mary's, and Hasenhuttl may have to face another spell without Ings, depending on the extent of the injury.

As for Romeu's suspension, it is likely to mean an opportunity for summer signing Ibrahima Diallo, who is yet to start a game for Southampton since his switch from Stade Brest.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-blow-danny-ings-fulham-4815606

WhiteJC

'Shocking,' 'Terrible' – Many Nottingham Forest fans fume over performance of 28-y/o

A number of Nottingham Forest fans have been berating the performance of Cyrus Christie following the Reds' 1-1 draw at Millwall on Saturday.

Forest headed into the game looking to build on the vital 2-0 win they secured at home to fellow strugglers Sheffield Wednesday in midweek. However, Chris Hughton's side were unable to make it back-to-back wins at Millwall, but they were at least able to pick up a decent point which does edge them ever slightly more away from the relegation places.

One player, though, that struggled during their trip to Millwall was Christie, with the 28-year-old having been at fault for the Lions' opening goal of the game after being caught out of position down the right-hand side which allowed a dangerous ball to be played into the penalty area that was eventually converted by Tom Bradshaw.

The defender has been struggling at times this campaign since his summer move to the City Ground from Fulham, and he has been guilty of making some poor individual mistakes like the one made for Millwall's opener on Saturday. That could leave Hughton with a decision to make over whether he should maintain his faith in the right-back.

Many Nottingham Forest fans were suggesting that Christie could need to be dropped from the starting line-up following the game against Millwall. While others were bemoaning the latest mistake he has made in the defensive third so far this campaign.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/shocking-terrible-many-nottingham-forest-fans-fume-over-performance-of-28-y-o/

WhiteJC

Callum Wilson grabs Newcastle point from penalty spot against ten-man Fulham

Callum Wilson converted a second half penalty as Newcastle United claimed a 1-1 point against Fulham who had to play the final 26 minutes with 10 men.

A Matt Ritchie own goal, forced by a Tosin Adarabioyo header from a corner kick, gave the Cottagers the lead not long before half time, rewarding Scott Parker and his players for a positive first half performance.

Steve Bruce introduced Isaac Hayden for the start of the second half and the change provided the catalyst for a comeback, with Newcastle United awarded a penalty for a foul by Joachim Andersen. The Dane was shown a straight red after a VAR review and Wilson scored from 12 yards.

Newcastle United couldn't make the most of their man advantage as Fulham held on for a share of the spoils. The result lifted the Magpies up to 12th in the Premier League table while Fulham have lifted themselves out of the bottom three.

TALKING POINT - More questions will be asked of Steve Bruce after this

On the face of things, Newcastle United are doing enough this season, with the St James' Park side comfortably away from the bottom three as things stand. But fans are tired of their team struggling to create opportunities when they have the players to be much more effective in the final third. This match will see more questions asked of Bruce. Newcastle struggled throughout to break down Fulham, even after the away side was reduced to 10 men. Supporters want more from their team.

MAN OF THE MATCH - Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa (Fulham)

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa was everything Newcastle United were lacking in their performance. The 25-year-old was Fulham's driving force, picking up the ball from deep and forcing the opposition defenders into tough decisions. Anguissa is exceptional on the ball and has no hesitancy to run at goal. On another night, he could have finished the match on the score sheet and with a couple of assists in hand, but his display still warrants recognition. He is so important to the Cottagers' hopes of avoiding relegation.

PLAYER RATINGS

Newcastle United - Darlow 7, Yedlin 7, Fernandez 6, Clark 5, Dummett 5, S. Longstaff 5, Shelvey 6, Ritchie 4, Almiron 5, Joelinton 6, Wilson 6. Subs - Fraser 4, Gayle 4, Hayden 5.

Fulham - Areola 7, Aina 6, Andersen 5, Adarabioyo 7, Robinson 6, Cairney 6, Lemina 6, Anguissa 8, Decordova-Reid 6, Lookman 7, Mitrovic 5. Subs - Hector 4, Bryan 3, Loftus-Cheek 5.

KEY MOMENTS

43' GOAL! Newcastle United 0-1 Fulham: That goal had been coming! Adarabioyo got up to keep a corner kick delivery into the box alive and the ball ends up bouncing into the back of the Newcastle United net off Ritchie! He knew nothing about that and Fulham have the lead!

61' PENALTY KICK TO NEWCASTLE UNITED! Wilson goes down inside the area and the referee points to the spot!

62' SENT OFF! The award of the penalty kick stands and Andersen has now been shown a straight red card! The referee has decided the Fulham defender made no attempt to play the ball.

63' GOAL! Newcastle United 1-1 Fulham: The Magpies are back on level terms! Wilson steps up and sends his penalty kick straight down the middle, with Areola diving to one side. Fulham are down to 10 men and now Newcastle have wind in their sails for the final 25 minutes.

KEY STATS

Callum WIlson has scored eight goals in 12 Premier League appearances this season, as many as he did in 35 games for Bournemouth last season.

Fulham have now drawn each of their last three matches in the Premier League (Liverpool, Brighton and Newcastle United).

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2020-2021/_sto8037495/story.shtml

WhiteJC

Fortunate Newcastle Salvage Point In 1-1 Draw Against Fulham

Newcastle didn't deserve anything against Fulham at St. James' Park this evening. Despite Fulham going down to ten men, the visitors were the better team in a 1-1 draw.

After a dreadful first half, Steve Bruce brought Isaac Hayden on for Federico Fernandez to start the second. The Magpies immediately won a free-kick just outside the area when Miguel Almiron was fouled. However, Shelvey's free-kick was wasted as it sailed over the crossbar.

Newcastle saw more of the ball in the second half but failed to create much with it. However, our fortunes changed in the 60th minute when Joachim Andersen took Callum Wilson down in the box. After a VAR check, Andersen was handed a straight red for denying of a goal-scoring opportunity. Wilson coolly slotted the penalty down the middle to level the match.

Fulham almost took the lead once again when Lookman cleared space in the box before whipping in a shot. Karl Darlow was there to parry it away and Newcastle cleared the danger.

A few minutes later Joelinton was freed by a terrific ball from Jonjo Shelvey. The Brazilian went around a Fulham defender but Areola came out to make the block on the ball. That was Joelinton's last contribution as he was brought off for Dwight Gayle.

Bruce made his final substitution soon after Gayle came on bringing Ryan Fraser on for Paul Dummett. Matt Ritchie moved to left-back as Fraser went on the left and Almiron jumped to the right.

Newcastle didn't take advantage of the extra man as Fulham were still seeing much of the ball late into the second half. This was the second dreadful performance against a newly-promoted side and a draw is more than Newcastle deserve.

https://www.nufcblog.com/2020/12/19/375419/

WhiteJC

Ten-man Fulham earn point at Newcastle

Fulham continued their encouraging recent performances by picking up a point despite Joachim Andersen being sent off.

They took a deserved lead at St James' Park courtesy of Matt Ritchie's own goal three minutes before half-time.

That lead was wiped out by Callum Wilson's penalty shortly after the hour mark.

Wilson netted from the spot after being fouled by Andersen, who was shown the red card.

Fulham withstood Newcastle's pressure after the equaliser and can take plenty of heart from their display.

Their opener came when Bobby Decordova-Reid diverted Tosin Adarabioyo's header towards goal and the ball ended up in the net after deflecting off Ritchie.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/ten-man-fulham-earn-point-at-newcastle

WhiteJC

Newcastle held to 1-1 draw by 10-man Fulham

NEWCASTLE, England (Reuters) - Newcastle United had to settle for a 1-1 home draw with 10-man Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday after a Callum Wilson penalty cancelled out Matt Ritchie's own goal which fired the visitors ahead in a scrappy encounter.

The result provisionally lifted Fulham out of the relegation zone as they moved one place up to 17th on 10 points from 14 games with a superior goal difference to 18th-placed Burnley who have two games in hand.

Newcastle moved two places up to 12th on 18 points from 13 games but they will take few positives from a turgid performance as the Magpies were fortunate to scrape a share of the spoils.

Fulham manager Scott Parker complained about the penalty decision arguing that Wilson was fouled outside the area and praised his team for a valiant effort.

"In the second half it's the penalty decision which has decided the game in that sense," he told Sky Sports.

"I would rather stand here saying the referee has made a mistake but we have all this technology and we are still making the same mistakes. That's criminal.

"For what I have just seen - and I'm not standing here trying to defend it - the contact was made outside of the box and (Wilson)then goes into the box and dives.

"I have nothing but praise for my team. It's a difficult place to come to and for 45 minutes we dominated the game. Then we get a man sent off and it's roll your sleeves up."

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce had a different view of the incident and was unhappy with his team's display.

"We got the penalty and when you look at it and analyse it I think the referee has made the right call," he said.

"We can perform better than we saw tonight and that is always a concern. We didn't see enough and that is disappointing."

Fulham's Ademola Lookman was a constant threat all evening and his inviting corner led to the opening goal as defender Tosin Adarabioyo headed it towards the far post and the ball ricocheted off Ritchie's face into the net.

Newcastle were awarded the penalty in the 64th minute after Wilson was fouled by Joachim Andersen, who was shown a second yellow card for the challenge, and the home side's forward sent goalkeeper Alphonse Areola the wrong way with his spot-kick.

The lively Lookman had home keeper Karl Darlow at full stretch with a stinging drive four minutes later before Areola denied Joelinton at the other end.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-new-ful-report/newcastle-held-to-1-1-draw-by-10-man-fulham-idUKKBN28T0YQ

WhiteJC

Fulham fight for a point after more VAR controversy

Fulham showed commendable character to pick up a point at St. James' Park after being reduced to ten men and conceding a contentious penalty, but Scott Parker will feel they deserved more. Joachim Andersen's dismissal for hauling down Callum Wilson, who converted the spot kick, may rob the Cottagers of their most commanding defender and the visitors will aggrieved about the award of a penalty, when the initial contact that sent Wilson tumbling theatrically was well outside the box.

That decision, which went to the video assistant referee and was upheld, completed changed the complexion of a contest that Fulham had comfortably controlled. The visitors made the more assured start, dominating possession, but couldn't find a telling finish in the final third until Matt Ritchie turned Toisin Adarabioyo's header into his own net from a corner just before half-time. The returning Tom Cairney squandered a couple of good shooting opportunities from the edge of the box and Ademola Lookman might feel he could have done better than head a floated cross from the excellent Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa straight at Karl Darlow.

Fulham's top scorer Bobby Decordova-Reid couldn't continue his fine form in front of goal when he screwed a shot wide on the stretch having been released by a floated through ball from Mario Lemina. But the Cottagers ensured they didn't head in at half-time empty handed when Lookman's deep corner was headed back across goal by Adarabioyo. Decordova-Reid's dummy befuddled Ritchie on the goal-line and the ball went into the net off his face.

Newcastle had much more of the ball after the break, but Parker's back five nullified their threat effectively. Steve Bruce has been robbed of a number of key players through an outbreak of coronavirus and wanted a reaction after they were blown away by Leeds in midweek. Darlow denied Cairney a second from a Fulham long throw, but Newcastle's lifeline came when Ola Aina surrendered the ball far too cheaply high up the pitch and Almiron played in Wilson for the game's decisive moment.

Bruce was critical of his side's failure to carve out clear openings once Fulham went down to ten men. Parker sent on Michael Hector to try and weather the coming onslaught, but his side actually carried the more potent threat. Lookman and left back Antonee Robinson linked effectively to create space in the box with Darlow beating away the winger's drive. At the other end, Areola bravely dashed off his line to thwart Joelinton as the Brazilian burst through on goal and Adarabioyo stood firm to win several crucial headers in the closing stages. Fulham might have had a penalty at the death, when Ciaran Clark handled as Anguissa surged into the area but referee Graham Scott waved the appeals away.

The point elevates Fulham above the relegation zone again, albeit possibly only for a few hours before Burnley are in action on Monday, but three consecutive draws have all showed how successfully Parker has made his team much tougher to play through. The Whites will face a serious test against swashbuckling Southampton at Craven Cottage on Boxing Day, but they should at least approach the festive period with plenty of confidence that they belong at the highest level.

NEWCASTLE UNITED (4-4-1-1): Darlow; Yedlin, Dummett (Fraser 79), Fernandez (Hayden 45), Clark; S. Longstaff, Shelvey, Ritchie, Almiron; Joelinton (Gayle 75), Wilson. Subs (not used): Gillespie, Krafth, Lewis, Hendrick, J. Murphy, Carroll.

BOOKED: Clark.

GOAL: Wilson (pen 64)

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Areola; Aina, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson; Lemina, Anguissa; Decordova-Reid, Lookman (Bryan 90+4), Cairney (Hector 65); Mitrovic (Loftus-Cheek 77). Subs (not used): Rodak, Odoi, Ream, Reed, Cavaleiro, Kamara.

BOOKED: Cairney, Robinson.

SENT OFF: Andersen (62).

GOAL: Ritchie (o.g. 42)

REFEREE: Graham Scott (Oxfordshire).

VIDEO ASSISTANT REFEREE: Andy Madley (West Yorkshire).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/fulham-fight-for-a-point-after-more-var-controversy/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker fumes with VAR after 'criminal' decision in Fulham-Newcastle

Fulham manager Scott Parker is furious with Video Assistant Referee and head referee Graham Scott after the 10-man Cottagers drew 1-1 at Newcastle on Saturday.

The Londoners led 1-0 and had control of the match at St. James' Park when Jonjo Shelvey and Miguel Almiron combined to play Callum Wilson through on goal.

Wilson was tugged outside the box by Joachim Andersen and then hit the deck inside it. Scott signaled penalty, then reviewed it on the pitchside monitor twice before sending off Andersen.

Parker believes that Andersen made contact with Wilson outside the box and that the Newcastle forward proceeded into the box and dove to win the penalty.

From the BBC:

"I don't know whether the angles are being shown," Parker said. "You slow it down. I just don't understand. Referees make mistakes, I totally get that. But we have this VAR and everything there and we are still making incorrect decisions and that's puzzling. ... Brendan Rodgers was standing here last week saying the same. That's what's wrong. I would rather stand here saying the referee has made a mistake but we have all this technology and we are still making the same mistakes. That's criminal."

The VAR debate is going to continue forever and perhaps there's reason to accept that humans are still making the decisions so controversy will always be a part of the game.

That said the idea to go with the initial call seems the right one. It's impossible to tell whether Andersen clipped Wilson's boot inside the box, at least from the angles we've seen, though there's no doubt the Newcastle man made a meal out of an hors d'oeuvre. It's terribly frustrating for Fulham, as a penalty almost certainly would not have been awarded had it not been called on the field.

Should it have been a penalty, a sending off, both, or none?

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/12/19/scott-parker-fumes-with-var-after-criminal-decision-in-fulham-newcastle/

WhiteJC

Parker: 'The game's changing drastically and not for the better'

Scott Parker was furious by the award of a contentious penalty and a red card for Joachim Andersen that arguably cost Fulham a win at Newcastle this evening.

The Fulham head coach disagreed with the decision of referee Graham Scott and the video assistant referee Andy Madley and fears for the future of the sport given the way that the technology is now being used. Speaking to Sky Sports after the final whistle, Parker said:

I've had a look at it. This isn't me trying to defend it, but the contact is initially outside the box, he then goes into the box and dives. The game is changing drastically and it isn't changing for the better. Two years ago, I get it at real speed. What's puzzling is that we have VAR, I'm not sure if he's seen a different angle to me.

I'm disappointed we didn't take three points. I thought the team was fantastic though. Second half, the penalty decision has decided the game.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/parker-the-games-changing-drastically-and-not-for-the-better/

WhiteJC

'It's a bit of mess to be honest': Scott Parker left FUMING at VAR and says football is being ruined by the technology after conceding penalty away at Newcastle as Fulham boss calls out Callum Wilson for DIVING in Joachim Andersen's sending off

Scott Parker was livid with VAR following Fulham's draw against Newcastle
    Fulham's Joachim Andersen was sent off for bringing down Callum Wilson
    Parker accused Wilson of diving and says the initial contact was outside the box

Fulham manager Scott Parker has hit out at VAR after his side drew 1-1 against Newcastle and also accused striker Callum Wilson of diving.

Parker was livid as, with Fulham leading 1-0, defender Joachim Andersen was sent off after an incident involving Newcastle striker Wilson.

After consulting VAR via the pitchside monitor, referee Graham Scott dismissed Andersen and awarded Newcastle a penalty.

Fulham manager Scott Parker was critical of VAR after his side's 1-1 draw with Newcastle

Parker was livid after Fulham  defender Joachim Andersen was sent off in the 62nd minute

Wilson stepped up to score from the spot as Newcastle equalised, with Steve Bruce's side going on to take a point from proceedings.

After watching a replay of  the incident after the game, Parker was adamant that the initial contact from Andersen occurred outside the penalty area, and claimed that Wilson subsequently went into the box and dived.

Parker, whose side are in 17th place and are only above the relegation zone on goal difference, claimed that football is being ruined by VAR, with the technology not fulfilling its purpose of making the correct decisions.

The Fulham boss was adamant that his side should have won the game. They had taken the lead courtesy of a Matt Ritchie own goal before Wilson equalised for Newcastle.

Parker told Sky Sports: 'I'm disappointed the team didn't take three points. The penalty decision decided the game. I've had a look at it now in the changing rooms. The game's changed drastically and I think we can see that.

'VAR was brought in to make the correct decisions and I understand at real speed maybe he gives a penalty. This is not me standing here trying to defend it because I want the opportunity for my team to not have the penalty [given against us], but the contact is initially made outside the box.

'He [Callum Wilson] then goes into the box and dives. So again, the ref decides to give the penalty. We have VAR, which is obviously then calling him to say 'can you go and check because I'm not sure it is?'

'He then goes over to the screen. Unless he's seen something totally different to me... I've slowed it down numerous times. I don't know whether he's looking at the same angles I'm looking at... I just don't understand.

'Like I said, the game's changing drastically and it hasn't changed for the better in my opinion. The game's going one way now. On the sideline, it's just a shouting match in terms of 'this decision, that decision'. It's a bit of a mess to be honest.'

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce insisted the referee made the right call on awarding his side the penalty.

'When you look at it and you analyse it, I think the referee's made the right call. He's denied a goalscoring opportunity. Has he gone for the ball? Not really.

'He's had a pull of his shirt to start with and then it looks, when I've seen the video back, that he's clipped his heel. In that respect, I think that decision was right.

'But we have to look at our performance and say we haven't done enough.

'We've had a difficult week but we've still got to be better than we were, in the first-half in particular.

'A difficult week, we'll take a point and move on.'

Newcastle are in 12th place having taken 18 points from their first 13 league games.

Sky Sports pundit Graeme Souness believes it was the correct decision to send Andersen off.

He said: 'He's fouled him. He's off balance. It's not cynical and Callum's made the most of it. Wilson stretches the back four. He's saying to Andersen, "let me go or you're going to give away a penalty" and that's what happened.'

Jamie Redknapp agreed with Parker that VAR is 'killing' the game.

He said: 'At half-time, they [Fulham] were in complete control. When you go down to 10 men, you're hanging on a bit. Andersen kicks the bottom of his heel and he goes over.

'I don't like the law, because you can see that Tosin Adarabioyo is getting across. This is why it's harsh because he's falling, but it's a red card.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9071521/Scott-Parker-left-FUMING-VAR-says-football-ruined-technology.html

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham's 1-1 Draw Against Newcastle United

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode Emilio Di Nello and Russ Goldman shared their initial reactions to this draw. They went through the controversial moments, and also gave their thoughts on Fulham's performance.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/12/19/22190968/cottage-talk-full-time-fulhams-1-1-draw-against-newcastle-united

filham

Good to hear that Southampton will have players missing on Boxing day, We could be without Kongolo, Tete, Cav, Lemina and Anderson.
What on earth is the situation with Kongolo he has been with us for most of 2020 but has hardly played. With Anderson unavailable we could do with a good replacement.