watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Incredible VAR

Started by Whitesideup, December 20, 2020, 01:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

Just slightly different to other posts but highlighting the point made on MotD.

Penalty given - referred to VAR. As is stands no card given.

1) Validity of penalty or possible red card?
2) Red card offence - stopping a goal scoring opportunity -  clearly outside of box, ie the tug. Incidentally, as Tosin was coming across it should have been a second yellow, not a red, but hey ho, down to 10 men. So option is red card, free kick outside the box.
3) Trip in the box - clearly an accident, and a dive as MotD commented; not enough to bring him down, but let's say still a foul. Penalty, double jeopardy rule applies, no red, or indeed yellow, card for what was accidental.

How come we get the worst of both worlds?

jarv

Well stated. I was thinking about that earlier and seemed to recall that both penalty and red card could not be awarded.

I hope clubs in danger of relegation are collecting all the video data so there might just be law suits at the end of the season. It is what I think the powers that be need, a kick up the rear end.

FFC In Oz

I couldn't believe that the commentators didn't mention that the offence actually happened outside the box.

I think the card was there, but the tug of Wilson's shirt was clearly outside the box

toshes mate

As accurate a description as I have seen, Whitesideup, and I cannot undesrtand how it could be both a penalty and a red card.  But Bruce has form for getting the fourth official to niggle referees into giving red cards and not yellows.  Add VAR to that mix and you have the nightmare that played out for us.

F(f)CUK

Did anybody see Sky's review of the penalty after the game? They have decided that Anderson tapped the guys foot, which tripped him. They decided that the decision was correct. I think the guy felt a nudge and threw himself to the floor theatrically.

ALG01

who knows what the rules ans interpretations are supposed to be. when I were boy..... we all knew the rules and how they were to be applied, now that is not true. i also wondered about double jepordy... who knows what is right any more.

what i do know is that should not have been given and wilson booked for the dive and sterling should not have got a penalty...and lookman and lemina were both taken out but nothing given yesterday.. i am not saying the ref yesterday had no integrity, sorry, yes I am, would love to speak to him face to face with a monitor in place.