watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Southampton

Started by SP, December 20, 2020, 08:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Tough match but a good opportunity to keep our unbeaten run going.  Danny Ings limping off yesterday may help.

Whitestone

It'll be tough, especially without Andersen and Lemina but this team has belief and is resolute in defence so we're definitely in with a chance and we must start getting some wins.

Beamer

Romelu being suspended probably a bigger bonus.

FFC1987

Bonus but i'm not expecting anything from this fixture.

Beamer

Really? Southampton seem to be playing above themselves at present but if Ings is not fit (and he must be very doubtful given it looked like a knee and he has had lots of problems there in the past) and with no  Romelu who is their midfield enforcer I have a fancy our lack of rub of the green might just turn around and we could well get a win out of it.
We will see I guess but I understand the view that despite our marked improvement of late things just don't seem to be running for us. Back to fingers crossed then.

Moltobueno

Biggest worry is Andersen missing, Hector seems to be totally lost. Hopefully won't damage the future dynamics between Tosin and Andersen.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Moltobueno on December 20, 2020, 09:49:15 AM
Biggest worry is Andersen missing, Hector seems to be totally lost. Hopefully won't damage the future dynamics between Tosin and Andersen.

I'd put Ream in, not Hector

Regarding Southampton , they are top of the league in pressing. Not sure how they measure that, but that's their tactics and well have to counter that. We did ok against Brighton who pressed us throughout the 90 mins.

Jules

Quote from: Moltobueno on December 20, 2020, 09:49:15 AM

Agree totally. Andersen missing is going to be a huge loss. Hector looks very shaky indeed

Jims Dentist

The trouble is Tosin. Ream and Kongolo are all really left sided players.

Jims Dentist

We need to be mindful of Saints two big,   good in the air central defenders at set pieces.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on December 20, 2020, 10:28:14 PM
We need to be mindful of Saints two big,   good in the air central defenders at set pieces.

Yes I agree with your observations which is why I would stick with Hector alongside Tosin in the circumstances.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

karldutton

We have seen this team performance getting better. And against the likes of Liverpool and Leicester they put in a well good performance, unexpected results. Yet again, the team must stick together and create most of the chances and look for spaces on their end.

copthornemike

Southampton arguably operate the most effective press in the opposition half at the moment - but zings injured in last match which would be a big miss from him. If we go behind will be a long afternoon- but if we can consistently beat their press their defence can be got at - Lookman could be critical.
Shame we cannot play Lemina being a loan - excellent vs Newcastle!
Would be happy with a point

Somerset Fulham

I said at the weekend that I counted the number of headers that Hector went for, and out of seven I think he actually totall missed five of them. I would be going with Ream, who seems to perform better when there are better players around him.

That said, I think this will be a tough game for us and don't see us getting much. Southampton are a good side.

rebel

Southampton works because they play as a team, do all the basics well, they really haven't got any stand out players. Walcott when he's on his game. The only thing that will beat us against them is us. If we can match them for team work, all the pressing, defending from the front etc. Then I think we can beat them, I think we have more quality then them.

The Rock

What about 3-4-3? We've already played that formation at some point I think. I'd rather have both Reed and Anguissa as to DM's on the pitch than Hector.

I thought Hector looked SO out of sorts when he came on, that it was so disruptive to the entire flow of the game that neither team knew how to deal with it.

BestOfBrede

Maybe Kongolo will be ready?

perry geyton

Southampton are overrated we can totally take em at home

Hector worries me too though,  he looked super sketchy when he came on...
Could be a good motivator though for him to find his old form

Twig

Odoi for Andersen anyone? Just thinking that despite not being as tall as Hector Odoi has a much better jump to win his headers.  Whoever we pick it will be properly tough.

perry geyton

Yes was just thinking the same maybe Dennis, he must be chomping to get a game