watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

We are in real need of a striker with only ten days of the window remaining and no sight of a decent rumour.
Time to have a good look at Merthyr Tydfil just in case Son of Ivor is waiting there ready to be snapped up. Of course we would need to be careful as TK would be looking to wait for a last day bargain not wanting to pay the full £4,000 we paid for Ivor.

fulhamben

Quote from: jayffc on January 20, 2021, 10:19:35 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2021, 09:49:19 AM
Quote from: jayffc on January 20, 2021, 09:40:45 AM
Quote from: Friendsoffulham on January 20, 2021, 09:31:38 AM
Quote from: The Cravenette on January 20, 2021, 09:24:40 AM
Is there any chance this thread could just stick to the title- transfer rumours? Other discussions, slagging/supporting TK, slagging/supporting Parker etc can have their own threads surely.

We locked this thread last time, purely because of that reason, and just updated it with transfer rumours as they come around, and think we'll be going back to model next time.

Yes please

Interesting response considering hardly any of your posts on this thread have contained any actual transfer rumours...

Never miss an opportunity for confrontation and snideyness do you. Telling.

No you're right , they've often been responses to people like you using it to slag off the board, and frankly I'm as tired now of it as I'm sure others are of reading it, going round in circles.

More than happy for them lock it down to avoid it. Sooner the better. Back to the hide post feature I think.
could just as easily delete the whole thread as we have only loosely been linked with 3 players anyway haven't we. The most quiet window that I can remember.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jeroen

So..... back on topic! :-)

According to Parker we are not looking at Dia

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-not-looking-to-sign-striker-dia-says-parker

And he mentioned something about the risk for owners and being in the bottom 3 and that the deal has to be right for all parties. This tells me LOAN WITH GUARANTEE TO BUY, right?

Holders

Quote from: Jeroen on January 20, 2021, 10:26:14 AM
So..... back on topic! :-)

According to Parker we are not looking at Dia

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-not-looking-to-sign-striker-dia-says-parker

And he mentioned something about the risk for owners and being in the bottom 3 and that the deal has to be right for all parties. This tells me LOAN WITH GUARANTEE TO BUY, right?

Loan certainly; option to buy ideally.

If we are looking at the right quality player then it's pretty obvious that no-one would come on a permanent with us in our present position. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jayffc

Quote from: Tabby on January 20, 2021, 09:48:54 AM
Parker saying that Dia has not been one of the names discussed in a new interview.

Shame, wonder who were looking at but sounds like due to our position were looking for a loan with an option to buy (ala
Dembele) in order to attract the level of player we want, who want to know for sure were staying up before committing-  and who we want to do the same with, in case worst case happens and we go back down ,we avoid FFP issues.
Fairly understandable that that's our position I suppose

mrmicawbers

A loan where the option is we must buy if we stay up may be more preferable to the selling club.

Whitestone

Burnley are making a move for Josh King apparently.

The Cravenette

We have our full loan quota though don't we?  So we would have to send one back or make one perm to get another loan in.

Milo

I'm locking this temporarily as have had to remove a number of disruptive posts.

Those posting argumentative material are simply ruining it for other members who want to briefly discuss transfer rumours.

Mince n Tatties

Just heard Stuttgart after Cauley Woodrow,but will most probably leave it till the Summer,as the German hierarchy looking at postponing games.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: The Cravenette on January 20, 2021, 11:02:01 AM
We have our full loan quota though don't we?  So we would have to send one back or make one perm to get another loan in.

I hope we can make one of the loans permanent this window. Reckon the most likely would be Aina or Lemina. Saw above Parker said we're not interested in Dia.....that's a shame, hopefully we have someone else lined up.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Craven Mad

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 20, 2021, 11:50:57 AM
Just heard Stuttgart after Cauley Woodrow,but will most probably leave it till the Summer,as the German hierarchy looking at postponing games.

This would be amazing for him.

He's done a great job in the Championship and deserves his shot at the big leagues again

The Rational Fan

Quote from: mrmicawbers on January 20, 2021, 10:45:35 AM
A loan where the option is we must buy if we stay up may be more preferable to the selling club.

A loan of £1m for a Top Striker with a £25m buy clause if we stay up, maybe very interesting to a selling club.

Tabby

Loan quota isn't a thing for players from foreign clubs. If we wanted to get a player from a domestic club we'd have to either buy Lemina or RLC or send one of them back though.

"With the exception of Welsh clubs competing in the competitions listed under Rule V.6.2, loans from a club in membership of another National Association do not count towards the above quotas."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

Statto

Quote from: Tabby on January 20, 2021, 12:06:10 PM

Loan quota isn't a thing for players from foreign clubs. If we wanted to get a player from a domestic club we'd have to either buy Lemina or RLC or send one of them back though.

"With the exception of Welsh clubs competing in the competitions listed under Rule V.6.2, loans from a club in membership of another National Association do not count towards the above quotas."

My understanding is we can't include more than 5 loans in the matchday squad (whether domestic or foreign)

FulhamStu

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 20, 2021, 09:29:17 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 20, 2021, 04:41:34 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2021, 10:28:52 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 19, 2021, 09:18:35 PM
to be fair, he spent big money on the well known domestic players of bobby cav and knockaert last season and that didn't turn out to well.

You sure? They got us promoted. So I'd say they worked out well. Or do you attribute that to Parker's sheer brilliance as a manager, rather than having a good squad at his disposal?
086.gif :005:

Historical Analysis
The only sensible analysis of the "Bobby, Cav and Knockaert" signings is that they weren't the greatest or worst signings ever (prove that TK is improving); but there were good enough to keep us a YO-YO team allowing us to get more signings. If we keep signing players of their quality and value, then we will likely stay a YO-YO team, which is OK

Future
I am convinced, the longer Tony Khan keeps us a YO-YO team and the more he is involved, the more Khan money will be spent and the better it will be spent, so one day (maybe in a few years) we will end 17th in the Premier League.

We could finish the season in a number of positions this season: i) 17th position, which is our dream; ii) 18th with a good balance sheet, which places us favorites for promotion; or iii) 18th with a terrible balance sheet, with FFP laws requiring us to do a massive cut in the wages bill. Tony Khan's #1 focus should to be avoid the last possibility.

I have to disagree with you regarding being a yo yo team. Nothing is gained short or long term as there is no stability and no direction. We will be treading water if that keeps occurring. Loans coming in and going out, no foundation with a profusion of players passing each other in opposite directions like ships in the night. That in itself rules out any real empathy for players who come and go. Far more difficult to build a real team spirit.
You cannot build or plan anything with that philosophy and further more it denies and reduces Academy players getting an opportunity of playing in any matches. Overall the cost of going up and down like an empty lift is that it will cost the club in more ways than one, and not just financially. Our identity will be tarnished unnecessarily. A recipe for problems on and off the pitch whichever Division a club may find itself in. The idea of getting promoted is to stay promoted, and make plans to stay promoted which requires foresight and vision rather than accept what you are suggesting, and spend the whole year putting out fires, no sense in that. Managers have to be supported by their employees in enabling them to give the team the best chance of staying in the top flight. Otherwise you will be replacing staff non stop on and off the pitch every year without gaining anything but the wrong reputation.
As I have tried to explain if you get promoted you pull out all the stops to stay promoted.

True, but on the other had, converting good loans to perm and getting rid of poor loans is potentially very effective.

twang

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2021, 12:27:22 PM

My understanding is we can't include more than 5 loans in the matchday squad (whether domestic or foreign)

We've had 6 loan players on the pitch at the same time this season, Newcastle away is one example.

Areola, Aina, Andersen, Lemina, RLC & Lookman.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2021, 12:27:22 PM

i had this conversation with a sports writer in the summer. Neither of us can actually find a rule that states it for prem teams. So I don't think it's an actual thing. And I read through the whole prem rule book which I do not recommend.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Twig

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on January 20, 2021, 09:31:38 AM
Quote from: The Cravenette on January 20, 2021, 09:24:40 AM
Is there any chance this thread could just stick to the title- transfer rumours? Other discussions, slagging/supporting TK, slagging/supporting Parker etc can have their own threads surely.

We locked this thread last time, purely because of that reason, and just updated it with transfer rumours as they come around, and think we'll be going back to model next time.

I would vote for that too. The protracted threads regurgitating the same old arguments e.g. about SP's managerial competence, are just so tedious