more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 26/12/20...

Started by WhiteJC, December 26, 2020, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Fulham vs. Southampton

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode previews the upcoming match for Fulham against Southampton, but we also talked about Anderson's red card being rescinded, and the news that Scott Parker will not be at Craven Cottage for the match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/12/24/22199160/cottage-talk-preview-fulham-vs-southampton

WhiteJC

Premier League festive predictions: Lawro v singer and Manchester United fan Rick Astley

Liverpool are top of the table this Christmas but the big game on 26 December is second-placed Leicester against third-placed Manchester United.

Will the Foxes or United challenge the Reds for the Premier League title in 2021? Or will it be someone else?

"Along with Manchester City, United seem the most likely team to me to run Liverpool close," said BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson. "After a slow start to the season, they have just started to get it together.

"United will be a threat to Liverpool, and Manchester City will be there or thereabouts too. They have got too much quality not to be."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 Premier League matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This weekend, he is up against singer Rick Astley, whose new festive single 'Love this Christmas' is out now.

Astley performed 'Every One of Us' at last weekend's BBC Sport's Personality of the Year awards - his song was used to launch 2020's Unsung Hero awards and raise money for Children In Need.

"It was so weird on the one hand, because you are so used to seeing 10,000 people at SPOTY, but it was still a great night and they threw everything they could at it to make it work as well as possible in the circumstances," he told BBC Sport.

Astley is a Manchester United fan and the last time he took on Lawro, in 2016, he revealed he thought he might be a jinx because his first few visits to Old Trafford saw them lose.

He told BBC Sport: "I don't think I'm a real jinx, but funnily enough I was talking about that to someone last weekend because [United striker] Marcus Rashford was coming into the building for SPOTY.

"I would have loved to have met him properly - I have spoken to him very briefly before at the club's training ground in Carrington - and obviously I had see watched him play that day in United's win over Leeds before he came over, so I thought he'd be in a good mood.

"Then I thought 'hang on, you are being daft - you can't just go and say hello to people because everyone is trying to observe social distancing', which is why we were doing the show that way in the first place.

"So I didn't talk to him, but it was brilliant to see Marcus recognised for his work to raise awareness of child poverty in the UK with a special award.

"Premier League footballers are usually among the first people in society who are pointed at because of the money they earn, especially when one of them does something stupid.

"But you have to remember a lot of them are very young which can distort your behaviour, I can relate to that a bit with the music industry where you can have a hit record out and a year later your bank manager is saying 'you'd better sit down' if it goes really well.

"So I can understand when the money side of it turns players' heads, but I think it is really good that we have had so many positive role models emerge in football in the past few years and tackling some important topics, not just Marcus but someone like Raheem Sterling at Manchester City as well.

"As professional athletes they are very privileged to earn what they do and are quite sheltered from the realities of life, but listening to Rashford it is clear he can relate to being a kid in a situation where life is not treating you well, and you are not getting the opportunities or - in his case - even getting enough food.

"He's experienced it, and seen the difference between the haves and the have nots in Manchester, which is quite stark. It's the same in all big cities of course, but I can relate to it with Manchester because I grew up close by and saw that for myself.

"So it's important for him to speak out - and I'm really pleased he's been recognised for what he has done."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Fulham v Southampton (15:00 GMT)

Southampton could be without a few key players - Oriol Romeu is definitely missing through suspension and Danny Ings, Jannik Vestergaard and Nathan Redmond are all injury doubts. Collectively, their absence would make a big difference.

I'm going to go with Fulham here, even with manager Scott Parker missing from the dugout. After a poor start to the season they have been improving in recent weeks, with three successive draws.

The Cottagers have become much more difficult to beat, now they need to turn those draws into wins.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Rick's prediction: I quite like Fulham and have been to a few games at Craven Cottage - a friend of mine, Richard Drummie from Go West, has got season tickets there and phones me up sometimes when his son doesn't want to go - but unfortunately for them I think Southampton are going to win this one. 0-2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55371882

WhiteJC

Ivan Cavaleiro doubtful and Scott Parker absent for Fulham

Fulham could be without Ivan Cavaleiro for their Boxing Day clash with Southampton, with manager Scott Parker also absent from the dugout.

The forward pulled up in the warm-up before the Newcastle game and remains a doubt for the fixture while the manager is self-isolating after a member of his household returned a positive Covid-19 test.

Kenny Tete will be unlikely to feature after his wife gave birth while Terence Kongolo suffered a minor setback and is likely to be out for a further 10 days before being able to return to training. Mario Lemina is also ineligible to face his parent club but Joachim Andersen will be available after his red card against Newcastle was overturned.

Southampton have several selection concerns ahead of the trip to Craven Cottage, where they will be missing Oriol Romeu through suspension.

Striker Danny Ings (hamstring) and defender Jannik Vestergaard (knee) are doubts, along with winger Nathan Redmond, who is struggling with a hip problem.

Ghanaian centre-back Mohammed Salisu could be set to step in for a belated debut following a summer switch from Real Valladolid, having again been an unused substitute for the defeat by Manchester City.

Fulham provisional squad: Areola, Aina, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Decordova-Reid, Anguissa, Reed, Robinson, Cairney, Lookman, Mitrovic, Rodak, Hector, Odoi, Ream, Loftus-Cheek, Bryan, Kamara, Cavaleiro.

Southampton provisional squad: McCarthy, Walker-Peters, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Diallo, Ward-Prowse, Djenepo, Ings, Adams, Walcott, Forster, Stephens, Salisu, Redmond, Armstrong, Tella, Smallbone, Long, N'Lundulu, Obafemi.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ivan-cavaleiro-doubtful-and-scott-parker-absent-for-fulham-1608822477000

WhiteJC

Scott Parker confident of 'big influence' despite being unable to attend match

Scott Parker insists he will still have a "big influence" despite being unable to take his place in the Fulham dugout for the Boxing Day clash with Southampton after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19.

The Fulham manager returned a negative test but has been self-isolating this week, away from the member of his household who tested positive, in accordance with the government guidelines.

"I'm feeling well...obviously due to the guidelines I've had to self-isolate myself, so there's no denying I'm disappointed," Parker said.

"The family member is fine and is on the mend, but obviously for me now I'm self-isolating and doing things from the distance of the room really."

Not being able to attend the match inevitably means Parker's ability to direct matters and impact proceedings as he normally would from the touchline will be affected.

However, he says he will still be able to see plenty of the action and will remain in constant contact with his "great" coaching staff on Boxing Day, allowing him to maintain a large degree of control – even if he accepts it is not as good as being there in the flesh.

"Of course I'll do all I can from home really. I'll be in constant dialogue and I'll have a main feed going into the dugout," he said.

"I'll have a laptop and screens that have a lot of different angles of how we see the game or how I see the game, so I'll be in constant dialogue with how I see things.

"Is that going to be as good as being live and around it? Of course not, but that's the predicament that I'm in at this present moment in time, but no doubt I've got great coaches and a great staff who will take the reins more personally there but also I can have a big influence from where I am."

Assistant manager Stuart Gray and first-team coach Matt Wells will take charge of the Cottagers, while Parker could return for Fulham's trip to Tottenham on December 30, subject to providing a further negative test result.

Having already been separated from his team during the first lockdown in March, the manager said there were similarities to his current situation.

"It's very similar. Obviously I think the lockdown period gave us some ideas of how to coach from afar, although this time it is a little bit different because we're in competition at this present moment in time," Parker said.

"Last time we weren't in competition, although we were keeping other players active and trying to keep them fit for what was the remainder of an important season.

"But this moment, this is real competition and we have a Premier League game on Saturday which obviously I'm not going to be able to take part in, or this week's training leading into it.

"So look we're doing everything we can.

"I've got everything set up, I'm in constant dialogue with my staff, got an unbelievable team around me – you probably expect me to say that but it's the truth – and have been working with me for a long time, and also the players to be honest, so I know they're in good hands and obviously I'm maintaining constant communication with everyone really."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-confident-of-big-influence-despite-being-unable-to-attend-match-1608827773000

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Southampton: Can Saints deliver a holiday present?

Southampton are back in London to take on newly-promoted Fulham for a Boxing Day match that the Saints will look to be victorious for supporters.

Fulham, currently sit in 18th entering this match and Southampton find themselves in 7th after the previous week's result.

Fulham, are coming off of three consecutive draws and have to be gaining some confidence in the Premier League. The Saints need to bounce back after a loss to Manchester City and this is the perfect match for them to bounce back.

The Saints have been victorious in 5 of the last 6 meetings between the two so let us see how either Fulham can change that or how Southampton will keep the trend alive.

How Fulham Will Win

Fulham, have only scored 13 goals this season and this will pose an issue for them if they hope to get a result in this match. The good news? Their defense has only conceded 2 goals in their last three matches and they will have to rely on that for a result on Saturday.

Southampton still struggle to break down a team when they drop back and defend and if Fulham are smart they will do just that and look to hit the Saints on the counter.

A player like Mitrovic who can hold up the ball while the wide players make runs will be crucial for their success.

If this turns out to be a low scoring match with only a goal or two in it I suspect Fulham may end up with a point or three.

How Southampton Will Win

The Saints will need to make sure Fulham are never comfortable on the ball and when they turn them over they need to strike quickly. I would like to see some quicker movements and passes by the Saints this match.

The key the Saints scoring multiple goals will be to not let the defense get back and settled into their low-block. Without Danny Ings I think we may see Tella start up top and his pace could be helpful in this match.

We could also see a debut handed out to Mohammed Salisu and this will be a good chance for the player to impress against a team that struggles to score.

If Southampton score first I like their chances to win this match. Getting that second goal will be the key to the match.

Predicted Line-ups

Fulham: 3-4-1-2

Goalkeeper: Alphonse Areola

Defenders: Tosin Adarabioyo, Michael Hector, Joe Bryan

Midfielders: Bobby Reid, Andre-Frank Anguissa, Harrison Reed, Antonee Robinson

Attacking Midfielder: Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Strikers: Aleksander Mitrovic, Ademola Lookman

Southampton: 4-2-2-2

Goalkeeper: Alex McCarthy

Defenders: Kyle Walker-Peters, Mohammed Salisu, Jan Bednarek, Ryan Bertrand

Midfielders: James Ward-Prowse, Ibrahima Diallo

Attacking Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, Moussa Djenepo

Strikers: Che Adams, Nathan Tella

Predicted Score

Fulham 1-3 Southampton

https://saintsmarching.com/2020/12/24/fulham-vs-southampton-can-saints-deliver-holiday-present/

WhiteJC

Parker keen to have both Cavaleiro and Mitrovic

Fulham have fingers crossed Ivan Cavaleiro comes through a late fitness test so he can face Southampton on Boxing Day.

The Portuguese was on the original teamsheet to face Newcastle last weekend, but ended up in the stand after tweaking a muscle in the warm-up.

The plan had been to pair him with Aleksandar Mitrovic in a double-pronged attack.

In the past, Cavaleiro was used more of a winger, with Mitrovic the lone front man.

However, the Serb has been low on confidence, and Scott Parker believes two very different players playing off each other is the immediate way forward.

"Both players different qualities and they're there for everyone to see, which is what you need in the Premier League," the head coach said.

"It means you can attack in different ways, and what Mitro gives to the team obvious as well as his ways of bringing different players into to the game.

"Cav can stretch defences and that makes a difference too.

"They have different attributes, and that's going to help us."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/different-qualities-parker-keen-to-have-both-cavaleiro-and-mitrovic

WhiteJC

Messages from the Fulham family

The Fulham Supporters' Trust and Fulham Football Club have collaborated to bring fans together this Christmas and celebrate the special nature of our club. We know that it may be a difficult Christmas for some, but we wanted everyone to know that as a Fulham fan, you will never be alone.

Les Strong
Can you tell us about your first memory of Fulham?

My first memory was my debut for the youth team against Arsenal in 1969. George Cohen was my manager. I played in midfield and scored with a header. I didn't realise then that, 51 years later, I'd still be involved with the club.
Do you have a favourite game at Craven Cottage?

It is hard to pick out a favourite game – there were many memorable ones. All the derbies against Chelsea were special and the Lincoln game to win promotion in 1982 is up there, but strangely a game against Millwall in the early eighties stands out because it was the only one of my games that my brother came to watch. He hates football and was totally bored, but I tried to put on a show for him. I think I played well.
What makes Craven Cottage so special to you?

Everything is special. Seeing the ground as you walk down Finlay Street, the Cottage, the old stand, the wonderful memories, the great players we've had, the black and white kit, but above all the supporters. I've made many friendships over the years that have lasted until today and just to chat to them and listen to their memories is a joy.
What's the greatest goal you've seen at Craven Cottage?

There are so many great goals. Allan Mulley's against Leicester that won goal of the season in 1974, Roger Brown's against Lincoln to win promotion, but the greatest ever goal was my first against Blackpool in 1973! It was my first goal – and I only scored five more in 427 games.
Do you have a Christmas message for the Fulham fans?

I wish all Fulham fans a happy Christmas and to make the best of it that you can at this difficult time. Put up your tree with lots of decorations and phone or text your family and friends.
What are you looking forward to most in 2021?

I'm looking forward to the world getting back to normal and being able to watch Fulham play with our new stand sitting proudly by the Thames. It won't get any better than that!

Paul Konchesky

My first real memory of Craven Cottage was when I signed for Fulham and obviously went to the stadium to look around with David Healy, Steve Davis, Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird as we all signed at roughly the same time!
Do you have a favourite memory of Craven Cottage?

My favourite game has to be the Europa League comeback against Juventus

I think Craven Cottage is really special because of how close the fans are to the pitch. It is at its best for an evening game, especially when the crowd really get the stadium buzzing and obviously with the old Cottage still being such a major part of the stadium.

The best goal I've probably seen at the Cottage has to be that Clint Dempsey chip against Juventus to seal the game for us. I was luckily enough to be playing at the time! COYW!

Merry Christmas to all you Fulham fans. I hope you make the most of what you can do at this special time of year. Keep supporting such a fantastic football club and I hope to see you all back at the Cottage as soon as possible.

I'm looking forward to watching Fulham push up the league and really want to get myself down to a game, see so many friendly faces and get behind the team!

Ademola Lookman

The amazing 2010 Europa League journey to the final. I remember following that great run.

This season's win against West Brom was really special.

The old wooden seats in the Johnny Haynes stand – they really add to the character of the ground.

Ola Aina's fantastic strike at Craven Cottage against West Brom.

Merry Christmas. I hope everyone is going to have a wonderful day. Stay healthy, stay safe and hopefully 2021 is going to be a big year for us!

To keep progressing and going up another level.

Joe Bryan

The game against Juventus in the Europa League at Craven Cottage and the incredible run in that competition.

The 4-0 win against Millwall.

It's not a lifeless modern bowl – it has a lot of character.

Clint Dempsey's chip against Juventus.

Merry Christmas. Stay safe, don't be too disheartened if you can't see your family. It's better to stay safe and look forward to the future when things will be better.

Staying in the Premier League and welcoming the supporters back to Craven Cottage.

Harrison Reed
Can you tell us about your first memory of Craven Cottage?

Wow – probably Clint Dempsey's chip in the Europa League against Juventus. That's the first memory that comes to mind: the atmosphere at the Cottage and that special goal.

In my short career playing here, I'd probably go back to the win over Leeds last season. Also, the draw against Liverpool recently. Although I didn't play a big part in it, the atmosphere with the fans back made that one a really special day.
What makes Craven Cottage special to you?

When you turn up the ground outside, you just feel the history straight away. You walk through and the changing rooms are a little bit different, it's just got that special feel to it. It's just a great stadium.

I was going to say the Kasami chest and volley but that's Selhurst Park, isn't it?! I'd have to go for Clint Dempsey's dink against Juventus.

Merry Christmas! Thank you for all your support. We're missing you guys and we can't wait to have you back at the Cottage.

A successful season with Fulham – and for everyone to remain healthy.

Bobby Zamora

Going into the training ground and meeting Roy. It was a good meeting – I liked what I saw. I left the club that I grew up supporting [West Ham] to sign for Fulham, so it was a big deal. Everything impressed me.

Obviously, Juventus. It was a truly magnificent night and showed the togetherness in the changing room and how we all fought together to overcome some huge names.

We had fantastic memories there. Especially in the Europa League run season. We overcame so many great teams. That whole season was special at the Cottage.

Clint Dempsey versus Juventus. Though I didn't want him to score it as I wanted extra time so we could absolutely batter the life out of them with another half hour; I wanted more goals. But Clint's was a nice one on such a big occasion.

Happy Christmas! Enjoy every moment.

A little bit of normality and going to watch a game in person. I've watched a lot of football at home this season, it will be nice to go to a stadium to see a game live.

We would like to thank Fulham Football Club, Carmelo Mifsud, Geoff Pruce and Sarah Brookes for helping the Fulham Supporters' Trust bring the Fulham family together with these Christmas messages.

Extra special thanks of course to Les, Paul, Ademola, Joe, Harrison and Bobby.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2020/12/messages-from-the-fulham-family/

WhiteJC

'Hot track' – Club's chase for Fulham player pushed forward, Cottagers make €20m valuation

At the start of this week, Calciomercato explained Fulham's André-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Lille's Boubakary Soumaré are back on AC Milan's transfer agenda for the winter market.

It was also stated Stefano Pioli's side will only consider signing either of them in the upcoming window if they were made available on a loan deal.

The Rossoneri's interest in the duo is once again discussed by TuttoMercatoWeb and the outlet provides more details about the Cottagers midfielder.

It's claimed Soumaré is in the sights of the Serie A side and that's about the only information mentioned about the Lille player.

Regarding the Cameroon international, TMW explain the 'odds rise', most likely for the possibility for him to arrive at San Siro in January.

Milan view Anguissa as a 'physical player' with 'good technique' and these qualities would make him a good 'alternative' to Franck Kessié.

The Italian side are willing to take Scott Parker's man on a loan deal 'with the right of redemption'. The Premier League side value the former Marseille man around €20m and are aiming for the same figures for the 'obligation to redeem'.

Anguissa's chase is a 'hot track' for Milan, and we need to wait and see how things progress in the coming weeks.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/hot-track-clubs-chase-fulham-player-pushed-forward-cottagers-make-e20m-valuation/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker finding isolation "frustrating" as Fulham play on

Scott Parker believes he is unable to do his job "to the maximum" during his period of self-isolation but insisted they are making the best of a bad situation.

The Fulham boss will be absent from the touchline for the visit of Southampton on Boxing Day after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19, but could return for the short trip to Tottenham on December 30 if he returns a further negative test.

"I miss that (hands-on coaching) massively. That's what's frustrating really – frustrating because we're in competition," the 40-year-old said.

"The last time we were in lockdown, no one was in competition, you're not competing at that moment, you're just competing in your own way in terms of trying to get players to their optimum levels for when the season starts up again, but at this moment we're competing.

"I feel I'm not able to do that to my maximum, I'm not able to do my job to my maximum. I understand why, of course, but while others are, I'm not. That's probably what is a bit frustrating."

Matt Wells and Stuart Gray are set to take charge of the Cottagers on Saturday but Parker said he is trying to make the best of a bad situation and use modern technology to have as big an influence as possible from home.

"It's been different, as you'd expect it would be," he said. "I'm still having meetings like I would on a daily basis before training, planning them with the staff, I'm just not there physically.

"The input is still pretty much the same, but my presence around the place and taking training, being on the grass, is obviously not there.

"I think the world we live in now has certainly taught me how to use the technology we have to hand and finding different ways. That's what we're doing at the moment to try and make the best of a bad situation."

Fulham have suffered just one defeat, away at Manchester City, in their last five matches, which included an away victory at Leicester and a draw against Liverpool.

Southampton have impressed so far this season and currently sit in seventh place, having been inside the top four before their own defeat to City, and Parker believes it will be a difficult game.

"It's fair to say (they are) a very very good team and they've done remarkably well, a high-pressure team with a lot of quality in their side as well," he said.

"So a tough game for us at the weekend, but one we're going to go into trying to get a result."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/scott-parker-finding-isolation-frustrating-as-fulham-play-on_427961.html

WhiteJC

Is Fulham vs Southampton on TV today? Kick-off time, channel and how to watch Premier League fixture

Everything you need to know ahead of the this afternoon's match

Fulham welcome Southampton to Craven Cottage in the Premier League on Boxing Day.

Scott Parker will be absent from the dugout for the hosts, with the head coach having to self-isolate after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19. The Cottagers have finally begun to find their feet in the top flight, having gone unbeaten in their past three games, and were bitterly unlucky against Newcastle last time out when Joachim Andersen was controversially sent off - a decision which has since been overturned on appeal. Those results have left Fulham two points adrift of safety, representing something of a major improvement after their disastrous start.

Southampton, meanwhile, have been magnificent this season, with Ralph Hasenhuttl's side taking 24 points from 14 games and losing just two of their last 10 top flight games - against Manchester United and Manchester City. They will have to manage without prolific striker Danny Ings, though, who suffered an injury last time out.

Ralph Hasenhuttl's side enter the weekend seven points adrift of leaders Liverpool and victory could see them move as high as second depending on results elsewhere. Here is everything you need to know:

When is it and what time is kick-off?

The game will take place at 3pm on Saturday 26 December at Craven Cottage.

How can I watch it online and on TV?

The match will be televised on Sky Sports.

If you're not a Sky customer you can grab a NOWTV Day Pass here to watch without a subscription.

We may earn commission from some of the links in this article, but we never allow this to influence our content.

What is the team news?

Joachim Andersen is available for Fulham after successfully appealing his red card against Newcastle. Ivan Cavaleiro is a doubt after pulling up during the warm-up of that game. Mario Lemina is not able to feature against his parent club.

Oriol Romeu is suspended while star striker Danny Ings is unavailable after suffering an injury against Man City.

Predicted line-ups

Fulham: Areola; Aina, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Robinson; Reed, Anguissa; Reid, Loftus-Cheek, Lookman; Mitrovic

Southampton: McCarthy; Walker-Peters, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand; Djenepo, Diallo, Ward-Prowse, Redmond; Adams, Walcott

What are the odds?

Fulham: 11/5

Draw: 9/4

Southampton: 11/8

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham/southampton-tv-channel-time-watch-b1778717.html

WhiteJC

Frustrated Scott Parker 'finding different ways' to work in self-isolation

Scott Parker believes he is unable to do his job "to the maximum" during his period of self-isolation but insisted they are making the best of a bad situation.

The Fulham boss will be absent from the touchline for the visit of Southampton on Boxing Day after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19, but could return for the short trip to Tottenham on December 30 if he returns a further negative test.

"I miss that (hands-on coaching) massively. That's what's frustrating really – frustrating because we're in competition," the 40-year-old said.

"I've got an unbelievable team around me. I know the players are in good hands, and I'm maintaining constant communication with everyone."

"The last time were were in lockdown, no one was in competition, you're not competing at that moment, you're just competing in your own way in terms of trying to get players to their optimum levels for when the season starts up again, but at this moment we're competing.

"I feel I'm not able to do that to my maximum, I'm not able to do my job to my maximum. I understand why, of course, but while others are, I'm not. That's probably what is a bit frustrating."

Matt Wells and Stuart Gray are set to take charge of the Cottagers on Saturday but Parker said he is trying to make the best of a bad situation and use modern technology to have as big an influence as possible from home.

"It's been different, as you'd expect it would be," he said. "I'm still having meetings like I would on a daily basis before training, planning them with the staff, I'm just not there physically.

"The input is still pretty much the same, but my presence around the place and taking training, being on the grass, is obviously not there.

"I think the world we live in now has certainly taught me how to use the technology we have to hand and finding different ways. That's what we're doing at the moment to try and make the best of a bad situation."

Fulham have suffered just one defeat, away at Manchester City, in their last five matches, which included an away victory at Leicester and a draw against Liverpool.
Advertisement

Southampton have impressed so far this season and currently sit in seventh place, having been inside the top four before their own defeat to City, and Parker believes it will be a difficult game.

"It's fair to say (they are) a very very good team and they've done remarkably well, a high-pressure team with a lot of quality in their side as well," he said.

"So a tough game for us at the weekend, but one we're going to go into trying to get a result."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/frustrated-scott-parker-finding-different-ways-to-work-in-self-isolation-1608935452000

WhiteJC

'Focused' Hector backed to regain Fulham place

Scott Parker has hinted that Michael Hector is closer to winning back a place in the Fulham side.

The former Chelsea defender got his first taste of Premier League football in nearly four months when he came on as a substitute against Newcastle last week.

That appearance only came because of the red card shown to Joachim Andersen.

In fact, both the Dane and Tosin Adarabioyo have cemented their places at the heart of the defence, but with a slew of games over the holiday period, Parker is ready to shuffle his pack – even with Andersen's dismissal rescinded.

"Over the last six or seven weeks I see someone who's fully focused, and who has an understanding of what's needed to be a top Premier League footballer," the head coach said.

"He did incredibly well for us last year, but didn't have a big turnaround in terms pre-season

"He's also just had a newborn baby, and he struggled – he would be the first to say that you hadn't seen the best side of Michael Hector.

"But give him some time and a reset. He's got a real upbeatness about him, and moving forward he can hopefully get more game time in the coming weeks."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/focused-hector-backed-to-regain-fulham-place

WhiteJC

Parker expects Fulham departures – and maybe loan signings

Stefan Johansen has already spoken of his desire to leave, and with fellow midfielders Kevin McDonald, Jean Michel-Seri, defender Maxime Le Marchand – the latter pair costing a total £25m at the beginning of 2018-19 – all but left in the cold, the head coach is hoping to clear the decks.

Chances are he will loan out midfielder Josh Onomah in order to give the midfielder game time after his return from injury.

"I think some people need to leave the football club," the head coach said.

"We have a lot of players and it's a big squad, and there are players who want to play.

"If we're going to get anyone, it's more likely to be a loan."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-parker-expects-fulham-departures-and-maybe-some-loan-signings

WhiteJC

Southampton eye club record against promoted sides

Team news

Scott Parker (self-isolating) will not be in the dugout for Fulham with Matt Wells and Start Gray taking charge of the team to face Southampton.

Mario Lemina is ineligible to play, while Terence Kongolo and Kenny Tete are doubts. Joachim Andersen is available after his red card at Newcastle United last time out was rescinded.

Danny Ings (hamstring) is a major doubt while Ibrahima Diallo is in line for his first start for Southampton in place of Oriol Romeu, who serves a one-match suspension.
Did you know?

Fulham have drawn their last three Premier League matches, as many draws as they'd had in their previous 34 top-flight fixtures.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is aiming to end a 10-match PL goalless streak, his longest run without a goal in English league football.

Southampton can secure a 10th straight PL win over promoted clubs for the first time.

Saints have won six of their last eight league matches on Boxing Day (D1 L1), and three of their last four PL meetings with Fulham.
Match officials

Referee: Darren England. Assistants: Mark Scholes, Sian Massey-Ellis. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1950117

WhiteJC

Bournemouth 'willing to sell' 28-year-old attacker

Bournemouth are 'willing to sell' Josh King this winter, according to a report by The Athletic.

The forward only has six months left on his contract with the Cherries and they will let him leave for the right price next month.

Premier League return?

King, who is 28 years old, nearly left in the last transfer window but stuck around for the first-half of this season. However, he has made just six appearances for Jason Tindall's men this season and could now be on his way.

Premier League duo Aston Villa and Fulham have been linked with him over recent times, as covered by The72.
Five years...

The Norway international joined Bournemouth in 2015 and has chipped in with in 50 goals in all competitions over the past five years.

He started his career in England at Manchester United and the Red Devils tried to bring him back to Old Trafford in January. The dream move back to the North West giants fell through and he remained at Bournemouth for their relegation from the top flight.

King made two appearances for United's first-team as a youngster and had also loan spells away at Preston North End, Borussia Monchengladbach, Hull City and Blackburn Rovers.

Blackburn made his move to Ewood Park permanent in 2013 and he scored eight goals in 74 matches for the Lancashire side before Bournemouth signed him in 2015.

King has been a good servant for the Cherries but his time there appears to be coming to an end with a January departure on the cards.

https://the72.co.uk/210369/bournemouth-willing-to-sell-28-year-old-attacker/

WhiteJC

Saints At Fulham The Preview

Saints head to Fulham but are set to have to take on the Cottagers without 4 of their key players, as they look to push themselves back into the top 5 , can they show the squad has the depth to be able to cope ?

There were some who expressed concerns a few weeks ago that the first XI for Saints was being over played and that Ralph Hasenhuttl wasn't using his squad enough to give key players a rest and keep them fresh.

The warning signs were there after Danny Ings was injured with 10 minutes to go at Aston Villa with the team 4-1 up with 10 minutes to go.

Now Saints go to a tough game against the rejuvenated Fulham without 4 of the vital members of the squad who have put them there, Oriol Romeu is suspended and he is likely to be joined on the sidelines by Danny Ings with a hamstring injury, Jannik Vestergaard with a knee injury and Nathan Redmond has a muscle injury with his hip.

That is a big blow to a squad that has relied on a core of only a dozen outfield players in it's starting line up since the opening two games.

The loss of Jannik Vestergaard will perhaps be the biggest loss, it has been his sudden rise that has been the backbone to which our great run has been built, there are only two real options to replace him, Jack Stephens or the completely untried summer signing Mohammed Salisu.

This highlights why it is a problem, Salisu has been on the bench for the last couple of games, but has not played a game of any kind since July.

Danny Ings failing to pass muster will be a blow but he can be replaced, perhaps not to the levels that he plays at, but Che Adams and Theo Walcott are a decent strike force.

Oriol Romeu will likely be replaced by another summer signing Ibrahima Diallo, but he has played only a few minutes here and there and lacks experience at this level.

This is a game that Saints need to win if they are to keep up their challenge at the top, I keep mentioning three game tranches and if we lose this we will have taken only a single point from the last three games and we are heading off course, win it though and we will be only slightly under the par score needed.

Fulham have picked up of late, since beating Leicester City away from home they have lost only once in the next four games, although the other 3 games have all ended in draws.

We can go into this game with confidence, but will we have too many players in the starting line up who are not match sharp and will take time to find the pace of the game ?

That is my worry especially since Fulham will come out fighting for their lives, knowing that a win could lift them out of the bottom three.

But they have issues of their own, manager Scott Parker is self isolating after a member of his household had a positive Covid 19 test.

Also out is Mario Lemina who cannot play against his parent club Saints, he is likely to be replaced by ex Saint Harrison Reed, both have vied with each other for a place in the starting line up with Scott Parker seemingly deciding that they can't play in the same team, Lemina has been preferred of late, so his absence will probably see Harrison Reed promoted from the bench to replace him.

Ivan Cavaleiro could well be missing up front for a second game and he will be a loss, Kenny Tete not so much so, his wife has had a baby and so he will not feature, but he has made only 2 appearances this season.

New permanent signing Terence Kongolo will again be missing with a long term injury and has not played since his debut back in January after joining on loan from Huddersfield.

I would imagine that Jack Stephens will step in to replace Vestergaard, Diallo to fill in for Romeu and Stuart Armstrong will return to the starting line up as Ralph has a little reshuffle.

I think the starting XI will be:

McCarthy

Walker Peters, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand

Armstrong, Ward Prowse, Diallo, Djenepo

Walcott Adams.

On the bench we will still have options including

Salisu, Tella, N'Lundulu, Long, Smallbone, Valery and Obafemi, all of whom have experience, all bar Salisu in the Premier League, but these options are limited and to be blunt I can't say that we have game changers on the bench as we have had during the previous games.

We can win this game, but we will need to show spirit and get things right at the back, I think we have a strong enough squad to deal with injury crisis's such as this, I would say that the starting line up this afternoon and indeed the bench is still stronger that the one of two years ago when Ralph arrived, we won games back then and can win them now.

But the real issue if the lack of game time for those coming into the side and on the bench, we have not managed substitutions well enough earlier in the season and this has come home to roost this week, the question now is whether that will be a deciding factor or not at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/53767/