News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Prediction - our final points total this season?

Started by davew, December 27, 2020, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Summary of Forum Members Views on our points total this season

23 or less
2 (2.4%)
24 to 28
7 (8.5%)
29 to 32
20 (24.4%)
33 to 36
43 (52.4%)
37 or more
10 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Twig

Quote from: FFC In Oz on December 27, 2020, 03:18:57 PM
26.  We need to start turning these home draws in to wins if we're going to be any shot of staying up
Quote from: fulhamben on December 27, 2020, 12:18:24 PM
As things stand, I make you about right for mid twenties. Something needs to change, either players or management.

Mid 20's. So that's 14 more points to the end of the season. Seems very pessimistic to me.

fulhamben

Quote from: Twig on December 27, 2020, 04:23:33 PM
26.  We need to start turning these home draws in to wins if we're going to be any shot of staying up
As things stand, I make you about right for mid twenties. Something needs to change, either players or management.

Mid 20's. So that's 14 more points to the end of the season. Seems very pessimistic to me.
its roughly in line with our points per game so far.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Twig

Quote from: fulhamben on December 27, 2020, 04:31:52 PM

But we have clearly improved since our awful start. Only one defeat and 7 points from our last six games, if you project that form it's a different picture.  That's exactly why I called you pessimistic.

fulhamben

Quote from: Twig on December 27, 2020, 05:45:41 PM

But we have clearly improved since our awful start. Only one defeat and 7 points from our last six games, if you project that form it's a different picture.  That's exactly why I called you pessimistic.
our awful start will still be taken into account at the end of the season. And I say you are being overly optimistic. One point from our first five games. Six points from our next five games, and only four points from the last five games. Plus our goals have now dried up.

SG

Quote from: fulhamben on December 27, 2020, 05:54:12 PM

our awful start will still be taken into account at the end of the season. And I say you are being overly optimistic. One point from our first five games. Six points from our next five games, and only four points from the last five games. Plus our goals have now dried up.

To look at things over a longer scale we have secured 11 points from the last 11 games having played a reasonable cross section of teams. It is not therefore unreasonable or overly pessimistic to project 24 over the next 24 games given the improvement and that at long last we are not conceding goals unnecessarily. 35 points probably won't be sufficient but a damn sight better than we feared after the first four games.

fulhamben

Quote from: SG on December 27, 2020, 06:01:13 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on December 27, 2020, 05:54:12 PM

To look at things over a longer scale we have secured 11 points from the last 11 games having played a reasonable cross section of teams. It is not therefore unreasonable or overly pessimistic to project 24 over the next 24 games given the improvement and that at long last we are not conceding goals unnecessarily. 35 points probably won't be sufficient but a damn sight better than we feared after the first four games.
do points really matter? You either stay up or you don't. Were Westham fans happier when they got relegated because they managed to get 42 points that year, no, no they wasn't. The only target is Derby's record low points tally then after that relegation is just as bad no matter where you finish or the points you amass Imo.

Woolly Mammoth

I predict that we will treble our current points total minimum by the end of the season, assuming we can bring in a forward that will not only make an impact with goals scored, but players in all other positions also need to make a contribution by finding the net also.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Interesting opinions, these are the matches I think we could get some points, Burnley (a) 1, WBA (a) 1m West Ham (H) 1, Sheff Utd (h) 3, Leeds (h) 1, Wolves (h) 1, Burnley (h) 1 and Newcastle (h) 3, that is 12 in total, the other matches I can't see us getting any points, obviously I will be proven wrong!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2020, 07:03:45 PM
I predict that we will treble our current points total minimum by the end of the season, assuming we can bring in a forward that will not only make an impact with goals scored, but players in all other positions also need to make a contribution by finding the net.
Maybe Woolly, I perhaps forgot to add that my opinion is based on the present squad and no additional striker(s) being signed.

Woolly Mammoth

You have left out Tottenham home and away, Man Utd home and away, Chelsea home and away, Arsenal away, Leicester at home, why is that davew  ?

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Projection based on season so far... 28 pts
Based on form over last 11 games... 34 pts
Based on last 6 games... 38 pts

So yes mid-twenties (ie 24-26 pts) is very pessimistic. It assumes that we haven't improved at all since the start of the season, and that we've actually got slightly worse. In other words, it assumes Anderson, Tosin, Areola, Anguissa, Lookman et al haven't improved us. Which to me seems absurd but hey ho

Arthur

Quote from: fulhamben on December 27, 2020, 06:42:29 PM
do points really matter? You either stay up or you don't.

But seeing as we don't know what the table will look like at the end of the season, they clearly do. 35 points may not be enough to keep us up, but it will give us a chance. 25 points and we know we've no chance.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2020, 07:08:44 PM
You have left out Tottenham home and away, Man Utd home and away, Chelsea home and away, Arsenal away, Leicester at home, why is that davew  ?
I don´t see us getting any points from any of those games, pessimistic I know, but just my view!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on December 27, 2020, 07:21:27 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2020, 07:08:44 PM
I don´t see us getting any points from any of those games, pessimistic I know, but just my view!

Why not, there is only 11 of them, they are not supermen, we have to get amongst them and in their faces, break up play and unsettle their rhythm and at the same time keep our shape our depth and our balance.
We have already shown we can do it against these teams, we just have to do it again. It is called Competing, it is called Application, it is called talking your opponent out of the game, it is called winning your own battles, it is called being a players player, it is called preparation, organisation and passion, then the adrenaline will take you that extra mile.

Never forget your Roots.

LC

Interesting to read the comments and the stats. It looks like everyone thinks we're going to be in and around 30-36 points, this will mean regulation. 36-38 and we stand a chance if other terms underperform. If we had a striker then we probably would have won the last 4 games rather than draw them- that would have been an extra 8 points and I'm sure that would have changed the mentality here. Striker absolutely needed in January

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on December 27, 2020, 07:11:33 PM
Projection based on season so far... 28 pts
Based on form over last 11 games... 34 pts
Based on last 6 games... 38 pts

So yes mid-twenties (ie 24-26 pts) is very pessimistic. It assumes that we haven't improved at all since the start of the season, and that we've actually got slightly worse. In other words, it assumes Anderson, Tosin, Areola, Anguissa, Lookman et al haven't improved us. Which to me seems absurd but hey ho
we have got slightly worse in results wise. first 5 1 point, second 5 6 points last 5 4 points. where as burnely have picked up 8 points in their last 5.

rebel

As long as the points total gets us to 8th place or higher, I'm happy. Are we good enough? yes, can we do better? yes, are we making the right decisions on the pitch? some of the time.   

Whitesideup

Quote from: davew on December 27, 2020, 11:52:21 AM
Really quite depressing looking at the remaining fixtures, in particular the fact that we will have to play Burnley, WBA and Brighton all away. Even though we are playing better except the area that wins matches, I really can´t see us ending up with more than 23 points and that is being optimistic. Interesting to read what you guys think and in particular details of where you think we might get some more points the rest of the season?
Well Dave, if it cheers you up at all, home or away should not really make much difference. I believe the stats are 38% home wins and 39% of games are away wins.  Continued absence of crowds should only maintain the lack of home advantage.

The last 4 games against two of the generally stronger sides and two of what may be perceived as weaker teams, have yielded 4 points and on balance I think we were worthy of at least that return, and could have had at least 6.  If we averaged a point a game to the end of the season, which that form suggests is highly possible, we end up with 34 points and relegation quite likely. I think this season we need 38 or 39. Can we continue our improvement to make up the difference? In the balance I would say, but we need to get a bit more rub of the green with some key decisions, as we are already in the negative in that respect, and we need to either be more creative or finish the really good chances we have. I think perhaps all sides could make the argument for the latter.

On the negative side, we may cope less well with injuries to key players than other more established premier league sides. Lose more than one of Tosin, Andersen, and Anguissa for any length of time and we could be in trouble. If they stay fit, we have a fighting chance.

Tortuous route to getting there, but I predict 34 to 42 points at the higher end. I believe we can make the top end, but fear the bottom. Let's be positive, afore-mentioned stay fit, we get the rub of the green in a game or two to make up for lost points already, = 41 points and safety with one game to go. 

cottage expat

Quote from: Wingnut on December 27, 2020, 01:07:40 PM
35-40, if we sign a goalscorer who can hit the ground running. If we stick with the squad as is, 25-30.

+ 100%. This is a very important window coming up.

We Are Premier League

I think low 30s will be enough to stay up this season, also think low 30s is where we will end up...going to go down to the wire!

Correction; WBA and She are going down, its all about the third team