West Brom
0-5
Leeds
Man Utd
1-0
Wolves

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Fulham's game against Spurs in doubt after positive COVID-19 tests

Fulham's Premier League match with Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night is in doubt after a number of positive COVID-19 tests at the club, Peter Rutzler can reveal.

The Athletic understands that after a number of people at Fulham tested positive, the fixture at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium could be under threat.

The Premier League confirmed today that they had recorded the highest number of positive cases since the pandemic began — 18 in total — with at least three clubs reporting cases.

Has COVID-19 impacted Fulham before?
Yes. Fulham head coach Scott Parker missed the club's last match at home to Southampton after a member of his household tested positive.

He then went into self-isolation for 10 days and returned to training at Motspur Park on Monday.

What is the latest on COVID-19 and the Premier League?
On Tuesday, the Premier League made the decision for its clubs to return to twice-weekly COVID-19 testing because of the increased number of positive tests.

The latest round of testing between December 21-27 resulted in 18 positive COVID-19 tests among players and staff, with a total of 1,479 players people tested. The 18 people who have tested positive are all self-isolating in line with government guidelines.

The 18 positive tests is the highest number of positive COVID results reported by the Premier League publicly since weekly testing started.

Has this happened before?
Yes. Tottenham's match against Fulham would be the third Premier League fixture to be postponed because of a COVID-19 outbreak this season.

Two other matches have been postponed this season due to COVID-19 outbreaks at Newcastle United and Manchester City respectively.

Manchester City reported four positive COVID-19 tests among players and staff on December 25 and another three on December 29, forcing the postponement of their match against Everton at Goodison Park. The Athletic understands the three people who returned positive tests are first-team players.

The 2019-20 season was halted for over three months because of the pandemic. The league was suspended in March until 4 April, was then extended to mid-June. The season resumed with two matches on 17 June, with Liverpool eventually winning the title in July.

https://theathletic.com/news/fulham-tottenham-coronavirus-cases-latest/5AgGHiSdSfVj

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham

Fulham boss Scott Parker did not take charge of his team's goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing after someone in his household tested positive for Covid-19

Fulham's Premier League match at Tottenham on Wednesday is in doubt because of new coronavirus cases at the west London club.

The fixture is due to kick-off at 18:00 GMT at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

On Tuesday the latest round of Premier League coronavirus testing found 18 people had the virus - the highest recorded in the testing programme.

Sheffield United have confirmed they had "numerous positive tests" in the latest round of testing.

On Monday, Manchester City's Premier League match at Everton was postponed four hours before kick-off at Goodison Park because of an outbreak of coronavirus at the club.

Everton said they would request "full disclosure" of the information City provided to the Premier League that led to the postponement.

Newcastle United's match at Aston Villa, scheduled for 4 December, was postponed following a "significant increase" in cases at the Magpies' training ground.

Fulham boss Scott Parker did not take charge of his team's goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day after someone in his household tested positive for Covid-19. Parker was due to return to the dugout at Tottenham.

In the EFL, coronavirus outbreaks at clubs saw seven of Tuesday's 12 scheduled League One games postponed.

In League Two, Morecambe's games - at Bolton Wanderers and Bradford - have been postponed because of a coronavirus outbreak at the Mazuma Stadium.

In the Championship, Rotherham boss Paul Warne claimed fears of a points deduction stopped his "obliterated" Millers calling off Tuesday's derby with Barnsley.

Rotherham have not played since 16 December as Covid-19 cases caused games against Derby and Middlesbrough to be postponed.

After an isolation period, Warne said another player has now shown symptoms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55420342

WhiteJC

Coronavirus: 18 positives in latest Premier League Covid-19 testing

A total of 1,479 players and club staff members were tested between December 21-27; Tottenham vs Fulham on Wednesday in doubt after west Londoners record positive tests; West Brom boss Sam Allardyce has revealed his club had a positive coronavirus test this week and has called for a break

The Premier League has confirmed 18 positive coronavirus tests among players and staff in its latest round of testing - the highest figure of the season so far.

A total of 1,479 players and club staff members were tested between December 21-27; the 18 people who have tested positive are self-isolating.

Hours after the Premier League released the latest figures, it emerged that Fulham's game at Tottenham on Wednesday evening is in doubt after a number of coronavirus cases were recorded by the west London side.

Fulham are now in talks with the Premier League, whose board must approve any postponements.

Scott Parker - who missed Fulham's previous game due to a member of his household testing positive - said there were no issues with his squad's fitness on Tuesday ahead of their game on Wednesday.

However, the Fulham boss's press conference was held before the latest testing results were confirmed.

If the fixture at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is called off, it will become the third Premier League game to be cancelled because of coronavirus this season.

Manchester City's trip to Everton on Monday was postponed hours before kick-off due to multiple positive cases within the City camp, while Aston Villa vs Newcastle was called off earlier this month after the Magpies were hit by the virus.

Allardyce: Right thing is to have a circuit break
West Brom boss Sam Allardyce has revealed his club had a positive coronavirus test this week and has called for a break in Premier League action.

After the 5-0 home loss to Leeds, former England boss Allardyce said: "Everyone's safety is more important than anything else.

"When I listen to the news the variant virus transmits quicker than the original virus [so] we can only do the right thing which is have a circuit break.

"I am 66 years old and the last thing I want to do is catch Covid. I'm very concerned for myself and football in general. If that's what needs to be done we need to do it.

"We had one positive this week and it seems to be creeping around no matter how hard we try."

Sheffield United confirm 'number of positive tests'
Sheffield United confirmed they had recorded a number of positive coronavirus tests after their latest round of testing.

Due to medical confidentiality, the club will not be revealing the names of those who have been affected.

The individuals who have tested positive have now entered into a period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and Government guidelines.

Blades boss Chris Wilder revealed ahead of their evening kick-off at Burnley that the club had seen "a couple" of players and "four or five backroom staff" test positive. Wilder's starting line-up was unaffected, with just one change from the previous match, Oliver Burke dropping to the bench, but he was only able to name seven of a possible nine substitutes.

Wilder said neither he nor the club were looking to have the game delayed.

"It's not an ideal situation but I don't think we're a club of one. It (the virus) is picking up and it's running high at football clubs," he said.

"We just notified the relevant authorities that we've had a situation at the football club. But I want to play football. That's how it is, we're not looking to get anything canned. We did the right thing as far as our responsibility to the Premier League and notified them regarding the players that are ill."

Man City, Arsenal affected
On Christmas Day, Manchester City announced that Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker had tested positive for coronavirus, along with two members of club staff.

After further positive results were received on Monday, leading to the postponement of their match at Everton, the club closed their first-team training ground which is undergoing a deep clean.

Arsenal's Brazilian centre-back Gabriel has also tested positive and is isolating Government protocols. He had already been isolating after being identified as a close contact with someone who had tested positive.

Premier League postponements - what league guidance says
The Premier League board took medical advice into consideration when making the decision to postpone City's game against Everton.

Decisions to rearrange games are only in "exceptional" circumstances and judged on "case-by-case basis", says the Premier League, which maintains its medical protocols are robust.

Guidance issued to clubs in the Premier League Handbook 2020/21 is that "permission will not be granted to postpone a League match where the applicant club has 14 or more players listed on its squad list available".

The final decision is always made by the Premier League Board.

Previous Premier League test results
    Round 1: 31 Aug-6 Sep - 1,605 tested, with three testing positive.
    Round 2: 7-13 Sep - 2,131 tested, with four testing positive.
    Round 3: 14-20 Sep - 1,574 tested, with three testing positive.
    Round 4: 21-27 Sep - 1,595 tested, with 10 testing positive.
    Round 5: 28 Sep-4 Oct - 1,587 tested, with nine testing positive.
    Round 6: 5-11 Oct - 1,128 tested, with five testing positive.
    Round 7: 12-18 Oct - 1,575 tested, with eight testing positive.
    Round 8: 19-25 Oct - 1,609 tested, with two testing positive.
    Round 9: 26 Oct-1 Nov - 1,446 tested, with four testing positive.
    Round 10: 2-8 Nov - 1,646 tested, with four testing positive.
    Round 11: 9-15 Nov - 1,207 tested, with 16 testing positive.
    Round 12: 16-22 Nov - 1,530 tested, with eight testing positive.
    Round 13: 23-29 Nov - 1,381 tested, with 10 testing positive.
    Round 14: 30 Nov-6 Dec - 1,483 tested with 14 testing positive.
    Round 15: 7-13 Dec - 1,549 tested with six testing positive.
    Round 16: 14-20 Dec - 1,569 tested with seven testing positive.
    Round 17: 21-27 Dec - 1,479 tested with 18 testing positive.

EFL postponements
The EFL confirmed on Tuesday morning that the total number of games affected so far by Covid-19 related issues was 44 - one in the Carabao Cup and 43 in the Championship, League One and League Two.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12174410/coronavirus-18-positives-in-latest-premier-league-covid-19-testing

WhiteJC

Mourinho provides fitness update on Bale, Vinicius and Moura ahead of Fulham game

Jose Mourinho has provided fitness updates for a trio of attackers ahead of Tottenham's London derby clash against Fulham tomorrow.

The Spurs head coach revealed that Gareth Bale was not suffering from a serious injury but could be out for a few weeks.

He also added that he doubted whether Lucas Moura or Carlos Vinicius would be fit enough to face Fulham on Wednesday.

All three of these players missed the recent trip to Molineux to face Wolves at the weekend, with Spurs only managing to secure a point from the encounter.

In terms of attackers, this leaves Mourinho with the likes of Harry Kane, Heung-min Son, Steven Bergwijn, Erik Lamela, and Jack Clarke to choose from.

Tottenham are in desperate need of a win against Scott Parker's side this week as they are currently without one in four Premier League games, picking up just two points in that time.

On the fitness of Bale, Moura, and Vinicius, Mourinho said (Football London): "No I don't expect him [Bale] to be fit and also I have my doubts that Lucas and Vinicius can be fit for Fulham."

On Bale, he added: "I wouldn't say it's serious but I'd say a few weeks."

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/mourinho-provides-fitness-update-on-bale-vinicius-and-moura-ahead-of-fulham-game/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker WILL be back in the dugout for Fulham's clash at Tottenham on Wednesday following completion of 10-day self-isolation after household member had Covid

Scott Parker will be back in the dugout for Fulham's clash with Tottenham
    A member of his household tested positive for Covid, which saw him self-isolate
    The 40-year-old missed the goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day
    Parker has returned two negative tests and completed a 10-day isolation period

Scott Parker is pleased to be able to return to the dugout for Fulham's match at Tottenham in the Premier League on Wednesday.

The 40-year-old missed the goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19.

He returned a negative test last week but continued to self-isolate in accordance with the Government guidelines and, after another negative test at the weekend, can return for the clash at his old club Spurs.

Scott Parker will be back in the dugout on Wednesday after completion of 10-day self-isolation

Parker said: 'I am back in. Obviously I had to self-isolate for 10 days so I've done that and I got a negative result again two days ago, so I'm back in with the team.

'I am pleased about that, it has been a difficult time but I'm pleased to be back and preparing for what is a big game on Wednesday against Spurs.'

Without their manager on the touchline, the Whites extended their unbeaten run to four games with a stalemate against the Saints.

It was far from a perfect situation, but measures had been put in place to cope with the scenario and Parker will return in time to face someone he worked under 15 years ago.

Jose Mourinho was his manager at Chelsea and actually sold the midfielder to Newcastle, but there is certainly no ill-feeling between the pair.

Matt Wells (pictured) took charge of the team on Boxing Day along with No 2 Stuart Gray

I spent a short time with Jose and he was a fantastic coach,' Parker added.

'I see Jose like I see every other manager I am up against or my team are up against.

'The most important thing is that us as a team can go to Spurs tomorrow and try to cause them problems and put a stamp on the game. Me trying to get back at Jose? No, not at all.'

Fulham have not lost since December 5 at Manchester City but are also yet to win during the month after a string of draws.

It means that despite encouraging recent results against Liverpool and Southampton, the Craven Cottage outfit remain in the bottom three following a poor start to life back in the top flight.

Parker said: 'There is no hiding, we want to try and turn some of these draws into wins but the way we are playing suggests we can definitely do that.

'Hopefully that is the next step. We took a massive leap from where we were and we have improved drastically.

'But like anything with me, I always want to get better and the team wants to get better, so can we now get some of these draws into wins?

'In this league and where we are, you have to jump quick. You don't have time. As quickly as you improve something else, you then need to move onto the next thing.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9095741/Scott-Parker-returns-dugout-Fulham-vs-Spurs-household-members-positive-test.html

WhiteJC

Premier League records season-high number of positive covid tests

The Premier League has seen its highest number of positive coronavirus tests in the recent round of testing with Man City's game at Everton having to be postponed just hours before kick-off

The Premier League has returned its highest number of positive coronavirus tests of the season, with 18 new cases.

Between December 21 and 27, 1,479 players and club staff were tested and those 18 individuals who have the virus will now self-isolate for a period of 10 days.

A number of those cases are at Manchester City after an outbreak there saw their game with Everton called off at four hours' notice on Monday.

The previous highest number of cases this season was 16, during the week of November 9 to 15.

A Premier League statement read: "The Premier League can today confirm that between Monday 21 December and Sunday 27 December, 1,479 players and Club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, there were 18 new positive tests.

"Players or club staff who have tested positive will self-isolate for a period of 10 days.

"The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency. No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the League and results will be made public after each round of testing."

City's trip to Goodison Park was the second Premier League game of the season to be called off due to Covid-19 after Newcastle's game with Aston Villa was also wiped out last month.

City will begin retesting their squad on Tuesday in the hope they have acted quickly enough to prevent a widespread outbreak of the disease.

They closed their training complex on Monday after reporting "a number of positive cases", three days after Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus tested positive and were forced to isolate.

The spike in cases, an increase of 11 from the previous week's testing, will cause concern about the prospect of more disruption across English football.

Eight games across the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two on Tuesday have been wiped out because of the virus, while Rotherham boss Paul Warne said his side are only playing their match with Barnsley to avoid a possible points deduction by the EFL.

Rochdale are one of the clubs in League One whose next two games have been postponed and their club doctor Wes Tensel suggests it is time for the Football League to be suspended.

He told BBC 5 Live: "The spread and the numbers are rising and we have Tier 4 places where people cannot travel but we have players coming in and taking things back to their family, it is probably not the wisest thing at the moment.

"As well as a team doctor I am a GP so I am seeing both sides, so it seems there is a bigger picture going on.

"Why should football go on when other industries can't and the disease is spreading?"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-records-season-high-23234800

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: Fulham boss to return to dugout for Tottenham game after period of self-isolation

Scott Parker missed the club's stalemate with Southampton on Boxing Day, with Matt Wells and Stuart Gray in temporary charge; Fulham boss refuses to be drawn on rising coronavirus cases in Premier League and insists he feels safe under current protocols

Scott Parker will make his return to the Fulham dugout for Wednesday's Premier League match at Tottenham after a period of self-isolation.

The 40-year-old was absent for Fulham's goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19.

He returned a negative test last week but continued to self-isolate in accordance with government guidelines. However after another negative test at the weekend, he is free to take charge for the trip to Tottenham.

"I had to self-isolate for 10 days. I have done that and got a negative result again two days ago, so I'm back in with the team," Parker said.

"It's a difficult time obviously in this current climate, but I'm pleased to be back now and preparing for what is a big game on Wednesday against Spurs."

Parker believes the team - led by coaches Matt Wells and Stuart Gray against Southampton - coped well in his absence but that virtual communication is no substitute for working closely with the players.

The Fulham head coach did however refuse to be drawn on what could happen moving forward, after Premier League clubs recorded a record-high 18 positive coronavirus test results in the latest round of testing.

There are concerns ranging from safety to fixture congestion if postponements become more commonplace, with Monday's match between Everton and Manchester City the second league fixture to be called off this season.

"We had prepared and we had planned for the scenario so we had everything in place to fall on," Parker said about his period in self-isolation.

"In this current climate, we are living in unpredictable times. We knew what measures we needed to take and they worked very well.

"I think we have all come to realise, and learn, that looking too far ahead or working out whether something is going to happen or not [is difficult]. Normally things change on a daily or weekly basis.

"The Premier League and us as a football club have things in place. We have great protocols - it is a very safe environment. I don't feel in any way on edge or nervous."

Parker: I'm looking forward to facing Jose
Scott Parker's return to the dugout will see him test his managerial mettle against Jose Mourinho, who was his boss at Chelsea in 2004-05 and remains a man, Parker feels, with an undeniable aura.

The Fulham boss faces the 57-year-old as a manager for the first time and while respect remains high between the duo, the Craven Cottage chief will not be overawed.

He said: "It only felt like yesterday when I was a player under Jose and now I'll stand in the technical area with him, albeit a few years under him in terms of being in this job, so his experience is far superior.

"It is an occasion I am relishing and looking forward to and I can't wait to meet up with him again and get my team to pit their wits against a very good opposition."

And he added: "He had charisma about him which we all see now. He came into Chelsea and brought new ideas and certainly they were ideas that probably a lot of us in that squad had never seen.

"His training methods, his organisation and he himself brings a big personality and charisma, so that is exactly how I see him."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/12174810/scott-parker-fulham-boss-to-return-to-dugout-for-tottenham-game-after-period-of-self-isolation

WhiteJC

Fit-again Tete in Fulham squad for Tottenham game

Kenny Tete has been added to the Fulham squad for the first time in three months as his side prepares to face Tottenham.

The right-back limped out of the 3-0 home defeat by Aston Villa at the end of September and needed specialist treatment on a torn calf.

However, the player who cost the Whites around £2m from Olympique Lyonnais in the transfer window has recovered, and after his wife also gave birth, Tete is back in the frame to take on Spurs.

Boss Scott Parker said: "Kenny will be in the squad for this game.

"He's trained very well. He's short of match minutes, but he's done an awful lot of work.

"His numbers every week (have been good)...we've put him under real stress on match-like and physical work, and he's come through with flying colours."

Chances are Ola Aina will hang on to a spot on the right of defence, with the head coach pronouncing a clean bill of health for everyone else – albeit a weary squad.

Parker added: "There's wear and tear of course, and some tired bodies, but no real issues. It's a balancing act."

Parker paid tribute to a Fulham side unbeaten in four, and work done in keeping opposition to just two goals in that time – both penalties – and one of those a debatable award at Newcastle.

He said: "Earlier in the season we had to score two or three to win a game – and Fulham were never going to do that.

"Now over the last six or seven games we're a real threat, and we'll go to Tottenham with that in mind."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fit-again-tete-in-fulham-squad-for-tottenham-game

WhiteJC

Ola Aina enjoying centre-back role

Nigerian defender Ola Aina says he is "really enjoying" playing as a centre-back for Premier League club Fulham.

The versatile 24-year-old, who is on loan at Craven Cottage from Italian club Torino, has played on the right-side of a back three in recent matches, alongside Joachim Andersen and Tosin Adarabioyo.

"Normally I would be playing a bit wider, a bit further up the pitch, but I've always said that I'll put a shift in wherever I'm placed," Aina told his club's official website.

"I'm in a back three at the minute and I'm really enjoying it, I feel really comfortable there."

Fulham after a poor start to the season, have looked far more competitive in recent weeks and their shift in defence has been a major factor.

A draw with Southampton this past weekend means the Cottagers are four unbeaten and have not conceded a goal from open play in their last 445 minutes of football.

"We all know how it was at the beginning of the season, so from that point to now, it just shows the hard work that we're putting in, as well as the togetherness that we have," Aina explained.

"But I don't think it's only the backline you know, it goes throughout the team, it starts from the top.

"If it didn't start at the top, then the opposition would get more chances on our goal, so the whole team has done well to get us these clean sheets."

Fulham will hope to continue their good form when they face Tottenham Hotspur away from home in a London derby on Wednesday evening.

https://africanfootball.com//news/783536/Ola-Aina-enjoying-centre-back-role

WhiteJC

Pre-Spurs Press Conference

Scott Parker praised the protocols implemented by the Club in his absence, but was delighted to return to Motspur Park this week.

After a member of his family tested positive for Covid-19, Fulham's Head Coach had to lead the team from home against Southampton, but he will be back in the dugout for Wednesday's trip to Tottenham Hotspur.

"I'm back in," he confirmed in his pre-match press conference. "I had to self-isolate for 10 days so I did that, got a negative result again two days ago, so I'm back in with the team and I'm pleased about that.

"Just being around the place, bringing personality, seeing people in the flesh, is always much better.

"You have a much better understanding and someone in my position sees things much clearer, but we'd prepared and planned for the scenario that happened, so we had everything in place to fall on.

"This current climate is unpredictable, so we knew what measures we needed to take and they worked very, very well, with Zoom and being in constant dialogue with the team.

"It worked very well, the best it could. Of course it's not ideal, but we're not living in an ideal world."

We head to North London preparing to face a Spurs side that has taken just two points from a possible 12 recently.

But when asked if now was a good time to face Jose Mourinho's men, Parker replied: "It's not just Tottenham, any team who are on a little bit of a dip or whose results have not gone too well, it can work both ways.

"It can be that you're playing against a bit of a wounded animal in a sense of they need a result and you need to be very alert and realise that, and at the same time can you add that little bit of pressure, can we make it uncomfortable at times in the game.

"So I think it works both ways really, I think we need to have an eye on both sides of it. We understand we're playing against an exceptionally good team.

"I was there for a short time as an Under-18s coach, and everything about the football club is top class in terms of training facilities, the squad they've got, and we need to be fully aware of that, but also understanding that it might be an opportunity for us to get something."

Parker played 63 times for Tottenham across two seasons prior to joining Fulham, so it's a fixture he's relishing.

"I am looking forward to going back there," he said. "I spent a couple of years at Spurs as a player which I thoroughly enjoyed, I had a brilliant rapport with the fans.

"Then I obviously went back there developing the younger players, so I'm looking forward to going back as a Manager of a team now.

"I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces who I spent a lot of time with."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/december/Pre-Spurs-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Fulham's clash with Tottenham 'in doubt following number of positive Covid tests at Craven Cottage'... just days after Manchester City's clash with Everton was postponed due to outbreak within Pep Guardiola's squad

Fulham's visit to Tottenham on Wednesday is now in doubt, reports have claimed
    There has reportedly been a number of positive Covid cases at Fulham this week
    It comes just a few days after Manchester City's clash with Everton was called off
    Football has been plunged into chaos with nine games postponed on Tuesday
    There have been calls to suspend the season amid soaring cases of Covid

Fulham's visit to Tottenham on Wednesday could be postponed following a number of positive Covid-19 tests at the Cottagers, according to reports.

According to The Athletic, a number of people associated with Fulham have tested positive for the virus, which has placed major doubt on whether the Premier League encounter, which is due to kick-off at 6pm on Wednesday evening, will go ahead.

Fulham boss Scott Parker will return to the dugout for the game should it get given the green light, following the completion a 10-day self-isolation 

Fulham's trip to face Spurs is in doubt after a number of positive Covid tests at the club

A number of people at the club have reportedly tested positive for coronavirus

The 40-year-old returned a negative test last week but continued to self-isolate in accordance with the Government guidelines before returning another negative test at the weekend.

On his return, Parker revealed he was happy to return but could now be made to wait should the game be postponed.

Parker said: 'I am back in. Obviously I had to self-isolate for 10 days so I've done that and I got a negative result again two days ago, so I'm back in with the team.

'I am pleased about that, it has been a difficult time but I'm pleased to be back and preparing for what is a big game on Wednesday against Spurs.'

The news comes hours after the Premier League confirmed that there are 18 new positive Covid-19 tests among players and staff, the highest weekly total since Project Restart.

Should the game go ahead, Scott Parker will return to the Fulham dugout against Spurs

Tottenham are set to host the Cottagers in their final Premier League game of 2020 this week

The latest round of testing saw 1,479 players and staff tested, with 18 positive - a sharp increase on last week's total. On Monday, Manchester City's trip to Everton at Goodison Park was postponed due to an outbreak in City's squad over the Christmas period. 

In the top four divisions, nine matches on Tuesday have been postponed due to outbreaks of the virus. Morecambe, who are due to play Chelsea in the third round of the FA Cup, Doncaster Rovers and Rochdale have all seen multiple matches postponed due to the spread of the virus. 

However, while Sheffield United confirmed they registered a number of positive tests on Tuesday, their game against Burnley at Turf Moor went ahead as planned.

Blades manager Chris Wilder was only able to name seven subs as a result of injuries and positive tests.

It is unclear as to the number of positive cases at Bramall Lane and the club said they would not be revealing the identity of those who tested positive due to confidentiality reasons.   

A club statement read: 'Sheffield United can confirm the club recorded a number of positive coronavirus tests after the latest round of testing.

'Due to medical confidentiality the club will not be revealing the names of those who have been affected.

Sheffield United's game against Burnley went ahead after multiple positive Covid tests

'The individuals who have tested positive have now entered into a period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and Government guidelines.

'Earlier today, the Premier League confirmed 18 positive coronavirus tests - the highest figure of the season so far.

'Everyone at Sheffield United would like to extend our best wishes to our colleagues and wish them a speedy recovery.'

Premier League rules state that matches should go ahead if a club has 14 available players, including a goalkeeper, although decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis and dependant on circumstances — particularly in relation to the pandemic.   

Sheffield United's statement arrived soon after Southampton confirmed their manager Ralph Hasenhuttl would not be in the dugout for their meeting with West Ham.

The Saints host the Hammers at St Mary's on Tuesday but Hasenhuttl will be unable to take charge at the ground after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19.

The Saints boss is set to manage the game from home via a video and audio link.

Ralph Hasenhuttl will not be present at St Mary's when his side take on West Ham on Tuesday

The outbreak at Ipswich last week prompted club physio Matt Byard to urge authorities to consider a 'circuit breaker' postponement to halt the spread.

Manager Paul Lambert tested positive for Covid-19 along with five players. General manager Lee O'Neill also tested positive.

Byard said: 'I know the EFL are looking at bringing in extra measures, with maybe more testing for example. I have always supported routine testing to secure a return to playing programme.

'Personally, with so many clubs affected by this presently and this new strain development, football may benefit from a 'circuit breaker' before a return to playing securely.'

Despite rising numbers of cases, Everton were furious at the decision to call off their game with City just hours before they were due to kick-off. Everton wanted to play and had started pre-match preparations at the Hilton Hotel in Liverpool, their usual base.

Everton will now ask the Premier League for full disclosure on how they arrived at the decision to get transparency on the reasons behind it.

Premier League rules state that matches should go ahead if a club has 14 available players, including a goalkeeper, although decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis and dependant on circumstances — particularly in relation to the pandemic.

The precautionary measure is understood to have taken into consideration that some of those players who tested negative on Monday may return different results on Wednesday.

City could not test twice, given the tight turnaround following Boxing Day's fixture, and sources maintained that all involved at Goodison Park would have been exposed to unnecessary risk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9096387/Fulhams-clash-Tottenham-doubt-following-number-positive-Covid-tests-club.html

WhiteJC

Fulham covid outbreak puts Tottenham game in doubt

Fulham's trip to Tottenham tomorrow night could be postponed after the club recorded a number of positive tests for coronavirus, according to the Athletic.

The Premier League reported some eighteen positive tests for coronavirus this afternoon – the highest amount of positives in their testing regime since the pandemic began – and several Fulham staff have apparently tested positive for the virus. Fulham manager Scott Parker only returned to regular duties yesterday having completed a ten day period of self-isolation after a member of his household had tested positive for coronavirus.

If tomorrow night's fixture at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is postponed, it would be the third game this season to be disrupted by the pandemic. Newcastle saw their match at Aston Villa earlier in December postponed as they battled to contain an outbreak at their training facility that Steve Bruce's side are still dealing with now, while Manchester City's trip to Everton yesterday was called off hours before kick off after a second outbreak within the City squad.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/12/fulham-covid-outbreak-puts-tottenham-game-in-doubt/

WhiteJC

Premier League clubs discuss two-week 'cooling off' break amid surge in Covid-19 cases

Top-flight chairmen have held discussions over a fortnight-long hiatus in January after Everton's clash with Manchester City was postponed and 18 new cases were recorded across the division

Premier League clubs have reportedly held talks over a two-week 'cooling off' break in January amid mounting fears over surging coronavirus cases.

Numerous positive Covid-19 cases at Manchester City led to the postponement of their clash with Everton on Monday.

This prompted informal discussions between top-flight chairmen and there is shared concern that more matches will be called off

Sheffield United also registered a number of fresh cases but confirmed Tuesday evening's match with Burnley will go ahead.

Elsewhere, Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl will not be on the sideline for the visit of West Ham after a member of his household bubble returned a positive test.

This comes after Aston Villa versus Newcastle was postponed at the start of December following an outbreak at the latter.

The Daily Telegraph claims some chairmen are resigned to a mid-season break being necessary, while the government review of coronavirus restrictions on Wednesday will shape discussions going forward.

A key cause for concern for Premier League sides are the upcoming FA Cup third-round fixtures, which are scheduled to take place in early January.

The lower leagues have already seen multiple postponed matches, while all 64 clubs involved will have their players tested before the cup ties.

Elsewhere, the latest round of Premier League testing found 18 people with the virus - the highest figure in a single round of testing since it began in August.

A club doctor has also advised against matches continuing given the current 'R' rate and nine EFL matches were recently called off.

In the meantime, Manchester City are awaiting the results of a fresh round of testing to find out whether they can face Chelsea on Sunday and Manchester United in the Carabao Cup next Wednesday.

Organisers are facing an uphill battle to reschedule fixtures and the backlog would worsen if there was a two-week break in January.

The upcoming Euros are also due to start on 11 June, meaning scope to extend club competitions into the summer is very limited.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-discuss-two-23236051

WhiteJC

Scott Parker tests negative for Covid-19 but Fulham's game could be in doubt

Fulham have recorded a number of positive tests in the club's latest round of Covid-19 testing, the PA news agency understands.

The Whites were set to visit Tottenham on Wednesday and while preparations for that fixture continue, it will be dependent on the results of the players and staff at Craven Cottage who are yet to receive their results.

In this week's round of testing before the midweek fixtures, the PA news agency understands Fulham recorded a number of positive tests to cast doubt over their London derby with Spurs.

Manager Scott Parker revealed in his press conference on Tuesday he had tested negative on Sunday to ensure he was able to return to the training ground at the start of this week after a period of self-isolation.

The 40-year-old missed the goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day after a member of his household tested positive for coronavirus.

Yet with Fulham understood to have a number of tests returning positives results on Tuesday afternoon, the match with Tottenham could now join Manchester City and Everton's fixture, which had been due to take place on Monday, in being postponed.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/scott-parker-tests-negative-for-covid-19-but-fulhams-game-could-be-in-doubt-1609269352000

WhiteJC

Fulham lining up ideal swoop for potential diamond in the rough

Fulham have been in decent form in recent weeks.

The Cottagers endured a difficult start to the campaign and have spent the majority of the season in the relegation zone.

But they have lost just once in their last six games and have beaten Leicester City and drawn with Liverpool, while going down 2-0 to Manchester City.

Scott Parker's men have drawn all of their last four games and are now just two points off the safety of 17th place.

They will play Parker's old side, Tottenham Hotspur, on Wednesday, with the opportunity to potentially move out of the drop zone.

And it seems they are already eyeing potential recruits ahead of the January transfer window.

The Daily Telegraph reports that they are currently scouting Grimsby Town centre-back Mattie Pollock ahead of a potential swoop.

Fulham have scouted the 19-year-old, as have fellow strugglers West Bromwich Albion, who has already made 49 appearances for the club in League Two.

Grimsby are struggling and are currently 22nd in the table; they have 19 points from 20 games and are five points ahead of rock-bottom Stevenage and three ahead of 23rd Southend United. Stevenage have two games in hand on them, while Southend have one.

Pollock can play at centre-back and in central midfield and is perhaps their best young hope; he made his debut in 2018, when he was just 17.

Grimsby have the option to extend his contract by another year and they are likely to trigger that as they look to extract the biggest possible fee from any potential buyer.

GIVEMESPORT'S Harry Sherlock says...
This feels like a very low-risk signing for Fulham.

They are not the kind of team that can buy ready-made stars, they instead need to pick up players who can be sold on for bigger fees.

Pollock is only 19 and at Grimsby, he has been given the chance to establish himself in the rough-and-tumble of League Two.

He has grabbed that chance with both hands and it is little surprise that Premier League teams are already checking in.

If Fulham do bring him in, they will have the chance to further polish a potential rough diamond and potentially bank a significant fee as a reward.

https://www.givemesport.com/1632832-fulham-lining-up-ideal-swoop-for-potential-diamond-in-the-rough

WhiteJC

Chris Hughton makes Anthony Knockaert admission ahead of key Nottingham Forest call

Chris Hughton admits it is "important" to have players of Anthony Knockaert's quality at the club if they are to start climbing the Championship table.

Knockaert arrived on loan from Fulham back in October, becoming Hughton's first and only signing since replacing Sabri Lamouchi at the helm.

The winger's loan deal at the City Ground is set to expire next month, however it remains to be seen whether Forest extend the deal, or activate their option to sign the player permanently.

Knockaert was reintroduced to the starting line-up on Tuesday night as Forest picked up a point on the road against Stoke City at the bet365 Stadium.

It was his cross that led to James Chester converting the ball into his own net, as Forest stretched their unbeaten run to four games in the league.

Hughton spoke to FLW's George Harbey in his post-match press conference, and was asked about how important it is to have players of Knockaert's quality on the books for the whole season, as Forest look to start climbing the Championship table.

Hughton said: "It's important to keep our players fit, but also to have players of quality.

"This is a tough division, and probably because of how it is this season without supporters, it's as tough a Championship season as there's been. There are no easy games.

We need a squad of as much quality as possible, and particularly in the areas where we know we've got to improve."

Forest sit 21st in the Championship after their draw in Staffordshire, three points clear of the relegation zone.

The Verdict

Knockaert has been a standout performer at times for Forest since arriving on loan.

There is a feeling that there's still more to come from the winger, who has been guilty of being quite inconsistent at times.

But there can be no denying that he is a hugely talented player who has undeniable quality, and his deliveries into the area against Stoke caused problems.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/chris-hughton-makes-anthony-knockaert-admission-ahead-of-key-january-call/

WhiteJC

Spurs seek to maintain strong record against Fulham

Team news

Gareth Bale (calf) is likely to be sidelined "for a few weeks" says Jose Mourinho, who also has Giovani Lo Celso (thigh) ruled out for Tottenham Hotspur.

Lucas and Carlos Vinicius are also rated doubtful for the visit of Fulham.

Did you know?

Spurs have won 10 of their last 11 Premier League matches against Fulham, with their only defeat in that spell coming at White Hart Lane in March 2013.

Spurs are unbeaten in their last seven PL London derbies (W3 D4), since losing 2-1 at Chelsea in February.

Fulham have drawn each of their last four PL matches, as many as they had recorded in their previous 43 top-flight contests.

The Cottagers haven't lost their final league match in any of the last five calendar years (W4 D1).

Match officials

Referee: Peter Bankes. Assistants: Dan Cook, James Mainwaring. Fourth official: Anthony Taylor. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1951553

WhiteJC

Jean Michael Seri still a top earner despite Premier League exclusion: Fulham 2020/21 salary guide - in pictures

It's been a challenging return to the Premier League for Fulham since the club's immediate promotion from the Championship.

After one season in the second-tier, Scott Parker guided Fulham back to the top flight but the young manager is realising just how tough the top flight is.

However, Fulham appear to have learned from their last, ill-fated Premier League campaign when the club spent around £100 million ($134m) on new players and big wages only to suffer relegation.

This time around, the Cottagers have been much more modest with their recruitment expenditure, spending around €37m ($44m), with €7.7m on loan fees. It is indicative of the reckless spending of 2018/19 that Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Jean Michael Seri - both signed two years ago - are still Fulham's two highest earners, although Anguissa has established himself as a key player. Seri, meanwhile, hasn't played a minute of Premier League football this season and has not been registered in the 25-man squad.

As Fulham continue their fight to stay in the Premier League, the photo gallery above is a salary guide for the entire first team squad. The figures are provided by Spotrac, an online sports team and player contract website.

Some players, including goalkeeper Alphonse Areola and winger Ademola Lookman, are excluded on the basis that Fulham are not covering their entire wages during their loan spells.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, £67,000 ($89,500) per week. PA

Jean Michael Seri, £65,000 per week. Getty images

Kenny Tete, £65,000 per week. Reuters

Tosin Adarabioyo, £60,000 per week. AP

Ivan Cavaleiro, £60,000 per week. Getty Images

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (on loan from Chelsea), £60,000 per week. PA

Aleksandar Mitrovic, £60,000 per week. EPA

Antonee Robinson, £60,000 per week. Reuters

Michael Hector, £50,000 per week. AP

Fabricio Agosto Ramirez, £45,000 per week. Getty Images

Joshua Onomah, £45,000 per week. AFP

Bobby Reid, £45,000 per week. Reuters

Tom Cairney, £40,000 per week. PA

Mario Lemina (on loan from Southampton), £40,000 per week. Reuters

Joe Bryan, £30,000 per week. Getty Images

Tim Ream, £27,000 per week. Reuters

Maxime Le Marchand, £25,000 per week. Reuters

Marek Rodak, £25,000 per week. Reuters

Kevin McDonald, £22,000 per week. Getty Images

Neeskens Kebano, £13,462 per week. Getty Images

Aboubakar Kamara, £12,500 per week. AFP

Harrison Reed, £12,000 per week. AP

Stefan Johansen, £10,000 per week. Getty Images

Denis Odoi, £8,900 per week. Reuters

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/football/jean-michael-seri-still-a-top-earner-despite-premier-league-exclusion-fulham-2020-21-salary-guide-in-pictures-1.1137314#24

WhiteJC

Tottenham v Fulham 'in doubt' as coronavirus cases rise in the Premier League

Manchester City, Everton, Sheffield United and Southampton have all been affected by Covid-19 this week

Fulham were last night in talks with the Premier League over whether their Premier League fixture with Tottenham can go ahead following a Covid-19 outbreak at the west London club.

Spurs are due to host Fulham on Wednesday evening at 6pm but a report in The Athletic detailed how "a number of people" at the club have tested positive putting the fixture in doubt.

Fulham manager Scott Parker missed Fulham's Boxing Day clash with Southampton after he was forced to self-isolate following a member of his household testing positive but the 40-year-old insists he returned a negative result over the weekend in order to return to training on Monday.

The Premier League, Fulham and Tottenham are yet to respond to the claims.

On Monday, Manchester City's match against Everton was postponed after five players tested positive while Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl is isolating after a positive test in his household.

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder also revealed that two players and "four or five staff" had tested positive in their camp but their fixture with Burnley still went ahead on Tuesday night.

The Premier League's latest round of testing, across the period December 21-27 has recorded 18 positive tests – the highest figure since Project Restart in June, and there are considerations to possibly impose a short two-week "circuit breaker" in top-flight and EFL fixtures to help ease the spread of the virus.

A measure that has the backing on West Brom manager Sam Allardyce who was asked for his thoughts on Tuesday night in the wake of their 5-0 defeat to Leeds.

"Everyone's safety is more important than anything else," he said.

"When I listen to the news the variant virus transmits quicker than the original virus [so] we can only do the right thing which is have a circuit break.

"I am 66 years old and the last thing I want to do is catch Covid. I'm very concerned for myself and football in general. If that's what needs to be done we need to do it.

"We had one positive this week and it seems to be creeping around no matter how hard we try."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/tottenham-v-fulham-in-doubt-19537164