Chelsea
1-1
Villa
Everton
P-P
Man City

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur team news: Injury, suspension list vs. Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur return to action on Wednesday with a home match against Fulham aiming to pick up a first Premier League win in five matches.

Jose Mourinho's men have slipped down the table on the back of two draws and two defeats in their last four outings.

This is Tottenham's ninth and final match in a packed December schedule, though Mourinho does at least have near enough a fully-fit squad to choose from.

Here, Sports Mole rounds up Tottenham's latest injury and suspension news ahead of the clash with relegation-battling Fulham.

Gareth Bale
Type of injury: Calf
Possible return date: December 30 (vs. Fulham)

Gareth Bale has struggled to hold down a place in the Tottenham side since returning to the club on loan in the summer, not helped by another niggling injury issue. The Welshman limped off against Stoke City in the EFL Cup last week and subsequently missed the 1-1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Giovani Lo Celso
Type of injury: Hamstring
Possible return date: Unknown

Giovani Lo Celso sustained a hamstring injury against Leicester City on December 20 and has been ruled out of the festive period by Mourinho. A return in the first couple of weeks of January seems most likely for the Argentina international.

TOTTENHAM'S SUSPENSION LIST

Spurs have no players suspended for Wednesday's contest.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/injury-news/injuries-and-suspensions/spurs-injury-suspension-list-vs-fulham_428224.html

WhiteJC

'I'm Really Enjoying It' - Fulham's Aina Opens Up On His New Position As A Center

Torino loanee Ola Aina has revealed that he is enjoying his new role as a central defender for Fulham.

In four of the last five matches contested by the Cottagers in the English Premier League, the Nigeria international has played on the right-hand side of a back three, partnering Tosin Adarabioyo and Joachim Andersen.

Aina's form has been impressive and he has helped Fulham keep clean sheets in two of their last three games.

The former England U19 captain started out his career as a winger before he was converted to a defender by the Chelsea youth team coaches and is comfortable playing as a left-back, right-back, wing-back and center back.

"Normally I would be playing a bit wider, a bit further up the pitch, but I've always said that I'll put a shift in wherever I'm placed,"Aina told Fulham's official webpage.

"I'm in a back three at the minute and I'm really enjoying it, I feel really comfortable there."

Aina will be hoping to continue his good form against Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday as Scott Parker's team aim to get out of the relegation zone.

Igho Kingsley

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38447

WhiteJC

Manager set to return to dugout for Spurs clash after negative COVID test

According to The Evening Standard, Fulham manager Scott Parker is set to return to the dugout for the clash against Tottenham on Wednesday after a second negative test for coronavirus.

Fulham are the next visitors to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for what is a crucial London derby with three important points at stake for both sides.

Even though the Cottagers are sitting in the drop zone, they are unbeaten in their last four games and Jose Mourinho's men can expect a tough test on Wednesday.

The away side will be boosted by the return of Parker, who could not take charge of Fulham's clash against Southampton on Boxing Day after he was forced to isolate due to a member of his household testing positive for COVID-19.

Assistant manager Stuart Gray and first-team coach Matt Wells took the reigns in their 0-0 draw on the south coast.

Parker reportedly already tested negative ahead of the clash against the Saints and having now returned a second negative test, is expected to be given the green light to take charge on Wednesday.

Spurs Web Opinion

Parker will certainly have something to prove on his return to Spurs, having started his coaching career with the Lilywhites. Given Fulham's recent run of form, Mourinho's men cannot afford to take them lightly on Wednesday.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/manager-set-to-return-to-dugout-for-spurs-clash-after-negative-covid-test/

WhiteJC

Fulham January transfer window guide: Parker needs striker to fill misfiring Mitrovic void

Fulham's summer window started with the message that there would be no repeat of the 2018 splurge that saw 12 new signings arrive - but it ended with 11 signings and an entirely new back four.

Having finally got his squad to gel and start performing, the key for Scott Parker is not to disrupt things too much in January.

Few would have imagined that a striker would have been on the club's wish list given Aleksandar Mitrovic's form in the Championship but things have not gone to plan for the Serb back in the Premier League.

Mitrovic has just two league goals this season, having started just one of Fulham's last seven games and his absence has coincided with the up-turn in form.

Parker has options through the middle but none have really done it as an out-and-out centre-forward. If the Cottagers can find that rarest of commodities -  a striker who could settle quickly and bring 10 goals before the end of the season - it would boost their survival hopes.

Aside from investing at the top end of the pitch, Parker may well want to trim some fat out. Jean Michael-Seri returned from loan at the start of the season but was not even named in their 25-man Premier League squad, while they are rather bloated at the back.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-january-transfer-window-guide-parker-mitrovic-b533434.html

WhiteJC

Aina 'enjoying' centre-back role at Fulham as unbeaten run continues

A recent switch in formation has made the Nigeria right-back fall to a deeper role in Scott Parker's team

Ola Aina is comfortable and enjoying the new centre-back role he is playing at Fulham as they remain unbeaten in their last four Premier League games.

The 24-year-old, who primarily plays as a right wing-back, has been moved to the centre of the Cottagers' defence where he partners Anglo-Nigerian centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo and Joachim Andersen in Scott Parker's new formation.

With 12 league games under his belt so far this campaign, Aina – who returned to London on a season-long loan from Torino in September – said he is ready to continue helping Parker's team wherever he is positioned.

"Normally I would be playing a bit wider, a bit further up the pitch, but I've always said that I'll put a shift in wherever I'm placed," Aina told the club website. "I'm in a back three at the minute and I'm really enjoying it.

"I feel really comfortable there."

Despite their fine defensive run, Fulham still find themselves in the relegation zone with 11 points after 15 games, however, the Nigeria star thinks they are improving in every department.

"We all know how it was at the beginning of the season, so from that point to now, it just shows the hard work that we're putting in, as well as the togetherness that we have," he added. "I don't think it's only the backline you know, it goes throughout the team, it starts from the top.

"If it didn't start at the top, then the opposition would get more chances on our goal, so the whole team has done well to get us these clean sheets."

After avoiding defeat in their last four league matches, Aina also expressed his belief that Saturday's goalless draw with Southampton is a decent result for them ahead of their next league outing against Tottenham Hotspur on Tuesday.

They will be targeting their first win in exactly a month, when they defeated Leicester City 2-1.

Aina concluded: "There were a couple of VAR decisions that went in our favour, but it was just one of those afternoons with a lot of buts and ifs, like you said, but it's good to get the clean sheet and build on from that.

"It's big for us to be getting clean sheets, it shows we're working well."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/aina-enjoying-centre-back-role-at-fulham-as-unbeaten-run/lpxb12rb4eif1s2mesay4wlln

WhiteJC

'I don't think they should' – Nottingham Forest weighing up Anthony Knockaert decision: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Nottingham Forest are reviewing Anthony Knockaert's future at the club, as they consider extending the winger's loan deal at the City Ground.

Knockaert joined Forest on loan from Fulham in October, in a deal which is set to expire next month. The club also have an option to buy the winger at the end of his loan spell.

The 29-year-old has made 14 appearances in a Forest shirt, scoring one goal and registering one assist for Chris Hughton's side.

According to The Sun (27/12), Forest are now reviewing Knockaert's situation, deciding whether to extend his loan deal as they look to cut costs.

It is claimed that a couple of players, including Joe Worrall and Joe Lolley, could be sold as Forest look to raise money from elsewhere.

So, would it be worth it? Here, we discuss whether Forest should look to extend Knockaert's loan at the City Ground or not...

Ned Holmes
Personally, I don't think they should.

We haven't seen the best of Knockaert at the City Ground yet, though there have been glimpses of his quality.

Hughton will likely feel he can get the best out of him in the second half of the season but the play-offs are out of reach for Forest now.

The Reds have easily enough quality to survive in the Championship and I have no doubt that they will, so they should be planning ahead now.

Give players like Alex Mighten more playing time, get Brennan Johnson involved and make signings that are investments for the future.

Knockaert goes against that. Time to let him go.

Phil Spencer
Nottingham Forest should definitely be looking to keep Anthony Knockaert.

While cutting costs is clearly important, the club are in no position to be disposing of top quality players.

Chris Hughton needs all the talent that he can get if they're to pull themselves away from the bottom of the table, and Knockaert will be key to helping them do that.

Okay, things haven't gone as well for the 29-year-old as they could have since moving to the City Ground, but everyone knows that he's a top player at this level.

If Hughton can get the best from him then Forest will have a real player on their hands and they'd be foolish not to extend his deal.

Toby Wilding
I don't think they should in all honesty.

We've already seen in the past the impact that financial problems can have on a club, so this just not feel like a risk worth taking for me, given the potential knock-on effect of such issues.

Indeed, it is also worth noting that Knockaert has not exactly made much of an impact for Forest during his time at The City Ground, meaning you do feel as though they ought to be able to cope without him.

As a result, I could understand it is they were to cut Knockaert's loan short, especially given the extra scope that could give them to strengthen their squad in the January transfer window, something which they do still seem keen to do, and which they are going to have to find the funds and budget for from somewhere.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-dont-think-they-should-nottingham-forest-weighing-up-anthony-knockaert-decision-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Reporter comment opens new avenue for Fulham and Nottingham Forest deal

Nottingham Forest being where they are in the Sky Bet Championship table, languishing in 20th place and just two points safe of the drop zone, is perplexing to many.

Yet, they they are and they are there on merit. The results and performances just aren't there for the Reds, even if the players are.

This situation raises much noise on social media and column inches in the sport sections. It is something brought up by this Forest fan.

Knockaert and Worrall – two Forest players in the news

The tweet above, courtesy of Twitter user @BennyMacNFFC, is pretty much on the button about concerns of Joe Worrall being watched by clubs from the Premier League and targetted in the January window.

23-year-old Worrall, a product of Forest's academy set-up, has made 113 appearances for the Reds since making the breakthrough to first-team football at the City Ground. In those games he's scored three goals and created four assists.

This season the young centre-back has made nine appearances and scored one goal in a campaign blighted by a two-month absence between September and the end of November.

Anthony Knockaert, whilst not meeting the approval of the above tweeter, is a player who many Forest fans do see as a creative highlight in the current side.

The Frenchman, who has 72 Premier League games (five goals/seven assists) under his belt, is on loan at Forest from Premier League side Fulham. In his loan spell at Forest, he's featured in 14 games and registered one goal and one assist.
Reporter proposes different possible avenue for Worrall/Knockaert 'deal'

BMcA's tweet (above) tagged in Sun reporter Alan Nixon in the question that was asked. Nixon replied via a quoted retweet:

Nixon's assertion that Worrall is "available at the right price" would tend to indicate that should a Premier League side want him, they can pay to get him.

However, The Sun's Nixon also indicates a different avenue that could be taken involving Worrall and Knockaert. Intriguingly, it is Nixon's final comment of "sometime's clubs just trade" that opens up a different avenue.

Could this be an off-the-cuff comment or an avenue that Fulham might want to explore? Anthony Knockaert is crealy not in their plans and the Cottagers could do with added strength at the back.

https://the72.co.uk/211007/reporter-comment-opens-new-avenue-for-fulham-and-nottingham-forest-deal/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview episode of Tottenham Hotspur vs. Fulham, and helping with this show was Kevin DeVries from the EPL Round Table. He was on to give us the Spurs perspective for this match, while co-host Yannis Tjanetis gave the Fulham perspective.

you can listen to it here...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/12/28/22203579/cottage-talk-preview-tottenham-hotspur-vs-fulham