Friday
Everton
0-1
West Ham
Man Utd
2-1
Villa

WhiteJC

'It's a matter of when, and not if'- Charlton ace weighs up interest from Celtic, Rangers and Fulham: The Verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Alfie Doughty faces an uncertain future.

The Charlton Athletic starlet is out of contract at the end of the season and is attracting the attention of numerous big-name clubs including the likes of Celtic, Rangers and Premier League side Fulham.

But where is the best place for the 21-year-old to continue his development?

The team at FLW have their say...

Toby Wilding

I think I'd be tempted to target Rangers right now if I were him.

While Fulham are facing the prospect of a season-long relegation battle and Celtic's stuttering start to the season has left them playing catch-up, Rangers look set to take full advantage of the struggles of their Glasgow rivals.

As a result, the prospect of winning trophies and competing in European football so early on in his career, must surely be an appealing prospect for Doughty, who can already look to one former Charlton prospect currently enjoying life at Ibrox in Joe Aribo for inspiration.

Indeed, if Doughty is able to make an impact in that push for silverware with Rangers, then you do feel as though that could also open up the prospect of a few more big moves for him in the future, particularly given the big things that are expected in the managerial career of a certain Steven Gerrard who currently occupies the Ibrox dugout.

Sam Rourke

It has to be Celtic.

It's pretty evident just how much the Scottish giants wanted to bring Doughty to the club over the summer, after several rejected transfer bids.

Doughty is a very, very talented player and at the age of just 20, he has the world at his feet and for me, Celtic could offer him that platform to play consistently in the SPFL whilst also offering him the potential opportunity of European football.

The Addicks would of course like to keep hold of their star left-midfielder but I just can't see them being able to fend off the lure of these clubs, especially with his contract expiring at the Valley in the summer.

Doughty has already shown enough quality to suggest he'd fit in comfortably in the SPFL with Celtic, I feel it's now a matter of when, and not if, a deal is sanctioned here.

Alfie Burns

Honestly, I don't think Doughty should be moving anywhere this January.

The lure of Celtic and Rangers is hard to ignore. They are massive, massive clubs and are potentially only behind Man United and Liverpool in stature in terms of the British game.

Fulham also offer a good opportunity in terms of Premier League football.

However, January is a tough month to move in.

Doughty is still a young player and, in my mind, he might be better off sticking around at Charlton until the summer.

He can really assess his options then and make the right decision for his future.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/its-a-matter-of-when-and-not-if-charlton-ace-weighs-up-interest-from-celtic-rangers-and-fulham-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Fulham must seal January deal for Charlton's Alfie Doughty

Fulham are one of the sides being linked with a move for Charlton Athletic winger Alfie Doughty ahead of the January transfer window and Tony Khan must ensure that his side are the ones to sign him.

What's the word?

According to The Athletic, Celtic, Rangers and Fulham are all interested in signing the 21-year-old after his excellent performances with the Addicks in recent seasons.

Following a loan spell with Bromley, the youngster returned to Charlton and was a regular in Lee Bowyer's side for the second half of the season in the Championship; making 29 appearances, in which he contributed two goals and three assists.

Unfortunately, he was unable to save the club from relegation back to League One, but he has impressed in his performances in League One side, contributing one goal and two assists in seven appearances, before he picked up an injury back in October.

The next Gareth Bale?

The youngster has drawn comparisons to Tottenham Hotspur star Gareth Bale because of the way he started his Charlton career as a left-back, before featuring further forward to great effect.

He is also remarkably quick, with the article from The Athletic praising his "relentless pace" and suggesting that his technical ability is improving all the time.

Whilst Doughty might struggle to adapt to the demands of the Premier League right away, he could certainly be an excellent addition to Scott Parker's squad at Fulham in the long-term and will seemingly be available for a cut-price, with his contract with the League One side set to expire at the end of this season.

Therefore, Khan must steal the march on Celtic and Rangers by sealing a transfer swoop for Doughty next month, as he looks to be a hugely exciting prospect and his devastating pace could prove to be a great weapon in Fulham's side in the future.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/fulham-alfie-doughty-charlton-athletic-tony-khan-scott-parker

WhiteJC

Burnley v Fulham

Charlie Taylor suffered a hamstring injury against Sheffield United last time out
TEAM NEWS

Charlie Taylor sustained a hamstring problem against Sheffield United on Tuesday and could be among a lengthy list of Burnley absentees.

Dwight McNeil, Matej Vydra and Jay Rodriguez are also major doubts, while Jack Cork and Johann Berg Gudmundsson are still building up their fitness.

Loanee Mario Lemina is available for Fulham, having been ineligible to face parent club Southampton last time out.

Ivan Cavaleiro could be fit, while Kenny Tete is back in the squad.

The full-back has been out for more than three months with a torn calf and, most recently, due to the birth of his child.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

It is all good news for Burnley at the moment. Off the pitch, the takeover of the club has gone through. On it, they are back to being Burnley - and that is a massive compliment.

I've mentioned before how Fulham are improving too, especially defensively, but I think they will find it extremely difficult against the Clarets.

Prediction: 2-0

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Burnley are unbeaten in the past 30 home meetings in all competitions, winning 25 and drawing five - it's their longest run against a single opponent. They last lost this fixture in April 1951.

Burnley

Burnley have won three of their past five Premier League fixtures, drawing one and losing the other.
    They have taken 10 points out of a possible 12 from their past four home games.
    Prior to the weekend, only Sheffield United have scored fewer Premier League goals than Burnley's nine this season.
    Five of Burnley's last eight league goals have come via set-pieces.
    The Clarets have won just one of their last seven Premier League matches against promoted sides (D3, L3).

Fulham

Fulham have earned four successive league draws. This is their longest unbeaten top-flight run since a five-match streak between February and April 2013.
    Seven of their past eight Premier League goals were scored in the first half.
    The Cottagers have earned four points from their last three away league games, as many as in their previous 13 away matches in the top flight.
    Fulham have only won two of their past 21 Premier League fixtures outside of London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55456854

WhiteJC

Jose Mourinho hits out at 'unprofessional' Premier League for last-minute decision to postpone Fulham game and likened the experience to managing in kids' football as it disrupted Tottenham's week after Covid outbreak in Scott Parker's squad

Spurs boss Jose Mourinho has slammed the 'unprofessional' Premier League
    Tottenham's game against Fulham was postponed after a Covid-19 outbreak
    The game in north London was abandoned just hours before the 6pm kick off
    Mourinho likened the situation to his experiences in Portuguese youth football

Jose Mourinho has branded the late postponement of Tottenham's clash with Fulham 'unprofessional' and likened the Premier League's handling of the situation to his experience managing in kids' football.

The match was called off on Wednesday due to a coronavirus outbreak at Fulham, and Spurs were angered by the timing of the decision and lack of information they received before the announcement that the game was off less than four hours before kick-off.

Mourinho mocked the Premier League's status as the best league in the world in a social media post while his players waited at Spurs' training ground for news.

'I don't want to speak too much about it,' said Mourinho. 'Just to say I felt it was unprofessional but that's the way it is — or that's the way it was.'

Expanding on his comments, Mourinho said: 'When I was coaching the Under 13 and Under 15 teams 30 years ago, or something like that, sometimes we got to the game at 9.30am and the opponent was not there. Or sometimes you arrive in the game in one of the rare Portuguese raining Sundays and you arrive there and the referee didn't report.

Jose Mourinho has branded the Premier League 'unprofessional' ahead of the visit of Leeds

Spurs were due to take on Fulham on Wednesday but the game was postponed due to Covid

'I grew up with these situations and was very frustrated for everyone, especially for the kids who you want to play football and who don't play football, and you only know in the last minutes. The same almost happened to us. Arriving in the stadium and not playing almost happened.'

The lack of clarity as the situation developed was a major issue for Spurs. 'The day before the game, the press was full of 'the game is going to be postponed'. Even foreign players were coming to me saying that in their own countries the news was very clear that the game was going to be postponed. And myself as their boss and Daniel Levy as my boss, we couldn't tell them anything.

'When I say unprofessional, maybe it's not the right word. Of course I am not referring to Fulham, I am referring to the organisation. I don't think it's possible to have a situation like that. I don't think it's possible.'

Spurs will now have an extra game to squeeze into their already packed fixture list.

Mourinho described the fact his side reach the halfway, 19-game mark in the league season without having played every other team once and one side twice as 'not correct at all'.

And Mourinho warned the Premier League against handing Spurs another punishing pile-up like the four games in eight days they faced in September and October.

'We have to refuse to go through it again,' he said. 'It's impossible, inhuman. We cannot accept it at all if any Einstein comes with the idea of us playing four matches in one week. This is the Premier League, a league with big responsibilities in the world.

'The league with, in general terms, the best coaches, with the best clubs, with the best players, with very good referees.

'I think we have to be good in everything and all be professionals.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9104441/Jose-Mourinho-hits-unprofessional-Premier-League-minute-postponement.html

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie issues plea to Nottingham Forest fans following poor run of form

Nottingham Forest loanee Cyrus Christie has urged for fans to stick together following a plethora of criticism aimed at the players.

The Tricky Trees are going through their toughest run in years, as they sit 21st in the Championship with almost half of the season complete.

Despite having high-quality players in the squad such as Joe Lolley, Anthony Knockaert and Lewis Grabban, the Reds just can't hit their stride at all, and have picked up just one win in their last 11 games, which came against fellow strugglers Sheffield Wednesday.

Christie has been an ever-present for Forest this season under both Sabri Lamouchi and Chris Hughton, but like most players this season has received criticism for his performances from a section of the fanbase.

And amid all the negativity stemming from Forest's below-par performances, Christie has urged players and fans to stick together to try and bring the good times back to the City Ground.

"Ultimately the results have been negative. There's a lot of negative talk about the team," Christie told the Nottingham Post.

"It's about sticking together as a team and club, fans included. We, as players, have to turn it around, but we all stick together.

"It's easier said than done to draw a line under 2020. You have to draw a line under every game really.

"They're coming thick and fast and we can't dwell on what's gone before. We can talk all we want but we have to do it on the pitch. It's a fresh start.

"Things can change. If we put a run together, the table looks different and optimism grows. Only the players can change that."

The Verdict

It's all well and good saying the fans need to stick with the players, but those on the pitch need to give the supporters something to cheer about.

Forest fans had a miserable time of it in 2020, from throwing away their chance of the play offs last season to the horrific start to the 2020/21 campaign so you can't blame them for being overly negative.

But 2021 may bring more positive results, with their first port of call coming at Deepdale this weekend to take on Preston North End, and if Christie's words are anything to go by, a few positive messages ahead of that match from fans may do the world of good for the squad.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/cyrus-christie-issues-plea-to-nottingham-forest-fans-following-poor-run-of-form/

WhiteJC

Burnley vs Fulham clash in doubt as Scott Parker provides update

Fulham's game with Tottenham earlier this week was postponed just three hours before kick-off

Scott Parker has admitted he doesn't know if Sunday's Premier League clash with Burnley will go ahead after a coronavirus outbreak at Fulham.

Wednesday's London derby with Tottenham was called off with only three hours notice.

Fulham have returned to training despite the six players understood to have tested positive being forced to self-isolate.

All players and staff have been re-tested today and results should be available in the morning.

Fulham are planning to travel up to Burnley for the Sunday lunchtime kickoff after training tomorrow.

But Parker said: "We have players who have tested positive and are now in isolation.

"I don't want to get into the real specifics of it but we have had a number of positive tests.

"I don't know if the Burnley game is going to get played or not – I am not sure. We have had re-testing in the last few days.

"We are preparing the best we can to go up to Burnley and really put in a performance to try and get some points.

"We will wait for the last round of testing. For me the main focus is to prepare the team the best I can to get a result."

Spurs boss Jose Mourinho was furious when their London derby was only cancelled in mid-afternoon on Wednesday before a scheduled 6pm kickoff.

But Parker laid the blame with the Premier League.

"I have not spoken to Jose but we were in exactly the same position as Tottenham," he said.

"We were in a hotel. We didn't know until late on as well. We were sitting 20 minutes away from the stadium obviously ready for our pre-match.

"The place to where that information went to went on Tuesday and that information did not change till Wednesday. There was no new information on Wednesday so the information was there on Tuesday.

"For whatever reason, it didn't get called off until 2.30 or 3 'clock. I was in exactly the same position and I understand Jose's frustration. I was the same."

Parker added: "Are our protocols strong enough? I don't know. There is a new strain. I don't know if the protocols are strong enough for this new strain which seems to be more contagious and spreading more quickly.

"I am sure that is something that the people in the right places are ob looking into. I think there are a number of factors for me. The wellbeing and safety of the players, their families and the places were are going into, whether that is hotels, travel or opposition teams

"And also the integrity of the game as well. They say 14 players is the cut-off line for a team to have. I am not sure it is right that you go with a 14 players with a three-man bench.

"I am not sure that we want that really in terms of the competition, in terms of the game and the league we all want really."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/burnley-vs-fulham-clash-doubt-23248363

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Wolves lead Fulham & West Brom in race to sign English defender

Wolves are leading West Brom and Fulham in the race to sign Grimsby Town defender Mattie Pollock, Football Insider understands.

The 19-year-old centre-back has impressed for the League Two outfit and already has 50 first-team appearances under his belt after breaking into the senior side back in late 2018.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that several Premier League sides are in the hunt to snap up the hot prospect, with Fulham and West Brom both linked with a move, but that Nuno Espirito Santo's men are in pole position.

Pollock, a graduate of Grimsby's youth system, made his first-team debut for the club back in the 2018/19 season when he featured as a substitute against Exeter City.

He featured regularly in the League Cup and EFL Trophy last season, while his first league start came in September 2019, also against Exeter.

The son of former Middlesbrough and Bolton Wanderers midfielder Jamie Pollock, Mattie established himself as a regular among the starting XI at the start of 2020 and started 10 of the club's final 14 league games before the season was curtailed.

He is now a mainstay of the senior side at Blundell Park and has played a total of 21 times across all competitions, with four goals under his belt.

Pollock's impressive performances have caught the eye of several top-flight sides who see the young defender as a promising talent who could make the step up over the coming years.

Wolves have had a strong focus on signing young players to develop in recent windows, with the likes of Fabio Silva, Ki-Jana Hoever and Luke Matheson all having joined over the past 12 months.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-wolves-lead-fulham-west-brom-in-race-to-sign-english-defender/

WhiteJC

Pre-Burnley Press Conference

Scott Parker gave an update regarding the wellbeing of his squad in a press conference on New Year's Day.

Following the postponement of the Tottenham Hotspur fixture, there has been some debate as to whether our trip to Burnley will - or should - go ahead on Sunday.

As things stand, the Fulham Head Coach is preparing his side for the match as normal, but he stressed that safety should come first.

"I don't want to get into the specifics of it but we had a number of positive tests," Parker explained.

"The players who tested positive are obviously now in isolation. They're following the government protocols that have been set out.

"I don't know if the Burnley game is going to get played or not. We've had ongoing testing over the last days.

"What I do know is I've got a bunch of players here and we're preparing as best we can to go up to Burnley and really put in a performance to try and get some points. For me the main focus is full steam ahead.

"There's a number of factors for me, and that's the wellbeing and safety of players, their families. Places that we're going into, whether that's hotels or travel, or opposition teams. And also the integrity of the game as well.

"They say 14 players is the cut off line for a team but I'm not sure it sits right that you go with 14 players, with a three man bench.

"I'm sure we wouldn't want that as a competition in terms of the game and the league that we all love."

Burnley took a little while to find their rhythm this season, but are enjoying good form right now, having taken 11 points from their last six outings.

"It's a tough game," Parker said. "Regardless of where you are in the league, it's always a tough game against Burnley.

"They had a slow start to the season in terms of results but have picked up some good results of late.

"It's always a big challenge, they're a team who can make it very difficult for us, Turf Moor has always been a tough place to go.

"They defend their box very well and their set-plays are a key threat. They bring a real energy, everyone understands their roles and where they can hurt teams and cause you problems.

"They'll make the game uncomfortable at times and we need to be prepared for that the best we can."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/Pre-Burnley-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

Full Burnley squad available for Fulham fixture as Clarets assess Charlie Taylor injury

Burnley are hopeful of returnees over the coming days with Fulham the visitors to Turf Moor on Sunday

Charlie Taylor is set to miss Burnley's Premier League fixture against Fulham this weekend as the Clarets await to discover the severity of the hamstring injury he sustained against Sheffield United.

The left-back was replaced by Josh Benson after just nine minutes of the encounter with the Blades after a hamstring strain and is likely to be sidelined for the coming weeks.

But there is brighter news on the availability front as Dwight McNeil and Matej Vydra - who missed the home victory against Chris Wilder's men - could be in contention for a recall as the club nurse them back to full health.

Jay Rodriguez picked up a knock against Leeds United but may be included after missing midweek but the fixture will come too soon for long-term absentees Jack Cork and Johann Berg Gudmundsson, who have made excellent progress in the final stages of their rehabiliation.

The pair participated in a behind closed doors friendly against Accrington Stanley on Wednesday, with Gudmundsson netting a hat-trick in a 5-1 victory.

Asked about how the Clarets were faring in terms of injuries, Dyche said: "Jay has jarred his knee so we hope that settles down. Vyds has a tweak in his back which we don't think is serious but he is still struggling.

"Dwight has a strain and is going along nicely but we can't risk these players as we are trying to get everyone fit.

"Johann is still on his way back to full sharpness. Corky is going along nicely and is getting stronger and fitter all the time."

Full Burnley squad available: Pope, Peacock-Farrell, Norris;Lowton, Bardsley, Pieters, Mee, Tarkowski, Long, Dunne; Brownhill, Brady, McNeil, Mancini, Westwood, Stephens, Benson, Goodridge; Wood, Rodriguez, Barnes, Vydra, Mumbongo.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-squad-revealed-fulham-dyche-19549749

WhiteJC

Scott Parker understands Jose Mourinho's frustration over postponement

Fulham manager Scott Parker understands the frustration of Tottenham counterpart Jose Mourinho following the late decision to postpone the Premier League clash between the two sides on Wednesday.

The match was called off less than three hours before kick-off after an outbreak of coronavirus in the Cottagers camp, and Mourinho has said he felt the handling of the situation was "unprofessional".

Parker revealed he is unsure if his side's next match against Burnley on Sunday will go ahead after the Covid-19 outbreak and, having already made one late adjustment this week, he admits he can see why Mourinho was frustrated.

"I've not spoken to Jose," he said. "We were in exactly the same position as Tottenham were in. We were in a hotel, we didn't know until late on as well.

"We were sitting 20 minutes away from the stadium, obviously ready to have pre-match and waiting around in the hotel, so it was late for my side as well.

"The places where that information went to on Tuesday... that information did not change until Wednesday. There was no new information come Wednesday so the information was there on Tuesday but for one reason or another it didn't get postponed or called off until the time it was.

"I was in exactly the same position and I understand Jose's frustration."

Parker was reluctant to go into the specifics concerning the extent of the Covid-19 outbreak but revealed retesting has taken place and results should be available before his team head to the north west to take on Sean Dyche's men.

The former England international was forced to self-isolate himself after a member of his household tested positive for coronavirus, missing the goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day.

But despite all the recent distractions, Parker insists his focus is on getting a result at Turf Moor after a run of four consecutive draws.

"The players that have tested positive are obviously now in isolation," he said. "They are following the Government protocols that have been set out for everyone.

I don't like the idea of stopping the game because we've worked so hard to get into this position in terms of teams and players so it's not something I want to do.

Scott Parker

"I don't really want to get into the real specifics of it but we had a number of positive tests.

"I don't know whether the Burnley game is going to get played or not, I'm not sure. We've had retesting, we've had ongoing testing over the last days.

"What I do know is I've got a bunch of players here and we're preparing as best we can to go up to Burnley and really put in a performance to try and get some points.

"Regarding the other stuff, we'll leave that in the hands of the people and the places to be and over the coming hours, whatever comes back in terms of the last round of testing.

"For me the main focus is going full steam ahead to try and prepare a team to go and get a result at Burnley."

West Brom manager Sam Allardyce has called for a temporary halt to the season amid the rising number of cases but the Premier League has said it has no current plans to change its coronavirus protocols.

Parker believes stopping football would be a backwards step after so much work has gone into getting players on the pitch again, and he is putting his faith in the powers that be to make the correct decisions.

"I don't like the idea of stopping the game because we've worked so hard to get into this position in terms of teams and players so it's not something I want to do," he said.

"Are our protocols strong enough? I don't know. There is a new strain. I don't know if the protocols are strong enough for this new strain which seems to be more contagious and spreading more quickly. I am sure that is something that the people in the right places are obviously looking into.

"I think there are a number of factors for me and that's the wellbeing and safety of players, their families, the places were are going into, whether that is hotels or that's travel or opposition teams.

"And also the integrity of the game as well. Because they say 14 players is the cut-off line for a team to have. I am not sure it is right that you go with 14 players with a three-man bench.

"I am not sure that we want that really as a competition, in terms of the game and the league that we all want."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/scott-parker-understands-jose-mourinhos-frustration-over-postponement_428825.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Parker keen to bring in striker

Scott Parker admits a striker is the number one priority for Fulham in the January transfer window.

The head coach previously revealed he was more likely to make a loan signing than buy, with a foreign import a more likely source than the Premier League.

The Whites have only scored 13 goals in 15 league games this season.

In an ever-desperate search for goals, winger Ivan Cavaleiro has been pushed up front, not least because the fading form of Aleksandar Mitrovic has been a major headache.

Last season's Championship Golden Boot winner has netted only two in the top flight this term – and one of those was a penalty in a 4-3 defeat at Leeds.

Parker knows he has to look elsewhere if he is to avoid relegation for the second time in three seasons.

"At the beginning of the year we recognised where needed strengthening – and I thought we did that very well," he said.

"But we have one recognised striker in the building in Aleks.

"It's an area where we're light and we'd like to strengthen. But we know it's a difficult window and, in this climate, even more so.

"But it's clear that in other Premier League squads there's more depth."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-parker-eyeing-deal-for-striker

WhiteJC

Ever-present Charlie Taylor missing as Burnley take on Fulham

Charlie Taylor's ever-present record for Burnley will end when they welcome Fulham on Sunday after the defender sustained a hamstring injury against Sheffield United.

Taylor faces a number of weeks on the sidelines, which could bring Phil Bardsley back into contention.

Sean Dyche is already without Jay Rodriguez (knee), Dwight McNeil (muscle strain), Johann Berg Gudmundsson (thigh), Matej Vydra and Jack Cork.

Fulham manager Scott Parker was keeping his cards close to his chest regarding the coronavirus outbreak at the club ahead of the trip to Turf Moor.

The Cottagers saw their match against Tottenham on Wednesday postponed due to a number of positive tests and, although Parker would not go into specifics, he revealed some players would be missing due to self-isolation.

Fulham have no injury worries for the trip north.

Burnley provisional squad: Pope, Lowton, Pieters, Tarkowski, Mee, Bardsley, Brownhill, Brady, Westwood, Wood, Barnes, Peacock-Farrell, Norris, Long, Dunne, Stephens, Mancini, Benson, Mumbongo, Thomas.

Fulham provisional squad: Areola, Aina, Andersen, Adarabioyo, Decordova-Reid, Anguissa, Reed, Robinson, Cairney, Lemina, Lookman, Mitrovic, Rodak, Hector, Odoi, Ream, Loftus-Cheek, Bryan, Kamara, Cavaleiro, Tete, Kongolo.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ever-present-charlie-taylor-missing-as-burnley-take-on-fulham-1609516155000

WhiteJC

Fulham signing this talented 6ft 3in teenage starlet would be a smart long-term investment

Why Mattie Pollock would be a good long-term investment for Fulham

According to The Daily Telegraph, Fulham are running the rule over highly-rated Grimsby Town centre-back Mattie Pollock heading into the January transfer window.

Premier League rivals West Brom are also believed to be scouting the 19-year-old centre-back, who has earned rave reviews for his performances for the Mariners in EFL League Two this season. Pollock's current contract at Blundell Park is due to expire next summer but Grimsby Town have the option to extend his stay by a further 12 months. (h/t Daily Telegraph)

Pollock started his career in the youth ranks of Leeds United before joining Grimsby Town in 2018. He made his debut against Exeter City in December that year aged just 17 and eventually assumed a more prominent role during the 2019-20 campaign, featuring 21 times across all competitions.

The teenager has progressed by leaps and bounds to establish himself as a regular starter at the heart of Grimsby's backline this term. Pollock has made 21 appearances across all competitions so far, starting 16 games in League Two.

Standing at 6ft 3in with a powerful frame, the centre-back has also caught the eye with his exploits further up the pitch, scoring 4 times already this season.

Putting things into perspective, Mattie Pollock looks like a player with real potential and Fulham beating off competition for the teenager would be a solid investment for the future. That he's playing regular first-team football, regardless of the level of competition, at the tender age of 19 clearly underlines his development and maturity.

Having said that, however, Pollock wouldn't really be an immediate first-team option for Scott Parker's side. Fulham roped in Joachim Andersen and Tosin Adarabioyo in the summer while Terence Kongolo also returned to Craven Cottage on a permanent transfer to bolster the backline.

With Tim Ream, Denis Odoi and Maxime Le Marchand also competing for places, the Cottagers are already very well stocked in central defence. Pollock is unlikely to burst onto the scene during the second half of the campaign given such stiff competition in the ranks. Fulham, though, should look at him as a diamond in the rough and one who could potentially make a big name for himself in the years to come.

Pollock isn't exactly a complete rookie considering that he already boasts 50 appearances for Grimsby Town in all competitions. Having excelled as a regular starter in League Two, Fulham should look to enhance his development with some loan spells, first in League One and then in the Championship. That would likely prepare him for life in the Premier League moving forward.

Verdict

Scott Parker has shown that he's not hesitant to hand the youngsters regular game time if they are genuinely good enough to do a job for the team. The likes of Ademola Lookman and Antonee Robinson have been among the club's standout performers in the Premier League this season.

Mattie Pollock still has plenty of room for development before he evolves into a finished article capable of thriving in the top-flight. But Fulham have every reason to be hopeful that he can eventually make the grade as the centre-back's early potential certainly points to a bright future. All in all, this should be a good low-risk signing for the Cottagers in January.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2021/01/02/why-mattie-pollock-would-be-a-good-long-term-investment-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Burnley boss Sean Dyche braced for Fulham battle if game gets go-ahead

SEAN Dyche is prepared for his side to have to dig in again against Fulham tomorrow, if the game is able to go ahead.

There are question marks over the fixture after Fulham's game at Spurs on Wednesday was called off less than four hours before kick-off because of the number of positive coronavirus tests in the Cottagers' camp.

Fulham boss Scott Parker was due to return to the dugout that night following a period of self-isolation after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19.

But Fulham said 'a number' of players and first team staff had returned positive tests and were self-isolating, while everyone else within the group would be retested immediately to determine whether tomorrow's game could go ahead.

If it does go ahead, Burnley boss Dyche is expecting another tough encounter as they look to build on the momentum that has led to a five-point cushion above the bottom three.

Beating Fulham would stretch that advantage to eight points, but Dyche said: "I've made it clear many times I'm never really overly concerned with tables. The one at the end of the season is the most important.

"It doesn't actually mean anything until the end of the season.

"We've earned the right over the last number of games - possibly crying it in a bit I thought we deserved more at Leeds for different reasons, that might have added another point, possibly three. But I think the return at the moment is very good considering the challenge we've had and the ongoing challenge.

"I think we've done very well thus far. We have to keep going, keep fighting to win games.

"I thought that was on show (against Sheffield United) for different reasons, the way we saw the game through. That's an important factor for us in the Premier League. I've always said, no matter who you are in the Premier League, or any level of football, when you're really on your performance level, you win a game and look back on it and think 'that was a deserved win' and more come.

"When you're not they're the ones that are really important, when you're not quite on it and the opposition are good. I thought that was the case (on Tuesday). I thought Sheffield United put in a really good performance and we came out of it with a win."

Regarding Fulham, Dyche added: "Then we go on to the Fulham game and we might have to do that again. They've got some quality, they're working the players hard to get them to perform, we've got to find those margins and find those moments and we've done that very successfully over a number of seasons but we'll have to do it again."

Fulham boss Parker admitted he was unsure if the game would go ahead as the club awaits the outcome of the latest round of Covid tests.

He said: "I don't know whether the Burnley game is going to get played or not, I'm not sure. We've had retesting, we've had ongoing testing over the last days.

"What I do know is I've got a bunch of players here and we're preparing as best we can to go up to Burnley and really put in a performance to try and get some points."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18981923.burnley-boss-sean-dyche-braced-fulham-battle-game-gets-go-ahead/

WhiteJC

'We have to keep fighting' - Burnley boss Sean Dyche's focus on Fulham clash
Sean Dyche expects another battling display from his side as they look to move eight points clear of trouble.

Burnley have picked up 11 points from the 18 available in December, only bettered by Manchester United, Everton and Liverpool.

That has seen the Clarets claw their way up the table to 16th, with a five-point cushion over the Cottagers in 18th.

A third-successive home win would stretch that buffer, but Dyche knows his players will have to dig deep against a side who have lost only one of their last six, with four-straight draws.

It remains to be seen if the game will go ahead, after Fulham's game at Spurs on Wednesday was called off three hours before kick-off because of a number of positive coronavirus tests.

Fulham boss Scott Parker was set to return to the dugout at his former club, after coming out of isolation after a member of his household tested positive for Covid-19, but he expressed his doubts about Sunday's fixture taking place, saying: "We travel up tomorrow (Saturday), and had testing today, results will come back on that morning so at the moment it's full steam ahead. The wellbeing of players is paramount."

Dyche, with a new chairman in Alan Pace in the directors' box, is focused purely on putting in a performance: "I've made it clear many times I'm never really overly concerned with tables.

"The one at the end of the season is the most important.

"It doesn't actually mean anything until the end of the season.

"We've earned the right over the last number of games - possibly crying it in a bit I thought we deserved more at Leeds for different reasons, that might have added another point, possibly three.

"But I think the return at the moment is very good considering the challenge we've had, and the ongoing challenge.

"I think we've done very well thus far, we have to keep going, keep fighting to win games.

"I thought that was on show (against Sheffield United) for different reasons, the way we saw the game through.

"That's an important factor for us in the Premier League. I've always said, no matter who you are in the Premier League, or any level of football, when you're really on your performance level, you win a game and look back on it and think 'that was a deserved win' and more come.

"When you're not, they're the ones that are really important, when you're not quite on it and the opposition are good. I thought that was the case (on Tuesday).

"I thought Sheffield United put in a really good performance and we came out of it with a win.

"Then we go on to the Fulham game and we might have to do that again.

"They've got some quality, they're working the players hard to get them to perform, we've got to find those margins and find those moments and we've done that very successfully over a number of seasons but we'll have to do it again."

Fulham, like Burnley in 2016, were promoted at the first attempt after relegation from the Premier League, and Dyche added: "I know Scotty a little bit. I thought they did a good job in getting over the line last season, not easy.

"An indifferent start, which can happen, and then they're just beginning to find their way a little bit more.

"Newcomers to the Premier League, it's not an easy task, and I always say you've got to earn the right to be in the Premier League and once you've earned the right then you've got to take it seriously. We'll certainly be prepping as seriously as we did (for Sheffield United).

"The players are under no illusions about the challenge of every game in the Premier League so our focus will be on enhancing and operating the manner that we feel can affect the game."

As with Burnley, Fulham are becoming harder to beat, and Dyche noted: "Every team in the Premier League is looking for that balance. Possibly they might have looked at it and thought they needed to tighten up a bit from early season.

"The players will be learning and they'll get more used to the demands of the Premier League. Even when you understand the Premier League it still doesn't make it easy.

"We will be ready, I know that."

https://www.pendletoday.co.uk/sport/football/we-have-keep-fighting-burnley-boss-sean-dyches-focus-fulham-clash-3083274

WhiteJC

Burnley v Fulham: match preview

Burnley look like a side reborn in their past few games and Fulham, although much improved after a dire start to the season, face a hard battle to take anything from a side who have not lost at Turf Moor since October. Sean Dyche will be encouraged by the news that the takeover of the club by ALK Capital has been completed and they have pledged to back him in the January transfer window. Dwight McNeil and Jay Rodriguez could come back for the home side after injury but Charlie Taylor is definitely out after pulling his hamstring against Sheffield United on Tuesday. Scott Parker will have Mario Lemina available after the on-loan midfielder missed the game against his parent club Southampton and Ivan Cavaleiro and Kenny Tete may also be fit enough to return. Rich Flower

Sunday midday Sky Sports Premier League

Venue Turf Moor

Last season n/a

Referee Craig Pawson

This season G9 Y29 R0 3.22 cards/game

Odds H 5-4 A 5-2 D 9-4

Burnley

Subs from Norris, Peacock-Farrell, McNeil, Stephens, Rodriguez, Bardsley, Vydra, Long, Mancini, Mumbongo

Doubtful McNeil (groin), Rodriguez (knee), Vydra (back)

Injured Gudmundsson (thigh, 9 Jan), Cork (match fitness, 9 Jan), Dunne (knock, unknown), Taylor (hamstring, unknown)

Suspended None

Discipline Y21 R0

Form DWDWLW

Leading scorer Wood 3

Fulham

Subs from Rodak, Tete, Hector, Odoi, McDonald, Kebano, Johansen, Mitrovic, Cairney, Ream, Lemina, Le Marchand, Bryan, Seri, Onomah, Kongolo, Fabri, Robinson, Kamara

Doubtful Kongolo (ankle)

Injured None

Suspended None

Discipline Y31 R2

Form WLDDDD

Leading scorer Decordova-Reid 4

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/02/burnley-v-fulham-match-preview

WhiteJC

Jordan Henderson: Liverpool captain was in 'a very dark place' when club considered selling him to Fulham

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson says he was in 'a very dark place' when the club thought about selling him to Fulham in 2012 but he is convinced the experience made him stronger; follow Southampton vs Liverpool on Sky Sports Premier League and Main Event from 7pm on Monday; kick-off 8pm

Jordan Henderson admits he was in "a very dark place" when Liverpool considered selling him to Fulham a little more than a year after he joined the club.

The Liverpool captain, who went on to lead the side to their first league title in 30 years last summer, signed from Sunderland in June 2011 for £20m.

However, 14 months after he made the switch, Liverpool contemplated selling him to Fulham in a swap deal with Clint Dempsey.

Speaking to The Guardian ahead of the Reds' trip to Southampton on Monday, live on Sky Sports, Henderson admits it was a particularly hard time but the experience made him a stronger person in the long run.

"That was a difficult moment I remember very clearly," he said. "We were preparing for a (Europa League qualifying) game against Hearts at Anfield. We met as normal in the hotel and I got a knock on my door saying the manager wanted to speak to us. To be fair to Brendan Rodgers, it was really just a conversation. It was an opportunity (to leave for Fulham) I didn't want and I didn't like. I still felt I had an awful lot to give.

"But I was in a very dark place at that time. It made us a lot stronger and a lot wiser later on and, without that, you never know what could have happened.

"So I really cherish them moments because you need setbacks, you need adversity. You get back up, and it makes you stronger because you want to prove people wrong. Ever since that day I had something in me.

"I needed to prove to the manager I would get in his team eventually. I'd do absolutely everything to be in his team, this football club, and I'd prove them wrong. In the end, I did."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12177195/jordan-henderson-liverpool-captain-was-in-a-very-dark-place-when-club-considered-selling-him-to-fulham