watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who will be leaving this window?

Started by bill taylors apprentice, January 01, 2021, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

Some of the players should have left in the last window, but it didn't happen for one reason or another.

Texas White

Quote from: ron on January 03, 2021, 11:39:37 AM
After a clear out, how about having a go for Oliver Norwood. Okay, he's 29, but proven with us , and wouldn't mind being rescued from his current plight I should think. Just a thought.

Interesting that. He was on fire last year

Tabby

I'm curious who you'd want to replace with Norwood from the starting lineup. There is no point in getting him in if he is going to be fourth choice.

We already have 3 CM's outside of the squad, all of who were rated higher than him by the club as recently as 3 years ago.

Texas White

Quote from: Tabby on January 03, 2021, 02:59:43 PM
I'm curious who you'd want to replace with Norwood from the starting lineup. There is no point in getting him in if he is going to be fourth choice.

We already have 3 CM's outside of the squad, all of who were rated higher than him by the club as recently as 3 years ago.

I think he would suit our style of play

BarryP

Quote from: ron on January 03, 2021, 11:39:37 AM
After a clear out, how about having a go for Oliver Norwood. Okay, he's 29, but proven with us , and wouldn't mind being rescued from his current plight I should think. Just a thought.

I liked Norwood when he played for Fulham but this is not a position I would like to see Fulham spend funds on in this window.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Tabby

Quote from: Texas White on January 03, 2021, 08:51:41 PM

Would you play him ahead of Reed, Lemina or Anguissa?

Asotosyios

We might have to find another loan for Knockaert if he doesn't stay at Nottingham.

They are apparently looking at WBA's Grosicki, if they cannot extend Knockaert's loan.

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2021/01/03/decision-looming-anthony-knockaert-nottingham-forest-rumours-given-fresh-twist/

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Tabby on January 03, 2021, 11:29:39 PM
Quote from: Texas White on January 03, 2021, 08:51:41 PM

Would you play him ahead of Reed, Lemina or Anguissa?

The injury record of Reed, Cairney, and RLC means any midfielder will most likely have opportunities.

Fernhurst

If, per chance we stay up we will need to get familiar with having a bloated squad. Leicester dropped Seven players for last but one game and then reinstated them all for last nights game! It will be Scott's job to make the whole squad as strong as it can possibly be.
The top six keep as many players as possible to prevent others from strengthing their squads. Unless you are like Wolves and recruit exclusively from abroad it appears to be the most difficult task of the modern day coach and DoF.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Holders

I wonder if the technical term is "defenestration".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

Quote from: Holders on January 04, 2021, 11:54:32 AM

Presumably from the French fenetre?

Holders

Quote from: Twig on January 04, 2021, 12:06:21 PM

From Latin fenestra, originally. Similar to German Fenster. Since basic English comes from German, it's strange that we don't use the same derivation; instead window comes from "wind-eye". Here endeth the etymology and philology lesson.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jayffc on January 01, 2021, 05:15:57 PM
Sell

Kebano
Cav
Knockaert (if he returns)
Odoi
MLM
Seri
Kmac (or appoint him to staff if hes done playing)
Stefjo
Fabri
Onomah

Put all the above money towards a striker and RW

If we want to retain any if them in case we go down
Loans for Onomah and Odoi

I cannot see the club offloading all these players, some of them will be useful and important to have in the match day squad to help avoid the drop. Therefore I would try and sell

Fabri
Seri.
MLM
Odio
Kevin Mac.  (unless he stays as a coach)
Knockaert   (if he is returned)

I would be tempted to add Tim Ream to the list as i cannot see him getting any real game time.

The others Kebano, Steff, Cav, Josh we will need and they can all do a job especially Josh who has potential. I appreciate Cav is not worthy of a starting place but he appears to be in Scotts plans at the moment.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

So it seems Seri is in negotiations to leave.
Johansen has accepted his time is up and looking for a move and he must be a good pick for a decent team.

It seems to me that a player on the fringes but with no real chance of playing would usually be looking at options elsewhere but in todays climate I think most will sit tight and pick up his salary rather than risk moving in these troubled times.

Unless a player is motivated to move to get playing time the likes of Fabri will be content to pick up his wages and see his contract out in the summer. I can't see anyone wanting a keeper who has played 3 or 4 games in over 2 seasons?
MLM is surplus to requirements and like Fabri will sit and wait for his contract to run down.

Knockaert realises its time to move on but will he find someone willing to buy him and pay what he thinks he's worth?
I believe the likes of Odoi, KMac & Ream are at stages in the careers that mean they are looking for the right move that gives them security for as long as possible while taking their family situation into account.
No short term deals just to get playing again, otherwise they too will sit tight and collect their salaries.

I doubt any offers for fringe players such as Kebano will materialise but you never know? 

HV71

Quote from: Holders on January 04, 2021, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: Twig on January 04, 2021, 12:06:21 PM

From Latin fenestra, originally. Similar to German Fenster. Since basic English comes from German, it's strange that we don't use the same derivation; instead window comes from "wind-eye". Here endeth the etymology and philology lesson.

- and only seems to happen in Prague , very Bohemian

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 05, 2021, 07:23:43 AM
Quote from: jayffc on January 01, 2021, 05:15:57 PM
Sell

Kebano
Cav
Knockaert (if he returns)
Odoi
MLM
Seri
Kmac (or appoint him to staff if hes done playing)
Stefjo
Fabri
Onomah

Put all the above money towards a striker and RW

If we want to retain any if them in case we go down
Loans for Onomah and Odoi

I cannot see the club offloading all these players, some of them will be useful and important to have in the match day squad to help avoid the drop. Therefore I would try and sell

Fabri
Seri.
MLM
Odio
Kevin Mac.  (unless he stays as a coach)
Knockaert   (if he is returned)

I would be tempted to add Tim Ream to the list as i cannot see him getting any real game time.

The others Kebano, Steff, Cav, Josh we will need and they can all do a job especially Josh who has potential. I appreciate Cav is not worthy of a starting place but he appears to be in Scotts plans at the moment.

All of the players mentioned would be decent bench options in the championship, and none of the players mentioned would get much money in the transfer market (between £1m to £3m each). Depth is critical in the championship, we need to keep most of it. Averaging two points per game in the championship with injuries is what gets an automatic promotion, depth is what makes maintaining "high points per game with injuries" possible.

For example, last season in 19/20, Kevin McDonald was the seventh most used central midfielder and yet when starting contributed to 13 points (we made the playoffs by 11 points) plus he closed out another nine games. So despite being the 21st most used player in the squad without Kevin McDonald we may not have even made the playoffs. Same can be said for Betts, MLM, Kamara, and Kebano, etc.

And, if we lose against Brighton, WBA, and Burnley in the next month with our team sick with covid then we need to start planning for the Championship now.

Let's not sell championship players now, then buy premier league players on the winter deadline day, only to get relegated, then sell those premier league players in the summer to buy more championship players on summer deadline day. If it sounds like a chaotic plan, it is; but wait until you so see Tony Khan's implementation of such a plan, because I'm sure he will make it more chaotic than it sounds and could leave us in mess for a decade.

FulhamStu

I get what you are saying and it's a really difficult one and a finely balanced judgment on where we will be next season however a couple of points, Seri will not play in the championship and I expect is costing us too much in salary, so if Parker can't find a place in the 25 this season he has to move on.  We have recruited permanently full backs and central defenders and frankly have more than we need, so whoever is ranked lowest in those positions, should be moved on and the same goes for central midfield.  We however are likely to lose Frank and I doubt Lemina would play in the championship so yes there is a good argument for keeping 2 more than we need in midfield by only loaning them out as we have done with Betts.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FulhamStu on January 06, 2021, 09:28:54 AM
I get what you are saying and it's a really difficult one and a finely balanced judgment on where we will be next season however a couple of points, Seri will not play in the championship and I expect is costing us too much in salary, so if Parker can't find a place in the 25 this season he has to move on.  We have recruited permanently full backs and central defenders and frankly have more than we need, so whoever is ranked lowest in those positions, should be moved on and the same goes for central midfield.  We however are likely to lose Frank and I doubt Lemina would play in the championship so yes there is a good argument for keeping 2 more than we need in midfield by only loaning them out as we have done with Betts.

Yes, Tony Khan needs to work out who is staying and going if we go down, then adjust accordingly. You say we have too many defenders, but I suspect your wrong. Firstly; Christie, Aina, Anderson, and Ream have their contracts ending this season. Secondly; S.Sess, Tete, Mawson, and Kongolo could be still be injured next season given their injury records. And, we need the remaining six defenders assuming no more injuries and no one ends up with long covid.

The same analysis of the midfield and forwards makes it is even more clear that we might need everyone we own. I cannot imagine Anguissa hanging around, Lookman and RLC are leaving, Lemina might not sign, Reed and Onamah could be injured again, plus KMac and Knockaert may be pushed out. We could sell a few players, but if we don't get much money we could be buying a similar player in six months' time for more than we sold for.

Maybe for once, we can end a season with enough players and quality to start the next season, rather than planning to buy players early in the summer and end up buying them on deadline day.