more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 13/01/21...

Started by WhiteJC, January 13, 2021, 12:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham manager backing Chelsea loanee Ruben Loftus-Cheek to deliver more

Scott Parker has backed Ruben Loftus-Cheek to really showcase his abilities as he finds his feet after a tough start to his Fulham loan spell.

The Chelsea star hasn't featured as regularly as some may have expected during his temporary switch across west London. He completed the full 90 minutes for only the second time of his Whites stint during their 2-0 extra-time win over QPR at the weekend.

But his boss is adamant that there is more to come from the powerful midfielder.

"I thought he did very well against QPR," assessed Parker.

"Ruben's been out for some time – this is probably the only consistent run of games he's had over the last 18 months. We're certainly seeing big improvements in that. He came on against Everton, got a goal, and again at the weekend he showed his quality in moments.

"He's probably getting to know us a little more and what's expected of him. I certainly still see lots and lots of levels from Ruben – this is a technically gifted beyond belief player. I see him getting better and better with each game. Goals, assists, grabbing games by the scruff of the neck – these are all elements of Ruben's game that he can do. There's only a handful of players you can probably say that about, so it just shows you the capabilities he possesses."

Parker also confirmed that a number of players who were missing from the QPR match would return to the squad for Wednesday's clash with Tottenham Hotspur. The Whites boss hinted that had he known in advance of the Premier League's plans to move the fixture forward, it would have impacted his thinking for the FA Cup clash.

"Everything has a consequence. We went for 120 minutes at the weekend. Like Jose managed the weekend – he knew had a fixture on Wednesday, whether that's Aston Villa, or, maybe my knowledge that he may have known it would have been us. He definitely knew it was going to be one of us. At that moment you adapt and you try to work out the best scenario. You're always looking at what games are coming up and how players are.

"Working players at the weekend who have been out for 10 days with Covid to get them up to speed because there's six days left before your next fixture – these are all elements of management and professional sport. That's constantly the balancing act of anyone in my position. That's exactly what we tried to do.

"If this fixture was put in last week on Wednesday or Thursday, you adapt again. It probably wouldn't have been ideal but I wouldn't be sitting here moaning about it. But at this moment now, with the way it's been done, it's just unfair. It's just not right. And when something is unfair and not right, that's when I have a problem.

"The squad have reacted fine. They've come in and prepared as well as we can – they're raring to go. There probably is an element where they want to get back out into competition. Can we use this for us? For sure we can. [To] galvanise us? I don't feel like we need that. I feel like we're in a good place – the team and the players are relishing the battles that we face every single weekend when we play in this division because that's where we are."

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/fulham-manager-backing-chelsea-loanee-ruben-loftus-cheek-to-deliver-more/

WhiteJC

Jose Mourinho: Tottenham boss says Fulham should apologise if they play strong side vs Spurs

Jose Mourinho feels Fulham will only have "one or two" players missing for their game at Spurs on Wednesday; Fulham boss Scott Parker called decision to put in fixture at 48 hours' notice "scandalous"; Tottenham were originally due to host Fulham on December 30

Jose Mourinho says Fulham should "apologise to all of us" if they play their strongest side against Tottenham on Wednesday night.

Spurs were originally due to host Fulham on December 30 before the game was postponed hours before kick-off due to a coronavirus outbreak within Scott Parker's squad - something which had frustrated Jose Mourinho - and the game was this week rescheduled for Wednesday.

Parker was unable to hide his anger at the late notice of his team being put into the fixture in place of Aston Villa - whose issues with a coronavirus outbreak led to the Premier League making the switch - and branded the move "scandalous".

Mourinho says he is expecting a good Fulham side to be named to play his team, who have take 29 points from 16 Premier League matches.

"They played Saturday against QPR in London," Mourinho said. "They have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the game tomorrow (Wednesday). If they come with half of the team I will be the first one to apologise to them, and I will be the first one to say we played this game with an advantage.

"If they come with their best team I think they should apologise to all of us. Come on, let's play football, let's behave the best we can, let's protect our industry, our image, and let's play football."

"We should see their team, their starting line-up, their bench, the players that are not involved," he added.

"After that, we can all feel sorry for them or we can all think that they shouldn't speak. My feeling is that they will play with everybody, maybe one player out, maximum two, that's just my guess. Of course we don't have access to any of this information, it's just a feeling I have, the best Fulham will be here.

"When we see the best Fulham then you realise lots of things they don't make sense."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12186243/jose-mourinho-tottenham-boss-says-fulham-should-apologise-if-they-play-strong-side-vs-spurs

WhiteJC

MATCHDAY: Fuming Fulham head to Spurs for rearranged match

A look at what's happening around European soccer on Wednesday:

ENGLAND

Fulham's players head to Tottenham aggrieved they were only given two days' notice for their Premier League game. Tottenham was scheduled to play Aston Villa but that match was postponed on Monday at the request of Villa because 10 of its players tested positive for the coronavirus last week. The Premier League announced simultaneously that Tottenham would instead play Fulham -- a match initially scheduled for Dec. 30 which was postponed following a coronavirus outbreak in the Fulham squad. Fulham manager Scott Parker has said it is a "scandalous" decision to force the game on his team, which is in the relegation zone. Fifth-place Tottenham would likely climb to third place with a win. Sixth-place Manchester City is tied for points with Tottenham heading into its home match against Burnley.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-neymar-soccer-france-la-liga-d241ae85c6880fb04f3225bda722ac7d

WhiteJC

spat Scott Parker 'disconnected with real world' as Jose Mourinho insists Fulham boss should APOLOGISE for calling short-notice of Tottenham clash 'scandalous'

EXCLUSIVE

Scott Parker has been labelled out of touch with the real world by talkSPORT host Hugh Woozencroft as Jose Mourinho insisted the Fulham boss should apologise for calling the short-notice of his side's Tottenham fixture 'scandalous'.

Fulham will travel to Spurs on 48 hours' notice this Wednesday as the postponed clash was rescheduled to take place instead of Tottenham's match with Aston Villa, which got pushed back by COVID-19.

The London derby was originally due to take place on December 30 before an outbreak of coronavirus at Fulham meant it was called off just three hours before it was due to kick-off.

While Tottenham knew they had a match this Wednesday, albeit against different opponents, Parker was not expecting to play until Friday against Chelsea, in a match which will now take place on Saturday.

Reacting to the news, the Fulham manager described the short notice of the Spurs fixture as 'scandalous' – and Mourinho was not impressed with his former Chelsea player.

The Spurs boss said: "In relation to Fulham, I think we should wait for tomorrow. We should see their team, their starting line-up, their bench, the players that start, the players on the bench, and the players not involved in the game.

"And after that we can all feel sorry for them. Or we can all think that they shouldn't speak.

Mourinho was left bewildered by Parker's comments

"My feeling is just my feeling. It's that they will play with everybody. Maybe one player out. Maximum two.

"That's just my guess because all this is confidential information and we don't have access to any of this. It's just a feeling that I have, the best Fulham will be here, so when we see the best Fulham, then you realise lots of things don't make sense.

"We played, if I'm not wrong, 10 more matches than Fulham since the beginning of the season.

"We played every week, three matches a week. We played, in one week, four matches. They played Saturday against QPR. In London.

"They have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the game. If they come with half of the team, I will be the first one to apologise to them. And I will be the first one to say we played this game with an advantage.

"If they come with their best, I think they should apologise to all of us. Come on, let's play football."

Meanwhile, talkSPORT presenter Woozencroft was also disappointed with Parker's comments given how the rest of the world has been forced to react to the ever-changing COVID-19 crisis.

"Football is showing, once again, it is disconnected with the real world," Woozencroft said.

"It's been months now and we all know how flexible we have to be, those of you with children out there understand that because earlier on this month you were told, with less than 24 hours notice, that you would have to be homeschooling your kids off to school.

"So we should all get it by now, but clearly we don't, because Scott Parker is so annoyed at being given two days to prepare for a match.

"Clearly he doesn't understand what people are going through, because it's a privilege to play football and he should be absolutely delighted that he's got a game to play.

"What does he want? Would he want it to be forfeited? At least he's got a chance of playing the match."

https://talksport.com/football/816658/

WhiteJC

Three Things to Look for From Fulham Versus Tottenham

As Tottenham Hotspur finally host Fulham in a make-up game from late December, there are some things about the Cottagers that should not surprise us.

Two weeks ago, when these two teams were originally scheduled to meet, Fulham was the on-form team having lost only one of their previous six matches. While that streak has run to 1 of the previous seven matches, Tottenham Hotspur have since played three matches – all shut out wins. While before Fulham was the on-form team, now both are playing well and Spurs need to be ready, so what can we expect from Fulham.

Fulham Getting Behind the Ball
Whether Fulham stick with their three-man back line with a five-man midfield in front or invert that and go with a five-man defense with a three- or even four-man midfield, expect at least nine players behind the ball for Fulham. The Cottagers will not completely park the bus and will be looking to counter, but their prime objective is going to be keeping a clean sheet.

Fulham have only given up two goals in their last five matches in all competitions. Both of those matches ended in 1-1 draws, including a draw with Liverpool one month to the day of the match. Scott Parker and his side understand their best opportunity to score is going to be on the counter and the best chance to counter comes from a well-organized defense.

Fulham Ready to Play
While Scott Parker was complaining about how much advanced notice, he and the club received prior to the match against Tottenham being scheduled, the reality is Fulham are not overworked. Yes, the club has several players and/or staff recovering from Covid-19, but the team has only played one game all month.

Whereas Tottenham have played three games, including one on Sunday, Fulham have played only the one FA Cup match on Saturday against Queens Park Rangers, a 0-2 victory. Admittedly a team would want to know about a game as soon as possible and even before that prior match. However, given them limited time involved in notifying Spurs about this same match originally being postponed, the time is more than adequate.

Early and Late Cottager Attack
Realizing that the overall game plan is to get bodies behind the ball, Fulham is going to look to get out to an early lead. Expect to see an extremely aggressive Fulham defense from the kickoff. The idea is that the Cottagers might catch someone early before they have settled into the game. If Fulham can get an early lead, Parker will look to capitalize on that as they almost did against Liverpool.

If Fulham cannot get an early goal, but neither do Spurs, expect Fulham to look to bend but not break and fight to control some possession deep for that middle forty minutes of the match. The idea would be if Fulham cannot score early, hang on and then the pressure shifts to Tottenham late, as any mistake that might lead to a Cottager goal would be devastating.

After scoring two goals in extra time against QPR at the weekend, Fulham is likely to come in with the confidence that they can find those goals late if they cannot get them early. Ultimately, it will be up to Tottenham to take control of the match as early as possible and ideally take the lead to force Fulham to become more expansive, which will create more opportunities for Spurs to score. While Fulham certainly can steal some points here, if Spurs can get on the ball early and maintain the momentum gained over the last two weeks, Tottenham should win.

https://hotspurhq.com/2021/01/13/things-look-fulham-vs-tottenham/

WhiteJC

https://hotspurhq.com/2021/01/13/things-look-fulham-vs-tottenham/

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham | Wednesday 13th January 2021 | 8.15pm | Tottenham Hotspur Stadium | #TOTFUL

The opposition

Spurs were able to rest the majority of their first team players for Sunday's 5-0 FA Cup victory over Marine, with Jose Mourinho making nine changes to his team. Lucas Moura and Moussa Sissoko were the only survivors from their Carabao Cup win over Brentford five days earlier.
    In their most recent Premier League fixture, Tottenham recorded a 3-0 success against Leeds United to end a run of four league outings without a win. Now, they welcome Fulham having scored 10 and conceded zero goals in their last three matches across all competitions.
    Scott Parker is taking on a club for whom he made 63 appearances in his playing days, while he will also come up against Jose Mourinho, his boss for a year at Chelsea.

Tottenham team news

Giovani Lo Celso is the home side's only confirmed absentee, with Erik Lamela and Steven Bergwijn coming back into contention.

Fulham team news

The Whites have no new injury concerns, and have been boosted by the successful returns to action of Josh Onomah, Kenny Tete and Terence Kongolo at the weekend. (NB: January rules stipulate that the 25-man squad list can be amended on a match by match basis until the transfer window closes.)

Coverage

The match will be broadcast live on Amazon Prime Video, while commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid is available for FFCtv subscribers.

Player insight

Joachim Andersen is looking forward to testing himself against Harry Kane when he lines up opposite the England captain.

"I think Harry's one of the best strikers in the world," he told FFCtv. "He's a really good player and you always want to play against the best.

"These are the games where you can learn something, and I'm looking forward to playing that game."

Form

Tottenham: WDWWW

Fulham: DDDDW

Pre-match quotes

"I like [Scott] very much, I don't hide that, he knows that and feels it, so I am very happy with the good things he is doing."

Jose Mourinho
Tottenham Manager

"I often say to this team that it's these moments where you can build something as teams, through the adverse times and when things are a little bit down."

Scott Parker
Fulham Head Coach

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/Spurs-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Full Tottenham squad revealed for rearranged Premier League clash vs Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur will be aiming to maintain their winning start to 2021 when they face Fulham at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Wednesday evening

Tottenham Hotspur will be looking to register a fourth successive victory in all competitions when they welcome Fulham to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this evening, kick-off 8:15pm.

Spurs, who progressed to the FA Cup fourth round at the weekend, defeating non-league outfit Marine 5-0, were supposed to lock horns with Aston Villa this evening at Villa Park, but the game was postponed earlier this week due to an outbreak of Covid-19 within the Villa camp.

Instead, Spurs, who have won their last three games without conceding a goal, will take on Fulham, who they were meant to face on December 30. On that occasion, the game was postponed just hours before kick-off following a Covid-19 outbreak within the Fulham squad.

With Jose Mourinho's preparations for the trip to Villa Park having had to have been scrapped on Monday, you could have forgiven the Portuguese chief for being less than impressed with the situation. However, Mourinho, who watched his side defeat Leeds United 3-0 in their last Premier League outing, is seemingly happy that the clash with Fulham will be ticked off Spurs' fixture list this evening.

"The biggest impact is to have matches postponed," said Mourinho during his pre-match press conference on Tuesday lunchtime. "That is the biggest impact. The changing of the order of the matches, the impact is minimal I would say.

"In the end, you have to play 19 matches at home and 19 away, and two matches against every team. So if it's to help the Premier League to go and to end properly, it's a solution we all have to accept as a positive solution."

After a bumpy few weeks at the end of 2020, Spurs have had a flying start to 2021, winning three matches in a row, scoring ten goals in the process. However, the visit of Fulham will be a completely different test for Mourinho's players, with the Cottagers having improved defensively in recent weeks, conceding just one goal in their last four outings in all competitions.

Assessing the challenge facing his players, Mourinho continued: "In this moment, it's difficult to play against them. To defend the way they do with five in the back, and sometimes a second line of four, other times with three, is not easy to score goals against them.

"That's obvious and then they have different ways of being dangerous. One thing is to be dangerous with [Aleksandar] Mitrovic, another thing is to be dangerous without Mitrovic, and they are good in these different situations.

"They can counter-attack well, they can arrive in crossing positions and create difficulties. They are a good team.

"They transform a little bit their philosophy, they understood well how to change, they did it. They are having results. And it's going to be difficult."

After making numerous changes for the clash with Marine on Sunday, Mourinho is likely to revert back to a more familiar starting line-up, meaning the likes of Hugo Lloris, Eric Dier, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Son Heung-min and Harry Kane are amongst those poised to return.

Son was named on the bench for the trip to Merseyside but was not called upon by Mourinho.

Elsewhere, Erik Lamela could return to the squad for the first time since breaking coronavirus lockdown rules. The Argentine was discovered to have attended a party alongside Sergio Reguilon, Giovani Lo Celso and West Ham United's Manuel Lanzini during the Christmas and New Year period.

Full Tottenham squad available to face Fulham:

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris, Joe Hart, Paulo Gazzaniga, Alfie Whiteman & Brandon Austin.

Defenders: Serge Aurier, Matt Doherty, Toby Alderweireld, Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Joe Rodon, Japhet Tanganga, Dennis Cirkin & Sergio Reguilon.

Midfielders: Lucas Moura, Jack Clarke, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Harry Winks, Moussa Sissoko, Tanguy Ndombele, Dele Alli, Gedson Fernandes, Harvey White & Steven Bergwijn.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Son Heung-min, Carlos Vinicius & Dane Scarlett.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/fixtures-results/tottenham-squad-team-news-fulham-19611875

WhiteJC

Jose Mourinho demands Scott Parker apology if he names strong Fulham side vs Tottenham

Spurs will play the Cottagers on short notice after their game with Aston Villa was called off at short notice due to a Covid-19 outbreak

Jose Mourinho has called on Scott Parker's Fulham to apologise if he fields a strong side against Tottenham on Wednesday night after complaining about the short notice for their rearranged fixture.

Parker labelled the decision to force the Cottagers to play the Premier League game on 48 hours notice as "scandalous", but Mourinho has zero sympathy for the struggling Londoners.

With the match initially scheduled to take place on 30 December, it was scrapped with less than three hours before kick-off due to Fulham suffering from a coronavirus outbreak.

And after Spurs' scheduled game at Aston Villa on Wednesday was called off for the same reason, the Premier League moved quickly.

Mourinho said: "In relation to Fulham, I think we should wait for tomorrow. We should see their team, their starting line-up, their bench, the players that start, the players on the bench, and the players not involved in the game.

"And after that we can all feel sorry for them. Or we can all think that they shouldn't speak.

"My feeling is just my feeling. It's that they will play with everybody. Maybe one player out. Maximum two.

"That's just my guess because all this is confidential information and we don't have access to any of this. It's just a feeling that I have, the best Fulham will be here, so when we see the best Fulham, then you realise lots of things don't make sense.

"We played, if I'm not wrong, 10 more matches than Fulham since the beginning of the season.

"We played every week, three matches a week. We played, in one week, four matches. They played Saturday against QPR. In London.

"They have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the game. If they come with half of the team, I will be the first one to apologise to them. And I will be the first one to say we played this game with an advantage.

"If they come with their best, I think they should apologise to all of us. Come on, let's play football."

Mourinho says the Premier League has moved the goalposts by allowing games to be postponed when it was agreed at the start of the season that they would go ahead if sides had 14 players available.

With a congested schedule for most teams in the second half of the season, he says there is no room for manoeuvre, which will leave some teams unhappier than others.

He said: "Look, since the pre-season when I was told that if you have 14 players available, you play football. Since that moment, I thought, 'We are going to play, we are going to end the season and we are not going to have problems'.

"That rule, if we can call it a rule, for some reason changed. We had some matches postponed. And since that moment, the situation became a little bit more difficult.

"Then, we needed leadership. We needed decisions to be made. And if we all are very selfish, or if you all want the perfect situation for ourselves, it is going to be very, very difficult for the Premier League to make it amazing for everyone.

"That's obvious. I can also ask why Aston Villa played against Liverpool in the FA Cup. But Aston Villa doesn't play against me tomorrow.

"Of course, Aston Villa have very good young players and they played beautiful game against Liverpool. But I would love to play tomorrow against that Aston Villa.

"Why am I not playing them? And you want me now to be crying about that. I'm not crying about that. I'm crying about that fact that we cannot have more matches postponed. We can't."

PA

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham/jose-mourinho-fulham-scott-parker-b1786441.html

WhiteJC

Scott Parker says Premier league are risking Fulham players' safety with rearranged Tottenham clash

The Cottagers boss says a bigger club would never be asked to play at such short notice

A furious Scott Parker has accused the Premier League of risking the safety of his Fulham players in tonight's rearranged fixture at Tottenham and says a bigger club would never have been put in the same position.

Emotions have flared ahead of the London derby, with Parker describing the League's decision to reschedule the game at 48 hours' notice as "scandalous" – but Jose Mourinho claiming Fulham should apologise to Spurs if they field their strongest side.

Tottenham's game at Covid-hit Aston Villa was postponed on Monday morning, with the Premier League announcing that Fulham's trip to north London, which was called off hours before kick-off on December 30 due to a coronavirus outbreak in Parker's squad, would take place tonight instead.

Parker is livid that Fulham were informed of the decision after Saturday's FA Cup tie against QPR, which went to extra-time, and says there is a heightened risk of injuries to his players, many of whom isolated for 10 days before the weekend game.

"This is not an injured player who has been out for 10 days and for three of those days has been on the grass and in the gym," said the Fulham boss.

"For 10 days you are locked in your house. You cannot come out. After that, you are trying to get them to some kind of level to play in the Premier League. There is no denying that it could heighten the injury risk.

"Everything has a consequence. We went 120 minutes at the weekend with players who have been out for 10 days with Covid, bringing them in and working them because you now need to get them up to speed, thinking they then have six days left until your next fixture.

"I understand this season is not ideal. But the way it has been delivered, for me is just unfair.

"Do I believe that this would have happened if this was a top-of-the-table clash? No, I do not," Parker added. "I don't think it should happen to anyone. I do feel that this is very unfair. I do not want to get into: 'is it because we are little old Fulham?' [But] I suppose it's easier for this to happen to us. That's the world."

Parker suggested it was obvious at the end of last week that Villa would be unable to play Spurs and called for the Premier League to be more "proactive", saying their decision was "just too late".

Mourinho, though, had no truck with his counterpart's complaints, having been furious that the original tie was postponed at Fulham's request around three hours before kick-off.

The Spurs manager, who has said clubs should be made to fulfil fixtures if they have just 14 available players, felt the Cottagers had been unwilling to play with a weakened team and predicted Parker would be able to field his strongest XI tonight.

"We played 11 more matches than Fulham since the beginning of the season. Eleven," the Spurs manager said.

"Every week, we played three matches a week. We played in one week four matches. They played Saturday against QPR. In London. They have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the game. If they come with half of the team, I will be the first one to apologise to them. And I will be the first one to say we played this game with an advantage. If they come with their best, I think they should apologise to all of us.

"Come on, let's play football. Let's behave the best we can. Let's protect our industry. Let's protect our image and let's play football.

"We should see their team – their starting line up, their bench and the players not involved in the game – and after that we can all feel sorry for them. Or we can all think that they shouldn't speak. My feeling is just my feeling. It's that they will play with everybody. Maybe one player out. Maximum two. It's just a feeling that I have: the best Fulham will be here, so when we see the best Fulham, then you realise lots of things don't make sense."

Mourinho could welcome back Erik Lamela but Giovani Lo Celso remains sidelined.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-scott-parker-tottenham-player-safety-b869190.html

WhiteJC

Onomah targets regular football with Fulham after recovering from injury

The Nigerian midfielder is hoping to get more game time under his belt in order to help the Cottagers secure positive results

Josh Onomah has revealed his desire to play regularly for Fulham after recovering from injuries which have sidelined him for a major part of the current campaign.

The Anglo-Nigerian suffered a knee injury at the start of the season which ruled him out for more than three weeks, and also suffered a knock in October.

The 23-year-old returned to action for the Craven Cottage outfit on Saturday, in their 2-0 FA Cup third-round victory against Queens Park Rangers, playing for the duration of the game to help his side progress to the next round of the tournament.

Onomah has only made five appearances for Scott Parker's men across all competitions this season due to his injury problems and provided two assists.

The midfielder is delighted with his return for Fulham and has set a target of helping the club secure impressive results.

"I've been working hard for the last two months trying to recover from my injury," Onomah told the club website.

"I want to thank all the staff involved with that, and my teammates, for helping me through that. It was good to get back, especially to do it with a win in the FA Cup, so I was buzzing all around.

"It was crazy playing 120 minutes for my first game back. I loved every minute, it just felt so good to be back out there playing with the lads and helping us get the win.

"As I said, full credit goes to the staff who've helped me over the last couple of months. They've kept me in good nick, and I felt really strong out there.

"My main is to prove to the manager that I'm fit enough to make the 25-man squad. When the opportunity arrives I've got to make sure I take it.

"We've got two games in four days coming up so I'm just looking to be available and up for selection. I'll be ready whenever the gaffer needs me to try and do my part and help the team get some points."

Onomah started his career with Tottenham Hotspur and played 13 league games for the club before leaving the side to team up with Fulham permanently in the summer of 2019.

The Craven Cottage outfit will take on the Lilywhites in their next Premier League game on Wednesday night and the forward is eagerly looking forward to the outing.

"When the fixtures first came out, that was the first team I was looking for. It would be good to play against them, a team that I had been with basically my whole life," he continued.

"It would be quite weird because Tottenham is all I'd known for a long time, but now that Fulham is my home I can't wait to go back there and hopefully come away with a win.

"Both teams have got positive momentum. Spurs have won a few recently but we've been doing well, too.

"Speaking to the lads, everyone is up for it, especially after not playing for a couple of weeks with everything that's happened, so the lads can't wait to get back playing Premier League football."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/onomah-targets-regular-football-with-fulham-after-recovering/77d6680fqg0x1ndbeb3n1y47k

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham

Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks is in line for a third successive league start
TEAM NEWS

Tottenham Jose Mourinho has intimated Harry Winks will again start, while Gareth Bale could make his first league appearance in almost four weeks.

Mourinho is also weighing up whether to recall Erik Lamela following injury, but Giovani Lo Celso remains sidelined.

Fulham head coach Scott Parker reported no fresh injuries after their FA Cup win at the weekend.

Top scorer Bobby Decordova-Reid made a telling contribution from the bench at QPR and is pushing for a recall.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Aston Villa's Covid-19 cases meant Tottenham's fixture was switched on Monday lunchtime so they host Fulham instead of going to Villa Park but I don't think that will make too much difference to Jose Mourinho's side.

They were meant to play the Cottagers at the end of December before that game was postponed, so they will have done their homework already.

Hardly any of the Spurs team who started their win against Marine in the FA Cup on Sunday will start this one. Fulham played their FA Cup tie against QPR on Saturday, so they should be fresh enough too.

Prediction: 2-0

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Tottenham have won 10 of the past 11 Premier League meetings.
    Fulham's most recent victory against Spurs was 1-0 away in March 2013, when Dimitar Berbatov scored against his former club.
    Fulham have not scored more than once in any of their past 13 league trips to Tottenham.

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham have won just two of their past seven league matches, drawing three times and losing twice.
    They have recorded eight victories in their past nine fixtures in all competitions at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, keeping seven clean sheets.
    Spurs have won their last 10 home league matches played on a Wednesday by an aggregate score of 24-3.
    Tottenham are unbeaten in their past seven London league derbies, winning three and drawing four.
    Son Heung-min and Harry Kane have combined for 13 Premier League goals this season - no pair have ever combined for more in a single campaign.
    Kane has scored five goals in three appearances against Fulham.

Fulham

This will be Fulham's first Premier League match since their goalless draw with Southampton on Boxing Day.
    They are unbeaten in five matches in all competitions, including their extra-time FA Cup win over QPR at the weekend.
    Fulham have drawn four successive league games. It's their longest unbeaten top-flight run since a five-match streak between February and April 2013.
    The Cottagers have lost their 13 most recent Premier League London derbies - an all-time record losing streak in the top flight.
    Fulham are winless in their last 14 top-flight away matches played on a Wednesday, dating back to 2002.
    Scott Parker made 50 Premier League appearances for Tottenham between 2011-13.
    Parker made four league appearances for Chelsea under Jose Mourinho during the 2004-05 campaign.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55420342

Asotosyios

Quote from: whitejc on January 13, 2021, 12:55:26 AM
spat Scott Parker 'disconnected with real world' as Jose Mourinho insists Fulham boss should APOLOGISE for calling short-notice of Tottenham clash 'scandalous'

EXCLUSIVE

Scott Parker has been labelled out of touch with the real world by talkSPORT host Hugh Woozencroft as Jose Mourinho insisted the Fulham boss should apologise for calling the short-notice of his side's Tottenham fixture 'scandalous'.

Fulham will travel to Spurs on 48 hours' notice this Wednesday as the postponed clash was rescheduled to take place instead of Tottenham's match with Aston Villa, which got pushed back by COVID-19.

The London derby was originally due to take place on December 30 before an outbreak of coronavirus at Fulham meant it was called off just three hours before it was due to kick-off.

While Tottenham knew they had a match this Wednesday, albeit against different opponents, Parker was not expecting to play until Friday against Chelsea, in a match which will now take place on Saturday.

Reacting to the news, the Fulham manager described the short notice of the Spurs fixture as 'scandalous' – and Mourinho was not impressed with his former Chelsea player.

The Spurs boss said: "In relation to Fulham, I think we should wait for tomorrow. We should see their team, their starting line-up, their bench, the players that start, the players on the bench, and the players not involved in the game.

Mourinho was left bewildered by Parker's comments

Meanwhile, talkSPORT presenter Woozencroft was also disappointed with Parker's comments given how the rest of the world has been forced to react to the ever-changing COVID-19 crisis.

"Football is showing, once again, it is disconnected with the real world," Woozencroft said.

"It's been months now and we all know how flexible we have to be, those of you with children out there understand that because earlier on this month you were told, with less than 24 hours notice, that you would have to be homeschooling your kids off to school.

"So we should all get it by now, but clearly we don't, because Scott Parker is so annoyed at being given two days to prepare for a match.

"Clearly he doesn't understand what people are going through, because it's a privilege to play football and he should be absolutely delighted that he's got a game to play.

"What does he want? Would he want it to be forfeited? At least he's got a chance of playing the match."

https://talksport.com/football/816658/
Mourinho is being Mourinho, nothing new here. That talkSport guy though, is he for real? Did he even hear what Parker said? Unbelievable!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

WhiteJC

Could Fulham's transfer deadline day trolley dash be their salvation this time around?

Fulham's decision to spend heavy on deadline day appeared to repeat mistakes of the past - but it seems to be paying off

It felt as though the warnings from history had been ignored. Not once, in fact, but twice. Come the Premier League transfer deadline day, Fulham signed three players. On its Football League equivalent, they added one more.

It took the tally of the new arrivals to 11. This was Fulham, that byword for bad buying, the club who spent £100 million in the summer of 2018 and who beat a swift and ignominious return to the Championship. Had they learnt nothing?

Three months on, different conclusions can be drawn. Perhaps the problem in the past was not a policy of buying, but who they bought and how they fitted in. Now Fulham's deadline-day dash may have looked more a case of desperation than inspiration but it has produced their chance of salvation.

Their revival may not rank as a dramatic one. They upset the odds to defeat Leicester but only have two league wins this season and one was against West Bromwich Albion. But a side who seemed simple to beat are now altogether harder opponents, even if the progress is not reflected in the table. They have drawn their last four league games. Their next three are against Tottenham, Chelsea and Manchester United and after that, they may look relegation fodder again.

As it is, Fulham are still in the drop zone. And yet since their December defeat at Manchester City – a respectable 2-0, not the thrashing that might have been forecast a few weeks earlier – they have conceded the fewest goals in the Premier League. An asterisk can be attached to that statistic: COVID postponements mean they have also played the fewest games.

But it amounts to improvement after their shambolic start to the season; their prospects would be better but for some entertainingly hopeless penalty taking. A new defensive unit, with deadline-day recruits Tosin Adarabioyo and Joachim Andersen installed at centre-back and the latter a rare loanee wearing the captain's armband plus the borrowed goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, has brought some solidity. Each has justified his signing. Scott Parker's leftfield gambit to reinvent Bobby Decordova-Reid as a right wing-back has been justified as he has combined energy with goals.

When so many join at the last minute, it is harder to maintain it is a masterplan, but it highlights how the underestimated Parker has shown his capacity to adapt to changing circumstances, forging a team from his squad of strangers, using the late injection of more quality. His last league line-up, who held Southampton on Boxing Day, featured six summer signings, plus a loanee acquired permanently, in Harrison Reed, and a player who had returned to the club after being lent out, in Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa. It included only two who started the season in the team: Reed and Ivan Cavaleiro, and both of them have been benched in the meantime.

Plans have been jettisoned. The talismen Tom Cairney and Aleksandar Mitrovic have been dropped. Ademola Lookman, Decordova-Reid and Cavaleiro have offered a different way of attacking, even if a return of two goals from their last five games suggests Fulham require more incision to turn draws into wins.

But they have inverted footballing logic. The received wisdom is that some of the promoted teams who survive do so with continuity and understanding. Fulham have ripped up the core of their team but those early-season showings, conceding three goals in the first hour each to Arsenal and Aston Villa and four to Leeds, indicated they – and their defence in particular – simply were not good enough. Now they have conceded fewer goals than Manchester United.

Others who beat the drop have the momentum to make swift starts; Fulham, in contrast, were awful in September. Some have defined and different styles of play, like Sheffield United last season; not Fulham. Still more land their first-choice targets and get their business done early; not Fulham.

They may be breaking every rule in the survival manual. It might not be enough to rescue their season but their frantic dealing has provided hope. And, perhaps, reasons for others to emulate them on deadline day next season.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/could-fulhams-transfer-deadline-day-trolly-dash-be-their-salvation-this-time-around

WhiteJC

Premier League stars warned over goal celebrations by government amid covid crisis

Premier League players have been told to withdraw from celebrating in groups as the country battles the coronavirus and remains in lockdown

Government officials have again asked Premier League players to curb their celebrations to limit social contact.

A recent rise in coronavirus cases has again tested the country's resources and resulted in a third lockdown.

Elite sport though has been allowed to continue, but greater responsibilities have been placed upon it.

Even clubs have seen a spike in cases that has meant games have been postponed, some at the eleventh hour.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam when questioned admitted that all social contact is "avoidable" and wants to see footballers taking that seriously.

He said: "I completely agree with you (that footballers shouldn't come together for celebrations).

"We are in a very dangerous place now... This is like saying I'm building a big perimeter fence around my property so that the baddies can't get in.

"But you can't celebrate that when you've put three posts in and two sections of fence - or maybe a bit more in the case of the NHS so far. Because people just go round the fence.

"You've got to build the whole fence. And we cannot relax until we've got a very substantially vaccinated population.

"And until then, we are in a dangerous place... Every close human contact that is avoidable should be avoided because one in three of us will get the infection and have no symptoms at all.

"So I'm afraid, yes, on the football point, on the sporting point, I do agree with you."

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has previously weighed in on the debate despite being in favour of football continuing.

He has though asked that players respect the rules and "act like they've got the virus".

He said: "I think elite sport is important because these are tough times, and being able to watch the football on the telly is really important because there's loads of things that you can't do, and watching it from the comfort of your own home is a perfectly safe activity.

"I know that the Premier League really think hard about this.

"It's important that it is carried out in a way that is respectful of the rules.

"Now of course they have special arrangements to ensure that the players are safe and they have a testing regime, but I do think that it's important that everybody respects, not just the letter but the spirit of the rules because it's actually the spirit of the rules that's important, which is don't pass on the disease, act as if you've got it and then you won't pass it on to others."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-players-celebrations-covid-23310431

WhiteJC

Jose's five-point preview - Fulham

Jose Mourinho looks forward to this evening's Premier League clash against Fulham at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Kick-off is 8.15pm.

Last word on Marine

First up, a quick reflection on a special FA Cup third round occasion at Marine on Sunday...

Jose: "It was good. We won, we gave a good image of the Club and the professionalism of our players. As a Club, I believe everything we did for them shows our dimension. They were proud, and everyone who plays at their level felt some pride in the way they represented that level because they lost, but they competed. Overall, it was a very good FA Cup match."

Team news

The latest news on the squad...

Jose: "Honestly, I think only Gio Lo Celso is out. Apart from that, I believe maybe Bergwijn, maybe Lamela, maybe they have a chance to be back."

Fulham

After a tough start, Fulham have found form, four unbeaten in the Premier League and a 2-0 win at QPR on the FA Cup on Saturday...

Jose: "In this moment it's difficult to play against them. To defend the way they do with five in the back, and sometimes a second line of four, other times with three, is not easy to score goals against them, that's obvious. Then they have different ways of being dangerous. One thing is to be dangerous with Mitrovic, another thing is to be dangerous without Mitrovic, and they are good in these different situations. They can counter-attack well, they can arrive in crossing positions and create difficulties. They are a good team, they transformed a little bit their philosophy, they understood how to change, and they did it. They are having results, and it's going to be difficult."

Scotty

Scott Parker spent a season at Chelsea under Jose before moving onto Newcastle, West Ham, Spurs (2011-13) and Fulham. He later managed our Under-18s before re-joining Fulham as coach, and now manager. Jose was asked in his press conference what he's made of his career as a manager...

Jose: "Very happy, he was a great guy, a great professional, a team player. When he decided to go to Newcastle to play more than he was playing with us, that showed his character, that showed his personality and after that he had a very good career in the Premier League and the national team. Then he went back to Fulham on his learning process as a coach, progressively got the job, and what can you say? He got promotion, and after promotion, he is showing also that is very capable of giving them the stability to stay in the Premier League. I like him very much, he knows that, I don't hide it, and he feels it, so I am very happy with the good things he is doing."

Keeping it clean

It may be slightly under the radar, but we've now kept nine clean sheets in our last 15 games, and 11 in our last 20 - that matches last season's total in all competitions...

Jose: "Yes, and we have to try for one more, because clean sheets help us get results. The most important thing is to win matches, but I understand that the clean sheet shows organisation, shows commitment. It's a good feeling not just for the keepers, but for the whole team. That helps you to win matches, but we need to score goals."

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2021/january/joses-five-point-preview-fulham/

WhiteJC

Report from Europe claims Anderlecht want to loan Fulham star Aleksandar Mitrovic

According to a report in Voetbal24, Anderlecht are keen on bringing Fulham star Aleksandar Mitrovic in on loan this month.

This comes just days after EuroSport claimed that Fulham are ready to listen to offers for the Serbian striker.

It's fair to say that Mitrovic has been off the pace this season, he's only scored two league goals for Fulham, and he's rarely seen in the starting XI these days, starting just one league game in the past two months.

Unfortunately, it seems as though Mitrovic is out of favour at the Whites, which is a real shame considering his goals fired them to promotion last season.

Mitrovic, of course, has played for Anderlecht before, so he may not be opposed to a return to Belgium, and perhaps even more interestingly, he was due to re-join the Belgian outfit on deadline day in 2018, before Fulham's late swoop saw him join the Cottagers.

Mitrovic certainly has history in Belgium, and he's scored plenty of goals there in the past, so this sort of move could be exactly what he needs to rediscover some of the confidence he seems to have been lacking in recent weeks.

From Fulham's perspective, loaning out their only recognised number nine without getting a replacement in first makes very little sense, but with links to Dwight Gayle still circulating, they may soon have a Mitrovic replacement through the door.

It remains to be seen whether or not the ex-Newcastle United man heads out this month.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/01/13/report-from-europe-claims-anderlecht-want-to-loan-fulham-star-aleksandar-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Jose Mourinho's Comments Will Have Fired Up Fulham – Former Premier League Winger

Former Premier League striker Gabriel Agbonlahor has insisted that Jose Mourinho's incendiary comments are likely to fire up the Fulham players for tonight's clash against Tottenham Hotspur.

The Premier League arranged Tottenham's visit to Fulham tonight at short notice and that left Scott Parker fuming about the way the game was arranged.

The Fulham boss pointed out that his squad just returned from isolation and he could have approached the FA Cup game at the weekend differently had he known what his side would do on Wednesday night.

Mourinho has hit back at Parker's complaints and suggested that Fulham should tender an apology if they field their best team tonight after their moaning.

Agbonlahor conceded that Fulham players must be seething at the moment for the way they are being treated and stressed that they could use Mourinho's words to further motivate themselves.

He believes the Fulham have real motivation to pull off an upset win against Tottenham and see how the Spurs boss reacts if his side get beaten.

The former striker said on talkSPORT: "If I was in their position now, I'd be fuming as a Fulham player.

"Your manager is probably getting you into meetings saying, we are going to beat them tonight because of what happened and because of Jose Mourinho's words.

It is going to lift your game as a player and you'd be thinking, let's go and beat these tonight and upset Spurs.

"And then afterwards, let's see what Jose Mourinho has got to say then.

That would spur me on tonight."

Parker indicated that the Premier League would not have treated his team the same way if they were one of the heavyweights of the league.

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/01/13/jose-mourinhos-comments-will-have-fired-up-fulham-former-premier-league-winger/489581/

WhiteJC

'I'd be fuming': Pundit explains why Fulham will beat Tottenham; it will be Mourinho's fault

A fired-up Fulham have every chance of beating Jose Mourinho's Tottenham Hotspur in Wednesday night's re-scheduled Premier League clash, Gabby Agbonlahor told talkSPORT (9.15am, 12 January).

In these strange and unsettled times, nothing is set in stone; not even the fixture schedule.

Tottenham were slated to face Aston Villa in midweek but, thanks to a sudden COVID outbreak at the Midland giants, it is now Fulham who will be travelling to North London instead.

Cottagers boss Scott Parker was far from impressed with what he deemed a 'scandalous' decision, pointing out that his players have had just two days to prepare for a daunting trip to one of the division's most fearsome sides.

It wasn't long before the fork-tongued Mourinho responded, of course, with all the subtlety of a herd of rodeo bulls at Antiques Roadshow.

"If they come with half of the team, I will be the first one to apologise to them. And I will be the first one to say we played this game with an advantage. If they come with their best (team), I think they should apologise to all of us," Mourinho said, via the Standard.

"Come on, let's play football. Let's behave the best we can. Let's protect our industry. Let's protect our image and let's play football."

But former Aston Villa captain Agbonlahor believes Mourinho may regret stirring the pot, tipping the unfancied Fulham to upset the applecart and pull off one of this season's most surprising results.

"If I'm those Fulham players, or Scott Parker, there's no better way to get up for this game. And I fancy them to upset Spurs tonight and get a result," Agbonlahor said.

"And if I was in this position now, as a Fulham player, I'd be fuming. The manager is probably getting you into meetings saying; 'We're going to beat these tonight', because of Jose Mourinho's words.

"It's going to lift you up for a game. As a player, you're going to be thinking; 'Let's go and beat these and see what Mourinho has to say afterwards'.

"That would spur me on."

A much-improved and suddenly well-drilled Fulham are unbeaten in their last four Premier League matches and took four points off Leicester City and Liverpool recently.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/01/13/id-be-fuming-pundit-explains-why-fulham-will-beat-tottenham-it-will-be-mourinhos-fault/

WhiteJC

Giovani Lo Celso blow gives Jose Mourinho a new Spurs headache

Tottenham Hotspur are still without star midfielder Giovani Lo Celso ahead of their clash with Fulham this evening, as manager Jose Mourinho revealed in his pre-match press conference.

When asked about the latest on the €60m (£55m) maestro, he told reporters, via football.london:

"He's injured. For a few weeks."

Early diagnosis before the New Year was that Lo Celso would miss their first few games of 2021, but now it looks as if he will be out for the remainder of the month.

It hands Mourinho one massive nightmare in terms of selection, even more so following their performance in the FA Cup third-round on Sunday night.

There are really only two names that can step up in the no.10 role – Tanguy Ndombele and Dele Alli, now both have had their controversies since the Special One took the helm in November 2019.

The Frenchman, who cost a club-record £55m, was heavily out-of-favour last term but has since turned that around to become a regular starter this season having started 12 of 15 league matches.

However, he's still not able to complete a full 90-minute match too often. Indeed, he has only done so three times from 22 appearances in all competitions, which is hardly what you need from your superstar signing.

And then there is Dele Alli, who has almost done the reverse of Ndombele. His career looked to benefit from the arrival of Mourinho as he contributed towards six goals in Spurs' first four Premier League games under his management.

Things have tailed off since as the 24-year-old hasn't even made the matchday squad in ten of their 16 league outings, playing a total of just 74 minutes all season.

Against non-league minnows Marine in the cup on Sunday, he ran the show as we outlined here, so it now gives Mourinho something to mull over ahead of tonight's encounter with Fulham.

Does he stick with Alli – after all it was only an eighth-tier side – or does he return to Ndombele, knowing he's unlikely to play the full 90? It's one major call to make.

Had Lo Celso been fit, then you'd imagine he'd be the one starting over either of the pair.

https://www.footballfancast.com/tottenham-hotspur-news/giovani-lo-celso-injury-latest-update-blow-dele-alli-tanguy-ndombele-selection-jose-mourinho-dilemma-analysis-statistics-premier-league-gossip-rumours-news

WhiteJC

Pereira nets late penalty as Luton U21s defeat Fulham
Town emerge victorious against Cottagers

A last-gasp penalty from attacker Dion Pereira saw Luton Town U21s run out 2-1 winners against Fulham in a friendly this afternoon.

The Hatters fielded goalkeeper Harry Isted for the match, along with Corey Panter, Sam Beckwith and TQ Addy.·

A goalless first half saw Isted made a good low save, with Town then going closest when Beckwith's left-footed drive cannoned off the outside of the post.

Moments after the break, Addy's cross was turned in by a Fulham defender to put Town in front.

Although the Cottagers equalised, Pereira was on target with the late spot-kick to ensure Luton were victorious.

Hatters: Harry Isted, Avan Jones, Aidan Francis, Corey Panter, Joseph Halsey, Sam Beckwith, Jake Peck (c), Ed McJannet, Dion Pereira, John Allen, TQ Addy.

Subs: Jameson Horlick, Ben Tompkins, Callum Nicolson, Ben Stevens, Casey Pettit.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/pereira-nets-late-penalty-luton-u21s-defeat-fulham-3095464