watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

a forward short of a win

Started by ALG01, January 13, 2021, 10:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

if TK would get off sitting on his hands we could win games we have been drawing like this one tonight.

spurs were there for the taking, if we got a proper forward we would give ourselves a brilliant chance of racing up the table.

I hope TK knows he is playing russian roulette once again.

jayffc

If TK hadnt not been sat on his hands all summer we wouldnt have stood a chance of coming close to a point tonight. The fact he brought in 8 fantastic players this summer (Areola, Tete, Aina, Anderson, Tosin, Robinson Lemina and Reed)  plus kept hold of Anguissa (our best player in years). Literally the only potentiall "dud" so far is RLC who shows glimmers of promise here and there and may yet go on to turn it around.

That's an alarmingly good window... but people are still moaning that hes not done enough or acted early enough for their liking....like hes deliberately swanning about unaware that we might need a striker and telling teams that hes enquired with not to bother rushing through the sales of their players as wed rather just wait till the last day of the window ya know,  just cos .

No credit given to him for the fact he absolutely smashed the summer window out the ball park. 8 out of 9 signings an overwhelming success- 1 that could still come good so could yet be9 out of 9!How often do playoff promoted clubs make that sort of level of consistancy in their signings. 

We are 2 points off safety with 2 games in hand and then game against the team above us coming up, give it a rest man.
The club knows we need a striker, they're not thick and I've no doubt they'll be mid enquiries and offers with a number of targets. I'm confident well get one come the end of the window...but for now were competing really well against top teams, no need to rush and buy our 6th or 7th choice target when we could land someone much more likely to do what we need whi may not be available till late in the window- and if the summers anything to go by well be doing our best to make sure it's one on the level of those we have already signed.

Congrats to the board, they have assembled a team more than capable of staying up, now they just need to add the final piece or 2, Rome wasnt built in a day. And congrats to Scott Parker who'm I had doubted for a while given the many underwhelming performances wed seen last year...the team look in good shape, finally have a semblance of fight and quality about them,and our defence is extremely solid,...Also we have the best keeper weve had since Van Der Sar and just drew with Spurs away and all you got to say is.....Bloody Tony Khan .... beggars belief

ALG01

Quote from: jayffc on January 13, 2021, 11:11:36 PM
If TK hadnt not been sat on his hands all summer we wouldnt have stood a chance of coming close to a point tonight. The fact he brought in 8 fantastic players this summer (Areola, Tete, Aina, Anderson, Tosin, Robinson Lemina and Reed)  plus kept hold of Anguissa (our best player in years). Literally the only potentiall "dud" so far is RLC who shows glimmers of promise here and there and may yet go on to turn it around.

That's an alarmingly good window... but people are still moaning that hes not done enough or acted early enough for their liking....like hes deliberately swanning about unaware that we might need a striker and telling teams that hes enquired with not to bother rushing through the sales of their players as wed rather just wait till the last day of the window ya know,  just cos .

No credit given to him for the fact he absolutely smashed the summer window out the ball park. 8 out of 9 signings an overwhelming success- 1 reasonable could yet be90l! How often do playoff promoted clubs make that sort of level of consistancy in their signings. 

We are 2 points off safety with 2 games in hand and then game against the team above us coming up, give it a rest man.
The club knows we need a striker, they're not thick and I've no doubt they'll be mid enquiries and offers with a number of targets. I'm confident well get one come the end of the window...but for now were competing really well against top teams, no need to rush and buy our 6th or 7th choice target when we could land someone much more likely to do what we need whi may not be available till late in the window- and if the summers anything to go by well be doing our best to make sure it's one on the level of those we have already signed.

Congrats to the board, they have assembled a team more than capable of staying up, now they just need to add the final piece or 2, Rome wasnt built in a day. And congrats to Scott Parker who'm I had doubted for a while given the many underwhelming performances wed seen last year...the team look in good shape, finally have a semblance of fight and quality about them,and our defence is extremely solid,...Also we have the best keeper weve had since Van Der Sar and just drew with Spurs away and all you got to say is.....Bloody Tony Khan .... beggars belief

we needed a forward, it was obvious and we didn't get one. what the boards did was scandalous in terms of not assembling a poroper squad. if we don't get a forward soon we are way more likely to go down. to remind you we are sitting in the bottom three and we are fairly toothless in front of goal.

thinking playing without a forward line is a good thing is what beggars belief.

hopper

No credit given to him for the fact he absolutely smashed the summer window out the ball park. 8 out of 9 signings an overwhelming success- 1 that could still come good so could yet be9 out of 9!How often do playoff promoted clubs make that sort of level of consistancy in their signings. 

+1 very well put

Baszab

However well they've done in assembling the squad - still need to win games and that requires forwards
We don't have enough forwards to score enough goals
Need further investment so the good work to date is not wasted
No shame or "slagging off" meant - just realistic

JoelH5

Well said. End of thread!
I was there, standing in the Putney end

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ALG01 on January 13, 2021, 10:48:21 PM
if TK would get off sitting on his hands we could win games we have been drawing like this one tonight.

spurs were there for the taking, if we got a proper forward we would give ourselves a brilliant chance of racing up the table.

I hope TK knows he is playing russian roulette once again.

Tony Khan is THE BEST DOF IN THE WORLD to solve our current problems. Our Two Problem's are simple i) "find money we don't have for a striker" (DOF needs to steal it from Tony Khans inheritance) and ii) "find a way not to ruin next seasons FFP budget". Only a DOF that can solve those two problems has any chance of buying a striker.

Frankly, very few DOFs could solve the first problem apart from a Khan, but the second problem is a financial problem also that is possibly unsolvable for any DOF even TK with decent accounting skills. FFP means once a team spends its money they cannot then spend more, unless we cheat by the DOF valuing Seri at £10m and Knockaert at £10m too, but those valuations will horrifically hurt us next season, as we will sell them for less.

jayffc

Let's be real....in the summer our main priority and talking point was not conceding goals and revamping the defence. It was the number 1 target to not repeat last prem seasons mistakes. We did that, unequivocally. We also added an extremely good attacking player in Lookman and another who looked a great option on paper (RLC) who many of us thought would do more then he has.

At that point we still had Mitro to lead the line who has been such a big player for us, and  was still scoring well at international level. In the summer most of us were saying we should get a backup striker and were disappointed we didnt. Now with hindsight we are all 1000% sure we should have signed a starting striker. Fact is it's not always a breeze to assemble a complete squad in 1 window. What we did was nothing short of remarkable in terms of success rate, and we did it on a tight budget which means hopefully now have enough left over to improve even further and solidly the full starting 11.

Again, yes, we are in the bottom 3, but with everything in our hands....2 points off, playing well, 2 games in hand...then a game against Brighton the team above us. There is no reason with this team as it is, that we cant be above them by the time our match with them is over.

If in that time we manage to find a top striker then fantastic. But I'm confident enough in what I'm seeing from this team that I'd sooner not rush buy a striker were not so hot on, and instead stick to our main targets that we think give us the best chance of winning games and laying the foundation for next season. I trust this team enough that they can win a number of games in the latter part of the season if we bring in the right forwards this window. But it needs to.be the right forward and reality is, as stated over and over by agents, managers and dof's alike...often those deals go to the wire. Like it or not.
Just try to enjoy the moment...we just earned a great point away from home at a top club...
Well done to everyone at the the club

H4usuallysitting

Khan's out....who do they think they are... improving our team, improving our stadium, and improving our training facilities - who do they think they are

Arthur

I read this evening that Slimani has left Leicester.

It could be said that a 32-year-old striker who, though not without a track record and P.L. experience, has been out of sorts this season (just a solitary substitute's appearance) is the type of forward we should aiming to grab for a quick fix. What chance, however, when the player has the opportunity to go to a club such as Lyon?

But, no, it must be easy to go out a pick up a striker good enough for our needs. Lyon clearly must have overlooked a host of better strikers who are waiting to be snapped up and, instead, made a signing that, for a club of their standing, can only be looked upon as inexplicable.

ALG01

Quote from: jayffc on January 13, 2021, 11:50:49 PM
Let's be real....in the summer our main priority and talking point was not conceding goals and revamping the defence. It was the number 1 target to not repeat last prem seasons mistakes. We did that, unequivocally. We also added an extremely good attacking player in Lookman and another who looked a great option on paper (RLC) who many of us thought would do more then he has.

At that point we still had Mitro to lead the line who has been such a big player for us, and  was still scoring well at international level. In the summer most of us were saying we should get a backup striker and were disappointed we didnt. Now with hindsight we are all 1000% sure we should have signed a starting striker. Fact is it's not always a breeze to assemble a complete squad in 1 window. What we did was nothing short of remarkable in terms of success rate, and we did it on a tight budget which means hopefully now have enough left over to improve even further and solidly the full starting 11.

Again, yes, we are in the bottom 3, but with everything in our hands....2 points off, playing well, 2 games in hand...then a game against Brighton the team above us. There is no reason with this team as it is, that we cant be above them by the time our match with them is over.

If in that time we manage to find a top striker then fantastic. But I'm confident enough in what I'm seeing from this team that I'd sooner not rush buy a striker were not so hot on, and instead stick to our main targets that we think give us the best chance of winning games and laying the foundation for next season. I trust this team enough that they can win a number of games in the latter part of the season if we bring in the right forwards this window. But it needs to.be the right forward and reality is, as stated over and over by agents, managers and dof's alike...often those deals go to the wire. Like it or not.
Just try to enjoy the moment...we just earned a great point away from home at a top club...
Well done to everyone at the the club

actually, and not to start a foolish argument. Most informed and intelligent opinion suggested we needed a new defence AND forwards. we only got last minute defenders when we were being ripped to shreds at the start of the season and now we are desparate for a forward line that we were also desparate for. having only and injured/out of form (or whatever else is wrong with him, Mitro was never going to work.

Unfortunately the amazing defence of the DoF is a bit like a defeated presedent saying he won when he lost. the defence is good but the squad remains thread bare at the other end. not scoring goals will in the end see us relegated... the last five draws are proof of that. good not to loose, good to perform well, but any team know that we are toothless. TK needs to get a forward ir two in quick. it is as simple as that.

Radiowhite

0001.jpeg
Just had a brilliant performance and you want to make a thread to moan

ALG01

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 13, 2021, 11:56:24 PM
Khan's out....who do they think they are... improving our team, improving our stadium, and improving our training facilities - who do they think they are

they are amateurs unfortunately. otherwise we would have a forward line and would have kept slav and let him arrange the transfer policy two seasons ago.
the defence of TK is staggering in the speed its volume, lack of substance and the lack of clarity... we need forwards despartely, points are slipping away as a result and we are in the bottom three as a result. if we get a couple of forwards, half decent but at least some proper forards, even if they do not work out, then at least we woll have tried to assmble a proper squad, as it is we are playing russian roulette.

Arthur

Quote from: ALG01 on January 14, 2021, 12:21:42 AM
actually, and not to start a foolish argument. ... not scoring goals will in the end see us relegated... the last five draws are proof of that.

If we were to average a point a game to the end of the season and Brighton were to replicate their form up to now, we would stay up.

Proof?

And you say you don't want to start a foolish argument.

Somerset Fulham

Yep.

jayffc

Quote from: ALG01 on January 14, 2021, 12:26:00 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 13, 2021, 11:56:24 PM

they are amateurs unfortunately. otherwise we would have a forward line and would have kept slav and let him arrange the transfer policy two seasons ago.
the defence of TK is staggering in the speed its volume, lack of substance and the lack of clarity... we need forwards despartely, points are slipping away as a result and we are in the bottom three as a result. if we get a couple of forwards, half decent but at least some proper forards, even if they do not work out, then at least we woll have tried to assmble a proper squad, as it is we are playing russian roulette.

I was one of those who would like to have signed forwards too in the summer but I can appreciate fairly obviously the biggest priority was completely replacing our defence. Which we did with unbelievable success...how many other clubs can say they bought an entire new defence in one window and none of them were a failure.

Yes theres more work to do...and the interviews released from the club suggest we know that and are working on it...so just stop.

Were back in the prem where many other clubs have fallen without a trace and performing well against top clubs, it's really not such a catastrophe and not the work of hapless amateurs. This is the most entertained I've been by a fulham team in a while.

To measure our success you have to consider where we started and just how far weve come...there was ALOT of work to do...and weve gone a huge way to remedying it...now theres a few more touches and it's been made very clear by Scott and the club that that is the focus now.

Were mid window right now. Stop acting like it's a foregone conclusion were not gonna bring anyone in, why do people assume complete idiocy all the time when theres plenty to suggest were looking at the front line in this window...just sit it out till the end of the window and save the whinging until then. If we fail to sign forwards by then I'll be the first along with you saying they messed up and it could cost us.
If we were cut adrift and bottom of the table I might be more inclined to agree with you but were performing really well , easily in touching distance and theres half a season left with us improving all the time.

I just dont get the constant clinging to negativity.
thank god the club dont change their plans and sign anyone just for the sake of appeasing negative impatient folk on football boards. They've earnt my patience, last year they gave Scott a squad more than capable of promotion....we achieved it. Again this Summer they recruited really well and we could be on course to achieve our goal again. The window is still open let's see what we get in....but it's in our hands. That reason enough for me to trust that they are learning lessons and things are improving.

Again....this team as it is nearly beat Liverpool (deserved to), Beat Liecester, drew with Spurs, has been cheated out of multiple wins by VAR (let's not underplayed that, we really have been screwed by VAR a number of times this year.) Enough now. Find some patience and if come the end of the season we didnt add a forward and it sends us down I'll be on the front line with you saying they really ballsed up.

Statto

Yes the players TK signed this summer have turned out good on the whole, and I'm generally prepared to give him credit for that, but it comes with a few caveats.

Firstly, when we say good, in some cases we mean 'good... value for money'. If Aina, Robinson and maybe even Tosin had come with the expectation of a £15-£20m price tag I've a feeling we'd be saying they were average to poor signings. The fact we couldn't afford £15-£20m players this time around was because TK put us in such a deep hole in 18/19, we're still digging our way out.

Second, this is the fifth year since TK took control of transfers from Rigg, so whilst I'm hoping it's a sign that he's improving, the concern is it may just be down to the principle that even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. Let's see.

Finally, and most pertinently, there are several metrics on which you can score transfers - not just the quality of the player, and value for money against the fee paid, but also the timing. It's better to sign a 8/10 player early and have him for 38 games, than to sign a 9/10 player on the last day of the window and only have him for 33 games, with a 1/10 like Tim Ream playing the other 5 games (do the maths on those numbers). I can forgive TK for thinking in the summer that Cavaleiro, Mitrovic, Lookman and Reid would be enough up front, but at least one of the CBs should have been signed sooner and I think it unquestionable that the delay cost us several points.

In this window the glaring need is for a forward and again, if we leave it to the last day of the window, it will probably cost us points, most likely in the West Brom and Brighton games,

Matt10

We were also playing a completely different system in the summer and early part of the season. It wasn't until the Leicester match that Parker committed to the change in style. Our forward, Mitrovic, didn't start until Newcastle, in which we had already been in full flow of the new system.

Now the system is rock solid and everyone is up to speed. Our true forward at this moment is Cavaleiro - who scored a crucial goal tonight. He's got the momentum from here on out and I'm sure Mitro is ready to reclaim that spot, not to mention gunning for RLC's spot when he's the second forward - like he was tonight in the 3-5-2.

What we need now is the depth that will push those players further. Is that going to come from Mitro, Onomah, Kamara, Cairney and Kebano? Throw into the mix that BDR vs RLC is now a reality because Cav won't be dropped, and Tete has reclaimed the RWB spot. Not to mention Lookman surely won't be touched. So understanding that, who can truly be thrown into the equation?

LC

We need a striker so bad, I was hoping we would get Callum Wilson in the summer but I think we were priced out of a move.

Realistically we're looking for a player to come in on loan with an option if we stay up. Or maybe players whose contracts expire in the summer or players that just aren't playing or free agents.

Either way we need someone in. I like Arkadiusz Milik (contract up in the summer) and Alfredo Morelos (up and down season and the manager mentioned earlier in the season that his head has been turned). I don't think any of the players in the championship that have been mentioned here will be available on loan and I think the above two could be done

Favershampaul

0001.jpeg