Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 16/01/21...

Started by WhiteJC, January 16, 2021, 12:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Chelsea

Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante is suspended for the trip to Fulham
TEAM NEWS

Fulham forward Aleksandar Mitrovic has returned to light training and could be available again, having missed Wednesday's draw with Tottenham.

Mario Lemina and Tom Cairney are unavailable because of illness and a knee problem respectively.

Chelsea defenders Reece James and Andreas Christensen have both recovered from injuries.

Midfielder N'Golo Kante, who has been nursing a hamstring strain, will be absent anyway because of suspension.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham have drawn their past five league games, which shows their improvement even if they are still not winning games. They have made themselves far more difficult to beat, and are a lot harder to play against.

Chelsea have hit a bit of a sticky patch in the league so last weekend's FA Cup win over Morecambe will have given them a bit of a lift.

I'm expecting them to win at Craven Cottage too. I think part of the problem for the Blues was a lack of confidence - a bit like Arsenal when they were on that bad run before Christmas - but lack of ability is not the issue for Frank Lampard's side.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham are without a win in the past 19 meetings in all competitions, all but one of them in the Premier League. They have drawn seven and lost 12.
    Their solitary victory in the 38 most recent encounters came in the Premier League at Craven Cottage in March 2006, when Luis Boa Morte scored the only goal.

Fulham

Fulham could become the first club to draw six consecutive Premier League matches since Manchester City had a run of seven in 2009.
    They haven't gone six top-flight games without defeat since a seven-match streak from the beginning of the 2010-11 season.
    The Cottagers have only conceded three goals in their past six games in all competitions.
    Fulham are winless in 18 Premier League London derbies since beating West Ham on New Year's Day 2014.
    Ademola Lookman has been directly involved in four of Fulham's last six league goals, scoring one and setting up three.

Chelsea

Chelsea have lost four of their past six Premier League games, as many as in their previous 23.
    The Blues could lose four consecutive away league games for the first time since a run of five from October to December 2000.
    Timo Werner scored his first club goal since 7 November against Morecambe last Sunday. However, he is without a goal in his past nine Premier League appearances.
    Frank Lampard scored six Chelsea goals in eight Premier League appearances at Craven Cottage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55583120

WhiteJC

Chelsea Matchday Preview

Fulham v Chelsea | Saturday 16th January 2021 | 5.30pm | Craven Cottage | #FULCHE

The opposition

A comfortable 4-0 win over Morecombe in the Emirates FA Cup saw Chelsea return to winning ways at the weekend, with Timo Werner also back amongst the goals for the first time in 13 matches.
    The Blues have hit a little slump in the Premier League, with just one win in their previous six outings. They had started the campaign terrifically, though, with only Liverpool taking maximum points from them in their opening 11 games.
    This fixture is a repeat of Scott Parker's first game in interim charge of the Whites. His side put in a much improved display that afternoon in early March 2019, with Calum Chambers' strike cancelling out Gonzalo Higuain's opener, only for Jorginho to hit back with a fine winner. Goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga had a stormer for the visitors to keep Fulham from getting a point that day.

Fulham team news

Tom Cairney and Mario Lemina will both be absent again for the Whites, but Parker has said Aleksandar Mitrović has a chance of making a return to the squad. Ruben Loftus-Cheek is ineligible to face his parent club.

Chelsea team news

Aside from the suspended N'Golo Kante, Frank Lampard has a full squad to choose from.

Coverage

The match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports, while commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid is available for FFCtv subscribers.

Player insight

Ola Aina is looking forward to pitting his wits against the team he grew up with.

"I will always have fond memories of Chelsea," he told FFCtv. "I came through the academy, managed to be in a few first team squads and played a few games. I enjoyed my years at Chelsea, made some lifelong friends there.

"London derbies are always something to relish. For me there's that added spice as it's my old club.

"It will be a good challenge to go up against my old club and old teammates, put a performance in for Fulham and myself, and just see how far I've come since leaving that Chelsea setup by putting in a good game."

Form

Fulham: DDDWD

Chelsea: WLDLW

Pre-match quotes

"The weekend's another massive, massive task for us and a big challenge, because Frank and Chelsea, with the quality they possess, they can hurt you."

Scott Parker
Fulham Head Coach

"It's an exciting fixture. I always felt it had an extra edge to it. It has a different relationship to other derbies, Fulham were sometimes in the Premier League, sometimes not, but when they came they had a feeling of wanting to beat us."

Frank Lampard
Chelsea Head Coach

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/Chelsea-Matchday-Preview/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: 'Siege mentality will help Fulham avoid the drop'

Scott Parker believes the "siege mentality" Fulham harnessed for the rearranged Tottenham game can help in their battle to avoid Premier League relegation.

After a disappointing start to the season when they recorded just one point from their opening six matches, the Cottagers are unbeaten in their last five league games.

Parker's men were only given 36 hours' notice that their game against Spurs on Wednesday would go ahead, but they managed to come from behind to secure a point.

And the Fulham boss hopes to use the incident as fuel ahead of a week in which west London rivals Chelsea and current leaders Manchester United visit Craven Cottage.

"It was game on, the players probably didn't have an understanding of how I felt and they didn't need to know that," Parker said.

"Once we got told the game's on, it was 'let's go, let's do what we've got to do'. The players were just coming back in, there was medical staff, physical guys, conversations to start.

"We needed to put everything in place for these players to make sure they perform at a level or some level that we need them to. And of course probably a little bit of a siege mentality – us v them – and use that to our advantage.

"I felt all round that did come out and that was our mindset. It's probably been our mindset for a lot of this year, that's probably how it's going to be for us."

After conceding 10 goals in their opening three league games of the season, and only recording their first clean sheet in November, Fulham have allowed just three goals in their last five matches.

And Parker is happy his side are proving difficult to beat as they battle for survival.

The 40-year-old said: "It's a work in progress. Something I feel is a trait you need in top teams (is) a real mentality and understanding that you're not an easy walkover.

"When teams or people see you as that, it's time you stand up even more. You show those people.

"They're the moments you grow even more and show the fire in your belly, to prove people wrong. That'll be us this year."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/relegation-battle/news/scott-parker-siege-mentality-will-help-fulham-avoid-the-drop_430637.html

WhiteJC

Agent explains client 'shouldn't stay at Fulham' – Two clubs after player's services

Portuguese newspaper Record brings today some updates on the situation of Fulham midfielder Jean Michael Seri.

The outlet managed to speak to the player's agent, who confirmed it's unlikely he'll continue at the Craven Cottage side for much longer.

Franklin Mala first said that the 29-year-old "shouldn't stay at Fulham", and was then asked about Benfica's chances of signing him.

"Nobody from Benfica spoke directly to me, but I think there was something between Benfica and the player", Franklin Mala told Record.

Signed by Nice on a €30m deal back in 2018, Seri's adaptation to Fulham was rough enough for the Cottagers to loan him out to Galatasaray in the last season. Since returning to London in the summer, he only made two appearances, both in the EFL Cup.

Now according to Record, his agent confirms that the Turkish side are one of those who are interested in his transfer again, alongside Benfica.

The newspaper doesn't say how much would Seri cost, although his situation makes it clear that Fulham are not in a place to demand a lot for his move.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/agent-explains-client-shouldnt-stay-fulham-two-clubs-players-services/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Chelsea preview, team news, stats, prediction, kick-off time, live on Sky Sports

Fulham club captain Tom Cairney to miss game with knee injury, Aleksandar Mitrovic may also be absent, Reece James may return but N'Golo Kante suspended; follow Fulham vs Chelsea on Sky Sports Premier League and Main Event from 5pm on Saturday; kick-off 5.30pm

Team news and stats ahead of Fulham vs Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday Night Football, live on Sky Sports; kick-off 5.30pm.

Team news

Fulham manager Scott Parker will be without club captain Tom Cairney for the visit of Chelsea to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Cairney has an issue with his knee and could be joined on the sidelines by Aleksandar Mitrovic, who had a slight problem against QPR on Saturday but has since returned to training.

With the recent return of Kenny Tete, Terence Kongolo and Josh Onomah, Parker's injury list looks shorter than previously, although Mario Lemina is not expected to feature with an unknown problem.

Defenders Reece James and Andreas Christensen will be back in contention for Chelsea.

James is back in training after a thigh injury, while Christensen has shaken off a knee complaint.

N'Golo Kante is set to return to training after a hamstring problem but will still miss the Fulham match through suspension.

How to follow

Fulham vs Chelsea will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Premier League and Main Event from 5pm on Saturday; kick-off at 5.30pm. Sky Sports customers can watch in-game clips in the live match blog on the Sky Sports website and app. Free highlights will also be published on the Sky Sports digital platforms and the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.

Jones Knows prediction

Call me a hipster if you dare, but I was raving about Fulham before all the cool kids jumped on the bandwagon after their 1-1 draw with Tottenham. But like with many mainstream opinions, Scott Parker's team are in danger of becoming slightly overhyped now. Yes, they were fluid and knocked the ball around nicely at Spurs but all the big chances were created by Jose Mourinho's team, racking up an xG figure of 2.58 to Fulham's 1.08.

Now, 6/1 on a home win here is a tempter as Chelsea's record away from Stamford Bridge under Frank Lampard remains woeful for a top-four challenger and taking on Chelsea has proven a profitable angle. However, it's really difficult to see how Fulham, who have only won two of their last 16 Premier League games, will stop Lampard's side down the flanks; an area where Tottenham absolutely battered them on Wednesday night.

Ben Chilwell, Reece James, a rejuvenated Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic are dynamite on the overload and possess the quality to seriously hurt Fulham. Whoever plays centre-forward for Chelsea should get chances to feast on.

JONES KNOWS PREDICTS: 0-2 (6/1 with Sky Bet)

Opta stats
    Fulham have won just one of their 28 Premier League matches against Chelsea (D10 L17), winning 1-0 in March 2006 under Chris Coleman at Craven Cottage.
    In all competitions, Chelsea have lost just one of their last 19 away matches against Fulham (W12 D6) since losing four in a row between 1975 and 1977.
    Among the 373 fixtures to have been played at least 50 times in the English top-flight, the lowest win percentage by a team against an opponent is Fulham vs Chelsea (six per cent), with the Cottagers winning just three of their 50 games against the Blues.
    Fulham's 1-1 draw with Spurs last time out ended a run of 13 consecutive Premier League defeats in London derbies. They last avoided defeat in back-to-back such games during a run of three wins between January-April 2013.
    Chelsea have lost four of their last six Premier League games (W1 D1), as many as they had in their previous 23 in the competition (W14 D5).
    Chelsea lost 1-3 against Manchester City in their first league game of 2021 - they've not started a calendar year with two consecutive league defeats since 1993, with their first defeat in that year being at home against Manchester City.
    Fulham have drawn each of their last five Premier League games, as many draws as they'd had in their previous 45 top-flight matches. The Cottagers last had a longer run of consecutive league draws between December 2006-January 2007 (six).
    Fulham have lost 12 of their last 14 home top-flight London derbies (W1 D1), losing the last seven in a row, a record run by a London team in the top-flight. Manager Scott Parker played in Fulham's last home top-flight London derby win against West Ham in January 2014.
    Scott Parker's first match as Fulham manager was a 1-2 defeat against Chelsea in the Premier League in March 2019. With Frank Lampard in charge of the Blues for this game, this is the first top-flight meeting between the clubs with both having an English manager since December 1967 - Vic Buckingham (Fulham) and Dave Sexton (Chelsea).
    Chelsea's Timo Werner has failed to score in any of his last nine league games, his longest drought in top-flight football since a run of 11 between March-September 2016. The German has played 663 minutes across these nine matches but managed just seven shots on target.

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-chelsea/preview/429019

WhiteJC

'At Chelsea It Was Really Good' - Fulham's Aina Has Fond Memories Of His Time At

In their last Premier League outing, Fulham put up a solid performance against Tottenham Hotspur, holding the north London club to a 1-1 draw despite the late schedule change.

On a personal level, Super Eagles defender Ola Aina impressed for the Cottagers and was praised by the commentators during the game.

The Torino loanee is a key member of the Fulham defence that has conceded three goals, two from penalties, in their last six matches across all competitions - none of which they lost.

Scott Parker's team next face Chelsea at Craven Cottage, a game Aina is looking forward to due to his connection with The Blues.

The Nigeria national teamer spent twelve years at Chelsea before sealing a permanent move to Torino in the summer of 2019.

Speaking to Fulham's official website, Aina said : "I will always have fond memories of Chelsea, going through the academy, managed to be in a few first team squads, managed to play a few games for the first team.

"At Chelsea it was really good, enjoyed there, made some lifelong friends there both players and coaches."

One of Aina's good friends, Ruben Loftus-Cheek is unfortunately ineligible to face his parent club but Aina is available for selection and he's admitted that being a London derby, it has added extra spice to the game.

The Fulham number 34 added : "Of course, London derbies are always something to relish and for me it just added that little spice to it just because it's my old club and I've got a lot of friends there.

"It will be a good challenge to be up against my old club and my old teammates. To see how far I've come since leaving Chelsea, it will be good to get a good game. "

Aina totaled six appearances for Chelsea, including three in the Premier League, before leaving the club.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38623

WhiteJC

Ex-Chelsea's Aina ready to prove a point for Fulham

The Cottagers welcome Frank Lampard's side to Craven Cottage for a London derby on Saturday

Fulham are feeling confident ahead of Saturday's Premier League encounter against Chelsea, according to Ola Aina.

Scott Parker's men are on a five-game unbeaten run in the English top-flight and they are yet to taste defeat since their 2-0 loss to Manchester City on December 5.

Saturday's clash at Craven Cottage reunites Aina with his former club, where he spent over 11 years before he joined Torino permanently in June 2019, and he is hoping to prove a point against Chelsea.

"I will always have fond memories of Chelsea, I came through their academy and managed to play a few games with the first-team," Aina told the club website.

"I enjoyed every minute of my time there and I have lifetime friends there too. London derbies are always something to relish. As for me, it will be a little bit spiced because I will be playing my old club with my old teammates.

"I think they have been in fine form recently but we go into games to get the result. I feel the confidence from the manager and the coaching staff. Come on Saturday, it is going to be the same feeling for me and the team.

"We have got players who are ready to go, that has been the story of our season so far and I think we will prove a point on Saturday."

Since his return to the Premier League on a season-long loan in September, the Nigeria international has been a key figure in the Cottagers' defence.

Aina has played 1170 minutes of football in 13 league appearances, and he has one goal to his name for Fulham, who sit 18th on the league table with 12 points after 16 matches.

He continued: "I'm enjoying my football, and I'm happy to be playing and putting in some consistent performances and also help the team move forward in the league. I'm happy.

"It is a good feeling around the camp, it is good we're not losing. Some good performances we have to build on, I feel like the wins are coming and if we can get a few more wins, we should be good."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/fulhams-aina-ready-to-prove-a-point-against-former-club/1vnvi0lf6xqgy16bmnou39xzyt

WhiteJC

Scott Parker exclusive interview: Premier League lessons and transforming Fulham

Scott Parker tells Sky Sports how a change of culture, shrewd recruitment and tactical adjustments are helping to transform Fulham. Watch Fulham vs Chelsea live on Sky Sports Premier League HD on Saturday; Kick-off 5.30pm

The last few weeks have thrown up numerous challenges for Fulham. A coronavirus outbreak at the training ground. A host of players and staff members sent into isolation. A fixture postponed a few hours before kick-off then rescheduled at two days' notice.

So once the dust had settled on Wednesday night's acrimonious 1-1 draw with Tottenham, did Scott Parker, the manager in the middle of it all, allow himself a moment to sit back and savour an excellent result achieved in difficult circumstances?

He smiles and shakes his head. "I keep telling the players to enjoy the good moments," Parker tells Sky Sports. "There are too many moments in this world currently that are pretty miserable and downbeat, so if there is light at certain times, I want them to enjoy it.

"But as a manager, the turnaround is just too quick. Before you know it, you're back to it. Your mind turns straight to the next game and there's no bigger test than what we've got coming against Chelsea."

In truth, you suspect Parker wouldn't have it any other way.

The 40-year-old was a model professional as a player and he has taken the same qualities into management. His dedication to the job is total. He is a perfectionist right down to his immaculate dress sense. "Care and detail." He uses the phrase repeatedly in his press conference before this interview.

Parker's fastidious approach appears to be paying off for Fulham. There was a rush to write them off after they started the season with five defeats from their first six games following their promotion. Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher said he was certain they would be relegated and he wasn't the only one.

But on Saturday they welcome local rivals Chelsea to Craven Cottage on a six-game unbeaten run. Granted, five of those games have ended as draws and they remain two points from safety. But Fulham suddenly look a very different proposition from the side that slid straight back to the Championship two years ago.

It owes a lot to the change of mentality Parker has implemented since his appointment during the latter stages of that season. Fulham lost every one of their 12 meetings with the Premier League's big six that year but this time around they have already taken points off Liverpool as well as Spurs.

Parker's steeliness and self-belief has rubbed off on them.

"It was a big job at the start, turning the mentality around, but it was also the main driver for me and my staff," he says. "We realised how important it was to change that. As a manager, first and foremost I want a team with a good mentality, a team with character, a team that represents the club and the fans.

"I want that to be a given. I don't want it to be one week, yes, the next week, no. I want it to be constant and that starts with the environment and culture you set around the training ground on a daily basis.

"Are we where I want us to be yet? No. It's a process and there are probably another few levels ahead of us. But we have a group of players here now who have a real mental strength about them."

That mental strength was forged during a gruelling season in the Championship in which Fulham were forced to battle their way through the play-offs after falling short of automatic promotion.

"We did exceptionally well last year but there were some tough, tough times," says Parker. "I remember Brentford away, where we lost 1-0 and the fans were very, very unhappy with our performance against a local rival. There was Luton away, where we drew 3-3 when people expected us to go there and win by numerous goals.

"But it was those moments that really galvanized us. We pulled through and those experiences set us up to deal with what happened at the start of this season. It's just about staying single-minded, trying not to listen too much to the noise, understanding the processes that are in place and continuing to work tirelessly.

"You always worry about how the players are seeing it when you're losing games, so you've got to keep your messages very clear in their minds. 'This is where we're going, this is what we're doing, and this is where we need to get to.' You need results, of course, but constantly having that dialogue has been vitally important."

It was similarly important for the club to learn from their past mistakes in terms of recruitment and squad building.

This summer, instead of the scattergun £100m spending spree that followed their last promotion, Fulham were scrupulous and methodical, spending around a quarter as much but prioritising young players who would fit into the culture Parker has put in place.

Of their 11 signings, eight - Ademola Lookman, Joachim Andersen, Antonee Robinson, Tosin Adarabioyo, Ola Aina, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Harrison Reed and Kenny Tete - are aged 25 or under. Fulham have the second-youngest side in the Premier League as a result. Where there was once panic there is now long-term planning.

"It was very important to change the approach," says Parker.

"I don't know the exact numbers but we must have been down in the bottom three of four in terms of money spent in the summer.

"But a lot of the players who have come into the football club are hungry, and that's the most important ingredient. I stressed that at the end of last season. We want hungry players, players who have a burning ambition to play in the Premier League and stay in the Premier League for years to come.

"I look at the team that faced Tottenham and they probably had around 20 Premier League appearances between them. You've got the seasoned international players like Andersen and [goalkeeper Alphonso] Areola, but a lot of the others are operating at this level for the first time.

"I thought we recruited very, very well for the money we spent. We signed hungry, technically good players who can grow and who have the potential to get better. They have slotted into the environment but there is still loads more to come from them."

Fulham's recent improvement is not just down to personnel and mentality, however. There was also a crucial tactical switch after the 3-2 loss to Everton in November, with Parker sacrificing a forward player for an extra central defender, allowing Fulham to defend with a back five rather than a four.

Fulham have only lost one game out of eight in all competitions since then and that was against Manchester City. Before Harry Kane's header at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Wednesday, they hadn't conceded a goal from open play in 560 minutes.

"The last time we were in this division, we conceded one of the highest totals of goals in Premier League history," says Parker.

"You realise in this division that the quality you face at this level is not even in the same stratosphere as the Championship. The gap between the two divisions, particularly at the top of the pitch, is immense.

"We wanted to be more solid after the start to the season we had and putting in a back five gives you that. You can protect the width of the pitch much better and the gaps between the players are obviously not as big.

"At the same time, though, we didn't want to move away from what I want us to be, and that's a dynamic, front-foot team that has control and is always a threat going forward.

"I didn't want to be us to become a team that plays in a 5-4-1 and just sits off and hopes to hit something on a set play or grab the odd goal on the break.

"So, as much as we wanted to shut the door a little bit, we still want to put our print on the games and we still want to create chances."

Fulham certainly did that against Spurs, playing with impressive verve and ambition in possession and fashioning numerous opportunities before Ivan Cavaleiro headed their equaliser.

The challenge now is to produce more of the same against Chelsea.

"This league is a different animal," says Parker. "It's unforgiving. But I've got a group of players here who are willing to put their hands up when results and performances are bad, and who want to learn and acknowledge where they need to get better.

"We have improved but do we rest here? No. We want to show we belong in this division and we want to win football matches."

Do that on Saturday and after all the upheaval of the last few weeks, perhaps Parker will allow himself a moment to savour it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/12186069/scott-parker-exclusive-interview-premier-league-lessons-and-transforming-fulham

WhiteJC

Chelsea: Three key clashes as Blues look for edge over Fulham

helsea returns to Premier League action with a tougher than it appears match against Fulham. What key clashes will determine the rivalry?

Just as the wheels came off for Chelsea, just a short walk down the road the right settings were found for Fulham. Mind, those settings include five league draws in a row now, but those five points may mean the difference between relegation and survival for Fulham. What key clashes should the Blues look for as they attempt to get back on track by breaking Fulham's streak?

1. A parked bus versus Chelsea's limp attack
Fulham has kept games close all season through a stellar defense and quick counters to steal points. When they lose possession they do not do as the cool kids do and attempt to win it back right away. Instead, the shell up and dare the opponent to break them down.

This is, of course, the exact type of opponent Chelsea has struggled with all season. Without Hakim Ziyech or superb movement between the fullback, midfielder, and winger on the flanks, the Blues get caught into having no incisiveness to their attacks. This was seen as recently as Morecambe before the players finally started rotating to create gaps and players finally started taking shots from outside the box.

That was one of the issues Chelsea had last year too which is exactly why the club got the likes of Ziyech and Kai Havertz. One is expected to pass his way through the parked bus while the other is expected to find the smallest of gaps to exploit. When both play, they are able to do this. When one or the other is missing, they seem to struggle in the absence of the other.

Then there is Timo Werner who seems to struggle any time he doesn't have space to move into. It is probably more likely than not he will start against Fulham as the striker but there is really little reason for him to. Fulham will shell up and leave Werner no space to run into. Giroud could at least link teammates into the play and Tammy Abraham could find pockets of space, but Werner has shown little of either lately.

If Chelsea wants to break Fulham's long run of draws, they will need more of a cutting edge to their attack than they have shown. Unfortunately, Lampard may attempt to do that with one hand tied behind his back if he selects the players he is expected to.

2. A derby that doesn't really feel like one versus expectations
Chelsea versus Fulham is a derby between two clubs practically on top of one another. Except it really doesn't feel like a derby is about to be played. There are numerous reasons for that like Fulham having been in the Championship more often than not as of late but the edge simply isn't there.

At least, that is from the Blues side. Fulham will surely want to win this one at all costs. Derbies like this go on the back burner for clubs like Chelsea but it is front and center for clubs like Fulham. Even if they don't stay up, a win against Chelsea would be a mighty scalp for them.

But that some sense of urgency just doesn't appear to be there on the Chelsea side. A win is almost a must just for Frank Lampard's job security but there doesn't seem to be the same sense of a derby incoming like before playing Arsenal or Spurs.

Perhaps that will play into the Blues' favor though. In recent matches the Blues should have shown basic levels of motivation, the team looked as though they couldn't be bothered. The level of effort put in against Arsenal was appalling and perhaps the occasion weighed down on the team. In that sense, it may be easier for Chelsea to play their game in a derby against Fulham where the expectations don't feel as do or die.

Chelsea will be expected to win. They must for Lampard's sake. But this might be a case where the lack of a sense of urgency helps instead of hurts the Blues.

3. Pragmatism versus idealism
The last time Fulham was in the Premier League, they played an idealistic style that got them relegated. In the Championship, Scott Parker added more pragmatism to their game which saw them promoted when they probably shouldn't have been. If they survive this season which is looking more likely with every point, it will be because of that pragmatism.

Lines have been drawn to compare Parker to Frank Lampard as of late. Compared to Maurizio Sarri, Lampard is a pragmatist but that pragmatism has gotten rarer and rarer this season. Last year when results turned, he would go into a 3-4-3 and revert to basics. This season, in a way, the 4-3-3 was the same adjustment away from the more direct 4-2-3-1.

But since the poor run began, Lampard has stuck to his 4-3-3. In a way, the change which was pragmatic at first has become idealistic for him. The player movements and techniques are supposed to be pristine. The Blues are attempting to beat opponents on talent and ability alone.

All of that is a fine notion, but as the results sour, that is when Lampard should go to what works rather than what might look better or how he wants it to look. Efficiency over aesthetic is the name of the game for teams that achieve and surpass their goals in the Premier League. It is impossible to look good every match week. Even Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp learned there were moments that just had to be survived. It is a notion Lampard had last year that may have been rewarded with Champions League football. It might also be a lesson he needs to learn again.

Parker will have no qualms about his team doing what is necessary to survive. Lampard needs to show that he also has no qualms about just doing what works as the results dip. Maybe that means a formation change or dropping the press and highline. Regardless, Lampard can't afford many more (or, perhaps, anymore) slip ups if he wants to continue into the third year of his contract.

https://theprideoflondon.com/2021/01/15/chelsea-three-key-clashes-blues-look-edge-fulham/

WhiteJC

Aina eager to 'prove a point' against Chelsea

Ola Aina is relishing the opportunity to prove a point against Chelsea on Saturday in the SW6 derby.

The defender, who came through the ranks at Stamford Bridge, has been a revelation since moving to centre back in Scott Parker's new system and has been a big part of Fulham's remarkable defensive improvement. He feels the confidence is growing within Fulham's squad and told FFCTV that he believes the team can battle successfully against the drop this season:

I'm enjoying my football, and I'm happy to be playing and putting in some consistent performances and also help the team move forward in the league. I'm happy. It is a good feeling around the camp, it is good we're not losing. Some good performances we have to build on, I feel like the wins are coming and if we can get a few more wins, we should be good.

Aina, who has made fifteen first-team appearances for Fulham since joining on loan from Torino, admitted that he will always have positive memories of his time in the blue half of SW6, but backs his new team-mates to spring a surprise tomorrow night.

I will always have fond memories of Chelsea, I came through their academy and managed to play a few games with the first-team. I enjoyed every minute of my time there and I have lifetime friends there too. London derbies are always something to relish. As for me, it will be a little bit spiced because I will be playing my old club with my old teammates.

I think they have been in fine form recently but we go into games to get the result. I feel the confidence from the manager and the coaching staff. Come Saturday, it is going to be the same feeling for me and the team. We have got players who are ready to go, that has been the story of our season so far and I think we will prove a point on Saturday.

The Nigerian international has also received fulsome praise from Parker ahead of Saturday night's fixture.

Ola has great concentration and has shown real attention to detail. He needs rhythm and he maybe struggled a little bit with the intensity of training and what was asked of him when he first came in. I knew his quality when he was at Chelsea as a young player and I think everyone has seen that now.

He is an unbelievable defender. He's done remarkably well. I wanted him to brush up on his detail in his work in terms of the care and the detail of his passing and body shape when he's defending. I think he's done that. He's been very open minded, he's always engaged and he's always willing to listen and understand things. That's a reflection on him and we're seeing the rewards from that.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/aina-eager-to-prove-a-point-against-chelsea/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Mundle-Smith joins Maidstone on loan

Maidstone United have brought in Fulham's Jaydn Mundle-Smith on loan.

The 21-year-old is a versatile defender, able to play anywhere at the back.

The former Maidenhead United loanee has joined Hakan Hayrettin's side until the end of the season.

Mundle-Smith has captained Fulham's Under-23 side.

https://nonleaguedaily.com/fulhams-mundle-smith-joins-maidstone-on-loan/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fulhams-mundle-smith-joins-maidstone-on-loan

WhiteJC

Stansfield closing in on comeback

Teenage striker Jay Stansfield is itching to return to action after three months on the sidelines recovering from ankle surgery.

The young forward, who made such an impression during his first season with the Whites after moving to London from boyhood club Exeter City, has endured a long wait to build on his strong start after picking up the first serious injury of his career during an innocuous incident at Motspur Park.

I went to block the ball in a training session but got my foot caught in the ground. All of the force travelled through my ankle and I suffered a hairline fracture/break on the outside of my ankle bone. I also ruptured my ligament which is why I needed surgery. The surgery went well, the surgeon was happy with it all and it's recovered from then on, so I'm nearly back playing.

It's been a long 12 weeks, don't get me wrong. It's hard coming back to the training ground and watching all the other lads play, while you're stuck in the gym wanting to get out there and train. I've trained fully this week and hopefully after one more week, I'll be back; maybe with the Under-18s for the West Ham game.

The 18 year-old, who scored a remarkable 22 goals for the under 18s last year and made his professional debut for the first team, has done his best to remain upbeat during his enforced time off. He has looked to add strength to his already eye-catching all-round game.

There were areas in my game that I needed to work on, not on the pitch but in the gym. I've been focused on getting more powerful and stronger and over the 12 weeks I've been able to build on that and set myself a plan for the rest of the season. Working on my power and speed should add a bit more to my game. I'm putting in those extra hours in the gym in order to improve as a player and get used to that first team environment.

Looking forward, I need to end the season strong, look to get back to full fitness and make an impact, whether it be with the 18s or 23s.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/stansfield-closing-in-on-comeback/

WhiteJC

Fulham trio can inspire rare win over Chelsea

Adrian Clarke explains why Alphonse Areola, Tosin Adarabioyo and Ademola Lookman will be key

Adrian Clarke looks at key tactical points in Matchweek 19.

Fresh off the back of an impressive 1-1 draw at Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham will relish the prospect of causing an upset against Chelsea.

Comfortable counter-attacking in their new 3-5-2 shape, they will not be intimidated when their west London neighbours visit Craven Cottage.

Here is a closer look at three of the club's summer signings, who should provide Scott Parker's side with optimism ahead of this match.

Safe hands

On-loan goalkeeper Alphonse Areola is playing superbly.

The 27-year-old Paris Saint-Germain 'keeper has a naturally dominant presence and his outstanding shot-stopping skills have earned his side extra points this term.

cross Fulham's last seven matches, Areola has conceded just six goals from 33 shots on target faced.

Making 3.7 saves per 90 minutes in that spell, his save ratio has been a highly impressive 80.95 per cent.
Highest save percentages 2020/21
Player/save percentage
Nick Pope    78.8%
Hugo Lloris    77.8%
Emiliano Martinez    76.5%
Alphonse Areola    73.4%
Karl Darlow    70.7%

Areola has been very consistent during his first season in English football.

Capable of producing match-defining saves with his hands or feet, the Frenchman boasts one of the best shot-to-save ratios in the Premier League.

If Fulham are to claim their first win against Chelsea since 2006, Areola is almost certain to be a key figure.
Upgrades at the back

Since switching to a three-man defence in late November, Fulham have beaten Leicester City, lost at Manchester City and claimed five successive draws.

When picking up points against Liverpool, Southampton and Spurs they were particularly impressive.

Kenny Tete, Ola Aina, Joachim Andersen, Tosin Adarabioyo or Antonee Robinson did not play a part in Fulham's promotion, but they have gelled quickly to form a much-improved defence.

Former Man City youngster Adarabioyo produced an immense individual performance in the midweek draw with Spurs.

The 23-year-old, who plays on the left of central defence, made nine clearances, 10 ball recoveries, three tackles and a vital block.

Adarabioyo came into the side after Fulham had leaked 11 goals in their opening four fixtures.

Since then, they have only conceded a further 13 times in 12 top-flight matches.

At 6ft 5in, Adarabioyo uses his height to good advantage and has made highest number of clearances per 90 minutes of any Premier League defender.

Team-mate Andersen is also ranked third for clearances, showing how comfortable Fulham now are at defending inside their own box.

The pair will try to dominate Olivier Giroud or Tammy Abraham whenever balls come into the area.
Defenders with most clearances 2020/21
Player    Per 90
Tosin Adarabioyo    6.08
Kyle Bartley    6.05
Joachim Andersen    5.88
Federico Fernandez    5.8
Toby Alderweireld    5.23

Fulham's main man in attack is 23-year-old Ademola Lookman.

Since joining on loan from RB Leipzig, the forward has proved he can be a game-changer, delivering two goals and three assists.
Ademola Lookman stats 2020/21
2020/21    Per 90    Fulham rank
Big chances created    0.35    1st
Chances created in open play    1.75    1st
Shots    1.83    2nd
Dribbles completed    3.15    2nd
Touches in opp box    4.28    2nd

His speed and dribbling ability are a major asset, so he will be expected to take Chelsea defenders on at Craven Cottage.

He scored a stunning solo goal in a 1-1 draw with Sheffield United, and finished off a counter-attack with aplomb in the win at Leicester, having sprinted 60 yards to score.

Lookman's individual magic also inspired goals against Everton and Spurs, when he beat his man before supplying quality crosses from the byline.

Steady at the back and competent going forward, Fulham's side looks more than capable of making it a difficult evening for Chelsea.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1974296

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Preview: Friday Night Fulham With Special Guest Alison Bender

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview episode of Fulham vs. Chelsea, and to help us with our show was special guest Alison Bender, who is a freelance journalist and a Chelsea supporter. Alison gave us her view on Chelsea's season so far, along with her thoughts on Frank Lampard. She also discussed Fulham as she covered the Liverpool match, and had some nice things to say about the club.

Later on in the show, co-host Yannis Tjanetis broke down this match, and we ended with our predictions. You will get both the Chelsea and Fulham perspective in this episode.

Lastly, you can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/1/15/22233585/cottage-talk-preview-friday-night-fulham-with-special-guest-alison-bender

WhiteJC

New Fulham players to be told about Chelsea rivalry

New Fulham players will get a history lesson ahead of the game against Chelsea.

The likes of Joachim Andersen, Alphonse Areola, Kenny Tete, Tosin Adarabioyo, and Ade Lookman will be told just how much a derby against means to Whites fans.

Fulham supporters like to beat big teams and other London clubs, but the real prize are the points gained from the other side with a SW6 postcode.

Head coach Scott Parker said he will make it his duty to prepare the team, physically, mentally – and get them to understand the intensity of a special west London rivalry.

Former Chelsea and Fulham player Parker said: "Do they know the importance? They will do.

"It's always difficult when a new player comes into the squad and doesn't know the history.

"So you have to build that connection; that story, and let them understand what it means to the fans; what it means to the football club; the derby atmosphere, and how the two clubs have evolved over the last 15 years."

The one player with an interest in both clubs will be one of the few spectators at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is ruled out by the terms of his loan at Fulham from Chelsea.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/fulham-players-to-be-given-pre-match-history-lesson-on-chelsea-rivalry

WhiteJC

Scott Parker confirms Fulham had nine coronavirus cases before Spurs game

Scott Parker revealed Fulham had nine cases of coronavirus during the outbreak at the club which forced the Tottenham game to be postponed and their training ground closed in December.

Fulham had been due to play at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on December 30, before the squad returned six positive Covid-19 tests, with another three cases confirmed the following day, Parker said.

The Premier League announced on Monday that the Tottenham-Fulham game would be rearranged for Wednesday, a decision branded by Parker at the time as "scandalous", but the Cottagers would go on to claim a 1-1 comeback draw in the fixture.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's visit of Chelsea, Parker said he wanted to set the record straight as he gave some information that the club had previously withheld from public knowledge.

"If I can explain exactly my argument because I have seen some comments regarding my gripe the other day," Parker said.

"My gripe was not the fact that I only had two days to prepare the team. That's not my gripe. My gripe was that, at this moment in time, 16 days ago, give or take, that the Tottenham fixture was meant to be played, we had on the morning of the game, six Covid positive tests. Six.

"At that moment I was ready to play the game, I wanted to play the game. But understand from one round of testing, we have six players. At that moment we needed to be very open and understand that we're leaving our training facility with a group of players who may all be infected, because the day before, we trained."

Parker went on to describe the testing protocol which includes a 24-hour wait for the results, and that the club informed the Premier League immediately for the safety of everyone involved.

"We travel to a hotel, the game gets called off, we get told to come back to the training facility to test again," Parker added.

"Rightly so. Let's test everyone in our bubble. Let's see, hopefully not, that this deadly virus that we're all petrified of has not spread.

"The following day we have another three positive tests. Three positive tests for players who were going to play in the Tottenham game. So our decision was right.

"I think it's clear to say we've got an outbreak now. The facility gets shut for the weekend because we need to clear things up."

A number of the nine players who had to self-isolate for 10 days had symptoms and Parker has raised a number of concerns over player welfare after the fixture was re-arranged at such short notice.

Parker, whose side beat QPR after extra-time in the FA Cup third round last Saturday, said:  "I've played a team against QPR thinking my next fixture is Friday, so the balance of that... It (the rearranged match) gets put on your lap Monday morning at 9.30am.

"I see this situation and think we have valid, valid reasons that this was very unfair. Very unfair. What I asked of my players yesterday... what they did was nothing short of remarkable to be honest with you."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/scott-parker-confirms-fulham-had-nine-coronavirus-cases-before-spurs-game_430765.html

filham

Lawro predicting a Chelsea win is comforting, now if Lookman is fit enough to start and Mitro can make the bench then I think there is half a chance we could get a point.
Shame that RLC and  Lemina will be missing.

WhiteJC

Frank Lampard insists Ruben Loftus-Cheek has a future at Chelsea

Frank Lampard insists Ruben Loftus-Cheek has a future at Chelsea.

The 24-year-old is spending the season on loan at Fulham and has impressed under Scott Parker. Loftus-Cheek made just nine appearances for Chelsea last season as he was recovering from a ruptured Achilles which he suffered in a post-season friendly in May 2019.

The midfielder will be unable to feature in Fulham's clash with Chelsea this weekend due to a clause in the loan agreement between the two clubs.

But Lampard says he has been impressed with the impact Loftus-Cheek has made at Craven Cottage.

'He played well [against Tottenham] and I was really pleased to see that because when Ruben was getting fit and was with us, I felt like we missed him last year,' said Lampard.

'And when Ruben was getting fit, I was excited because I know the attributes he has and I wanted those attributes at the club.

'The conversations I had with Ruben earlier in the season were that he wasn't feeling as sharp as he wanted to be on the back of a really bad injury which he had.

'Could he go and play games because he felt he needed games and maybe he could get regular games elsewhere.

'Seeing him play recently, I see him looking fit, fresh and strong. We know he's an obvious talent so it's great.

'If he can keep that up hopefully through the season and if he can get back to where he was and more then I'll be very happy and he'll come back as our player, for sure.'

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/16/frank-lampard-sends-message-to-ruben-loftus-cheek-over-chelsea-future-13913475/?ito=newsnow-feed?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Chelsea: Why Anguissa & Lookman can outclass Ziyech & Mendy

The West London clubs face off at Craven Cottage on Saturday with the in-form Cottagers backing themselves against the Blues

If there was ever a near-perfect representation of the oft-repeated 'game of two halves' in football lexicon, the encounter between Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham on Wednesday would be a good example.

Spurs dominated the opening half, missed a glut of opportunities — scoring just one through Harry Kane — only to be pegged back after half-time as the Cottagers rallied following Scott Parker's half-time pep talk.

Perhaps, the telling difference for the West Londoners was Ademola Lookman, strangely left out of the action until the 67th minute. The impact of the Anglo-Nigerian in those subsequent 23 minutes on the pitch raised questions about why Parker left out the RB Leipzig loanee in the first place.

Lookman not only registered the assist for Ivan Cavaleiro's headed equalizer after brilliantly skinning Davidson Sanchez but he also very nearly set up what could have been the winner had Ruben Loftus-Cheek been sharper in front of goal. He may have even settled the game himself late on if Aboubakar Kamara raised his head to see the attacker in oceans of space to his left, almost begging to be played through.

In only 23 minutes, Lookman was involved in three shot-creating actions, only Antonee Robinson & Loftus-Cheek with four had more, led the way for chances created with three, while only Bobby Decordova-Reid (three) played more accurate passes into the Spurs area.

That assist made Lookman Fulham's highest goal contributor with five, and expect him to start against Chelsea on Saturday, particularly with RLC ineligible to face his parent club.

His direct running is likely to trouble a Blues backline and goalkeeper that's looked extremely brittle in recent weeks, with Edouard Mendy coming under pressure for varying reasons, from his suspect sweeping ability to now-unconvincing shot-stopping.

It remains to be seen if Frank Lampard starts primary right-back Reece James, who returned to training this week or opts for club captain Cesar Azpilicueta. The Spaniard looks to have lost a yard of pace and could, in theory, have a torrid time against the rapid Lookman, by and large also the Cottagers' most-threatening and creative forward.

Of the attackers in the Fulham side, Lookman ranks highest for key passes per 90, shot-creating actions per 90 and goal-creating actions per 90. If leaving out the on-loan 23-year-old from the XI against Tottenham was odd, making the same call after his showing off the bench and, especially, against a struggling Chelsea team will prompt even more criticism of the head coach.

If Lookman's ability and delivery makes him the hosts' top attacker, Andre Zambo Anguissa could pass as the leading midfielder for the relegation-threatened side.

The all-action midfield man packs a punch and is nearly unstoppable when he's in full flow, gliding and weaving past opponents like they aren't there. His already high value in this Fulham team increases when you realise the level of effort the Cameroon midfielder also puts into the blue-collar aspects of the game.

Anguissa made a stunning 17 recoveries against Tottenham and was one of the team's top pressers against Jose Mourinho's men. Unsurprisingly, the Central African completed a game-high six dribbles from eight attempts and equally helped to fashion out shooting opportunities, ranking joint-third along with Lookman for shot-creating actions.

Be that as it may, the two games that perfectly demonstrate what the 25-year-old is all about were those against Manchester City and Southampton in December.

Despite losing 2-0 at the Etihad Stadium, he was always positive in his play, evidenced by his forward-thinking passing and ball-carrying. Aside from completing all seven attempted dribbles against Pep Guardiola's men, the Indomitable Lion was involved in the highest volume of offensive actions leading to a Fulham shot (three).

Against Saints, Anguissa topped for combined tackles and interceptions (10) as he did vs City weeks earlier while ranking third for loose balls recovered (13) against the side from the south coast — narrowly beaten by Bobby Reid and Joachim Andersen (both 14).

He wasn't dispossessed all game despite a high level of involvement and general keenness to carry the ball upfield against a side that presses as effectively as Ralph Hasenhuttl's troops. 

It came as no surprise to see that both he and Lookman ranked in the top two for shot-creating actions, successful progressive passes and progressive ball-carrying. Indeed, the pair will be vital to Fulham's approach against their neighbours, who will look to the talismanic Hakim Ziyech to deliver at the Cottage as they seek to arrest troubling run.

The Morocco star missed the majority of the Blues' slump and only returned in their embarrassing 3-1 defeat by Manchester City. His tendency to attempt risky passes to open up the pitch or fashion out opportunities add a unique dimension to Lampard's side and they benefitted from this last time out in the 4-0 FA Cup success over Morecambe on Sunday.

Admittedly, Fulham will pose a much sterner test than the League Two side but it was a good run out for the North African, whose high-risk high-reward style unites a Chelsea attack that looked sterile without him early in the season and unproductive for the majority of their December slump.

As for Fulham, while many observers feel their improvement began in that 1-1 draw vs Liverpool, that assumption couldn't be further from the truth. Rather, they've tightened up after losing their first three games 3-0, 4-3 and 3-0 to Arsenal, Leeds United and Aston Villa respectively, with those seven goals accounting for 30 percent of their 24 goals conceded.

Interestingly, while they've lost the expected goals battle nine times in their 16 fixtures, only five times have they been defeated by a wide margin (Arsenal, Villa, Crystal Palace, Man City and Spurs). This further strengthens suggestions that Parker's side have been unlucky in some fixtures or made bad decisions at times, with Lookman's failed Panenka vs West Ham United probably a fitting example.

14 points separate the sides in the table, but Anguissa's drive and menacing Anglo-Nigerian threaten to ramp up the pressure on a currently struggling Chelsea side and under-fire Lampard.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/fulham-vs-chelsea-why-anguissa-lookman-can-outclass-ziyech/1hcgro4qsdoy113fjpie6gautj

WhiteJC

Chelsea's plans for Ruben Loftus-Cheek as Fulham loan spell goes from strength to strength

The midfielder is spending the campaign at Craven Cottage as he looks to fully recover from the injury which kept him out for over a year

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is still working his way back to his best after an Achilles injury that would have ended the careers of players who are older than him.

At the age of 24, Loftus-Cheek has his best years still ahead of him and he started to show signs of his old self when Fulham secured a 1-1 draw with Spurs in midweek.

The midfielder is on his second loan spell away from the club, having also plied his trade at Crystal Palace during the 2017/18 season in south east London as a talent that had emerged onto the scene but needed regular game time.

He made 24 appearances for the Eagles that season, which was disrupted a bit by ankle and thigh injuries.

Now down the road Craven Cottage he has made 12 appearances and is in the midst of one of his most consistent runs of games for 18 months and definitely his longest run of consecutive appearances since his achilles injury.

Loftus-Cheek tore his Achilles tendon in Chelsea's Say No To Anti-Semitism charity match against New England Revolution in Boston in May 2019, missing Chelsea's Europa League final victory over Arsenal in Baku later that same month.

Lampard has maintained previously that Loftus-Cheek has a big future ahead of him at Chelsea but felt he needed to be playing regular minutes this season to continue to get his fitness back, something that Scott Parker is so far acknowledging.

The 24-year-old can't play against Chelsea this weekend for Fulham as per the terms of his loan move and that might be a good thing considering the form the midfielder displayed in the Cottagers midweek draw.

Not that Lampard wasn't thrilled to see the midfielder, who turns 25 next week, excelling.

I thought he played well and I was really pleased to see that because when Ruben was getting fit and was with us, I felt like we missed him last year," Lanpard said.

"And when Ruben was getting fit, I was excited because I know the attributes he has and I wanted those attributes at the club.

"The conversations I had with Ruben earlier in the season were that he wasn't feeling as sharp as he wanted to be on the back of a really bad injury which he had. Could he go and play games because he felt he needed games and maybe he could get regular games elsewhere.

"Seeing him play recently, I see him looking fit, fresh and strong. We know he's an obvious talent so it's great. If he can keep that up hopefully through the season and if he can get back to where he was and more then I'll be very happy and he'll come back as our player, for sure."

Seemingly Lampard has big plans for Loftus-Cheek when the midfielder's loan at Fulham comes to a close at the end of the season. It's just a case of finding somewhere to fit him in with the abundance Lampard has in an attacking sense at Stamford Bridge.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/loftus-cheek-chelsea-fulham-loan-19628199