0-1
Chelsea
Leicester
2-0
Southampton

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-1 Chelsea

Mason Mount's strike was Chelsea's 800th away goal in the Premier League

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard says his side "can't think everything is solved" after labouring their way to a second Premier League win in seven games against 10-man Fulham.

Antonee Robinson was sent off late in the first half for Fulham for a dangerous tackle on Cesar Azpilicueta.

Mason Mount - who earlier hit the bar - proved the match-winner with a half-volley after Alphonse Areola flapped at Ben Chilwell's cross.

Ten different players had shots for Chelsea, but they were wasteful in front of goal.

The win takes Chelsea up to seventh, while Fulham - who had drawn their previous five league games - are four points from safety.

"A month ago we were flying high, but since then we've struggled," Lampard told BBC Sport. "It's a challenge even a man down.

"Maybe a bit [confidence affecting his players], that's normal in football, but every team are having phases of form. Within that you get individuals short of form. We've got talent at the top end and it's my job to sort that out.

"Perfection is not an easy thing to get. I won't say I was blown away with the performance. There were lots of bits I was happy with, but we won't get too ahead of ourselves."

Can result help Chelsea kick-start season?

Chelsea went top of the table on 5 December when they beat Leeds. This was only their second victory in the league since then - and they sit seven points off Manchester United, having played an extra game.

Boss Lampard talked about "the experience and personality of" Olivier Giroud and Antonio Rudiger when explaining their places in starting XI - and spoke of the need to "kick-start" their season.

The result came eventually, albeit not with a stellar performance.

Giroud and Chilwell both missed the target with volleys, while Hakim Ziyech had a shot well saved before Mount hit the bar.

Rudiger had a header tipped wide, Ziyech went close with a shot from the left wing and Giroud flicked an effort wide at the near post.

It looked as if the goal was never going to come before Mount finally converted with a well-hit low finish.

Substitute Timo Werner had a glorious chance to end his Premier League goal drought - going back to 7 November - late on but slotted wide at the end of a counter-attack.

Robinson red card costs Fulham

Robinson's dismissal came during Fulham's best spell of the game - or rather at the end of it.

Three of their five first-half shots came in the five minutes before the USA wing-back's mistimed tackle on Azpilicueta. Some disputed whether the red card was merited, but in the modern era it was dangerous enough to justify a sending off.

It was a disastrous three minutes for Fulham because Ivan Cavaleiro had just missed their best chance of the game when, unmarked on the penalty spot, he fired over from Kenny Tete's pass.

"The longer the first half went on we came into it. It was a great chance for Cavaleiro - that needs to go in," boss Scott Parker told BBC Sport.

"I've not seen it [the red card] again. In real time I didn't see it. I want my players to play on the line - to be committed and aggressive. But if he's crossed it he needs to look at that."

They ended up defending for most of the second half - with only 23.2% of the ball - although they did have chances. Harrison Reed and Aboubakar Kamara forced saves and Cavaleiro had a shot blocked by Thiago Silva.

Just when it looked like they were going to make it six Premier League draws in a row, Areola failed to deal sufficiently with Chilwell's cross and Mount pounced.

"I thought defensively we were fantastic. You still want to be a bit of a counter-threat," said Parker.

"In the second half, you're playing the clock a bit - we tried to hold on but it wasn't to be. But I've nothing but admiration for my team - they were superb to a man."

Match stats - Chelsea are the 1-0 kings

Chelsea's win ended a run of three straight Premier League defeats on the road. This was the Blues' fourth away clean sheet of the season, after keeping just one last term.
    Fulham remain winless in their last 19 Premier League London derby matches (D2 L17) since a 2-1 win over West Ham in January 2014.
    Chelsea have lost just one of their 29 Premier League meetings with Fulham (W18 D10), remaining unbeaten in their last 19 against the Cottagers in the competition.
    Chelsea have won 131 Premier League games by a 1-0 scoreline, the most common winning score for a single team in the competition's history.
    Chelsea had 21 shots against Fulham, only managing more against other promoted sides West Brom (22) and Leeds (23) in Premier League games this season.
    As well as scoring the winner, Mason Mount created seven chances in this game - the joint-most by a Chelsea player in a league game this season (Mount also seven against Leeds).
    Antonee Robinson's red card was Fulham's third in the Premier League this season - no side has had more so far this term.
    Antonee Robinson became the eighth different player from the USA to be sent off in the Premier League, with Fulham the first side to have two American players see red (also Carlos Bocanegra).

What's next?

Chelsea visit Leicester City on Tuesday, while Fulham host Manchester United the next day (both games at 20:15 GMT).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55583120

WhiteJC

Post-Chelsea Press Conference

Scott Parker acknowledged that the context of the football match was turned on its head following Antonee Robinson's red card on Saturday evening.

Fulham and Chelsea had played out a competitive joust in the first half at Craven Cottage, but after the Whites left-back was dismissed for a mistimed challenge on Cesar Azpilicueta, the visitors snuck a win through a late Mason Mount strike.

"You're playing the clock a little bit second half," Parker explained. "You get to 78 minutes and you're thinking, can we hold on?

"I thought we defended heroically. We defended very, very well really and it is a shame that they got their noses in front.

"But overall I've got nothing but admiration for my team for the way they played. Certainly first half we limited them, and 10-15 minutes before the sending off we were well in the ascendancy.

"We missed a big chance with Cavaleiro, and when you're us with those chances against these sorts of teams, they need to go in. And then the sending off changes the game, obviously."

When a journalist put it to Parker that Azpilicueta made a meal of the challenge, Parker was reluctant to weigh in too heavily having yet to see a replay.

But he admitted that losing Robinson was a substantial blow after watching the United States international cause Chelsea no end of problems in the opening 45 minutes.

"The reaction of my players, they seemed very shocked that the ref was going to give a red, but I honestly don't know and I wouldn't want to comment because I haven't seen it to make that real judgement," he explained.

"I've just left the changing room so I've not seen it. The game becomes a lot different for us [afterwards].

"Where we were growing into the game, we really got to grips with Chelsea and caused them some real problems, and Antonee was at the forefront of that with the way he was playing.

"He defended very well and certainly was a real outlet for us, so of course that changed the game.

"I want every single one of my players to play right on the edge, I want to be aggressive, I want to be competitive. And at times when you are on that line, sometimes players may step over that.

"If that's the case today then that's the way it is. Antonee will learn from that and understand that.

"Without being on that edge, we're not going to be competitive. It's disappointing because it's probably a needless tackle but we'll go again and dust ourselves down, and get ready now for [Manchester] United."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/Post-Chelsea-Press-Conference/

WhiteJC

CLOSER LOOK Fulham must pay £15m for permanent Ademola Lookman transfer as Leipzig refuse to lower price after impressive loan spell

FULHAM will have to come up with a stunning £15million to sign Ademola Lookman from RB Leipzig on a permanent basis.

Lookman, 23, has often dazzled in his loan spell from Germany.

Now Cottagers boss Scott Parker would like him to stay if that can be arranged.

However, Leipzig still want a sky-high fee and that cannot be easily arranged with Fulham in their current league position.

They will struggle to commit to a signing at this point but plan to try if they stay up.

Former Everton winger Lookman has scored twice, adding three assists, in 14 Premier League games this season.

Parker will also have to prepare for life without Chelsea loanee Ruben Loftus-Cheek next season.

Blues boss Frank Lampard has hinted the English midfielder could play a huge role at Stamford Bridge next season.

Lampard claimed: "He played well [against Tottenham] and I was really pleased to see that because when Ruben was getting fit and was with us, I felt like we missed him last year.

"Seeing him play recently, I see him looking fit, fresh and strong.

"We know he's an obvious talent so it's great.

"If he can keep that up hopefully through the season and if he can get back to where he was and more, then I'll be very happy.

"He'll come back as our player, for sure."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13764032/fulham-transfer-lookman-leipzig-loan/

WhiteJC

Mount smashes past Fulham resistance as half-volley secures Chelsea win

Mason Mount's half-volley in the second half proved enough as Chelsea ground out a 1-0 win against 10-man Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Despite a goalless first half, the visitors had the best chances and they gained the numerical advantage with Antonee Robinson's red card just before half time.

To their credit, Fulham showed resistance against the subsequent waves of Blues attacks in the second half but Mount broke their resistance with his half-volley.

Fulham started better, showing the same energy as in their 1-1 draw with Liverpool. But while Chelsea struggled early on, the hosts could not take advantage.

The Blues did grow into the game and had a flurry of chances before the half-hour mark.

Cottagers goalkeeper Alphonse Areola made a few good saves in response, keeping Olivier Giroud's swerving first-time shot out before palming Antonio Rudiger's away.

Meanwhile, Mason Mount, who had combined with Giroud, hit the bar after Robinson's failed clearance.

But despite Chelsea's dominance, Fulham did have good openings, their best – after 41 minutes – being wasted by Ivan Cavaliero.

Robinson drove down the left after a neat backheel from Ademola Lookman, before Kenny Tete found Cavaliero unmarked in the box, but the forward's effort was over.

However, if Fulham thought that was the defining moment towards the end of the first half, they were wrong.

Robinson received a red card after 44 minutes after going out of control into a challenge with Cesar Azpilicueta.

With the extra man, Chelsea dominated the second half.

Giroud and Thiago Silva missed headers, before substitute Tammy Abraham also had a headed effort stopped by Areola.

Fulham did venture forward on occasion and almost took the lead when Blues goalkeeper Edouard Mendy mixed his communications with Azpilicueta, allowing a hosts' snapshot to be blocked in the box.

However, Chelsea's pressure told with Mount's half-volley after 78 minutes.

Areola palmed Ben Chilwell's cross into the path of Mount, who was in the right place at the right time to drill a low effort home.

Frank Lampard's men then had quick-fire chances to kill the game off, but Abraham and Timo Werner both lost the ball high up the pitch after poor touches.

Fulham had hope with a stoppage-time set piece but after it was defended, Werner could not finish with an effort which curled wide of the post.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/mount-smashes-past-fulham-resistance-half-volley-chelsea-win

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-1 Chelsea: Mount spares blushes of unimpressive Blues

Chelsea produced an unremarkable performance against Fulham but did just enough to claim a 1-0 win in the London derby.

Mason Mount scored a late winner as Chelsea scraped to an unimpressive 1-0 win at a struggling Fulham side that played half the match a man light.

Frank Lampard's side went into the match without a win in any of their three previous Premier League games, a run that had seen their coach come under increased pressure. Although they were able to end that streak, the performance was by no means vintage.

Chelsea had the better of the first half but did not begin to exert genuine control until after Antonee Robinson's dismissal in the 44th minute left the Blues with a numerical advantage.

They had great difficulty making the most of that sending off, but eventually Mount struck 12 minutes from time to move Chelsea back up to seventh in the table.

11 - Mason Mount's opener was the 11th goal Chelsea have scored in the final 15 minutes of Premier League matches this season; no side has netted more in this time period in the competition in 2020-21 (level with Leicester City). Breakthrough. pic.twitter.com/WhAgFGwH6B
    — OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 16, 2021

Chelsea briefly appeared to find their groove when they created a flurry of chances in quick succession before the half-hour mark of the contest.

Alphonse Areola had to be alert twice, saving from Olivier Giroud and Antonio Rudiger either side of Mount striking the crossbar during what was a promising three-minute spell from the visitors.

While that was not the start of a prolonged onslaught, Chelsea's chances were helped just before half-time when Robinson was shown a straight red for a wild tackle on Cesar Azpilicueta that completely missed the ball and sent the Spaniard flying.

Despite having an extra man, Chelsea's chance creation frequency did not appear to increase, two of their better opportunities ultimately resulting in offside calls.

A defensive calamity just past the hour then almost saw Chelsea fall behind, as Azpilicueta's poor pass forced Edouard Mendy to stretch and nudge the ball to Ivan Cavaleiro, but luckily Thiago Silva was in attendance to block his shot in front of an empty goal.

Chelsea finally found a way through in the latter stages, Mount drilling a volley low past Areola after the Frenchman had diverted a left-wing cross right to him.

What does it mean? Chelsea leave it late again

A four-game winless run ahead of a testing clash with Leicester City at the King Power Stadium would have been far from ideal for Lampard, particularly given the uncertainty surrounding his future.

Mount's goal at the end at least means the heat has not been turned up even higher, though he will surely be bemused about how long it took them to find a way through – they had 21 shots but only six were on target.

The winner was their 11th goal scored inside the final 15 minutes of games this term, more than anyone else in the top flight. However, whether that is a sign of character or desperation is one for Lampard to work out.

Mount sets the standard

His winning goal was just reward for a fine performance from Mount, who was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. The England international made seven key passes over the course of the 90 minutes, a figure bettered only three times in a single match this term.

Chelsea's defence aside, his 97 touches of the ball were more than anyone and 91 per cent of his attempted passes were accurate, a remarkable figure considering how many chances he created.

Fulham rue Robinson's red

While some may suggest Robinson's sending off was dubious, there is little denying he was out of control as he went hurtling into Azpilicueta.

Fulham actually responded quite well to his dismissal, holding out impressively for much of the second half, but one has to assume they would have had an event better chance of getting something from the game with 11 men on the pitch.

19 - Fulham remain winless in their last 19 Premier League London derby matches (D2 L17) since a 2-1 win over West Ham in January 2014. Punished. pic.twitter.com/YWWB3WK9wX
    — OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 16, 2021

Key Opta facts
Article continues below

- This was Chelsea's fourth away clean sheet of the season - they managed just one last term.
- Fulham remain winless in their last 19 Premier League London derby matches (D2 L17), since a 2-1 triumph over West Ham in January 2014.
- Chelsea have lost just one of their 29 league meetings with Fulham (W18 D10), remaining unbeaten in their last 19 against them in the competition.
- The Blues had 21 shots against Fulham, only managing more against other promoted sides West Brom (22) and Leeds (23) in league games this season.
- Antonee Robinson became the eighth different player from the United States to be sent off in the Premier League, with Fulham the first side to have two American players see red (Carlos Bocanegra).

What's next? 

Life does not get much easier for Fulham in midweek as they host Manchester United on Wednesday, while Chelsea face the tricky task of going to Leicester the day before.

https://www.goal.com/en/match/fulham-v-chelsea/report/8ll9spnuf0bgh7id1irocq7tg

WhiteJC

Mount ends Fulham's brave resistance

Fulham are undoubtedly improving, but they still fine themselves on the wrong end of the Premier League's fine margins. This defeat, spirited as it was, was ultimately caused by a moment of madness from Antonee Robinson, so impressive in the early part of his career at Craven Cottage. The American full back was sent off for a wild lunge at Cesar Azpilicueta in the closing stages of a first half that Chelsea had dominated. It took Frank Lampard's side until twelve minutes from time to make their numerical advantage count – Mason Mount, who had earlier struck the crossbar, fired clinically home from twelve yards out after Alphonse Areola had clawed away Ben Chilwell's cross.

There was plenty to admire about Scott Parker's gameplan, sticking to his now customary 3-4-3 system, and aiming to both stifle Chelsea's creative forces and surprise them in the final third. For a while, it looked like it may work. The visitors were largely wasteful in the final third, with Mount their most likely source of a goal. The England international had a low drive from a training ground corner bravely blocked by Harrison Reed and then hit the bar after the right side of the area after a weak Robinson header presented him with a good sight of goal.

Clear cut openings for the Blues, despite their dominance of possession, were few and far between. They looked dangerous from set plays, sending a countless number of headers off target, with Areola making one excellent save from Antonio Rudiger. Hakim Ziyech curled a couple of sighters wide from the edge of the box whilst Areola saved smartly from Olivier Giroud, who cut a frustrated figure for much of the evening – not afforded the sort of service upon which he thrives. Much of the credit for that had to go to Joachim Andersen, former Chelsea academy graduate Ola Aina, Tosin Adarabioya and Kenny Tete, who were immense at the back for Fulham – the Dutchman especially impressive as he was switched to a central defensive role after Robinson had been sent off.

That pivotal red card came at the end of Fulham's most positive spell of the game. They probably should have been in front following the sort of sweeping move that probably originated in Slavisa Jokanovic's playbook. Areola got things movement with a quick throw-out, Lookman and Robinson worked a quick one-two down the left before the nippy winger produced a peach of pass to play in Tete down the opposite flank. Just when you thought he would pull the trigger, Tete instead slipped a sumptuous ball into Cavaleiro, whose miss from ten yards with the goal gaping was glaring. He sent it high into the Putney off his right foot after getting into a tangle – Tete's furious reaction underlining that this was the sort of chance Fulham couldn't afford to pass up.

The gravity of that miss was highlighted moments later when Robinson dived in recklessly to try and win a 50-50 against Azpilicueta high up on the Fulham left flank. The American full back didn't come close to winning the ball and, whilst the contact was never as great as the experienced Chelsea full back suggested, Peter Bankes' decision to quickly reach for red was justified. The brainless nature of the tackle was even more baffling as Fulham were in no immediate danger and Robinson was beginning to win his duel against the ageing Spaniard.

Parker opted against a drastic reshuffle at half-time, shifting Bobby Decordova-Reid back to right wing back and shuffling Aina across to the left. It very nearly worked. Fulham defended diligently, trying to limit space on the edge or inside their penalty area, whilst Chelsea probed patiently, working the ball from side to side. They continued to threaten from set plays but there was very little danger in open play – Giroud scuffed the best opening just before he was substituted, but he appeared to offside.

His replacement Tammy Abraham almost made an immediate impact, drifting between Tete and Adarabioyo to head Christian Pulisic's devlish cross into the arms of Areola. From the other end, Ziyech dug out a delightful ball that curved agonisingly away from Abraham and the late arriving Pulisic, although there were mere milimetres in it. Fulham's preoccupation at this point was preserving parity but they still carved out openings of their own – Aina almost recreating his West Brom rocket with a surging run and shot, before a dozy dash from his line by Edouard Mendy, almost gave Cavaleiro a chance but his shot was blocked by Thiago Silva and Harrison Reed's subsequent curler was easily fielded by the Chelsea goalkeeper.

Lampard threw on Callum Hudson-Odoi and Timo Werner as he searched for elusive penetration, although the breakthrough arrived almost out of nothing. Hudson-Odoi did well on the right angle of the Fulham box and switched the play for Chilwell, who elected not to shoot, and dug out a cross that had Areola backpedalling. He pushed the ball away from under his own crossbar but the clearance lacked his usual conviction and Mount, who has been searching for more goals to add his all-round game, gleefully crashed home the winner on the volley.

The chances of Fulham recovering a point seemed remote but Parker's charges gave it a good go. They forced a couple of promising set plays but couldn't orchestrate a real opening and it was actually Chelsea who spurned good chances to put the contest to bed. Azipiicueta blazed high into the Putney End when he implausibly found himself with acres of space in the Fulham box before Werner offered an indication of his lack of confidence, shooting horribly wide when released into the inside left channel by a lovely Mount pass.

On an afternoon when West Brom recorded a fine win at Wolves and Brighton triumphed at Leeds, this defeat was a bitter pill to swallow for Parker. The endeavour and application is there – but coming so close to a point against all the odds somehow hurts even more.

FULHAM (3-4-3): Areola; Aina (Bryan 83), Andersen, Adarabioyo; Tete, Robinson, Reed, Anguissa; Decordova-Reid (Kamara 83), Lookman, Cavaleiro (Onomah 79). Subs (not used): Rodak, Hector, Ream, Odoi, Kebano.

BOOKED: Decordova-Reid, Lookman.

SENT OFF: Robinson.

CHELSEA (4-3-3): Mendy; Azpilicueta, Chilwell, Rudiger, Thiago Silva; Jorginho (Abraham 65), Kovacic, Mount; Ziyech (Hudson-Odoi 75), Pulisic, Giroud (Werner 75). Subs (not used): Arrizabalaga, James, Zouma, Emerson, Gilmour, Havertz.

BOOKED: Ziyech, Thiago Silva.

GOAL: Mount (78).

REFEREE: Peter Bankes (Merseyside).

VIDEO ASSISTANT REFEREE: Jarred Gillett (Australia).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/mount-ends-fulhams-brave-resistance/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: Fulham will 'play right on the edge' in battle against relegation

Scott Parker says his Fulham side must continue to live "on the edge" if they are to stave off relegation - even if it cost them dear in Saturday's west London derby against Chelsea. 

The Cottagers were reduced to ten men on the stroke of half-time when Antonee Robinson was sent off for a reckless challenge on Blues defender Cesar Azpilicueta.

Parker hailed a "heroic" defensive display which saw the hosts hold out for 78 minutes before Mason Mount earned Frank Lampard's side a 1-0 win. 

And he says he will have to take the rough with the smooth as he demands full commitment from his men in their bid to stay in the top-flight. 

"I want every one of my players to play right on the edge," Parker said. "Be aggressive, and at times when you are on that line individuals might step over that. If that's the case today then that's the way it is.

"But without being on the edge, for us this year, we're not going to be competitive."

The defeat brought to an end a run of five straight draws in the Premier League and Parker admits he was beginning to believe in his side's ability to make it six until Mount struck late on. 

"You never feel you've done enough because of the circumstance of being down to ten men and the quality they have on the pitch," Parker added. "At that point we knew the game would go 95 minutes, probably.

"But then you get to 70 or 78 minutes and you're thinking: 'Can we hold on?'. I think we defended heroically.

"I've got nothing but admiration for my team and the way they played."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fc-news-scott-parker-chelsea-relegation-b900022.html

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Fulham Go Down 1-0 To Chelsea

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

his is our initial reaction show of Fulham's 1-0 loss to Chelsea.

You can also listen to the show on by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2021/1/16/22234939/cottage-talk-full-time-fulham-go-down-1-0-to-chelsea

WhiteJC

Parker hails 'heroic' Fulham defending after derby defeat

Fulham boss Scott Parker lauded his team's 'heroic' defending in their 1-0 defeat at home to Chelsea.

But Parker was disappointed with Antonee Robinson's rash challenge that reduced the Whites to 10 men for the second half.

The home side came close to keeping their west London rivals at bay even after Robinson's dismissal, but Mason Mount ultimately made them pay 12 minutes from time.

And although they came away with no points, Parker feels proud of the fight his team showed throughout.

Parker said: "You get to 70-odd minutes and you're playing the clock a little bit second half.

"I thought we defended heroically. It's a shame they got in front. But overall, nothing but admiration for my team.

"For 10 or 15 minutes before the sending-off we were in the ascendancy."

While Robinson's rush of blood may have been costly, Parker insisted that he is looking for his team to show that kind of tenacity

He said: "I've not seen the red card again. But it definitely changes the game.

"I want every single one of our players to play right on the edge. I want us to be aggressive.

"We're disappointed because it was probably a needless tackle. He will learn from that and understand that."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-hails-heroic-fulham-defending-after-derby-defeat

WhiteJC

Verdict: Chelsea prevail and Fulham deserve credit – but both have problems

Chelsea took the spoils. Fulham, the plaudits.

In the battle of Fulham Road, the side in blue were breathing a little easier after Mason Mount's opportune strike in the second half handed them all three points.

But it was hard on the Whites.

Antonee Robinson's red card just before the break made all the difference, but a reorganised Fulham defended the barricade with a will for 78 minutes.

In fact, it looked as if they were going to get away with it until Mason mounted that barricade and stormed over the top.

There are no arguments with Robinson's red.

It wasn't malicious, but it was late enough on César Azpilicueta, although his reaction – along with Mount squaring up to Robinson – was unnecessary.

Referee Peter Bankes was across instantly – and I've never seen VAR review a decision so swiftly.

Robinson is one of those defenders whose normal timing makes him a very clean and welcome addition to the Premier League.

Costly Cav miss

Fulham head coach Scott Parker talks constantly about "small margins".

There was nothing small about the shocking miss from Ivan Cavaleiro just before half-time that would have put Fulham ahead.

His shot against his standing foot was woeful and after a terrific move that involved the soon to be dismissed Robinson.

I'm not sure Fulham fans saw the funny side – but Cav was beaming in bemusement as the ball flew hopelessly wide.

The Portuguese also scuffed an early chance when he got the ball trapped under his foot.

As it turned out, one of those decent chances converted and it might have ended 1-1 – just as it did at Spurs on Wednesday when Cavaleiro converted a far harder chance.

At the other end, Olivier Giroud was looking his 34 years.

His second-half miss in acres of space from six yards was offside, but the Frenchman didn't know that at the time, and when he pulled his shirt over his head to hide his embarrassment, it still didn't hide an average performance until substituted by Timo Werner.

It was the best thing that could have happened from Giroud's point of view.

Werner himself missed a decent chance soon after.

He then spurned an even bigger one in added time after sprinting beyond a stretched defence to shoot well wide.

Forget the FA Cup goal Werner scored against League Two Morecambe, the last time the German found the back of the net in a Premier League fixture was the beginning of November against Sheffield United.

Tough evening for Azpilicueta

Mount showed why manager Frank Lampard has kept faith with him, and Azpilicueta was in the thick of things.

The recipient of Robinson's sending-off tackle, the Chelsea defender also picked up a yellow card before getting another hefty whack that earned Ademola Lookman a yellow in a game where the referee pulled the same card out five times.

Azpilicueta then had a golden chance to put the game out of sight in the dying seconds. Instead, he put it out of sight in the back of the Putney End. Very much a defender's shot.

The Spaniard will know he's been in a game on Sunday morning.

Tough time for both clubs

That extra weight of expectation is all on Lampard's shoulders and this result will do little to lighten the mood of a team that are not going to challenge for the title.

Lampard got away with it, while Parker's organisation in defence made sure there was very little space until Mount cashed in.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was missing for Fulham again.  That FA Cup win at QPR really did take it out of the forward.

Worse still, Parker and Fulham have to face Manchester United on Wednesday without Robinson and Bobby Decordova-Reid as both are now suspended.

It doesn't get any easier for a side now four points from safety.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/verdict-chelsea-prevail-and-fulham-deserve-credit-but-both-have-problems

WhiteJC

Two Fulham players to miss Premier League meeting v Manchester United

Chelsea's Mason Mount made the difference at Craven Cottage earlier this evening when Chelsea travelled to Fulham and won 1-0 in the Premier League.

The Cottagers had a 6-game unbeaten streak across all competitions prior to the game, but that meant nothing as Frank Lampard's Chelsea emerge winners on the night.

Mason Mount scored the game's only game with a little over 10 minutes from time — from close range. Watch goal via Sky Sports.

The result won't please manager Scott Parker but they've also got suspensions going into their next game against United on Wednesday night — and will be looking to avoid consecutive defeats.

Antonne Robinson was sent off in the first-half for a lunging challenge on Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta.

Meanwhile, Bobby Decordova-Reid was booked 20 minutes from time and will also be ruled out for the upcoming match. He serves a one-man suspension for picking up five yellow cards in the Premier League this season.

Manchester United play tomorrow — a top of the table clash against Liverpool at Anfield. That's the clear focus right now, but come away from Merseyside with a win and we'll be looking to get the same at Craven Cottage.

https://strettynews.com/2021/01/16/two-fulham-players-to-miss-premier-league-meeting-v-manchester-united/

WhiteJC

Parker proud of 'heroic' Fulham

Scott Parker praised his Fulham side for defending 'heroically' as the Whites were narrowly beaten by Chelsea in the west London derby having played more than 45 minutes with ten man.

The home side were so close to holding on to a precious point against their near neighbours, even after Antonee Robinson was given his marching orders for a reckless tackle on Cesar Azpilicueta in the dying seconds of the first half. Fulham's brave resistance was only broken by Mason Mount's winner with ten minutes to play. Parker, although desperately disappointed with the defeat, felt his team were excellent in nullifying Chelsea's star players. He told his post-match press conference:

I thought we defended heroically. We defended very, very well really and it is a shame that they got their noses in front. You're playing the clock a little bit second half. You get to 78 minutes and you're thinking, can we hold on?

But overall I've got nothing but admiration for my team for the way they played. Certainly first half we limited them, and 10-15 minutes before the sending off we were well in the ascendancy. We missed a big chance with Cavaleiro, and when you're us with those chances against these sorts of teams, they need to go in. And then the sending off changes the game, obviously.

Parker avoided overtly criticising referee Peter Bankes for his decision to send off Robinson – and admitted he would be discussing the incident with the American international in the coming days.

The reaction of my players, they seemed very shocked that the ref was going to give a red, but I honestly don't know and I wouldn't want to comment because I haven't seen it to make that real judgement. I've just left the changing room so I've not seen it. The game becomes a lot different for us.

Where we were growing into the game, we really got to grips with Chelsea and caused them some real problems, and Antonee was at the forefront of that with the way he was playing. He defended very well and certainly was a real outlet for us, so of course that changed the game.

I want every single one of my players to play right on the edge, I want to be aggressive, I want to be competitive. And at times when you are on that line, sometimes players may step over that. If that's the case today then that's the way it is. Antonee will learn from that and understand that. Without being on that edge, we're not going to be competitive. It's disappointing because it's probably a needless tackle but we'll go again and dust ourselves down, and get ready now for United.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/parker-proud-of-heroic-fulham/

WhiteJC

Leipzig slap £15m price tag on Lookman

Fulham will have to pay £15m to turn Ademola Lookman's loan spell from Red Bull Leipzig into a permanent deal, according to a report in the Sun.

The nippy winger has starred in his loan spell at Craven Cottage and Fulham boss Scott Parker hinted last week that he would be looking to conclude a deal to bring him back to London permanently. The ex-Everton winger has shrugged off the disappointment of a pitiful Paneka penalty that cost Fulham a point at West Ham earlier in the season to become one of the first names on Parker's teamsheet in a reshaped Whites line-up.

Lookman opened his Fulham account with a stunning individual goal at Sheffield United and grabbed the crucial opening goal in the Whites' surprise away win at high-flying Leicester City. The 23 year-old has also added three assists and his form has meant that Leipzig will look to claw back as much of the £16m they paid Everton for his services in July 2019 following a successful loan spell in Germany.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/leipzig-slap-15m-price-tag-on-lookman/

WhiteJC

Defeat 'tough to take,' says Andersen

Joachim Andersen admitted Fulham's derby day defeat was 'tough to take' after a gallant display saw the Whites match Chelsea for much of the ninety minutes at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Danish defender, outstanding at the heart of the Fulham back five again, was disappointed that his side walked away without a reward for another diligent defensive display, especially considering how well they had coped following the dismissal of left wing-back Antonee Robinson just before half-time. Andersen told FFCTV after the final whistle that he felt Scott Parker's gameplan had worked well in the first half:

I felt that in the first half we started well, but in the middle of the first half we sat down a little bit too much and they had the ball a lot but I didn't feel like they created big chances. I felt that we were comfortable and in the last part of the first half, we played some really nice football and had a big, big chance. So, with a little bit of luck, we are 1-0 up but, of course, the red card changed a lot.

He was not concerned with Chelsea having a lot of the ball and said that Fulham have been working hard on their defensive shape at Motspur Park:

I think it is normal when you play against good opponents and that's what we've been good at. In the recent games, we are comfortable at being behind the ball and be ready to counter – and when we can, play some nice bits. Today we showed that we can do that.

Attention swiftly turns to another tough test against Manchester United with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side heading to London for Wednesday night's fixture:

Luckily, we have one more day to prepare, but of course, it is a huge opponent as well and I think they are quite similar to Chelsea. Again, we have to switch on and we have to be ready. We need to get some points and Wednesday is a good chance.

Andersen insisted that the Fulham squad has a strong spirit and that belief remains high despite the end of their six-match unbeaten run.

I think it is really, really good the way everyone is fighting. Since I came, I feel everyone wants to be involved, everyone wants to play, everyone wants to show their qualities. It is unbelievable how much the offensive players [put in] – they work so hard and that makes it easier for us guys at the back, so I'm really happy with everyone.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/defeat-tough-to-take-says-andersen/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth man Josh King's 'stunning' wage demands revealed after West Ham move stalls – Fulham join race, but summer move more likely now

Fulham have joined Aston Villa and Newcastle United in the race to sign Bournemouth's Josh King this month, with Everton 'cooling their interest'.

The Norway man has been the subject of transfer speculation throughout the entire season.

It started with summer links to both Manchester United and West Ham, with European links in there too. But King would remain at Bournemouth and endure a contested start to the season.

Injury blighted the beginning of his campaign and since, the 29-year-old has made 10 Championship appearances without scoring, most of them coming from the bench.

Now though, The Sun on Sunday (17.01.21, pg. 59) reports that Fulham have joined the race to sign King this month, but the striker is holding out for a £120,000-a-week deal.

Yesterday, reports broke that King and West Ham United were in talks to seal their prospective move. King's wage demands would prove a final hurdle though and now it seems West Ham, like Everton, might cool their interest.

The Toffees see King as a 'squad option' rather than a regular first-team starter.

All of Aston Villa, Fulham and Newcastle though are said to be willing to wait until summer and so too is King, who The Sun on Sunday reports is hoping for a deal similar to his old teammate's Callum Wilson who joined Newcastle in the summer.

Bournemouth then look likely to lose King in the summer – extortionate wages to be demanding for a striker with no Championship goals this season, and his summer move might yet fall through because of it.

https://the72.co.uk/215645/bournemouth-mans-wage-stunning-demands-revealed-after-west-ham-move-stalls-fulham-join-race-but-summer-move-more-likely-now/

WhiteJC

Ivan Cavaleiro showed his inconsistency once again against Chelsea

Fulham fell to a 1-0 defeat against Chelsea at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon, with Ivan Cavaleiro, in particular, disappointing with his performance for Scott Parker's side.

Whilst Antonee Robinson's red card was the turning point, as he received his marching orders after a poor tackle on Cesar Azpilicueta, it was perhaps the performance of Cavaleiro that will disappoint Parker the most.

The Portuguese winger was excellent in Fulham's draw against Spurs in midweek, earning a 7.7 rating from SofaScore after his equalising goal, which was the best of any Cottagers player.

Unfortunately, consistency has been an issue for the former Wolves man throughout his time with Fulham, and Saturday's performance against Chelsea emphasised this, as he earned a 7.0 rating, with only Ademola Lookman, Bobby Decordova-Reid and Robinson rated lower of the Fulham players who started the game.

Chelsea's centre-backs Thiago Silva and Antonio Rudiger would earn 8.0 and 7.8 ratings respectively and both won the vast majority of their duels, suggesting that Cavaleiro didn't cause them nearly enough problems.

As per SofaScore, Cavaleiro would have just 41 touches of the ball against Frank Lampard's side, completing just 17/22 of his passes, which was only four more passes than goalkeeper Alphonse Areola would complete during the game.

The 27-year-old, who earns £60k per week at Fulham, would attempt two crosses during the game and none of them were accurate, suggesting that he was wasteful when presented with the opportunity to create on Saturday.

With Aleksandar Mitrovic out of form, Fulham are reliant on Cavaleiro to hold the ball up front, but he struggled to win duels against Chelsea. He would win just three out of seven ground duels, and one out of six aerial duels, resulting in an overall success rate of just 31%.

This demonstrates that he struggled a lot more than he did on Wednesday night against Spurs for example, where he would win four out of six total duels.

Despite grabbing a goal in midweek, the forward did not look confident in front of goal, and missed a glorious chance to give Fulham the lead in the first half following a flowing move, with Kenny Tete visibly frustrated that his teammate was unable to hit the target after he found him in space in the area.

Therefore, despite Robinson's red card, Parker will surely be frustrated that Cavaleiro was unable to have any real impact on the game.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-fc-news/ivan-cavaleiro-chelsea-fulham-scott-parker-antonee-robinson

WhiteJC

Everton poised to 'drop out' of race for Bournemouth man- Fulham also linked

Everton could turn their attentions elsewhere from signing AFC Bournemouth's Josh King.

The Toffees have been linked with a move for the Championship attacker in this transfer window.

However, King is demanding £120,000 a week which could see him price himself out of a Premier League move this winter, according to The Sun on Sunday (17.01.21, pg. 59).

King, who is 29 years old, is out of contract at Bournemouth and his future continues to hang in the balance at the moment. The likes of Aston Villa, Fulham and Newcastle United have also been credited with an interest in him as well but they may wait until the summer when he's free.

King has made 11 appearances for Jason Tindall's side in all competitions this season and has scored twice.

He joined Bournemouth in 2015 and has chipped in with in 52 goals over the past five years.

He started his career at Manchester United and made two appearances for their first-team as a youngster. He had also loan spells away at Preston North End, Borussia Monchengladbach, Hull City and Blackburn Rovers to gain experience.

Blackburn made his move to Ewood Park permanent in 2013 and he scored eight goals in 74 matches for the Lancashire side before Bournemouth signed him in 2015.

King has been a good servant for the Cherries but his time there appears to be coming to an end. They will want to sell him this month to get a fee for him but there are currently no takers.

https://the72.co.uk/215669/everton-poised-to-drop-out-of-race-for-bournemouth-man-fulham-also-linked/