Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Thursday
Liverpool
0-1
Burnley

WhiteJC

Fulham showing more than just grit and passion, insists Parker after Man United defeat

Fulham's 2-1 defeat to table-topping Man United extended the winless run to seven games, but Scott Parker was full of praise for the spirit and quality his side showed in going 'toe-to-toe' with United.

Ademola Lookman, relishing a new role through the centre of the attack, fired in an early goal but a world class strike from Paul Pogba won it in the second half after a first-half fumble by keeper Alphonse Areola allowed Edinson Cavani to equalise for the visitors.

"I'm proud but also disappointed. We managed to get our nose in front, but then a mistake and a 35-yard screamer from a world class player has defined the game," said Whites boss Scott Parker. 

"I don't think this is a team just operating on spirit, on desire, on passion. I think you can see that in abundance, but I think it's also clear to see there's some real quality here. This is a team fighting for their lives, but also with a real threat about us. We'll keep believing.

"I think we had the first big chance of the second half and a couple after that and you need to take those chances really and we haven't managed to do that and haven't managed to do that enough in the last few games. It's certainly an area where we need to get better.

"We've worked relentlessly to give ourselves a more solid platform in games and that box seems to have been ticked. We now need to look at the other side – how we can take our chances in the big moments. I think that will probably be the difference for us."

Parker added: "We've come out of a run of nine games against Leicester, Man City, Liverpool to Chelsea and a team that's going to fight for the championship this year and went toe to toe with them, so I'm very proud of them. We'll keep going and keep pushing on.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer described Lookman's early strike as the 'wake-up call' United needed to kick-start their win.

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/fulham-showing-more-than-just-grit-and-passion-insists-parker-after-man-united-defeat

WhiteJC

Fulham are 'listening to offers for Stefan Johansen, Maxime Le Marchand and Jean Michael Seri' as Scott Parker looks to free up transfer funds for new signings this month

Fulham are prepared to let a number of fringe players leave the club this month
    Stefan Johansen, Maxime Le Marchand and Jean Michael Seri could all depart
    The Cottagers are considering offers as they look to free up vital transfer funds

Fulham are considering offers for Stefan Johansen, Maxime Le Marchand and Jean Michael Seri, according to reports.

Scott Parker wants to strengthen his squad for the second half of the season as he looks to maintain the club's top flight status but he will also need to move on players who are not part of his plans.

According to Sky Sports, Johansen, Le Marchand and Seri could be the first three on their way out of Craven Cottage with the club weighing up the offers they have received.

Fulham are listening to offers for stars including Stefan Johansen (L) and Jean Michael Seri (R)

Johansen, who was left out of the club's Premier League squad, is said to be wanted by Queens Park Rangers.

The 30-year-old is experienced in the Championship with 126 of his 142 Fulham appearances coming in the second tier. His current deal is set to expire in 2022.

Galatasaray are hopeful of completing a loan deal for Seri after the midfielder spent last season with the Turkish side.

The midfielder has not featured in any of Fulham's Premier League games with his two appearances coming in the Carabao Cup.

Nice are hoping to re-sign defender Maxime Le Marchand after he left the French club in 2018

Seri played 37 times for the Super Lig club in the 2019-2020 campaign. The 29-year-old's contract expires in 2022 but he has the option to extend by a further year.

Nice are negotiating a deal to re-sign Marchand, who they sold to Fulham in 2018.

The defender has played twice for Parker's side this season with both games resulting in defeat.

The centre back spent the majority of the 2019-2020 campaign sidelined by a back injury. The season before saw him play 26 games in the top flight as the club were relegated.

Fulham are four points from safety after their 2-1 defeat by Manchester United at home, but face two crucial games against West Brom and Brighton before the end of the month.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9171323/Fulham-listening-offers-Stefan-Johansen-Maxime-Le-Marchand-Jean-Michael-Seri.html

WhiteJC

Fulham set conditions to let player go – Several clubs interested in January deal

It seems the race to sign Fulham midfielder Jean Michael Seri is growing ahead of the end of the January transfer window.

Earlier today, we had already covered claims from France which said Bordeaux and Nice are both in for him. Their interest was added to Porto's, who were linked to the 29-year-old earlier this month and were said to be on the lead.

Now it's time for more updates, this time claiming Galatasaray are in for Seri as well.

It's Eurosport's Manu Lonjon who reports that the Turkish giants are willing to sign the midfielder on a loan deal. They already had him on a temporary spell last season and want him back.

Fulham, however, will work to get a good deal out of it. The report says the Whites want Galatasaray to pay for Seri's entire wages, and have the obligation to buy him at the end of the loan.

With so many clubs chasing the player, it becomes a lot likelier that the London side will be able to push for a good agreement for his departure.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-set-conditions-let-player-go-several-clubs-interested-january-deal/

WhiteJC

Lookman: Raise The Bar

Despite another gutsy performance, Ademola Lookman was left downbeat after Fulham failed to take any points from their meeting with Manchester United.

After Lookman had fired his side into an early lead, the visitors responded through a soft Edinson Cavani equaliser, and a Paul Pogba wonderstrike.

"I'm just disappointed really, especially having taken the lead," he told fulhamfc.com. "The goals we conceded, we could do a lot better on those.

"We know that as players, so we need to rectify those mistakes."

United went top of the table with the win, so can the Whites take positives from the fact that there was virtually nothing between the sides throughout the 90 minutes?

"Most definitely," Lookman said. "We still feel we can raise our performance, raise the bar, keep on raising the levels, and we'll look to do that.

"This is the Premier League, every single game is hard. Everybody knows that and I feel like if we can just keep on applying what we do every single day in training and work on the little details, I think we'll be good."

The 23-year-old's sharp finish had given Fulham the perfect start, but he wasn't keen to accept personal praise for what ultimately turned out to be a consolation goal: "We didn't get the three points. To me, the three points is more important than my goal."

After going toe-to-toe with Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and United in our last three outings, we now do battle with those closer to us in the standings.

After hosting Burnley in the Emirates FA Cup on Sunday, we go into a huge week where we travel to both Brighton and West Brom.

"We know how important those two games are, but also the next game against Burnley in the cup," Lookman stated.

"Every single game is important for us, it's another opportunity to perform, another opportunity to show people that we're still fighting, that we want to do well as a team, do well individually.

"We're coming off the back of a loss against Manchester United but we've got to keep on doing our jobs, keep on working hard as we look to get those wins."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/Lookman-Raise-The-Bar/

WhiteJC

After outbreaks at Aston Villa, Newcastle, Man City and Fulham is it time to pause Football?
I will keep watching the Premier League at the end of every lockdown, groundhog day and wondering whether I should be still enjoying it or not.

Before I get into this article, I should say, of course I don't want Football to stop. My days in lockdown generally end with whichever Premier League game is on that night. Without football at the end of the day, juggling the day job and home-schooling the kids, would be much less enjoyable. However, the question is, morally, during this unprecedented global pandemic, is it right that Football continues?

Yesterday the UK has recorded its deadliest day in the coronavirus pandemic, as the Government's chief scientific adviser warned parts of the NHS were like a "war zone". 1,820 further deaths within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 were reported.

With that in mind the Premier League have brought in new restrictions including the banning of celebrations, shirt swapping and spitting...good luck with that.  Watching the games over the weekend, just like before lockdown, every time the camera cut to a close up of a player...he was spitting. Thiago Silva of Chelsea was also filmed throwing his shirt into the stands, which didn't look great.

James Maddison
However, there were examples of good behaviour over the weekend. Leicester's James Maddison leading the way with a nice celebration of air high 5's and handshakes. But apart from that though, there was just the usual hugs, cuddles and pile-ons.

When the first lockdown happened, it was like Coronavirus was taking place exclusively on the news. I didn't know anyone who was seriously ill or had even contracted the virus. Like many people, I didn't take it seriously until Tom Hanks got it. That isn't the case now. Many people I know have either got it or had it, friends, family, colleagues and of course footballers. There are lots of clubs who have had outbreaks. Aston Villa, Newcastle, Man City and Fulham, in the Premier League alone.

Over the past few weeks, Premier League managers have been asked incessantly whether football should carry on, with varying responses. Call me cynical but it seems as though the managers whose teams are winning don't want football to stop, whereas those who are losing, wouldn't mind taking a break. Perhaps that's just a coincidence...

Newcastle
At Newcastle the whole first team squad was struck down with the virus before Christmas. Even now their two most influential players Allan Saint Maximin and Captain, Jamal Lascelles are suffering from long Covid. Lascelles played a full 90 mins against Arsenal this week, but ASM is still only in light training.

Obviously, in this situation, money talks. There is too much of it involved here for the Premier League to postpone fixtures. The only turn of events that would make them rethink a postponement, is if a player became seriously ill or even worse. We know this virus doesn't discriminate and effects the young and fit, as well as the old and not so fit.

Anyway, we will wait and see what the powers that be decide to do. I will keep watching the Premier League at the end of every lockdown, groundhog day and wondering whether I should be still enjoying it or not.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/sport/football/after-outbreaks-at-aston-villa-newcastle-man-city-and-fulham-is-it-time-to-pause-football/21/01/

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest: Darren Bent slams Reds duo following Middlesbrough defeat

Former Premier League striker slammed Nottingham Forest pair Joe Worrall and Cyrus Christie following their 2-1 defeat against Middlesbrough on Wednesday night.

Bent not impressed

The Reds suffered their first defeat of 2021, seeing an end to their seven game unbeaten run at the hands of Neil Warnock's side.

Boro's Britt Assombalonga and George Saville scored either side of half-time before Forest fired back in second-half stoppage time through Loic Mbe Soh. Forest's miserable evening was capped off after Yuri Ribeiro was sent off after appearing to stamp on Saville.

But it was the first goal that was the main focus of attention. Both Worrall and Christie looked to be more concerned about the offside rather than marking Assombalonga in the penalty area.

Speaking with EFL on Quest, Bent was critical of both players over their involvement in Boro's opener.

He said: "It was really poor and lazy defending from Joe Worrall and Cyrus Christie, just sticking their hand up and letting Assombalonga get in there."

Transfer Tavern Verdict

Middlesbrough put an end to a strong run that Forest were on. In the manner it happened, it's difficult to disagree with what Bent is saying here.

Both Worrall and Christie was clearly focusing on the linesman as they were caught out by the pass from Jonny Howson.

It's a harsh lesson for the pair to learn and hopefully, for their sake, has not undone all of the hard work they have already put in this season.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/nottingham-forest-news/nottingham-forest-darren-bent-slams-reds-duo-following-middlesbrough-defeat/

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Parker hails Lookman's 'first class' performance against Manchester United

The Nigerian forward has earned the praise of his boss following his spectacular display against the Red Devils

Fulham manager Scott Parker has rated the performance of Ademola Lookman against Manchester United as 'first-class'.

The 23-year-old delivered an impactful display for the Cottagers in their 2-1 defeat to the Red Devils in Wednesday's Premier League game.

The Nigerian forward put the Craven Cottage outfit in front in the encounter with a fine effort after a fine combination with Cameroon international Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men, however, fought back with strikes from Edinson Cavani and Paul Pogba to clinch all three points.

Parker has lauded the impressive performance from the forward, who is on loan with the club from RB Leipzig until the end of the season.

"We changed it up tonight in terms of Ade and getting central and I thought he was first class," Parker said in a press conference.

"Obviously it worked to a tee with the first goal. He had a lot of time on his hands when he went through and his finish was deadly.

"We've been looking at ways where we can get people in the right areas, that can score the goals for us and that worked.

"He is going to be vital for us this year. Everyone has seen in a short space of time he's been with us he's quality, outstanding. He's a player in this team that scores goals for us. That's what we need and he proved that tonight."

Lookman has been turning heads since he teamed up with Fulham, having now scored three goals and provided three assists in 16 appearances across all competitions.

With the efforts, the Nigerian forward remains the highest contributor to Fulham's goals this season, a performance, Parker believes the winger can be proud of.

"He needs to relish it. Big player, young player still who is thriving and getting a run of games he's probably not had over the last couple of years," he continued.

"He's operating in the best league in the world against the best defenders and showing his quality every single week.

"He's a huge player, someone who is going to be the difference-maker at the top end of the pitch. He needs to keep on improving and doing that."

Lookman will hope to continue his sizzling performances when Fulham take on Burnley in an FA Cup tie on Sunday.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/fulham-manager-parker-hails-lookmans-first-class-performance/a7z0cj44iws41tmd9iflbhfss

WhiteJC

Lucas Piazon slams Chelsea for keeping him in the dark over his future while being sent out on loan SEVEN TIMES in nine years... as he insists he 'never had a chance' to impress because of big-money signings

Lucas Piazon has opened up on the struggles he endured while at Chelsea
    Piazon was sent out on loan seven times during a nine-year stint with the Blues
    The Brazilian says he was left in the dark when it came to his future at the club
    He was keen on making his move to Fulham permanent but it never materialised
    Piazon sealed a move to Braga last week and will be a free agent this summer

Lucas Piazon has hit out at Chelsea for leaving him in the dark over the years when it came to his future and insists that he was never given the chance to shine at Stamford Bridge.

The Brazilian has opened up on the struggles he endured as a Blues player and how the club's loan policy never really benefited him since he joined in 2012.

Now, just a week after leaving to join Braga until the end of the season, Piazon reveals that life in west London started brightly before the constant managerial changes quickly turned life at the Bridge into a nightmare.

Lucas Piazon has opened up on the struggles he endured during his nine-year stint at Chelsea

'When I turned 18, I was on the bench for the first time under [Andre] Villas-Boas, and then the season finished. And then it wasn't him anymore it was [Roberto] Di Matteo,' Piazon told Oh My Goal.

'Di Matteo then kept me in the first team and I was with them every day. I played two games in September, then I played just another game in December. And then it wasn't Di Matteo anymore but Rafael Benitez.

'Then I went on loan and when I came back, Benitez wasn't there anymore. It was already Jose [Mourinho] there, I think. Jose was there so it wasn't very easy to get a chance.'

After going out on loan to Malaga in 2013, Piazon returned to Chelsea and things became even more complicated for the Brazilian.

'To be honest, we would come back and we would go to pre-season with the new coach and the new players were coming in from the summer and they were always like, "if you do well the coach might keep you". But deep down inside we knew that we didn't have a chance because they were paying big money for the players and the club would definitely use them.

'We knew that we would be there for three, four or five weeks and they would then try to send us out on loan again.'

In total, Piazon was sent out on loan a staggering seven times during his nine-year stint with the Blues and was technically their longest-serving player before walking away from the club last week.

He made just three senior appearances for the Blues.

'In the beginning I felt like Chelsea really wanted me and really wanted me to do well and come back,' he adds. 'But after the third or fourth loan, I knew it was just maybe business. [It was] like "you go into the world and someone will buy you and you will be happy about – you're not going to play here anymore".'

While the winger would travel the world and experience different leagues, his value would never really increase, leaving him in limbo when the transfer market reopened.

'I'll give you an example,' Piazon said. 'When I went from Holland to Germany, it was a completely different world because the German league is totally different from the Dutch league. The team I was playing for in Holland was totally different from the team I was playing for in Germany.

'The way they wanted to play, what the coach wanted from me in one place and what the coach wanted from me in the other place – it took time to adapt and to adjust to what he wants and what the team wants.

'Maybe if I stayed in Germany I would've done a better job because it was a big change you know. It's always a big change and it takes time you know. You have to be patient but when you're on loan there is no patience.

'The pressure on you to perform is huge because you are from Chelsea.'

While going out on loan had it's own struggles, Piazon grew frustrated at the Blues after they failed to tell him where his future lied.

He wanted to make his loan move to Fulham permanent after helping the gain promotion

'(At Fulham) I was sure that I was going to stay there. I had two great seasons there and I loved the club. I loved the group – we had two amazing years together and in my mind, I was definitely going to go there.'

Having helped Fulham gain promotion to the Premier League while playing a crucial role in the club's success, Piazon wasn't given the opportunity to play for the Cottagers permanently while not being told a reason for it.

'I still don't know,' Piazon said when asked about a permanent move to Fulham. 'We had another player from Chelsea there called Thomas Kalas. He also didn't stay. Until now we still don't know if the offer that Fulham made Chelsea was enough or if Fulham even made an offer for us.

'That was tough because I spent two years there and I had a great connection with the club, with the fans and not being able to stay there in the Premier League was frustrating.'

While Piazon concedes that the constant moving around was 'tough', he says he has no regrets over his career.

'It was tough to be honest but I don't regret it,' he added. 'I don't regret going to Spain at that age, going to Holland, going to Germany. It was good experience and I played in the top leagues. I enjoyed it.

'Of course it would be better to be in one place.'

Piazon sealed a move to Braga last week and is now looking to the future, with his Chelsea deal ending in the summer.

'My deal with Chelsea ends in the summer so I'll be a free agent,' he says. 'But I'll guess I'll just stay in Portugal. That's the idea. I want to stay here and find a club. Even if it's not Rio Ave, which is a club I really enjoyed and thankful for, I would like to stay here.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9172119/Lucas-Piazon-slams-Chelsea-keeping-dark-future-nine-year-stint.html

WhiteJC

How would Stefan Johansen fit into the QPR XI if he signed? We take a look...

Queens Park Rangers may still be looking to add to their squad between now and the end of the transfer window in just under two weeks from now, with several names still getting linked.

The Hoops have already brought in the likes of Charlie Austin and Jordy de Wijs at either end of the field but could now look to add in the middle now as well, with Stefan Johansen linked.

The Fulham man has gradually fallen out of favour under Scott Parker and is certainly low on the pecking order at Craven Cottage at the moment, with them fighting for safety in the Premier League.

Sean Gallagher reports that the Hoops are interested in a loan deal for a player that could fit in in a number of ways.

Rangers boss Mark Warburton likes players who, thanks to QPR being only able to have a small squad, can do a number of roles and Johansen fits the bill.

He's a busy player that likes to play in the middle of the park and can offer something in both the attacking and defensive midfield areas.

That in mind, if he's attacking we could see the likes of Ilias Chair played out on the left, something we've seen before, with the Norwegian potentially then playing off of Charlie Austin – though Chair has had a good season and this perhaps seems less likely than Johansen playing deeper.

In the more defensive role, meanwhile, he'd likely be the legs in the midfield two alongside Geoff Cameron – providing he is no longer asked to play in defence now De Wijs has arrived.

Certainly, he is a player similar to Dom Ball in the sense that he can play in several positions through the middle of the pitch – though Ball also has centre-half capability – and offers up a range of options for Warburton to try and keep his central midfield options fresh.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/how-would-stefan-johansen-fit-into-the-qpr-xi-if-he-signed-we-take-a-look/

WhiteJC

Virtual Mascot Scheme Launched

We are delighted to launch our Virtual Mascot Scheme for the remainder of the 2020/21 campaign!

With football taking place behind closed doors, traditional mascot packages have been unavailable since last season. However, supporters between the ages of 4-12 can now enjoy a unique matchday experience from home, becoming an official Virtual Fulham FC Mascot at our remaining home Premier League fixtures.

Open to 2019/20 Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members, three lucky winners will be selected each match and receive the following benefits:

Personalised digital letter from Scott Parker
    Personalised video message from a First Team player
    Personalised digital Matchday Mascot Certificate
    Unique code for 40% off any 20/21 Junior Home, Away or Goalkeeper Kits from the Online Store
    Your name and/or image to appear on the Craven Cottage LED display boards & big screen
    Your name and/or image to appear in the Official Matchday Programme and pre-match email
    Your name and/or image to appear on fulhamfc.com and social media channels

The Fulham FC Virtual Mascot package is free, and parents can sign their child up using the registration form below. Three places will be allocated at each home Premier League matchday, with winners and fixtures selected at random.

Supporters who win a mascot place will be contacted by the Club via email no later than seven days before the selected match.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/january/Virtual-Mascot-Scheme-Launched/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Burnley: FA Cup prediction, TV channel, live stream, team news, h2h results, latest odds

Fulham host Burnley at Craven Cottage on Sunday in an all-Premier League affair in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Scott Parker's men reached this stage of the competition after beating fellow west Londoners QPR after extra-time in round three.

Burnley, meanwhile, needed a penalty shootout to overcome League One side MK Dons in their third-round tie, having only forced extra-time thanks to Matej Vydra's 94th-minute equaliser.

Date, kick-off time and venue

Fulham vs Burnley is scheduled for a 2:30pm kick-off on Sunday, January 24, 2020.

The game will take place behind closed doors at Craven Cottage because of current coronavirus restrictions.

How to watch

TV channel: The game will be televised on BT Sport 1 Extra.

Live stream: Subscribers can stream the match live on the BT Sport website and app.

Team news

Aleksandar Mitrovic returned as a substitute in the defeat against Manchester United at the weekend and Scott Parker may see this cup game as the ideal chance for the Serbian to try to find some goalscoring form.

Beyond his forward line, Parker is likely to rotate, having settled upon a first-choice league side in recent week amid an upturn in form.

Prediction: Fulham 1-0 Burnley

Neither of these sides have the FA Cup as their highest priority this season and neither have particularly deep squads either so rotation could well see a significant drop in quality.

But there is growing confidence in the Fulham camp and that may be enough to give Parker's men the edge at home.

Head to head (h2h) history and results

Fulham wins: 31
    Draws: 19
    Burnley wins: 46
    Last meeting: Burnley 2-1 Fulham (January 12, 2019)

Bettings odds and tips (subject to change)

Fulham to win: 6/5
    Draw: 5/2
    Burnley to win: 12/5

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-vs-burnley-fa-cup-prediction-tv-channel-watch-live-stream-team-news-odds-h2h-results-preview-b900688.html

WhiteJC

Fulham would be quite smart to take a punt on this 24-year-old League One star and here's why

Why Fulham should take a punt on Siriki Dembele in January
According to The Sun, Fulham have been handed a massive boost in their pursuit of Peterborough United forward Siriki Dembele.

The 24-year-old has been in sparkling form for the League One outfit this season and has also attracted interest from Championship promotion-hopefuls Watford and Bournemouth. The report claims that Dembele has now handed in an official transfer request at London Road as he prepares to force through a move to a higher level this month. (h/t The Sun)

Born in the Ivory Coast, Siriki Dembele started his footballing education at Dundee United and Ayr United in Scotland. He had a brief stint at the Nike Academy from where he was plucked out by Grimsby Town in League Two. The speedster scored 4 times in 39 appearances for the fourth-tier outfit in 2017-18 before being transferred to Peterborough United in League One.

Dembele has progressed by leaps and bounds over the course of his last couple of seasons at Peterborough. He has particularly caught the eye with his improvement this term, registering 5 goals and 6 assists in 20 league appearances so far. The versatile forward has been an irrepressible driving force behind the Posh's surge for promotion in the third tier.

The 24-year-old has bagged an impressive tally of 19 goals and 23 assists in 99 appearances for Peterborough United in all competitions. Dembele's exploits have been enough to put several clubs higher up the pyramid on red alert.

More depth and quality?
Fulham currently find themselves languishing 18th in the standings after a dismal first half of the season. Scott Parker's side have managed just a couple of wins from 18 games so far, accumulating 12 points in the process. The Cottagers, though, still have a fair chance of beating the drop, with the club just 4 points adrift of safety (at the time of writing).

Having said that, however, Fulham surely need more firepower in the final third to preserve their top-flight status. The West Londoners have scored just 15 goals in the Premier League, with only Sheffield United scoring fewer goals so far in the division.

Star striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has found himself in and out of the playing XI due to his struggles with injuries. Even when fit, the Serb has failed to hit the heights he is capable of. Parker has relied heavily on Ivan Cavaleiro to deliver the goods in front of goal but the Portuguese star has scored just twice in 16 league appearances so far.

With Aboubakar Kamara also offering very little from the bench, Fulham should have one eye on options to strengthen their forward line this month. Putting things into context, a potential deal for Peterborough's Siriki Dembele would definitely be a step in the right direction as far as the Cottagers are concerned.

Dembele has proven himself to be a cut above the rest in his humble surroundings in League One. While a direct step up to the Premier League is a long shot, the Ivorian-born forward apparently has the potential to make the transition to more competitive surroundings. Plus, his versatility to operate anywhere across the forward line should also offer Fulham more options heading into a hectic winter schedule.

Verdict
Peterborough have a reputation of nurturing rough diamonds and selling them on at a profit. The likes of Dwight Gayle, Britt Assombalonga and Jack Marriott have all been unearthed by the Posh and Siriki Dembele looks like a player in a similar mould.

With quality players hard to come by in the January market, Fulham should not hesitate to take a punt on the Peterborough star to bolster their attack this month.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2021/01/22/why-fulham-should-take-a-punt-on-siriki-dembele-in-january/

WhiteJC

Jack and Loz Not at the Cottage - Blog 160

Date: 20th January 2021

Opposition: Manchester United

Score: 1-2

Fulham goal scorer: Ademola Lookman

MOTM (football): a tie between the indefatigable Kenny Tete in his best game for us - he gets from one end of the pitch to the other so quickly that teleporting must be involved and he always puts in a good tackle or cross when he gets there - and Harrison Reed, also in one of his best games for us - he was constantly hustling and Harrying the Man U attackers and breaking up the game while managing to drive forward and cause their defence problems too

MOTM (non-football): Marcus Rashford is looking out for the welfare and safety of millions of children in England and, almost single-handedly, it sometimes feels, holding the government to account. He is good at football too. He is an inspiration to us all but we're glad he didn't score on Wednesday night

Dinner: Loz- aubergine curry; Jack - veggie stir fry

This has to stop. It has to end now. No more Mitro Mystery, Cav's Calamities or has Ruben Turned-Up? Most of all, this has to be the end of Fulham playing well (really well in fact) but falling just short.

We've all talked a lot recently about how Fulham look like a Premier League team and just as good as Liverpool/Leicester/Spurs/Southampton/[insert name of top 8 team of choice]. It was therefore notable on Wednesday night that for most of the game we actually didn't look as good as Man U but such is the spirit of the team and the resilience of the defence that they clung on to the lead, fought to preserve the draw and then battled to wrestle back a point as if their lives depended on it.

Once again this was an assured display from the defence. Unlike Fulham, who have no strikers, Man U had about 5 but most of the time Andersen & Co held them at bay. Tosin was particularly good and Tete, as we have already mentioned, coped easily with the quality of the opposition. Joe Bryan played well but he just isn't as dynamic and forceful as the suspended Robinson and we can't help wondering if Saturday's mistimed tackle has cost us yet another point.

The defence were only undone by bad luck (if only Areola had gathered the ball better! If only Cavani's greasy hair had got in his eyes!) and a wonder strike. The game was lost because of continued failings at the other end of the pitch. We have all said it before but with his tangled legs in the six yard box he proved it again: Cav isn't a striker. He has good qualities but composure and reaction in front of goal aren't on the list. Lookman is an exceptional talent as he proved with his pace, vision and excellent finish, but he can't do it all by himself. We missed Bobby and in the first half Ruben Wasn't-There either. To be fair, RLC improved dramatically in the second half and looked like a threat but then transformed into Ruben Whatta-Miss as soon as he had a sight of goal.

We need a striker. We know it, Scott knows it, Tony Khan knows it, the rest of the league knows it. It really is that simple. If our attack improves as much as our defence then we can stay up.

As for the game itself, it was a good one. Man U are scrambling to the top of the table but Fulham didn't show them much respect. We started well with Lookman confounding the United defence, Frank taking charge in the middle and the defence standing firm. We expected Man U to play their way into the game but they did more than that and took control of the first half. Soon Areola's goal was under more or less constant bombardment from United's merciless strike force. Everyone was behind the ball, closing ranks and skirmishing on the edge of the box. Sometimes we could hoof the ball away but there was no Fulham player to receive it and United would simply regroup and attack again.

Areola could have done better for the first goal but he has done so much right in recent games that we can't blame him for a mistake on a wild and windy night on a slick and slippery pitch. Other than that single error, the defence, although run ragged and looking desperate for half time dealt with every attack Man U could construct.

The second half was fast and frantic both before and after the wonder goal. United looked dangerous every time they went forwards. Fulham looked dangerous every time we went forward until we got to the final third. Frank and Lookman faded but RLC showed us some of what he can do and Harrison Reed was everywhere- snapping, scrapping, grappling.

Scott got his subs right but brought them on much too late. It was the calm and determined AK who entered the fray, not the unpredictable immature one, and his pass for Ruben Whatta-Miss's er....miss was sublime. It was good to see Lemina back (and not at Harrison's expense) and was there something, just a glimmer, just a moment in the maelstrom of the old Mitro? The presence, the desire, the hunger for a goal?

It isn't a surprise that the early lead was too hard to hang onto and this wasn't a game which we deserved to win. But we deserved to play it and what we have to prove now is that we deserve to stay in the Premier League.

Random musings:-

- unusually, the ref had a good game

- this was the first match where Scott's side have scored the first goal and lost. That's disappointing but it's bit like the Brighton match bringing an end to the record of no goalless draws at the Cottage. It had to happen sometime.

- United decided to attack the Hammy End in the second half - usually a dirty tactic but a bit random when there are no fans in the ground......

- .......but what we wouldn't have given to have been there....

The way the team fought to the end of this match against strong opposition was very impressive but the result remains the same. We cannot win. We are through this very difficult run of games and have come away with a few scraped together points and limited damage to our goal difference. But now is the time to step up. Now the good performances must be converted into points. Now, from somewhere, the goals must come.

https://werdsmith.com/p/x3x2A2Erhcatw

filham

Johansen to QPR ? He is too good for them and if he is even considering the move they should have a chauffeur driven rolls at the Cottage door ready to make the trip to Loftus Road.