watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 23/01/21...

Started by WhiteJC, January 23, 2021, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Charlie Taylor injury update and the likely Burnley line-up for FA Cup tie at Fulham

Left back was forced off in the Premier League win over Liverpool with a hamstring injury

Burnley will be without left back Charlie Taylor for the FA Cup trip to Fulham on Sunday after the Clarets man suffered a minor hamstring injury in the Premier League win over Liverpool in midweek.

The 27-year-old was forced off early in the second half at Anfield with a recurrence of an injury that had previously sidelined him for nearly a month.

And while the most recent problem is not thought to be a long-term problem, Burnley boss Sean Dyche won't risk the former Leeds United man at Craven Cottage.

The Clarets boss is expected to shuffle his pack for the cup clash, which is a 2.30pm kick off, with fringe players expected to be given minutes.

Burnley are in the midst of a hectic schedule with Aston Villa, Chelsea and Manchester City to come in the next two weeks while a win this weekend would mean a fifth round tie at home to Bournemouth or Crawley in mid February,

And so changes are likely for the clash with the Cottagers.

"I am not expecting to have Charlie," said Dyche when asked about the team news.

"By Saturday we will be looking at what we have available which should be good. There are very good players who are not playing at the moment so I certainly believe in them.

"We will take a view as a staff on what side we can put together that we believe can win down at Fulham.

"It is a busy period and we all understand the reasons for these busy times and the way the games are crunched together.

"Some of the formatting I suggest could be different but we understand the TV companies want the games out there and the fans as well.

"We are going to take on the challenge. We have to get players recovered, getting them well and ready to go again.

"We have a lot of players coming back to fitness, maybe not Premier League fit but they are coming back to being injury free so that is important.

"We will have to look at what team we put out to make sure we get results whilst not losing players again because it is very important we do keep the players fit and not just for one game but games beyond this busy spell."

Midfielder Jack Cork is likely to come into the side as he continues to build match sharpness having made his return to the fold after injury in the third round win over MK Dons.

Strikers Jay Rodriguez and Matej Vydra, midfielder Dale Stephens, defenders Phil Bardsley and Kevin Long and goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell could also come into contention.

Dyche must make a call whether to start either Johann Berg Gudmundsson or Robbie Brady out wide given their injury problems in recent months while youngsters Josh Benson. Anthony Glennon and Joel Mumbongo will also hope to be involved.

Predicted Burnley XI: Peacock-Farrell, Bardsley, Long, Mee, Pieters; Gudmundsson, Cork, Stephens. McNeil; Rodriguez. Vydra

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/charlie-taylor-burnley-injury-list-19684150

WhiteJC

Stefan Johansen and QPR: What do we know so far? Is a move likely to happen this month?

Stefan Johansen appears a man in demand at the moment and his immediate future could well lie away from Fulham for the rest of this season at the very least.

The energetic midfielder was a regular face in the Lilywhites' team during their last spell in the Championship but perhaps began to fall out of favour towards the end of their time in the second tier.

Indeed, he's certainly lower on the pecking order at Craven Cottage than he would like these days and Sky Sports is reporting that the Cottagers are open to offers for him.

For QPR, then, the door is open.

As things stand, The Athletic is reporting that both the Hoops and fellow Championship side Blackburn Rovers are taking a look at the midfielder with a view to a loan deal.

Indeed, with the R's recently being hit with a significant injury to Tom Carroll, their midfield options are looking stretched with Luke Amos already out and others having to fill in with Bright Osayi-Samuel set to feature little by the looks of things.

Mark Warburton has confirmed, too, that the R's are looking at getting in a new midfielder this month with that in mind, speaking to the club's official Twitter, and so it could be Johansen that comes in.

What will decide that, though, is how much they can put towards his wages and whether Fulham think it is viable enough, The Athletic claims.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/stefan-johansen-and-qpr-what-do-we-know-so-far-is-a-move-likely-to-happen-this-month/

WhiteJC

When Simon Morgan and Steve Hayward knocked Aston Villa out of the FA Cup

Twenty two years ago today, little old Fulham made the football world sit up and take notice. They had been the moneybags of the lower leagues for a little while, with Mohamed Al Fayed's takeover at Craven Cottage and a sprinkling of star dust of big names sparking a push for promotion from the Second Division, after the harsh dismissal of cult hero Micky Adams made way for Ray Wilkins and Kevin Keegan – but a January trip to Premier League leaders Aston Villa in the FA Cup had the Whites firmly in the footballing spotlight.

A visit to Villa Park was particularly special for two Fulham stalwarts. Simon Morgan, who had toiled away as a tenacious utility man for more than a decade in the club's darkest days, grew up as a massive Birmingham City supporter. He was inconsolable as a youngster when John Mitchell's late winner settled the 1975 FA Cup semi-final replay in Fulham's favour and was never going to miss the chance to take on Villa, even if he hadn't played since December having injured his calf. There was something written in the stars about how he soared effortlessly to head home Steve Hayward's corner after just eight minutes.

Hayward, a star of the Carlisle side that had earned promotion alongside the Londoners from the Third Division, became a regular fixture in the Whites' midfield for a few years – an understated but classy performer alongside far more prominent names – was a boyhood Villa fan, who trained with the club as a youngster before beginning his professional career with Derby County. He had spent the week organising tickets for an assorted cast of friends and family and there's a story, possibly apocryphal, that you can see some of them celebrating his deflected free-kick in the Holte End, where Hayward stood as a youngster, that doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time.

The whole day was had a dream-like quality about it. The masses of Fulham fans heading to the Midlands by train, car and coach then staring disbelievingly as their yellow-shirted heroes completely outplayed John Gregory's league leaders. It was the day that you felt the Whites were finally going places. Keegan's tactical masterstroke – switching to a back three to mirror Villa's own system – worked so flawlessly that Maik Taylor was only seriously troubled once, when Julian Joachim raced clear but couldn't convert. Morgan slotted in alongside Chris Coleman and Kit Symons, whilst the likes of Hayward, Wayne Collins and veteran Paul Bracewell swarmed all over Villa from first whistle to last and kept the ball with the poise of a Premier League outfit themselves.

It was also an afternoon where several Fulham stars proved they could play at the highest level. We weren't in 'Horsfield for England' territory just yet, but the big ex-bricklayer posed all sorts of problems for Gareth Southgate in the air and dovetailed brilliantly with Paul Peschisolido up front – in the typical little and large partnership. Both had chances to add an even more convincing look to the scoreline only for the now-England manager to produce last-ditch tackles. Steve Finnan, not long previously who had been a forward with Notts County, and Rufus Brevett shone as wing-backs long before the positions were in vogue and it was no exaggeration to reflect afterwards that the Whites controlled proceedings throughout.

The post-match headlines were dominated by the fact that Stan Collymore, soon to have his own underwhelming loan sepll at the Cottage, had been a no-show for the Villains. Gregory could still pick most of the side that had carried Villa to the top of the table that season and there was no tarnishing this triumph for the delirious travelling support. Fulham's Cup run, almost improbably ended by Leigh RMI in round one, would finish agonisingly at Old Trafford in round five as speculation about Keegan's departure for national service gathered pace but this was one of the finest away afternoons in the club's unique history.

ASTON VILLA (3-5-2): Oakes; Ehiogu, Southgate, Barry; Watson, Hendrie, I. Taylor, Scimeca, Wright (Vassell 59); Merson, Joachim. Subs (not used): Rachel, Grayson, Ferraresi, Hughes.

BOOKED: Ehiogu, Hendrie, Watson.

FULHAM (3-5-2): M. Taylor; Symons, Morgan, Coleman; Finnan, Collins, Bracewell, Hayward, Brevett; Peschisolido (Smith 82), Horsfield. Subs (not used): Arendse, Trollope, Salako, Hayles.

BOOKED: Finnan, Smith.

GOALS: Morgan (8), Hayward (45).

REFEREE: David Elleray (Harrow-on-the-Hill).

ATTENDANCE: 35,260.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/01/when-simon-morgan-and-steve-hayward-knocked-aston-villa-out-of-the-fa-cup/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Harrison in his best-ever form, says Parker

Harrison Reed is in the form of his Fulham life, according to Scott Parker.

The Whites are in the Premier League bottom three and have gained just one point from the last nine available.

But Reed, signed on a permanent deal from Southampton in the summer, can hold his head high, says Parker.

And he agrees with Reed, who suggested being coached by someone who in played the same central midfield role as him has made a massive difference.

Parker said: "Maybe there's an easier connection for me because of how I see that position because I have 20 years of it and it's ingrained.

"I have vast (number of) photographs (of the position) in my mind, so it's probably a little bit easier.

"I think Harrison's played the best three games of his Fulham career, to be honest.

"The last three have been tremendous and he was a vital part of what we did last year. I thought he could make the step up and he's proved that over the last few games.

"I'm pleased he's progressing and he's been given the opportunity and a platform in the Premier League to do that."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-man-in-his-best-ever-form-says-parker

WhiteJC

Sean Dyche hopes Liverpool win can provide FA Cup boost

Burnley manager Sean Dyche hopes to use their memorable win over Liverpool to further their FA Cup campaign.

The Clarets ended the Reds' 68-match unbeaten home league record and secured their first win at the ground since 1974.

Dyche now wants his players to build on the boost that has given them to push on in the cup.

"You can imagine the mood in the dressing room, it's fantastic after that sort of result," he said.

"We want to take that thinking as a collective into the cup game at Fulham.

"There has been a good feel from the recent run of games, even with a couple of losses in there, and I think the performances were at least decent.

"We want to keep that going and keep that feeling, but you have to work hard for that feeling and we will have to work hard at Fulham."

Dyche has made no secret of the fact he prioritises Premier League survival above all else.

And, while a cup run would be welcome, especially for the new owners who took control at Turf Moor at the end of last month, he cannot put too much emphasis on that.

"I've had my own little moments in the FA Cup, I think it's a fantastic competition, but the fact is for a club like Burnley it is important to continue the journey in the Premier League," he added.

"Not just because of the kudos of the Premier League, but obviously for the financial side and stability of the club.

"It was and, now there are new owners, it still will be. That will always be the focus, but when that whistle blows, trust me, we want to win games.

"It is amazing that. Everyone says it like you can have a cup run and I go, 'OK I'll deliver a cup run'.

"They've been saying it since I walked in. It's not easy winning football matches, it's not easy designing a cup run.

"Our mentality is just the next game. They (Fulham) seemed to have settled their season down after a tricky start and found a formula that seems to have brought them better results or certainly closer games."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/burnley/fa-cup/news/sean-dyche-hopes-liverpool-win-can-provide-fa-cup-boost_431779.html

filham

I can't believe we are considering a loan deal with QPR for Johanson where we continue to pay a percentage of his wages.
Surely there is a club willing to take Johanson and pay his full wages, he is such a reliable player.